Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

pidan posted:

Oh, no one told you?

Huh, the more you know.

What about farts

E: fart snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Have another Windkraftfoto I made.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Zwille posted:

Since when do shadows make sounds?

They don't

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

There is a widespread German delusion that they produce a lot of ~Infraschall~ which is supposed to cause every disease know to man ranging from anxiety to margellons. Infraschall is not bewusst warnehmbar, so you don't hear it. You just notice the effects.

I read yesterday that you might still be able to receive AZ as young person after a special Beratungsgespräch with your Arzt and signing some kind waiver that you understand the risks or something? I dunno, maybe I just misunderstood it.

Rochen hear and "talk" (make noise) in Infraschall. So the next time a Schwertrochen pierces your heart, rest assured that at least you will be too anxious to care about bleeding out

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ephex posted:

They don't

Der Tup hat misch genervt!

oh ne wadde das war Ice, ich hatte Shadow selten in meiner Truppe

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

Germ-any Discussion: zackige Allianz

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

JA is extremely good and definitely my friend. Didn't play it in a long while though as I never figured out how to make it and the older mods play nice with multi-core CPUs

Also Grunty was mandatory imo

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Ivan und Igor oder geh zum Fick raus

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
now I feel old :(

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ephex posted:

They don't

:dudsmile:

Also Meltdown mwahahahaha

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Fidel and Nails. :colbert:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Son of Rodney posted:

Windräder are cool, and good, and they're my friend. I'm a renewable energy engineer working at a wind planning and management company, AMA

Okay, serious question. Is it true that most Windkrafträder are only profitable while they are subsidised and as soon as that Förderung runs out it, many owners basically tear down their working Windkraftanlagen, only to have new ones built at the same spot to get that sweet sweet money from the Staat?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Health professionals: "We must be very careful in our public statements on vaccines to make sure we don't inadvertently scare people away from them."

Horst:

quote:

Horst Seehofer lehnt Impfung mit AstraZeneca ab

Bundesinnenminister Horst Seehofer will sich nicht mit dem jetzt vor allem für ältere Menschen vorgesehenen Präparat von AstraZeneca impfen lassen. Das sagte eine Sprecherin des Ministeriums. Zuvor hatte die Bild-Zeitung berichtet, der 71-Jährige habe einen Appell von Gesundheitsminister Jens Spahn (CDU) an die älteren Kabinettskolleginnen und -kollegen, sich mit dem Mittel impfen zu lassen, zurückgewiesen. "Ich lasse mich nicht bevormunden", sagte der CSU-Politiker demnach der Bild.
https://www.zeit.de/politik/deutsch...c1ee__editorial

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Horst: the worst

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

The only good news about this is that it might turn off more people from voting CSU.

...otoh, what do I expect from a people that trotzily yells MIA SAN MIA at every turn... :eng99:

InappropriateJazz fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 1, 2021

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Tarquinn posted:

Okay, serious question. Is it true that most Windkrafträder are only profitable while they are subsidised and as soon as that Förderung runs out it, many owners basically tear down their working Windkraftanlagen, only to have new ones built at the same spot to get that sweet sweet money from the Staat?

Jein, and kind off.

The stromgestehungskosten (lifetime kost of planning, building, maintaining the turbines) of wind energy has become quite low per kWh, around 4 to 5 cent with cutting edge turbines. They are now as cheap or cheaper than coal. The important thing is plannability, you need to know how much cent per kWh you get per turbine in order to see if its profitable. Wind energy is still dependent on subvention that sets a fix amount over a 20 year lifetime, but it's going to become possible to run them without subvention in just a few years. It's important to remember that the "they're only profitable because of subventionen!" claim can be applied to other energy forms as well, coal and nuclear both get heavily subventioniert, it's not unique to renewables. They did need and did receive huge subventions the last few decades, because otherwise they would never have come so far.

