Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played a LOT of monster hunter yesterday and went from a rarity 2 hammer to a rarity 5 hammer so I can’t quite tell if it’s just that I lost my frame of reference

But with blue sharpness, HH buffs is the Hammer 2 wirebug move supposed to do... 680 damage hitting the head of a rathian in a 5* hub hunt?

I love hammer so much. It’s making me like the game more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Almudron is cool as hell but boy am I bad at fighting him.

Hellioning posted:

Rajang is immune to 3 elements which is very rude when you bring one of those three elements to fight him.

Classic rajang.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Okay I don't know why I ever was bouncing around weapons I can't get enough of Hunting Horn now. I just unlocked 3* village which opened up Kula-Ya-Ku which I hear is a good set for HH. Looks like I'll bonk the chicken a few times to get that then.

Any HH users got any insight on good actual horns to aim for? I'm using the Ice Bnahabra horn right now which has Health Regen, Stamina Use Down, and Sonic Wave.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Okay I don't know why I ever was bouncing around weapons I can't get enough of Hunting Horn now. I just unlocked 3* village which opened up Kula-Ya-Ku which I hear is a good set for HH. Looks like I'll bonk the chicken a few times to get that then.

Any HH users got any insight on good actual horns to aim for? I'm using the Ice Bnahabra horn right now which has Health Regen, Stamina Use Down, and Sonic Wave.

Magnamalo one has a great song list. Sonic barrier gives your party rocksteady mantle.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Get a good horn that doesn’t have an element. The azuros horn has been my go to because it has attack up.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mightygerm posted:

Magnamalo one has a great song list. Sonic barrier gives your party rocksteady mantle.

This is an even better horn, but the only reason I didn’t mention it is that fighting magnamalo is a little bit away.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

YoshiOfYellow posted:

in LR, and with the way songs work now, the specific songs don't matter all that much, look for a strong beatstick and just keep upgrading a few different lines of horns as you get the mats.

Sonic Barrier, is new and really useful.

quote:

Contrary to its official in-game description, Sonic Barrier doesn't negate damage. Instead, you and your teammates gain a barrier that negates getting flinched or knocked back by attacks, getting stunned from roars, wind pressure, and tremor once. But considering how spammable all the melodies are, you can virtually be immune to anything that can stun you!
I've also always like earplugs/windproof/tremor resist on HH.

in HR when we get Horns with like ATK (L) and ATK and Def songs you'll wanna aim for those as well.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tbh it seems like basically everyone wants a narga weapon. Piles of affinity are hard to beat, and having an affinity up song on top of that for the horn is v nice.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Yeah I figure HH is ultimately gonna be a raw weapon rather than element. I kinda just went with the ice variant of this one because Health Regen & Stamina Consumption sounded neat to have in one package.

Appreciate the tips!

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

The lance is just absolutely filthy. The silkbind counter that also powers up your attacks is just so satisfying. As is being able to leap at a monster from about 50 metres away and poke them in the face.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sonic barrier chat: Echo mode, play song with zR, immediately into magnificent trio and then Earthshaker is amazing. You'll tank some damage, but the monster is gonna be hurting more and probably knocked down or stunned. Feels cool to just play songs right in an angry monster's face like a maniac.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Sonic barrier chat: Echo mode, play song with zR, immediately into magnificent trio and then Earthshaker is amazing. You'll tank some damage, but the monster is gonna be hurting more and probably knocked down or stunned. Feels cool to just play songs right in an angry monster's face like a maniac.

Yeah HH is absolutely wild now, I'm actually happy when i get interrupted like half way through magnificent trio some times because i took very little damage and I still have the trio up and ready to start again.
(you absolutely should not be allowed to get like 9/10ths of the hits on the monster and keep the activation if you're interrupted)

I'm normally a 100% capture hunter but i've accidentally killed 3 monsters already just going buck wild with HH and not realizing how much i've already done.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 2, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If you haven't yet, look at the little box at very top of the Toadversary. Then stun it (impact damage to the head, paralysis, whatever), run around it, and look at the back of its shell.

