Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

My god, it’s really, really good so far.

The horror element and atmosphere are amazing, the ambient sounds and screams are giving me big RE4 vibes.

Some great jump scares like in the house right before the first shortcut you open up, with the dude in the wheelchair, holy poo poo.

At one point, I had slowly worked my way through the first street, to the open area where you first encounter crows, and had a tense fight with some dogs and villagers. Got backed into a corner, and somehow survived after multiple dodges with low health - only to turn around and get brained by an ogre with a brick in one hit that snuck up on me.

Called it a night after one try at Father Gasciogne. Can’t wait to play more tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oh Long Johnson posted:

plz post live thoughts throughout

this.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

The Cleric Beast is dead. Father Gasciogne... it’s complicated.

At first, I was skeptical of having to farm vials after a few tries at Gasciogne failed, but it actually forced me to explore the area a bit more thoroughly - which led me to find Cleric Beast - and experiment more with moves and tactics, and level up a bit.

I also discovered the sick saw-spear combo of R1/R1/L1. So loving cool how visceral everything is in this game.

Combat is really fun, but I’ve had to work hard to erase some of the DS muscle memory of hyper patience. My most successful attempts at Gasciogne are the ones where I stay aggressive and in his face with quick strikes, dodges and parry attempts. When I hang back and wait for an opening, it goes pretty poorly.

Cleric Beast wasn’t too bad, outside of the first attempt where he sat on my face a few times. Molotovs + oil helped a bit, and the quick hit combos were great for crippling his legs and getting out of corners/bad camera angles.

After Cleric Beast went down, I gave Gasciogne one last attempt for the night, and I basically mulched him from 100-30% without taking a hit by staying hyper aggressive.

Then, he changed into an werewolf. And then my DS1/2 instincts kicked in.

It was basically that classic cartoon scene where a character sees a ghost, does the flintstone leg thing to try and run away, but only the rug moves, piling up behind him while legs flail helplessly.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

It’s really loving cool how Gascoigne basically shows you how you’re supposed to play the game, and you have to embrace his style to beat him

Constant aggression, dodging, capitalizing on attempts to hit you when you’re down or pausing to vial

Just great game design - and made it so satisfying to beat him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quarterroys posted:

It’s really loving cool how Gascoigne basically shows you how you’re supposed to play the game, and you have to embrace his style to beat him

Constant aggression, dodging, capitalizing on attempts to hit you when you’re down or pausing to vial

Just great game design - and made it so satisfying to beat him

It only gets more awesome from here. The entire opening up through Gascoigne is one of the best designed levels I've ever played, I love the escalation of the whole thing. you start out being terrified/possibly killed by a single wolf with half health and by the end you're ripping out gasciogne's heart and being showered in his blood.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lol

https://twitter.com/kurtruslfanclub/status/1377469629841346561?s=20

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The late 00s to early 10s period will probably never be topped as a dark and stupid age for gaming trends and culture

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:blastu:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

exciting quick time events

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol christ

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

herculon posted:

exciting quick time events

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The late 00s to early 10s period will probably never be topped as a dark and stupid age for gaming trends and culture

i was pretty much completely washed out of gaming until i played dark souls

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
lol cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ll-Z_SxgU

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Sick

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

lmao hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love her.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hellyeah:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Update 292 is gonna make update 291 look like update 290.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:yosnice:

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvDQGmCeiTk

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I think this game might slowly drive me insane.

I’m playing on dad gamer hours, so usually lights are off, and everyone else in the house is asleep

I take down Blood-Starved Beast, and after being on edge from all the tension and jump scares in Old Yharnam, I figure I’ll explore Cathedral Ward a bit before calling it a night

I run into this strange tall dude with a bag, get killed, and wake up in jail???

I’m about to explore, when I hear what sounds like a woman’s voice say something, and it sounds like it’s in my house IRL. I freeze, then put the controller down.

I go upstairs, and peek in a few rooms. My wife and daughter are both asleep.

