Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I know I keep saying it but goddamn MonHun Rise is such a good game and feels so good to play. Just realised how this lance silkbug counter works (simpler than I thought it was) and I destroyed a two monster hunt. I love this game :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Absolutely not a fan of anyone adopting these bad anime style titles. Synopsis and title are different things.

Pounded In the Butt By Bad Anime-Style Titles That Are Functionally Synopses

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

I woke up early despite it being a day off, so used some time to play a little more Disco Elysium and panicked that I had a game over from reading an old letter.

Thank you Kim for looking after me.

Kim Kitsuragi will stand by your side no matter what and it is your duty to let him down at every opportunity :hai:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

"My Younger Fiancee Is Worried About Me Spending All My Time Trying To Pierce The Mysteries Of Life And Death So I Made A Big Monster Out Of Corpse Parts That's Angry At Me", Mary Shelley's pivotal work of romanticism.

Sometimes it works well. I don't think that games copying that particular style of wordy overly specific titles is meant to be a serious attempt at titling the work, just giving a relaxed and chill mood to it. A few different comedy stories come to mind, like Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, or the much less well known pen & paper rpg "Oh No I'm Late to the MCR Concert & I Have an Extra Ticket"

Then there are more some more serious works with long description names like The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Even the original Frankenstein story's full title was "Frankenstein; or, The Modern Prometheus"

Funnier still when you end up with stuff like "Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie"

ok I mainly just wanted an excuse to mention some existing long-name stuff that makes me laugh or I think is neat

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sometimes a title simply cannot be reduced, i.e. Rampaging Fuckers of Everything on the Crazy making GBS threads Planet of the Vomit Atmosphere

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

hmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

See, Yooka-Laylee came across like a cute throwback and a fun way to revisit something the devs didn't technically have the rights to.

This more just seems like a severe limitation of creativity.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The reviews just say it's a gacha game so idk what all there was to it to begin with aside from gacha

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Finished the prologues and dabbled in a couple of random other chapters. This game has so many different flavors of anime amnesia.

So far I like the UFO girl the most. I thought I’d hate soldier boy, but his period as an 80s bum endeared him to me. The first guy’s kinda generic-protagonist flavor, but the b-movie obsession is a charming wrinkle.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Anyone played that there Fantasian yet? Struggling to find impressions online beyond 'it looks nice'.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FirstAidKite posted:

hmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

This has been mobile game for ages. I tried playing it but I just got bored. There is a thread for it somewhere

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There’s a Mortal Kombat movie coming out? Only in theatres?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also gonna be on HBO Max.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I just finished Abzu. Not my typical sort of game but I love fish so it was a pretty neat experience imo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I also started Disco Elysium this morning as well as playing a bit of Sekiro. Lots of game hopping going on over here

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

So I tried Metal Gear Solid 3D on the 3DS again, and is it normal for aim and fire to be on the triggers? Because that seems useful. Except the 3DS version with Circle Pad Pro enabled places those actions on L2/R2 which are loving interior buttons! Who the gently caress designed this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Walla posted:

So I tried Metal Gear Solid 3D on the 3DS again, and is it normal for aim and fire to be on the triggers? Because that seems useful. Except the 3DS version with Circle Pad Pro enabled places those actions on L2/R2 which are loving interior buttons! Who the gently caress designed this?

That’s pretty much been the norm of the series since MGS4, yeah.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
MGS4: This splitscreen sequence is probably really cool but I'm too busy trying to survive to properly appreciate it

Raiden now is not the time to be talking about eggs!

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

morning gamers

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1377962538046996484?s=21

Between this and fantasian I might have to pay Apple 4.99 and hook up a DualShock to my Apple TV

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol Otacon's crying over a dead woman again. He sure knows how to pick em, huh?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
METAL GEAR SLAPFIGHT AAAAAAAA :supaburn:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Between the Ocelot Mt Rushmore, Raiden cutting off his own arm and Raiden holding back a battleship the end of this chapter might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen :stare:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Goddamnit, my girlfriend and I both got Logitech g935s and both have poo poo themselves in the same way just after the 2 year mark. We're not harsh on these things and they live in their own little stands on our desks. Does anyone have any recommendations for wireless headsets that have some semblance of build quality?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1377971829076340745?s=20

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm really digging the dying man needs to do one last job vibe going on here. It's very Hollywood

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

The 'look we make all of our money in microtransactions' flex.