The second point is a bit of a misunderstanding, what you mean is repowering. When a turbine is older than 20 years the subvention runs out and they only get money from the normal market going forward. Old turbines are usually pretty out of date and don't produce a lot because they're small scale compared to modern turbines, and they often stand at very profitable locations which are rare nowadays. Adding increased maintenance costs on top of that they often don't continue being profitable, so bigger, mordern turbines are built instead. If you can replace your old turbine with 800 kWh capacity with a 5 MWh turbine you get a lot more money and they cost a lot less to run going forward. It's not like perfectly fine old turbines are teared down that could have worked for many more years, it's more like replacing an old refridgerator that is less effective.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Son of Rodney posted:

Jein, and kind off.

The stromgestehungskosten (lifetime kost of planning, building, maintaining the turbines) of wind energy has become quite low per kWh, around 4 to 5 cent with cutting edge turbines. They are now as cheap or cheaper than coal. The important thing is plannability, you need to know how much cent per kWh you get per turbine in order to see if its profitable. Wind energy is still dependent on subvention that sets a fix amount over a 20 year lifetime, but it's going to become possible to run them without subvention in just a few years. It's important to remember that the "they're only profitable because of subventionen!" claim can be applied to other energy forms as well, coal and nuclear both get heavily subventioniert, it's not unique to renewables. They did need and did receive huge subventions the last few decades, because otherwise they would never have come so far.

The second point is a bit of a misunderstanding, what you mean is repowering. When a turbine is older than 20 years the subvention runs out and they only get money from the normal market going forward. Old turbines are usually pretty out of date and don't produce a lot because they're small scale compared to modern turbines, and they often stand at very profitable locations which are rare nowadays. Adding increased maintenance costs on top of that they often don't continue being profitable, so bigger, mordern turbines are built instead. If you can replace your old turbine with 800 kWh capacity with a 5 MWh turbine you get a lot more money and they cost a lot less to run going forward. It's not like perfectly fine old turbines are teared down that could have worked for many more years, it's more like replacing an old refridgerator that is less effective.

What parts of old turbines can be reused? Is it mostly the generator that's out of date?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zwille posted:

I hope he steps down hard

E: not möllemann hard obv

I think we should explore all possibilities

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Greatest Living Man posted:

What parts of old turbines can be reused? Is it mostly the generator that's out of date?

No idea tbh, I don't know much about the decommissioning. Tower, cabin, generator and blades are usually matching so I wouldn't really think a lot is reused in new constructions. The blades get extremely beat up over the years too, and the tower is constantly vibrating which degrades the structural integrity. All components are usually pretty stressed, you'd be suprised how often something needs to be fixed or replaced. I would guess a lot of the stuff can get recycled though, some towers are made from concrete and those can be repurposed, metals of course, electrical components. No idea who does that though!

Here's a little chart to show the size evolution since the first few, it's pretty obvious why you can't reuse old components over the years:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Son of Rodney posted:

No idea tbh, I don't know much about the decommissioning. Tower, cabin, generator and blades are usually matching so I wouldn't really think a lot is reused in new constructions. The blades get extremely beat up over the years too, and the tower is constantly vibrating which degrades the structural integrity. All components are usually pretty stressed, you'd be suprised how often something needs to be fixed or replaced. I would guess a lot of the stuff can get recycled though, some towers are made from concrete and those can be repurposed, metals of course, electrical components. No idea who does that though!

Here's a little chart to show the size evolution since the first few, it's pretty obvious why you can't reuse old components over the years:

I had no idea Windräder grow with increasing service-life, that's so cute :3:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Bauertopf!!

Endlich mal nen Lidl gefunden der das alkoholfreie Bier auf der Palette hat und nicht nur ne handvoll 6-packs im Regal.

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

:discourse:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I had no idea Windräder grow with increasing service-life, that's so cute :3:

After 20 years they grow too big to live on land and turn into offshore turbines, the yearly migration is quite a sight to behold!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
One other thing with Windkraft is that people say "oh but they sometimes make too much Strom and that can't be stored, and then don't work for days while the wind dies down!!!" which is not wrong, but
a) nobody wants to run the entire country on Windkraft alone
b) there are storage solutions for excess Strom, like e.g. electrolysers that use it to make hydrogen that can then later, when you need it, be re-converted to energy in a fuel cell. Maybe even in a car
c) said storage and other solutions are not super well developed yet and of course they cost a lot of money. This is true for literally every new technology. Where there's political will, there's a way.

