Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

AccountSupervisor posted:

I also think its interesting that up until his conversation with Jor-El, Clark only assumes he cannot be harmed or killed. He has no actual concrete idea(that we know of) if someday his powers may go away, not work or fail to stop something. For all he knew that oil rig could have killed him and been his limit for what he could resist strength wise.

Oh that IS interesting, I never thought of that but I like it! His first flight definitely feels like the first time he's really testing or exploring what he can do. Whereas before any discovery of super power was probably motivated by immediate reaction to danger, either to himself or others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Robot Style posted:

I know they actually built that thing practically, which is weird since it's completely melted by the time any live-action characters actually get to the city (and is already twisted and damaged when Steppenwolf has it in the cooling tower). They also built Flash's future suit in BvS and an early version of Cyborg as physical maquettes despite being fully CG, so it could have just been for reference, but maybe it was intended to be included in the Steppenwolf version of Suicide Squad?

It's good to build physical models even if they're just going to be CGI, having a physical reference is always better than just conjuring photorealistic graphics out of the digital aether.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

McSpanky posted:

It's good to build physical models even if they're just going to be CGI, having a physical reference is always better than just conjuring photorealistic graphics out of the digital aether.

Yeah, even stand-ins are good to work from and shoot around. Most famous special effects use mixes of practical and CGI for a reason.

Technological aesthetics are always super fun in sci-fi, the classics all work around it- like Star Wars and Star Trek wouldn't be recognisable without all the signature, distinct aesthetics of technology indicating who it belongs to, how it's used and how it's treated. And even more than the Asgardians, the New Gods are top to bottom a case of science and magic being considered the same thing. I mean, Darkseid's ultimate goal being use of a math equation and all. (oddly enough, that's actually in line with Lovecraftian magic being basically use of super-advanced formulas and equations)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ugh, I've liked videos from this channel before in the past but this hits all the common tropes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlhklBTkgzI

"Zack Snyder is a Randian libertarian."
"The slow motion has no purpose."
"Zack Snyder didn't get Watchmen."

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Idk how you don’t “get watchmen” it’s just not that hard. The supposition is that a YouTuber understands story better than an established filmmaker is quite telling.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

well why not posted:

Idk how you don’t “get watchmen” it’s just not that hard. The supposition is that a YouTuber understands story better than an established filmmaker is quite telling.

Because as one one commentator put it, they own a ton of comic books and have comixology subs that far outstrip anything Snyder could comprehend.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snyder probably has first print issues of Watchmen that he bought while most of his youtube critics were in diapers.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I wonder how big this overlap is? My point is not to accuse someone of sympathizing with genocide if they don't like the movie, but more that... why isn't that awful interpretation on the right more the focal point of these pop culture discussions of both the comic and the movie? I'm just confused because I've seen Watchmen misinterpreted so often, and so wildly in favor of "moral relativism" that happens to be justifying mass murder, that it's crazy to me to focus on the most faithful "misinterpretation" of all time.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

It's insane because the man went to school for this poo poo and they act like he tripped through a radio shack and came out with a directors job.

And you know they're not being honest because no one analyzed josstice, and that poo poo is vile.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Mantis42 posted:

ugh, I've liked videos from this channel before in the past but this hits all the common tropes

here's the thing, if someone calls themselves 'just write' and they haven't actually written anything that isn't a bunch of tepid youtube pop culture videos, they're probably not actually very good at (or knowledgable about) writing.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The purpose of the slow motion is that it loving looks sick . And that reason is as good and valid as any, loving nerds. I swear he wants to make a primarily visual medium more visually boring.

Also watchmen is not rocket surgery , it’s a simple comic book about not committing genocide and how the end don’t justify the means. And it is extremely preserved in the movie.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 1, 2021

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

hump day bitches! posted:

The purpose of the slow motion is that it loving looks sick . And that reason is as good and valid as any, loving nerds. I swear he wants to make a primarily visual medium more visually boring.

Also watchmen is not rocket surgery , it’s a simple comic book about not committing genocide and how the end don’t justify the means. And it is extremely preserved in the movie.