This game :allears:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Okay I've played with more weapons and I'm realizing one thing I really like is landing counters, something about super aggressive playstyles and being able to keep up with your opponent is very fun for me. Part of why I like gunlance so much, it's just a constant onslaught of bullets and I can just counter anything (well, not anything) they do.

Anything else sound similar to that?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thumbtacks posted:

Okay I've played with more weapons and I'm realizing one thing I really like is landing counters, something about super aggressive playstyles and being able to keep up with your opponent is very fun for me. Part of why I like gunlance so much, it's just a constant onslaught of bullets and I can just counter anything (well, not anything) they do.

Anything else sound similar to that?

Lance or charge blade probably

Lance is like turning fights into a boxing match and being super aggressive and mobile despite how it first appears. Charge blade is slightly more complicated with the way the phials work but has guard points in its combos that you can use to automatically shield attacks or roars or whatever mid combo and continue beating things up

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I've been meaning to learn charge blade but it seems like the ridiculously complex tryhard weapon and it makes my brain hurt when people try and explain it

that being said it is neat

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

so theres this weapon called sword and shield. it has 1 move where you counter by jumping up and smacking the monster in the face with your shield then coming down and doing a fuckton of damage.

it's pretty cool.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Thumbtacks posted:

I've been meaning to learn charge blade but it seems like the ridiculously complex tryhard weapon and it makes my brain hurt when people try and explain it

that being said it is neat

Charge blade isn't as bad as it seems if you just want the super basic version. Hitting things in sword mode charges phials, which you gotta slam in your shield. Your shield turns into your axe when you transform your weapon which uses up those phials when attacking to do extra damage and stuff.

Start in sword, build up monster hurting juice, switch to axe, unleash big hits. That's basically it

90% of that stuff about guard points can be broken down to "oh hey when I do this move my character ends with their shield arm in front" but can be ignored until you get comfortable with the weapon.

I have like a thousand hours between 4U and gen and if I'm being honest lance is more intimidating than charge blade to me. Charge blade you can kinda fumble around and things work out, lance players will talk about how simple the weapon is but are so good at it all footage looks like it's out of devil may cry

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 2, 2021

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I main switch and so far that’s all I’ve been playing, but I’ve been having a hard time with how unbelievably slow the gauge fills up to get Overcharge mode. My roommate has been telling me how easy it is for him to get Overcharge mode and watching him play, his gauge fills up literally 3 times easier than mine under identical conditions.

Can anyone fill me in as to what’s up? Mine is the top video. I do a regular sword mode slash into the phial explosion and my bar goes about one third the way up. My roommate will do the exact same combo and his gauge fills up completely.

https://imgur.com/a/o8eIYeM

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Reiche posted:

I main switch and so far that’s all I’ve been playing, but I’ve been having a hard time with how unbelievably slow the gauge fills up to get Overcharge mode. My roommate has been telling me how easy it is for him to get Overcharge mode and watching him play, his gauge fills up literally 3 times easier than mine under identical conditions.

Can anyone fill me in as to what’s up? Mine is the top video. I do a regular sword mode slash into the phial explosion and my bar goes about one third the way up. My roommate will do the exact same combo and his gauge fills up completely.

https://imgur.com/a/o8eIYeM

It sounds like you are using an Impact type switch axe

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I’ll say it: hunting horn is the new longsword.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Kobogartimer posted:

It sounds like you are using an Impact type switch axe

Power phial, but yeah, power is the "generically useful" switch axe type that comes at the cost of it taking longer to charge up.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Triarii posted:

Power phial, but yeah, power is the "generically useful" switch axe type that comes at the cost of it taking longer to charge up.

