Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

(Post-door spoilers question) Do the alternate character versions have their own unlocks to go with having their own post-it note?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lmao:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm rusted so every run so far has one or two times where I confuse bombs, using my active item, and bringing up the map

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
OMG the new devil room Eye Of The Occult item is hilariously fun with Azazel.

The Almond milk item was a lot less fun and seemed to have some kind of lighting effect built into it that felt like it would be headache inducing too using it with Azazel or brimstone

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Um, so I just opened the game, and I'm having a real weird bug?

It shows up this for me, the old man is just The Keeper and the blank spaces are Apollyon and The Forgotten, I can play with them and their sprites show fine, but the Keeper looks like an old man and their starting items are missing sprites and names.

Did the game accidentally revert to Afterbirth? Iirc the old man was a beta Keeper or something. I didn't buy Repentance yet so it can't be that.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Probably just a weird interaction with the April Fools stuff, don't worry until tomorrow.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

John Lee posted:

Probably just a weird interaction with the April Fools stuff, don't worry until tomorrow.

...man, I'm a real April Fool, third joke today that actually got me.

I guess it's mostly we celebrate our equivalent to April Fools on December so I don't second guess everything I read.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Well that was the most Isaac run ever

First item was almond milk which I picked up because I had no idea what it was. Immediately regretted it. Scraped through the first two levels by the skin of my teeth until I nabbed scorpio which helped a ton. Then a few damage ups + Eye of Belial. Then Satanic Bible. Then it started spiraling when I got Conjoined & Tech Zero on the same floor :dogcited: I no longer regretted grabbing almond milk.

My first encounter with Mother and I barely survived with just a few hearts.

Feels good man. Game is good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Reading everyone's posts like a animal and looking forward to playing this like I'm brand-new again. Just gonna pick up literally everything to see how it's different or changed. Can't wait to gently caress myself over repeatedly as I re-learn which items are awful again

I saw someone say cursed eye is good now? How the hell

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Almond Milk + Technology + Samson is a fun combination! All those little lasers constantly firing... :science:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Reading everyone's posts like a animal and looking forward to playing this like I'm brand-new again. Just gonna pick up literally everything to see how it's different or changed. Can't wait to gently caress myself over repeatedly as I re-learn which items are awful again

I saw someone say cursed eye is good now? How the hell

It no longer teleports you if it's fully charged, only if it's charging

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PostNouveau posted:

It no longer teleports you if it's fully charged, only if it's charging

I thought that was how it worked before. But I'm probably wrong, I picked it up like a few times ever and only by accident every time after the first

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bethany is probably my favorite character now aside from Isaac. Her item is so good and has plenty of fun combinations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I thought that was how it worked before. But I'm probably wrong, I picked it up like a few times ever and only by accident every time after the first

Oh was it? I never picked it up either

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I had a fun run where I had the thing that makes your damage go up with each shot as long as you don't miss, plus soy milk and a bunch of damage ups and trinket tear effects. Ended up being a big hose of death as long as I kept hitting the target. Then I forgot I was holding the bible and used it on Satan :negative:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pumpinglemma posted:

I was actually pretty relieved when I found out they increased enemy shot speeds and charging speeds while reducing tinted rocks on hard mode, I thought I’d gone horribly rusty when I died before Mom on my first run on a fresh file.

I was pretty hosed off and came within an inch of refunding the DLC when I found out they also increased the speeds in Normal mode. Widow is just a complete gently caress you now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Unless I missed a note in the changelog, the only buff Cursed Eye got is that now it shoots 5 tears at max charge rather than 4. Since at least I started playing it didn't teleport you when fully charged. I always thought it was a bit underrated, at least if you're not prone to getting hit every five seconds.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

John Murdoch posted:

Unless I missed a note in the changelog, the only buff Cursed Eye got is that now it shoots 5 tears at max charge rather than 4. Since at least I started playing it didn't teleport you when fully charged. I always thought it was a bit underrated, at least if you're not prone to getting hit every five seconds.

Only need to get hit once when you've got a tough boss almost dead to get teleported out of the room and have to start over again (or reset)

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

drat i just beat the secret secret boss and the ending actually got me feeling emotional lol

feel like all the references to his changed point of views in the northernlion interview was a lowkey indicator of how edmund handled that ending

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

Cursed eye would teleport you while charging and SOMETIMES while at full charge. You used to be able to tell by the color of your eye when at max charge. I have no idea if Repentance changed this

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Jedit posted:

I was pretty hosed off and came within an inch of refunding the DLC when I found out they also increased the speeds in Normal mode. Widow is just a complete gently caress you now.

I just hold R every time I see pink widow. It’s too loving fast and clears the entire room in a heartbeat.