Not that I'm complaining. Johnny Dirtbag Jr. must continue his Road.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also digging the 'all your friends and allies show up for one last stand' vibe too

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I'm looking for a game I've read in a game magazine all the way back in early 2000s. It's a Japanese game where you control an excavator or a crane, sometimes to ridiculous situations. The same magazine also has a walkthrough of Sonic Adventures 2 (I remember tip on how to defeat Sonic as Shadow), so it's probably on the first half of the 2000s. Anyone have any idea?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

A quick google tells me it's probably Power Shovel (psx)?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

wuggles posted:

morning gamers

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1377962538046996484?s=21

Between this and fantasian I might have to pay Apple 4.99 and hook up a DualShock to my Apple TV

this is so weird. game was announced close to three years ago, then complete silence on the game for two years, now it releases with zero fanfare and buried at the bottom of an Apple Arcade press release

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Barry Convex posted:

this is so weird. game was announced close to three years ago, then complete silence on the game for two years, now it releases with zero fanfare and buried at the bottom of an Apple Arcade press release

Yeah it's a platinum game

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

spent my morning exploring the lava caverns

I met a khezu

I made it wish it hadn't met me :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm the apple arcade nerd of the thread so i should mention the deluge of stuff they added today

first, about Fantasian, it looks like it has one of Lost Odyssey's lore systems:

quote:

To tell an epic story, a ‘novel’ approach was used in the form of a “Memory” system where players encounter and collect various memories, journal entries, and notes presented as miniature in-game novels to flesh out the story, realms, and characters of Fantasian. These bite-sized novels have unique artwork, music, and sound effects to offer players a truly immersive experience.

secondly, they added 'classics' which i guess are premium no-ad versions of classic ios games. this includes: Threes, The Room 2, Don't Starve: Pocket Edition, Reigns, Really Bad Chess, Monument Valley, Mini Metro, Sudoku Simple (and Good Sudoku), Spelltower, Solitaire (and Flipflop Solitaire), Mahjong Titan, Fruit Ninja Classic, Tiny Crossword, Cut the Rope Remastered, Chess, Backgammon, Checkers Royal, Chameleon Run, Blek, and Badland.

and for the actual new games...

as mentioned, Fantasian by Mistwalker

World of Demons by PlatinumGames (DeNA is no longer involved, it is just a pure action game)

Clap Hanz Golf by Clap Hanz (looks similar to their Vita game World Invitational)

Taiko no Tatsujin Pop Tap Beat by Namco

NBA2K1 Arcade Edition by 2K

The Oregon Trail and SongPop Party by Gameloft

a Simon's Cat match 3 game

a very mobile-rear end Star Trek game

and Wonderbox which is a game I tried last night and thought was neat. it's basically Toad Treasure Tracker but Zelda. So you have the box dioramas, and you need to rotate the camera around to see all the hidden crevices and such... but you also have Zelda tools you can get, like sword, shield, bow & arrow, grapple hook, bombs, and a deku leaf-ish thing that initially gives you a gust up into the air then glides. The rooms are of course Treasure Tracker size so not large, but they can be connected together to form a proper level. i mention that because in addition to the campagn levels provided, the game also has a full level/campaign editor and is meant to be as much about playing other people's creations as theirs. that said, there are a few campaigns at launch and a lot of individual levels made by the developer as well. and you have a home area that you can decorate and gently caress around in as well

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

wuggles posted:

spent my morning exploring the lava caverns

I met a khezu

I made it wish it hadn't met me :)

Never even saw you comin'

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm spending my morning in the hospital! (Nothing serious, I got chest pains and panicked but luckily it's not a heart problem. :v:)

Just biding my time here, playing an idle game on my phone and reading manga.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Arzaac posted:

I'm spending my morning in the hospital! (Nothing serious, I got chest pains and panicked but luckily it's not a heart problem. :v:)

Just biding my time here, playing an idle game on my phone and reading manga.

get better soon mate

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ZAGREUS
in the name of hades, Games Chat Thread, I request your help in this journey:

ArfJason posted:

i dont know how active this is but might as well try:

A friend from an old community sent me a dm with a strange request. Some dudes have been tracking down players from around the 2009 era. They are trying to archive as many old versions of minecraft as they can. Since i played the very first demos before there was an infdev version (hell, even an "indev" version), he asked if he could have my contact info, which my friend obliged. I checked in my folders and my oldest minecraft.jar dates to 2011.

I dunno why but i kinda want to help him out at least by asking here. does anyone have older versions archived in any way? I assume if anyone holds old archaic poo poo its something awful goons, so any help would probably be very welcome by those dudes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol Johnny hitting the side of the ship at the start of the mission, dude just can't not gently caress up :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
It looks like I have a Minecraft version dated 2010-07-11 somewhere. Is that old enough?

There are also some old versions on a certain pirate site, but they are without seeds

ymgve fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 2, 2021