Im Umkehrschluss: if Windkraft gets more and more adapted and built, it will be more attractive to develop and build storage solutions. That's also useful technology to have for solar, and any other form of renewables that cannot give you a constant power generation. It's also useful to deal with general power spikes. Also if it's hydrogen-based, you can use that for a fuckton of stuff.

And umkehr again: of course, if you decide that nothing is useful, economical or whatever that needs supporting technologies, then you will never do anything but slightly improve existing solutions that happen to have said support network already in place. It's like if someone when the first Kraftwerk was built said "what good does this do here, my village is over there? Cables? Those are expensive and verschandel die Landschaft!"

wait the latter is still CSU line

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Simply Simon posted:

And umkehr again: of course, if you decide that nothing is useful, economical or whatever that needs supporting technologies, then you will never do anything but slightly improve existing solutions that happen to have said support network already in place. It's like if someone when the first Kraftwerk was built said "what good does this do here, my village is over there? Cables? Those are expensive and verschandel die Landschaft!"

wait the latter is still CSU line

Maybe that worked in the past, the way we're currently going we only have 50-60 years left before everything collapses on top of us.

Someone should really get those clowns into one huge room and then activate the Rave-bass, blasting "There are No Jobs on a Dead Planet" at 9001 decibels into their ears

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I really need to stop redneck-rigging my poo poo:

:chilipost:

/ninjaedit:
In case you're asking "couldn't you just lower the lamps since they're hanging by the cables in a very OSHA-esque manner?", then yes, you're absolutely correct, but that would require me to actually reach up to the Gardinendrähte from which those lamps are hanging and slowly lower the lamps before fixing the slack and securing them again instead of just stacking objects to raise the plants.

There's an 11'8"-bridge reference in there, and it was entirely unintentional.

Also, since we're apparently now impfing in Hausarztpraxen, I better see some solid loving Impfnumbers tomorrow lest I flip my poo poo*.

*I probably will not - in fact - flip anything, least of all my actual excrements, and instead just seethe deep inside like a good German

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 1, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It looks like you are wasting a lot of light there tbh.

Maybe make some upside down Aluhüte for the lamps.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also, since we're apparently now impfing in Hausarztpraxen, I better see some solid loving Impfnumbers tomorrow lest I flip my poo poo*.
Depending on the news site, numbers are ranging from 20-200 Impfdosen per week per Hausarzt.

And seriously, either make a cone out of Alufolie or get a nice reflective Lampenschirm. Although it will be a little bit sad when your lamps don't look like a Vogelkäfig going to space anymore :(

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

If we're posting chili set ups here's mine

The big one is the mother, there's a few smaller childrens behind it. Unfortunately one didn't like the reporting and is wilting, but I hope it'll recover. The lights are 4 long led leisten that I basteled a holder four out of bamboo sticks and a microphone stand. It's all pretty cheap but it got my plants through the winter more or less intact.

Chili's are very fun to grow and not that much work in the end, can highly recommend. Eating your own chili sauce is an amazing feeling. (don't ever, ever cook it without gloves though, when I did it my hands burned for about 3 days. The chili's I use are fatalii which have up to 350000 scorvil.)

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I may have mentioned it before, but I _hate_ the CDU/CSU.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
posting good vibes itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWFBpr3tvtQ

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Which finally brings us to the really important question:

How many chili growlamps can 1 Windrad power?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

It looks like you are wasting a lot of light there tbh.

Maybe make some upside down Aluhüte for the lamps.

Those lamps pack quite a punch and I never like to slam non-fully-grown plants (in this case, chilis that have either been recently been trapped in shipping boxes four 2 days or ones that are "the runt of the litter" and struggling a bit) with exposure below 50cm under the lamp.
I like to keep the potential worst-case around "they'll not recover/grow as fast as they could" while ruling out any worse outcomes. ;)

RabbitWizard posted:

And seriously, either make a cone out of Alufolie or get a nice reflective Lampenschirm. Although it will be a little bit sad when your lamps don't look like a Vogelkäfig going to space anymore :(

I'm growing chilis, my goone, I'll do a lot of dumb poo poo to overbrück the dark Jahreszeiten to zieh an some Setzlinge, but I'm not quite at the point where I'll auskleid my entire apartment with Orca-Folie for max-reflectivity and minmax the height of the growing-lamps :)
It's capsicum chinensis/annuum, and not exactly the sweet mary jane.

Son of Rodney posted:

If we're posting chili set ups here's mine

The big one is the mother, there's a few smaller childrens behind it. Unfortunately one didn't like the reporting and is wilting, but I hope it'll recover. The lights are 4 long led leisten that I basteled a holder four out of bamboo sticks and a microphone stand. It's all pretty cheap but it got my plants through the winter more or less intact.

Chili's are very fun to grow and not that much work in the end, can highly recommend. Eating your own chili sauce is an amazing feeling. (don't ever, ever cook it without gloves though, when I did it my hands burned for about 3 days. The chili's I use are fatalii which have up to 350000 scorvil.)

Welcome to the Germany thread, where we're basically a Pflanzenbörse-Facebook-group that'll occasionally melt-down over generic food/shopping/housing-preferences and politics (everyone mostly agrees that Bavaria is bad).
Please feel free to keep sharing pictures of your plants, and if you don't mind, could you give us some details for that picture?

That bonzai-esque specimen in the center of the picture interests me specifically, did you overwinter that and clear all the lower foliage, or was that happenstance?

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Can we store wind energy in chillis? Or lego?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Eating too many chilis definitely can cause a release of wind energy...

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Those lamps pack quite a punch and I never like to slam non-fully-grown plants (in this case, chilis that have either been recently been trapped in shipping boxes four 2 days or ones that are "the runt of the litter" and struggling a bit) with exposure below 50cm under the lamp.
I like to keep the potential worst-case around "they'll not recover/grow as fast as they could" while ruling out any worse outcomes. ;)

I'm growing chilis, my goone, I'll do a lot of dumb poo poo to overbrück the dark Jahreszeiten to zieh an some Setzlinge, but I'm not quite at the point where I'll auskleid my entire apartment with Orca-Folie for max-reflectivity and minmax the height of the growing-lamps :)

Welcome to the Germany thread, where we're basically a Pflanzenbörse-Facebook-group that'll occasionally melt-down over generic food/shopping/housing-preferences and politics (everyone mostly agrees that Bavaria is bad).
Please feel free to keep sharing pictures of your plants, and if you don't mind, could you give us some details for that picture?

That bonzai-esque specimen in the center of the picture interests me specifically, did you overwinter that and clear all the lower foliage, or was that happenstance?

Thanks, seems like I'm right at home here :)

The bonsai looking one is indeed one that I overwintered and had to cut down just as it was producing a bucketload of new buds because of aphids. These little fuckers are the bane of my indoor gardening the last few months, I'm spraying down and hand squashing them pretty much daily. The sticky locking things on the sides are my avocados that lost all leaves because I don't really know. I wouldn't call myself a great botanist, but at least I''m stehts bemüht :) What lamps are you using? Mine are pretty cheap and for next winter I'd like something more competent.

Hopper posted:

Which finally brings us to the really important question:

How many chili growlamps can 1 Windrad power?

depending on the lamps and turbines between 1 and 1.000.000, hth :)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem

Son of Rodney posted:

Jein, and kind off.

Ah, very interesting. Thank you very much! :)

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Chili-Frage/Beschwerde

I tried growing them last year from seed (Korean/Mexican and even ghost pepper varieties) and sie waren alle gut gekeimt.

So far so good.

Then they, die Sprossen, just did nothing, and all summer long auf der Terrasse did nothing except grow a few mm, go a little yellow and then they died im Herbst.

Wtf. Ich bin Gartenlandschaftsbauer und so was darf eigentlich nicht passieren.

Should I have kept them indoors? Was my basic rear end Blumenpflanzerde mixed with coffee grains perhaps a bad choice? I even used Teedünger ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InappropriateJazz
Aug 3, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, we understand you can't post pictures of all your plants *wink*