Yeah somehow I’ve been using only power phials (thanks GU). I switched to element/dragon/poison/etc phials and my gauge filled up lickety-split. My god I’ve been playing this game on some self imposed hard mode lol

So now my question is, why the gently caress would I ever use a power phial now when every other type fills my gauge to murder mode 3x faster.

I did a quick fight and wow did things go soooooo much faster.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Magna Kaser posted:

so theres this weapon called sword and shield. it has 1 move where you counter by jumping up and smacking the monster in the face with your shield then coming down and doing a fuckton of damage.

it's pretty cool.

SnS has a counter?

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Lol, I main swaxe and still get the name wrong

Ciaphas posted:

SnS has a counter?

I think he's referring to the third unlock skill, but it also does have a counter, on R2 + A. It follows up into the leap beginning a perfect rush (X) or skips the leap and gets right into it (A).

Kobogartimer fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 2, 2021

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

metsu shoryugeki is the best skill in the game. 90% of my hunts are just trying to use it in cool ways.

Kobogartimer posted:

I think he's referring to the third unlock skill, but it also does have a counter, on R2 + A. It follows up into the leap beginning a perfect rush (X) or skips the leap and gets right into it (A).

this counter is v bad, unless I'm just not big brained enough for it which is a big possibility. It seems like if the attack is big enough you get knocked back anyway (tho you don't take any chip, so it seems better than just blocking) so you cant do the followup, and often times you don't have enough time to do a perfect rush/leap anyway.

No idea if guard helps this at all.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

this counter is v bad, unless I'm just not big brained enough for it which is a big possibility. It seems like if the attack is big enough you get knocked back anyway (tho you don't take any chip, so it seems better than just blocking) so you cant do the followup, and often times you don't have enough time to do a perfect rush/leap anyway.

No idea if guard helps this at all.

You need guard for it to even be an option and you need to time it absolutely perfectly to be allowed to do the counter part. I doubt its worth it but I like that it exists I guess.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Reiche posted:

Yeah somehow I’ve been using only power phials (thanks GU). I switched to element/dragon/poison/etc phials and my gauge filled up lickety-split. My god I’ve been playing this game on some self imposed hard mode lol

So now my question is, why the gently caress would I ever use a power phial now when every other type fills my gauge to murder mode 3x faster.

I did a quick fight and wow did things go soooooo much faster.

Power phial weapons boost your damage in sword mode (all the time, not just once you've filled the meter) so you're giving that up if you use a different type. In the past that was pretty much just better than the added element or status you'd get from the other phial types, but now that the other types can get to the amped state faster to offset the damage loss, it might be worth using them.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Triarii posted:

Power phial weapons boost your damage in sword mode (all the time, not just once you've filled the meter) so you're giving that up if you use a different type. In the past that was pretty much just better than the added element or status you'd get from the other phial types, but now that the other types can get to the amped state faster to offset the damage loss, it might be worth using them.

Yup my knowledge of power versus element comes from GU where the power was a 20% static boost in sword mode. Now that I know the difference it doesn’t seem enough to offset how much quicker you can fill your gauge.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Reiche posted:

Yup my knowledge of power versus element comes from GU where the power was a 20% static boost in sword mode. Now that I know the difference it doesn’t seem enough to offset how much quicker you can fill your gauge.

I think it's made even worse now that the best damage I've found is with rapid morph and doing a loop that uses both the new morph attacks, so half axe and half sword. With the sword amped you get phial effects on the axe attacks too and those tend to be much stronger with element than power.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Kobogartimer posted:

I think it's made even worse now that the best damage I've found is with rapid morph and doing a loop that uses both the new morph attacks, so half axe and half sword. With the sword amped you get phial effects on the axe attacks too and those tend to be much stronger with element than power.

I’ll have to check that combo out! And that’s a good point, the added extra damage during axe mode when charged is fantastic. I can’t believe I’m 80 hours in using only power phials.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
They unthinkable happened last night - I tried the bow and I like it. Which shocks me because the idea of aiming range attacks with a controller is a nightmare to me but the gyro aiming works sooooo well in this game!

I'm only a few hours into the game and spent all my time either on a gathering quest or the training area. I haven't fought any large mons with the bow yet, so I guess my opinion may sour but I really like it now! I dig charging attacks and mobility and the bow seems to offer both of those things!! I'm also terrible at remembering button combos and the bow doesn't seem too complicated.

The only reservations I have are about managing the coatings, they're all consumable, correct? I assume I'll have to craft them - are the mats gathered or purchased? Is 99 the max stack for each coating? Can I take coating mats on hunts to craft extra?

I'm surprised as hell I liked the bow so much, I'm excited to give it a fair shake this weekend when I have some more time.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

You get like 50 Power Coatings from the supply box and infinite Close Range Coating. Don’t worry about crafting your on midmission until a lot later in the game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Arzuros horn was what I used early on before I switched to Magnamalo's Horn, which feels like it has a solid song list with good damage. I used that till mid HR when I was able to craft Narga's horn. Even still, I might go back to Mag's.

I dont know about kulu horn, but it does have good HR gear, which might have been what people were talking about.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 2, 2021

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
So this game is insanely addicting. I just unlocked HR, and am getting ready for end game set ups. Is there a website I can quick reference basic end game builds for every weapon? Something with good basic information for someone whose introduction to the franchise is Rise?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you've just unlocked HR you're a ways away from endgame, just keep trucking along and make stuff you think is cool.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Wildtortilla posted:

The only reservations I have are about managing the coatings, they're all consumable, correct? I assume I'll have to craft them - are the mats gathered or purchased? Is 99 the max stack for each coating? Can I take coating mats on hunts to craft extra?

I'm surprised as hell I liked the bow so much, I'm excited to give it a fair shake this weekend when I have some more time.

They are consumable, (although technically if you melee an enemy with your melee, dodgebolt, the falling portion of the jumping switch skill, etc you don't consume a charge because you didn't actually fire the arrow which can let you apply a coating without using any if you really want to melee an enemy for like two minutes straight). They're based on one attack = one phial used, so a charged attack that shoots 4 arrows will apply 4 hits of status but only use one coating making charging more efficient.

You're mostly going to buy them since they're not all that expensive, but you can craft them with empty phials and different herbs/shrooms. Max is um, I think 20 for everything except power and 50 for power? Hunts also start with some empty phials and power phials in the chest for free. You can take materials with you and craft on the go.

Not all bows can use all coatings, you can see this before you craft one. A plus sign on a coating on a bow's description means it's better at applying that coating, but I don't know the exact math behind how much better it is.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 2, 2021

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

In Training posted:

If you've just unlocked HR you're a ways away from endgame, just keep trucking along and make stuff you think is cool.

Ok this is such a weird thing to gatekeep but I'd still appreciate a reliable site to hand hold me so I can be a bit more efficient with my time.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Guilty posted:

Ok this is such a weird thing to gatekeep but I'd still appreciate a reliable site to hand hold me so I can be a bit more efficient with my time.

I'm not sure anything really exists yet? I know World had a whole bunch of Meta builds but I never remember there being a website for them.

You can try the MH Meta Subreddit. People here could also probably give advice on a per-weapon basis, but generally speaking, "meta' builds are mostly going to be "stack things that increase your damage." Then, depending on weapon, you may or may not care about having the right element.

e: Like one way I could see to be efficient as far as things go is to just focus on hard progress; do you key quests and urgents asap, since getting to high end weapons means you'll be able to hunt faster. But that might not be as fun as taking your time, so I think other people don't really like recommending that kind of thing.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
They're not gatekeeping, you are literally a very long way away from the end game so any end game build advice given wouldn't be useful unless you plan on hunting in low rank gear until you can make those high rank parts

Also the game is a week old, people are still figuring stuff out