It's also how the heroes see themselves. It's why it very abruptly cuts out during the death of the first nite owl.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mantis42 posted:

How in the sweet hell can someone come out of this movie thinking it's right wing

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

2house2fly posted:

How in the sweet hell can someone come out of this movie thinking it's right wing

like this

"The problem is that Snyder only believe is a particular type of "unity" that is also false. It isn't unity what he believes, he believes in individualism. Take what JustWrite stated about Cyborg, with that type of technology he probably would do WAY more good working on economics and helping the capitalistic system become more fair. But Snyder, being a Rand-ian-Head, don't believe in caring about people outside his social bubble. The worse still example is Father Kent's quote on how probably it would've been better if Clark hadn't saved a bus full of kids, or the more idiotic scene where he faces a freaking tornado to safe a dog instead of having his All-Powerful adopted son do it for him. Snyder framed it as if Father Kent were sacrificing himself, but to me it just looks like a dumbass decision. You are in a crisis and you decide the best thing to do is to face a tornado? Really? That screams individualism all through it. Superman is the symbol of hope, a hero that would try to save everyone, and Snyder ruined him."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Individualism is when you do something, rather than having someone else do it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Horizon Burning posted:

like this

"The problem is that Snyder only believe is a particular type of "unity" that is also false. It isn't unity what he believes, he believes in individualism. Take what JustWrite stated about Cyborg, with that type of technology he probably would do WAY more good working on economics and helping the capitalistic system become more fair. But Snyder, being a Rand-ian-Head, don't believe in caring about people outside his social bubble. The worse still example is Father Kent's quote on how probably it would've been better if Clark hadn't saved a bus full of kids, or the more idiotic scene where he faces a freaking tornado to safe a dog instead of having his All-Powerful adopted son do it for him. Snyder framed it as if Father Kent were sacrificing himself, but to me it just looks like a dumbass decision. You are in a crisis and you decide the best thing to do is to face a tornado? Really? That screams individualism all through it. Superman is the symbol of hope, a hero that would try to save everyone, and Snyder ruined him."

I feel unwell.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
my favorite part of that post is the bit where it's like 'superman would save anyone' and misses how superman's dad didn't want him to do it, and superman obeyed his wishes and it haunts him. this is called internal conflict. not randian individualism or whatever the gently caress.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's individualism because Papa Kent wanted all the glory for himself and was so libertarian he believed he could stop the tornado with his sheer faith in the free market. At least that's what I saw in the movie I watched.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

It's also how the heroes see themselves. It's why it very abruptly cuts out during the death of the first nite owl.

I was thinking more of JLs slow mo.

There are almost unlimited reasons why you could use slow mo.From the basic that it looks sick as to the most cerebral as comic book movie metacommentary.
He is simply refusing to engage at any level with the movie.He is providing no analysis at all, and his job is video essayist/pop culture analyst

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Oh my GOD that video says that Dawn Of The Dead promotes a fundamentalist Christian worldview. I've got to rewatch that loving movie because this is like the third time I've seen someone say that even though it sounds like insane nonsense

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

hump day bitches! posted:

I was thinking more of JLs slow mo.

There are almost unlimited reasons why you could use slow mo.From the basic that it looks sick as to the most cerebral as comic book movie metacommentary.
He is simply refusing to engage at any level with the movie.He is providing no analysis at all, and his job is video essayist/pop culture analyst

I thought nothing could top the lack of engagement of that Entertainment Weekly (?) one who watched part of episode 1 of The Witcher and then skipped to part of episode 5 because they heard stuff happens at the end of that one and reviewed the entire season based on that.

2house2fly posted:

Oh my GOD that video says that Dawn Of The Dead promotes a fundamentalist Christian worldview. I've got to rewatch that loving movie because this is like the third time I've seen someone say that even though it sounds like insane nonsense

:laffo: no loving way, just reading it in your post secondhand made me feel like I was having a stroke because that is so incredibly far away from that flick.

Is it just like, a lot of people died and only a few people are left so it's basically a Left Behind movie? Like how do you even

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 1, 2021

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

2house2fly posted:

"There's a televangelist who says some crazy stuff on the TV. Because we've already decided the director is a Christian extremist fascist Randian, the televangelist must be right."

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

A far as "the only satisfying end for Batman is for him to give up being Batman but the business means we can't have that" stories go, Azbat ditching the bat-baggage on his crawl up from a metaphorical grave is a good one.

I had the Batman: Knightfall audio play as a kid (on cassette, jesus) and this is the bit I always remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCBc1Gxo-M&t=10132s

Also listening to it again its obvious how much Jean Paul valley is just Bruce only slightly more off the deep end. The end with him going backwards up the cave is so great.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 1, 2021

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Mantis42 posted:

I watched some of this and yeah it’s a bad video that parrots the same talking points from other creators. Has nothing new or interesting to say, just “Snyder Bad”.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

cargohills posted:

"There's a televangelist who says some crazy stuff on the TV. Because we've already decided the director is a Christian extremist fascist Randian, the televangelist must be right."

Ah, the Fisher model of literary analysis: whatever the preacher says is the truth.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I feel like this never got mentioned until the Maggie Mae Fish video and now it's a bedrock claim about the man by his haters.