I’m generally in favor of this rebalance but some of these changes need some fine tuning. There’s an enemy on the first floor that also becomes almost impossibly fast when it catches fire, the red guys that shoot the 4-way shots I don’t know the name of.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dude i got void on bethany, voided psychic book and tarot card generator and some other question marks

now when i use her ability i get purple colored tarot card spirits. and when somebody hits one a tarot card drops

wonder how many of the new synergies are just for this bethany book lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

also ive played like 5 runs and cleared mega satan and hush and lamb on bethany hard in two of them it doesnt seem like they made getting powerful too rare now

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Super No Vacancy posted:

also ive played like 5 runs and cleared mega satan and hush and lamb on bethany hard in two of them it doesnt seem like they made getting powerful too rare now

The alt paths are where people are having the most trouble.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

well I would want the new content to be harder. just saying the fears of him making it too hard to snowball or gamebreak are probably unfounded
i have so many 0.1% of all players cheevos right now...

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Anyone know how to get the item in the trapdoor room that is completely enclosed by walls? Bombs didn't do it neither did flying.

Rooms like this

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah. it feels like the mind-boggling increase in item synergy has allowed more runs to snowball but not quite out of control like the previous synergies would. it feels good to me so far

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

well I would want the new content to be harder. just saying the fears of him making it too hard to snowball or gamebreak are probably unfounded
i have so many 0.1% of all players cheevos right now...

Speaking of those my steam only shows me having completed 19/637 achievements in rebirth altogether. Only the ones I've done on repentance. Weird--wonder what's going on with that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

Anyone know how to get the item in the trapdoor room that is completely enclosed by walls? Bombs didn't do it neither did flying.

Rooms like this

lol the sinvicta YouTube he found a room like this, then randomly stumbled on a second crawlspace and was like "aha, I know what's gonna be down there" but then he went down there and it was the exact same room with the exact same item locked away

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Aaargh, was having a good run as the Lost for once (got Tech X, Magic Mushroom and double Blue Mushroom so I could spam mini circles for max damage) and I even got both keys for Mega Stan but then I reached Isaac and he loving spammed his beams on the side I was and died. I would be less salty if I didn't have terrible luck with Angel Rooms, if Angel Rooms had better items for the Lost and I didn't enter 2 Angel Rooms without bombs.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I guess most people are playing on older savefiles to it's not relevant to them, but as someone starting over I'm insanely grateful that donation machines don't jam anymore. Shop or greed ones, as far as I can tell. I'm glad there's no reason to play Greedier Mode more than once for each character now, because I really loving hate that boss.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
shop donation machine does jam.

i dunno about greed, but i assume they still do the thing where each time you donate the jam percentage increases. this got nerfed eventually so that the chance increases a lot slower, and in greedier mode it has its own separate counter and increases stupidly slow. its basically never over 10%

goon luck

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

They still jam, it’s just a lot lower chance than it used to be and I think there might be a minimum number of coins they are guaranteed to accept before they have a chance of jamming

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Almond Milk + Technology + Ipecac was a wild run. Rapidfire green explosion laser! If I had managed to get Pyromaniac I would have been basically invincible.

PostNouveau posted:

I've gotten several broken runs in about a dozen Repentance runs. Maybe I'm just getting lucky though.

Does it seem like Brimstone's drop rate has increased but the item itself took a bit of a damage nerf? I'm seeing it a lot.

They removed the limit on special items and replaced it with a weighting system, so you can't get locked out of it anymore. That in and of itself means it's going to show up much more often.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 2, 2021

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

PostNouveau posted:

I've gotten several broken runs in about a dozen Repentance runs. Maybe I'm just getting lucky though.

Does it seem like Brimstone's drop rate has increased but the item itself took a bit of a damage nerf? I'm seeing it a lot.

The beam dissipates more quickly, I think that's the nerf you're noticing. Speaking of Brimstone, I was very pleased to find out that it if you get multiple copies it now stacks with itself for a double-wide beam-- pretty sure it used to do absolutely nothing.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grabbing both items with Jacob and Esau is the most satisfying feeling.

Least satisfying is going into some spike trap room and my brain turns to jelly and lose half their health or worse.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just tried my first Jacob and Esau run and broke my brain similarly to my first ludovico technique run

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Just tried my first Jacob and Esau run and broke my brain similarly to my first ludovico technique run

Just wait till you get a J&E PLUS Ludovico run. I lost shortly after, just because it was so hard to actually shoot things.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
decided to hit Random, and landed on Eve. got book of the dead on first devil room so said why not and went for the antibirth path. first time i found the knife pieces and died to the Corpse II boss. Had bloody recharge, scythes, bookworm, stopwatch. a lot of godly poo poo but no matter what stuff you got, unfamiliarity with boss patterns will always gently caress you up. RIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Ed sure does love mobs that puke other mobs or explode into random raining tears. Feels like most of the new mobs are some combination of those two. and pills are still awful.