So I get back to the game, and start slowly exploring this jail while this loving creepy cult-ish choir music plays, only to get immediately blindsided by and old woman who jumps on my back and slits my throat.

I’m kinda surprised I didn’t wake anyone in the house up lol

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I don’t think I’ve gotten horror game feels like this since playing the original Resident Evil on PS1 in middle school, so goddamn good

https://youtu.be/NlQcKBUcgmA

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Quarterroys posted:

I’m playing on dad gamer hours, so usually lights are off, and everyone else in the house is asleep

I take down Blood-Starved Beast, and after being on edge from all the tension and jump scares in Old Yharnam, I figure I’ll explore Cathedral Ward a bit before calling it a night

I run into this strange tall dude with a bag, get killed, and wake up in jail???

I’m about to explore, when I hear what sounds like a woman’s voice say something, and it sounds like it’s in my house IRL. I freeze, then put the controller down.

So I get back to the game, and start slowly exploring this jail while this loving creepy cult-ish choir music plays, only to get immediately blindsided by and old woman who jumps on my back and slits my throat.

Lmao awesome

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quarterroys posted:

lmao

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Quarterroys posted:

:ck5:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/Adamantium19897/status/1375966048860712965?s=19

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
the hypogean gaol surprise is one of the best moments in the best game ever made

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Oh Long Johnson posted:

the hypogean gaol surprise is one of the best moments in the best game ever made

getting enough insight to suddenly start being able to see the amygdala sitting on oedon chapel was a big one for me

Fiend Matador fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 5, 2021

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Oh Long Johnson posted:

This and some of Bloodborne's optional areas Cainhurst and Upper Cathedral Ward will never be topped imo

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

Fiend Matador posted:

getting enough insight to suddenly start being able to see the amygdala sitting on oedon chapel was a big one for me

that and the way the world breaks down when you beat rom and the latter part of the game starts and everything is horrifying

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

stop posting untagged spoilers for the new guy you idiots

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Fungah! posted:

stop posting untagged spoilers for the new guy you idiots

My bad... got too excited thinking about Bloodborne

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite part of bloodborne is ___________the whole game.___________

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This and some of Bloodborne's optional areas Cainhurst and Upper Cathedral Ward will never be topped imo

Cainhurst sure but Upper Cathedral Ward just felt like more werewolves plus one bad boss plus one decent boss

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

The Klowner posted:

My favorite part of bloodborne is ___________the whole game.___________

Same

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Ludwig’s sword rules, but I just can’t quit the saw spear - that R1/R1/L1/R1 combo is a goomba stomp

Been making some good progress lately!

Vicar Amelia went down pretty quickly, and once I got Hendryk’s set and hosed around with some fire paper, I got Darkbeast Paal as well. Some of his swipes are nasty, so that one took more attempts.

It took until Hemwick Charnel Lane before I saw Insight affect anything. I just recently found the cauldron in hunters dream that sells things for Insight, so I bought the gear sets, after which the guys that rise up out of red clouds in Hemwick stopped spawning. Not sure if that means i should be spending or accumulating more as I go? I still have several items that give me Insight unused.

The sound design is so good! My first run through Hemwick I entered a barn with low health and no vials, climbed up a ladder and turned a corner, only to get shot and killed by a wheelchair guy hanging out in the dark. On my next pass through the barn, i realized you can hear his wheelchair squeaking on the floor below if you listen carefully. Owns.

Witches are dead, onto the password protected door and whatever is behind it.

Edit: added some spoilers for fellow noobs

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 7, 2021

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

amelia was the difficulty wall i ended up stopping at, mostly because that was the point at which i couldn't game without being interrupted pretty constantly, even at night. my kids are probably old enough that i could give it another go, but i feel like i'd have to start over from the beginning at this point.

i was also a saw spear player but every weapon is a goomba stomp in bloodborne once you get the timing down. i think if i do it over, i'll switch up weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the door is 100% my favorite small thing in the game