Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cold on a Cob posted:

is it just me or is that common? why do so many women hate scarjo? like i'm not going to assume it's pettiness b/c they're usually fine w/ other women that dudes all seem to put on their top ten list
if you're not interested in loving scarjo then what she typically brings to the table is pretty limited. flat affect. very narrow shtick.

this is a priori her hoovering up roles better filled by minorities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

yeah, the complaint in my house is that she's a bad actor with some specific affect she finds annoying. also my girlfriend really hates it when old men are in relationships with (or loving) much-younger women in movies, and the 25-year age gap is like 2/3 of scarjo's career

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Kenny Logins posted:

my wife hates hates hates billy zane.

bummer. i know how much you enjoy titanic and the phantom

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
you know who i hate? that rat bastard son of a bitch who plays will bailey in the west wing. that rear end in a top hat is also in sports night. what a fucker.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
ok that's all valid, thx for clarifying for me. guess i never noticed because most of the movies she's in all the actors are mediocre at best lol

it was extremely lovely how they cast her in gits instead of an asian

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my gf would leave me for scarlett at the drop of a hat if she ever got the opportunity

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

my gf would leave me for scarlett at the drop of a hat if she ever got the opportunity

She told me about that

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Truman Peyote posted:

yeah, the complaint in my house is that she's a bad actor with some specific affect she finds annoying. also my girlfriend really hates it when old men are in relationships with (or loving) much-younger women in movies, and the 25-year age gap is like 2/3 of scarjo's career

that sort of adds up, especially the last part, and I'd add i just could not connect with Lost in Translation and it skewed my interest in movies she was in after

as an action movie star, when the role is appropriate, she's alright but not the standout in say the marvel franchise

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the thing i'm looking forward to in the black widow movie is the stranger things sherif taking a crack at a russian accent for an hour :allears:

my partner knows some russian and likes to critique attempts which is always amusing

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

it was extremely lovely how they cast her in gits instead of an asian
but her soul was nihongo~

Agile Vector posted:

the thing i'm looking forward to in the black widow movie is the stranger things sherif taking a crack at a russian accent for an hour :allears:

my partner knows some russian and likes to critique attempts which is always amusing

I like david harbour because he's an actor who's clearly enjoying what he does, even in that awful attempted hellboy reboot

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

i think it's fine to have visceral aversions to actors. i can't think of any of mine off hand but i'm sure i have them

for me it’s donald sutherland, he is one cheesy overacting motherfucker

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukgTo5_p7bI

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

qirex posted:

I like david harbour because he's an actor who's clearly enjoying what he does, even in that awful attempted hellboy reboot

Gentle Autist posted:

for me it’s donald sutherland, he is one cheesy overacting motherfucker

i'm for both of them for the same reason, that sort of energy comes through in their characters and it makes even bad movies fun

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i love actors who go over the top ham. it makes whatever dumb character they're playing a lot more fun

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Cold on a Cob posted:

forrest gump is truly the most boomer poo poo imaginable and everyone should watch it just so they know what they're dealing with when they talk to a boomer

plenty of podcasts out there about this very thing if any of you require confirmation bias

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Tom Hanks is cool as hell and has an obsession with typewriters, which are neat.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

more like tom wanks

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

you bastard. that man is a treasure.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Fortaleza posted:

Tom Hanks is cool as hell and has an obsession with typewriters, which are neat.

to the extent i like any celebrity tom hanks is not among the worst of them

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i can't stand owen wilson and it's a huge mark against life aquatic

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

prefect posted:

i swear, i must have whanged the left rear part of my head against the headboard or something. and it's not making my left-shoulder pain feel any better :qq:

currently explaining to myself that brain cancer happens inside the skull, where there are no nerve endings

ip man died of head cancer

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cat Face Joe posted:

wow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mystes
May 31, 2006

Good time to watch this again I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn5Tattkj_E

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cat Face Joe posted:

same

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

wes anderson movies are very bad so nbd

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

owen wilson was good in midnight in paris

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess I find owen wilson annoying but I feel like he's supposed to be annoying so it's okay?

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

woody allen is a creep but i like his movies ok

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mystes posted:

I guess I find owen wilson annoying but I feel like he's supposed to be annoying so it's okay?

yeah, exactly. he seems to be self aware of what a doofus he is

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i liked owen wilson in throw mama from the train. oweeennn!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

you don’t have a cousin joey! lmao

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Hansel is so not hot in yospos right now

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

owen wilson was in enemy lines which was very bad and so was the song in the trailer hey man nice ahot

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Hansel is so not hot in yospos right now

i read this like three times and my brain kept replacing hansel with hanson

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive never seen a woody allen film

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Jonny 290 posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

same

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

same. by the time i got into ~film~ he was already a confirmed piece of human excrement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

ugh, you are lucky. i watched annie hall years ago to see what the fussy was about and it was uh, okay? as a cultural reference point and i didn't really take much from it overall

but then i watched his magicians one a few years ago and it was all his regular elements mixed with, i dont know, victorian era crap and also the romance was *surprise* between a young woman and a much older man

the only reprieve is that allen is too old to play the older man role himself and had subbed in colin firth so the age difference was only 28 years