Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
Also armor is for dress-up and looking rad and maybe, distantly, it has skills and deco slots, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ciaphas posted:

Am I misremembering here or do you get a LOT more monster rewards solo than grouped in Hub, even discounting the Palico coming along? That doesn't seem right...
you are probably breaking more parts solo than in multiplayer for w/e reason

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Multiplayer is basically a 4-player blender and whatever poor monster happens to fall into it is juiced. I haven't managed to capture a single monster online because it keels over long before I thought we could trap & tranq it.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i was never a sns guy before but it's very good in this game, i feel. you can do a lot of mounting damage just spamming the silkbind attack that throws you at monsters and use your A attack

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Bring back SnS oils, you cowards

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Zodack posted:

Bring back SnS oils, you cowards

Oils sucked. It was just busywork and inventory management. Chaos Oil was the only good one because it was a Hunter Art.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
I fell back into great sword hard, didn't even notice sword and board oils are gone, that sucks

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Multiplayer is basically a 4-player blender and whatever poor monster happens to fall into it is juiced. I haven't managed to capture a single monster online because it keels over long before I thought we could trap & tranq it.

It probably won't help too much since 4 players is a fracas, but there's a small icon that overlays the monster's icon on the minimap, and underneath the icon on top right of your screen when it is captureable. If you're getting the spider sense that the monster should be captureable, it never hurts to check! Except for when you get bodyslammed by the monster for taking your eye off it to look at the UI. That could hurt.

Alternatively, if you think the monster should be captureable, huck a shock trap under its feet and some tranqs? If it's not ready yet, you held it still for the other three to go ham. Win-win.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

And Tyler Too! posted:

Weird, like 95% of my random pugs at HR6/7 capture. It can save you the risk of getting TPKed by a Mag divebomb or something at low health, although generally I only see around 1 cart per hunt in pugs. People generally seem competent.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Honestly I still think attack up is a trap and it's not worth it to actively focus on unless you're a speedrunner or some sort of galaxy brained guardpoint / counterattack master. I got way more effective in world when I moved away from trying to single mindedly increase my killing power and focused instead on things that kept me alive and out of danger (Stun resist, evade window, divine blessing) and the weapon specific upgrades (Power Prolonger, focus, horn mastero, Artillery, ect) than a couple points of higher raw damage.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Hub Magnamalo is a pub killer, I don't even remember him doing the 'dash around the area 3 times with explosions' move when I fought him solo. I was on a 4 person team and it still took us over 20 minutes to get him, and I had to trap him at the end because we were at 2 carts and it was likely there'd be a third.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

Honestly I still think attack up is a trap and it's not worth it to actively focus on unless you're a speedrunner or some sort of galaxy brained guardpoint / counterattack master. I got way more effective in world when I moved away from trying to single mindedly increase my killing power and focused instead on things that kept me alive and out of danger (Stun resist, evade window, divine blessing) and the weapon specific upgrades (Power Prolonger, focus, horn mastero, Artillery, ect) than a couple points of higher raw damage.

the way Attack boosts the damage you do is really wacky and the Attack Up skill ends up meaning way more than you'd think even a piddling +25 would towards ending a fight faster

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I so slow

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ok I did a multiplayer rampage quest and it was super fun. Everyone was actually coordinating pretty well and I manned a cannon and went to town. They really hand out defender tickets like candy too.

It’s funny, I usually don’t like games that are based around getting loot to craft and upgrade poo poo but the core gameplay is so loving good that it’s actually making me enjoy the overall loop. I think it helps that I’ve played all the Souls games so I’m already familiar with things like stamina management, positioning and attack animations

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Hub Magnamalo is a pub killer, I don't even remember him doing the 'dash around the area 3 times with explosions' move when I fought him solo. I was on a 4 person team and it still took us over 20 minutes to get him, and I had to trap him at the end because we were at 2 carts and it was likely there'd be a third.

When I did the hub urgent for Magnamalo we blasted through on my first try but every join request I did yesterday failed because people (not me!!!!!!!) kept dying

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I have wasted 12 tranq bombs trying to capture a monster. I've decided it's not possible and it's simply a prank on me.

And I do know about the blue icon!

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Aranan posted:

This thread moves so fast. I'm only a day behind on posts but that's like 12 pages. Apologies for responding to old poo poo.

If a monster runs through the bats (either on their own or while you're riding them), the bats will stick to the monster. The next time another monster hits the monster with bats on them (or if you slam your monster vehicle into another monster), they explode.

Can multiple bat groups be picked up at once? I think I’m gonna ride a monster through as many of those as I can then slam it into the fire vent.

I haven’t tried to get those wall clingers in sandy plains to do much yet either.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rampage needs an additional button that I can spam to tell people to ready the gently caress up.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I have wasted 12 tranq bombs trying to capture a monster. I've decided it's not possible and it's simply a prank on me.

Did you know they have to be in a trap?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

you did..... trap it too right? not just chuck 12 tranq bombs? :ohdear:

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

I'm pretty sure slapping the shoot button repeatedly is more damage on a downed monster, but I will never do that when I can charge up Dragon Piercer and make a bunch of large numbers appear on my screen. I even got Special Ammo Boost r2 to make the numbers I see like 2-3 times a hunt bigger

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Saint Freak posted:

Did you know they have to be in a trap?

I knew from the tutorial but the first time I did it not in the tutorial I thought hey maybe I can skip that part.

Your Computer posted:

you did..... trap it too right? not just chuck 12 tranq bombs? :ohdear:

Yes, the second time! Then I chucked 6 tranq bombs.

The third time I thought well it's just not weak enough before I throw tranq and I accidentally killed it. :ohdear:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Ethiser posted:

Oils sucked. It was just busywork and inventory management. Chaos Oil was the only good one because it was a Hunter Art.

If I'm not hitting max gimmick and lighting my sword on fire in a variety of ways am I really playing Monster Hunter though

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It doesn't really make sense that the monster has to be in a trap before you tranq it. The tranq seems to work for as long as it takes the cats to haul the body back to camp and if you're a bad enough dude to get a tranq in a monster's face while it's moving it should go down.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

stev posted:

It doesn't really make sense that the monster has to be in a trap before you tranq it. The tranq seems to work for as long as it takes the cats to haul the body back to camp and if you're a bad enough dude to get a tranq in a monster's face while it's moving it should go down.

You can tranq them pre-trap, you just need the trap to successfully restrain them. It's just easier to tranq post-trap because you don't have to worry about wasting an extra one

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I knew from the tutorial but the first time I did it not in the tutorial I thought hey maybe I can skip that part.

Yes, the second time! Then I chucked 6 tranq bombs.

The third time I thought well it's just not weak enough before I throw tranq and I accidentally killed it. :ohdear:

Wait are throwing them or dropping them at your feet?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So, aside from Rampages, is there any kind of generated quest system in Rise ala Investigations in MHW? I'm not one of these "the grind must go on forever" people, but if it's just the basic quest system and nothing else, I'll be a bit disappointed.

I'm glad there seems to be no giant monsters at least, those were always boring slogs. But while Rampages are better than those, I still don't like how differently they play from normal hunts - like my gear I worked for and skills I built up don't matter.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 1, 2021

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait are throwing them or dropping them at your feet?

Plopping them directly beneath me. But? The monster is there, too.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Monster Hunter Megathread: These games have a lot of charm

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Can multiple bat groups be picked up at once? I think I’m gonna ride a monster through as many of those as I can then slam it into the fire vent.

I haven’t tried to get those wall clingers in sandy plains to do much yet either.

I ran through two clouds of bats at one point and they both wound up sticking, so I think so!

I have no idea what those wall clinger things do, though. I threw kunai at them once and they started spitting stuff at some of the wild felynes running around nearby, but that's about it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Plopping them directly beneath me. But? The monster is there, too.

How to capture a monster:
- Needs to be capturable (limping, blue icon on map, buddies will tell you it can be capturable)
- Needs to be in a trap (shock or pitfall)
- Needs to be hit with 2 tranq bombs or ammo (you CAN use the tranq bombs before trapping it, but they don't last long, like 1 minute or less, so it's usually better to beeline over and tranq it the second it goes in the trap)

If you're not capturing it one of these 3 conditions is not met.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Aranan posted:

I ran through two clouds of bats at one point and they both wound up sticking, so I think so!

I have no idea what those wall clinger things do, though. I threw kunai at them once and they started spitting stuff at some of the wild felynes running around nearby, but that's about it.

Looks like the rocks they shoot do KO damage

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rampage needs an additional button that I can spam to tell people to ready the gently caress up.

I spam stickers for that. :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

To be fair the prompt for readying is kinda small and I don’t think the game ever actively tells you about it

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It looks like it got ate in the speed of the thread so to explain songbirds/permabuffers:

When the game starts one of the tutorials gives you a petalce, then Ninja Dadmiral gives you more as you rank. By themselves they do nothing. When a hunt starts you seek four types of bird: max hp, max stamina, defense and attack. Your petalace choice affects how much each bird contributes to stats for that entire hunt and the maximum possible.

By the point of rank two I was seeing +8 Max HP per green bird, Max +75 HP on some aces. I wear +3 Attack/Max +25 Attack myself. Birds show up off the main roads. If you always follow the monster on the main road you'll see 1-3 birds per road at best. Wall run and take alternate routes without sacrificing too much speed(or do if you want, go exploring, get mats, etc) and you can speed up hunts by giving yourself entire armor/food/buff drug tiers of extras. Going off road also shows you where good endemic life is like beetles and spiders. It's a really nice set of synergized systems to encourage you to learn the map layouts.

Remember, petalce choice affects how fast those stats rise so pick one that gives the benefit you want from the birds you'll hit. Don't expect to cap stats per hunt unless you're desperate for an edge for a hard monster and sweep the whole thing.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 1, 2021

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Doomykins posted:

Don't expect to cap stats per hunt unless you're desperate for an edge for a hard monster and sweep the whole thing.

On the other hand, rampages seem to have a bird at the start that just juices your whole petalace.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, the endemic life system seems to be the replacement for scouting, and I like it. The only thing is, I'm not really clear on how I get new Petalaces. I don't remember ever getting more from anyone, and I just beat Magnalamo for the first time in the Village quests - did I just not notice? And are there different types of Petalaces, or are they just straight upgrades?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, the endemic life system seems to be the replacement for scouting, and I like it. The only thing is, I'm not really clear on how I get new Petalaces. I don't remember ever getting more from anyone, and I just beat Magnalamo for the first time in the Village quests - did I just not notice? And are there different types of Petalaces, or are they just straight upgrades?

You start with one then get 3 more from the leader dude. Then these 4 are upgraded (twice) at various points of the story. They basically have different thresholds of how much HP/Def/Stamina they top off and how much of each you get from the birds.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Doomykins posted:

It looks like it got ate in the speed of the thread so to explain songbirds/permabuffers:

When the game starts one of the tutorials gives you a petalce, then Ninja Dadmiral gives you more as you rank. By themselves they do nothing. When a hunt starts you seek four types of bird: max hp, max stamina, defense and attack. Your petalace choice affects how much each bird contributes to stats for that entire hunt and the maximum possible.

By the point of rank two I was seeing +8 Max HP per green bird, Max +75 HP on some aces. I wear +3 Attack/Max +25 Attack myself. Birds show up off the main roads. If you always follow the monster on the main road you'll see 1-3 birds per road at best. Wall run and take alternate routes without sacrificing too much speed(or do if you want, go exploring, get mats, etc) and you can speed up hunts by giving yourself entire armor/food/buff drug tiers of extras. Going off road also shows you where good endemic life is like beetles and spiders. It's a really nice set of synergized systems to encourage you to learn the map layouts.

Remember, petalce choice affects how fast those stats rise so pick one that gives the benefit you want from the birds you'll hit. Don't expect to cap stats per hunt unless you're desperate for an edge for a hard monster and sweep the whole thing.

Here's a Reddit post with some routes: https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/mhp4ss/a_complete_idiots_guide_to_petalaces_and/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You start with one then get 3 more from the leader dude. Then these 4 are upgraded (twice) at various points of the story. They basically have different thresholds of how much HP/Def/Stamina they top off and how much of each you get from the birds.

Oh, lol, I do have them, I never noticed.

When do more talismans unlock? And decorations?