It's also really funny because, is Snyder an Objectivist or a fascist or a Christian Science fundamentalist? Those are all very different ideologies.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Chairman Capone posted:

I feel like this never got mentioned until the Maggie Mae Fish video and now it's a bedrock claim about the man by his haters.

It's also really funny because, is Snyder an Objectivist or a fascist or a Christian Science fundamentalist? Those are all very different ideologies.

Pretty much, they're meme arguments. The people making them don't care about what those ideologies actually espouse, they just know they're bad things. So because they've already decided "Snyder bad", he must be every bad thing. Hell, I've seen people say that only GGers like Snyder movies, it get's pretty absurd for a dude who's only "crime" is making movies that some people don't like.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Agent Rush posted:

Pretty much, they're meme arguments. The people making them don't care about what those ideologies actually espouse, they just know they're bad things. So because they've already decided "Snyder bad", he must be every bad thing. Hell, I've seen people say that only GGers like Snyder movies, it get's pretty absurd for a dude who's only "crime" is making movies that some people don't like.

It's totally cool how idiots on twitter compare Snyder fans to terrorists and call them fascist, totally sane behavior

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What BVS version for the first time ? Sorry. I got people interested in watching it .

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Def the ultimate edition. I think the consensus is basically that the ultimate would be better if a few bits were cut, but it suffers less for having that stuff than the theatrical cut suffered for not having all the stuff it cut

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A fusion of the two is the better movie, but Ultimate is fine at home where you can pause and take breaks.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

euphronius posted:

What BVS version for the first time ? Sorry. I got people interested in watching it .

Ultimate 100%.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

euphronius posted:

+1 for Ultimate Edition

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ultimate's the way to go. Theatrical is for the crazy hardcore fans.

Even beyond the reasons above (a better and more complete story, better characterization and motivations, ect.) the Ultimate got an IMAX release not long ago and it also have slightly different color grading that make the images sharper and a bit more colorful.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

My ideal would be Ultimate without the Flash time travel scene which is confusing if you don't really know DC, the JL teasing sequence that gets in the way of the pacing of the film and, tbh, the Knightmare scene which as much as I love gets in the way of BvS being able to stand on its own as it's own movie and not just a teaser for justice league.

That alone would bring it down to like 2.5hrs to 2 hours and 45 minutes which is a pretty easy and self contained watch.

But otherwise I would say the Ultimate is the better film. The theatrical is about the world reacting to Superman whereas the Ultimate puts the focus back on Superman dealing with the world reacting to him which gives him much more of a role in the film. Also while a lot of subplots are easy enough to follow in the theatrical it really does make a difference being told that the Senate are mad at Superman disrupting a CIA black ops mission in Nairomi as opposed to actually being shown a whole sequence of the CIA trying to cover up their gently caress up with a convenient drone strike and Superman tearing that poo poo down. The whole Ultimate edition is full of stuff that really shows and gives context to a lot of scenes compared to the theatrical and adds far more depth to things.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

My ideal would be Ultimate without the Flash time travel scene which is confusing if you don't really know DC, the JL teasing sequence that gets in the way of the pacing of the film and, tbh, the Knightmare scene which as much as I love gets in the way of BvS being able to stand on its own as it's own movie and not just a teaser for justice league.

That alone would bring it down to like 2.5hrs to 2 hours and 45 minutes which is a pretty easy and self contained watch.

But otherwise I would say the Ultimate is the better film. The theatrical is about the world reacting to Superman whereas the Ultimate puts the focus back on Superman dealing with the world reacting to him which gives him much more of a role in the film. Also while a lot of subplots are easy enough to follow in the theatrical it really does make a difference being told that the Senate are mad at Superman disrupting a CIA black ops mission in Nairomi as opposed to actually being shown a whole sequence of the CIA trying to cover up their gently caress up with a convenient drone strike and Superman tearing that poo poo down. The whole Ultimate edition is full of stuff that really shows and gives context to a lot of scenes compared to the theatrical and adds far more depth to things.

ZSJL elaborates a bit on the Knightmare sequences, so I'd def not skip it. Also it's Mad Max Batman, what's not to love?

Go with the Ultimate Edition, Euphronius. It basically puts back all the Superman bits the theatrical cut out and provides context to Clarks actions.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not enough people have seen man of steel so we started with that again

It’s amazing.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

In BvS there's a scene where Superman is in the middle of a horrible disaster. In the Ultimate Edition he sticks around and helps the EMTs rescue people. In the theatrical version he runs away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

euphronius posted:

Not enough people have seen man of steel so we started with that again

It’s amazing.

:amen: