Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

victrix posted:

Even better, you don't have to worry about missing anything ever because it dumps everything in your inventory on zone transition if you missed it

This and "Auto-Mark" are worth the price of the game alone.

PS5 trip report: plays great and looks pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

edit: omg wrong thread:doh:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

babbys first gun. Doesn't have leech so got to see if you can somehow craft that there

Also a hot tip: when you're leaving for the forest don't sell all your guns except the shotgun that only hits close range

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly played this because it was on Game Pass and I was pleasantly surprised how fun it was and that it’s not a live service game like Destiny or The Division. Though it does remind of me of The Division in space, but that’s not a bad thing. I really love all the lore write ups. It also kind of reminds me of the Future War battles in Terminator and World War I stuff in terms of the aesthetic.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Something I had to laugh at having played the demo for this game last month is like my first battle I had in the full version of the game I got a rad shotgun that deals lightning damage and it was cool as hell when I realized I was zapping people with my shotgun. That combined with the preorder gear you get that lets you warp around instead of rolling and the other gear with abilities on it and it's like this is the poo poo that they needed to show off in that demo. If you played the demo you really got cut off right before you started getting interesting gear with special abilities on it and if you didn't keep playing to grind out stuff you'd really have no idea that the game even had stuff like that in there.

Playing as Devastator and I have to echo the sentiment about the impale spike being pretty underwhelming. Half the time it looks like it doesn't even go off but it actually does? It's really weird and the cooldown is longer than anything else so it seems like a waste of a slot. As far as I'm concerned the first three abilities you get are the best (so far). The ground pound and stone skin thing feel like they're mandatory which leaves the third slot open for debate and I still think the jump up in the air to slam down ability is the best option. It's a relatively short cooldown compared to impale, but more importantly it lets you get out of trouble by leaping across the battlefield if poo poo truly hits the fan. It's a great get out of jail free ticket if the CD's up. I have no idea what the last unlocked abilities are so idk maybe those are incredible.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
There is definitely a point where the increased difficulty of the world tiers interferes with my ability to fly around like a goofy shotgun-wielding god so I'm not gonna push them til endgame

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Been skipping leg day.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Having a lot of fun with this. If I have one complaint it's that a lot of the Devastator spells feel like they're on way too long of cooldowns to be useful. I'm using the armor boost, the teleport and the AoE nuke (basically the first three abilities) and using them to zip around the battlefield and annihilate guys feels really fun and I haven't had to downgrade my WL at all. Subbing any of them out for other spells I've unlocked makes the class feel a lot worse.

Also the preorder armor you get that turns your combat roll into a blink makes the run-and-gun close range style feel so much better to play, I wish they found a way to work it into the base class.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Just finished the campaign and will dive into the endgame over the Easter holidays. I skipped most side missions for later and focused on the main story, at the end of which I was level 27. So you don't need to be worried that you might finish the campaign underleveled if you skip content.

For me the game was a real palate cleanser after the disappointment that was Cyberpunk. The game never tries to be more than what was advertised and has very solid foundations.Here's my mini review:

Story: From the demo we thought it would keep going with the tongue-in-cheek teenage humour. And then I was very pleasantly surprised to notice that the main story ramps up later and gets a lot more serious with some surprising twists and events. It also likes to take old tropes and put unexpected twists on them, which freshens things up. There are lighthearted moments, but also more sombre and thoughtful parts and most characters display some growth during the storyline. The main campaign is roughly 18-20 hours, unless you push yourself and it really kept me interested from the time we leave the demo zone to the final mission. And it stays interesting post campaign, cause we want to find out what the Eye of the Storm is all about and deal with some recurring villains.

The world: From the demo I was under the impression that the game would not be that impressive when it comes to graphics. But just like the story it also surprises in that department. Once we leave the first zone we travel through all kinds of biomes, snow covered mountains, volcanoes, WW1 trenches, abandoned cities, jungles and mysterious ruins. And more often than not there are some really good looking areas and lots of variation. Travelling from area to area also helps to create the illusion of a much bigger and open world and thanks to the well timed story pacing we move on before an area starts feeling stale.

Gameplay: Starts out easy, but then the game slowly introduces increasingly nasty baddies that can prove to be quite a challenge, even on lower world tiers. At least that was my experience when playing Trickster as main. In the early game you run around with your temporal blade and the teleport and you feel like a god, and later you run into a boss or a pack of elites that just laugh it off and send you packing. Which is the point where you need to return to the base to adjust your gear and come up with a skill build that counters theirs. A strong point of the character design is that all their skills have their use, especially with the right items. None seem to be just "fillers". On top of that you have tons of mods which should make a lot of different builds possible.

I'm gonna add some thoughts later, when I'm deeper into the endgame. But I really enjoyed Outriders so far. It's not reinventing the wheel, but it's an uncomplicated, fast paced and fun loot shooter with an enjoyable campaign and a surprising amount of depth in character builds.

https://i.imgur.com/Vf0qbX1.mp4
Whirlwind Barb never gets old

https://i.imgur.com/MLgVESd.mp4
Mysterious ruins

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 2, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

fadam posted:

Having a lot of fun with this. If I have one complaint it's that a lot of the Devastator spells feel like they're on way too long of cooldowns to be useful. I'm using the armor boost, the teleport and the AoE nuke (basically the first three abilities) and using them to zip around the battlefield and annihilate guys feels really fun and I haven't had to downgrade my WL at all. Subbing any of them out for other spells I've unlocked makes the class feel a lot worse.

Also the preorder armor you get that turns your combat roll into a blink makes the run-and-gun close range style feel so much better to play, I wish they found a way to work it into the base class.

Yeah I said the same thing, like those first three devastator abilities seem far and away the most useful that I've seen so far. I have no idea what comes after Impale but I don't know if it'll be better than these.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

fast cars loose anus posted:

There is definitely a point where the increased difficulty of the world tiers interferes with my ability to fly around like a goofy shotgun-wielding god so I'm not gonna push them til endgame

Yeah, and IMO that point isn't that high. I'm playing Trickster and in most level ~12-13 encounters I have to pick my attacks very, VERY carefully and spend the rest of the time hiding or running away or it's death in 3 seconds flat. I'm at world tier 5 or 6 IIRC, I got up to 7 but that became extremely unfun so I dropped down.

When there's 10+ enemies blasting away from the walls, a few elites and a few skulls stomping around on the ground you just take so much loving damage so quickly if you come out of cover. And so far I haven't found almost any gear that gives shields or anything, just my trusty assault rifle I modded to give shields on every shot.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, and IMO that point isn't that high. I'm playing Trickster and in most level ~12-13 encounters I have to pick my attacks very, VERY carefully and spend the rest of the time hiding or running away or it's death in 3 seconds flat. I'm at world tier 5 or 6 IIRC, I got up to 7 but that became extremely unfun so I dropped down.

When there's 10+ enemies blasting away from the walls, a few elites and a few skulls stomping around on the ground you just take so much loving damage so quickly if you come out of cover. And so far I haven't found almost any gear that gives shields or anything, just my trusty assault rifle I modded to give shields on every shot.

I'm on WT7 now and there are definitely a ton of encounters as I'm zipping around where there's just people 360 degrees around me dumping ammo into me and there's so many people that it's hard to even pin down where it's coming from exactly. The Devastator lets me blow people up for health and I can usually hang when poo poo hits the fan like that for now but dudes just spawn everywhere and don't stop firing laser accurate shots directly into you nonstop.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

explosivo posted:

I'm on WT7 now and there are definitely a ton of encounters as I'm zipping around where there's just people 360 degrees around me dumping ammo into me and there's so many people that it's hard to even pin down where it's coming from exactly. The Devastator lets me blow people up for health and I can usually hang when poo poo hits the fan like that for now but dudes just spawn everywhere and don't stop firing laser accurate shots directly into you nonstop.

Right, but you're playing the Devastator. The tank class. It'd be pretty bad if you couldn't :v: I might be building my Trickster wrong, or maybe it's just meant to be a fragile class which would be kinda crappy for soloing but who knows!

E: and yeah enemy accuracy could definitely be toned down. It's a bit silly that dudes are just sniping me with machine guns and loving gatlings from the next county.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My World Tier appears to be stuck on 5 and hasn't increased in ages. Is it level or campaign gated, or is it bugged?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bardeh posted:

My World Tier appears to be stuck on 5 and hasn't increased in ages. Is it level or campaign gated, or is it bugged?

Did you manually set it to five? After you set it once it doesn't automatically increase anymore until you ... do something.

Estel
May 4, 2010
For the people feeling squishy while leveling you have free respecs and all the classes have similar skill trees. Top one is weapon damage, middle one is tanking, bottom one is skill power. Respec into the middle tree and don't just change items because of higher numbers, if you feel squishy keep pieces of gear with +armor or +life even if it seems a worse piece.

Bardeh posted:

Unless you deactivated the use highest world tier available option it should increase automatically. The world tier bar increases while killing enemies but only if you are at your maximum world tier available.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

:captainpop:

Looking forward to this tonight!

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Qmass posted:

the stutter. the stutter.

If you're on PC try adding -force -dx11 to the UE4CommandLine.txt in the root directory. It's the only way to force DX11 and it completely fixed the stuttering for me.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Right, but you're playing the Devastator. The tank class. It'd be pretty bad if you couldn't :v:

No, yeah, you're right but I was trying to say that it does feel like the WT is starting to tip into the too hard territory at this point. I can *mostly* hang, but the battles are kind of a slog and I usually end up re-doing them a couple times if it's particularly hard. Also in boss fights when all the adds die and it's just the boss I have no way to gain health which is a real bitch. I should've phrased it better, m'bad.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

explosivo posted:

No, yeah, you're right but I was trying to say that it does feel like the WT is starting to tip into the too hard territory at this point. I can *mostly* hang, but the battles are kind of a slog and I usually end up re-doing them a couple times if it's particularly hard. Also in boss fights when all the adds die and it's just the boss I have no way to gain health which is a real bitch. I should've phrased it better, m'bad.

I haven't played Devastator so maybe it's just harder than Pyro, but dig into the crafting if you haven't. It's super flexible and after I started tuning my gear I felt a lot more powerful.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Phoix posted:

I haven't played Devastator so maybe it's just harder than Pyro, but dig into the crafting if you haven't. It's super flexible and after I started tuning my gear I felt a lot more powerful.

Thanks, I will have to try that. I've kind of been ignoring crafting for now because the one time I upgraded a bunch of stuff I immediately got something better in the next chest I found but as long as you're melting stuff down it seems like you get mats fairly regularly and it doesn't cost a ton to do stuff like swap out skills.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm very glad they start giving you perks very early on and that the perks are fun. I have a hat that doubles the duration of my big rock shield and shoes that make a big wave of damage come off me when my rock shield is up. Naturally I rock shotguns and the divecrash so I am having a blast. Very good game.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
When does crafting kick in? Postgame, at level X, or whenever you get your first Legendary?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Lumpy posted:

When does crafting kick in? Postgame, at level X, or whenever you get your first Legendary?
You get access at about two hours in, when you do a couple of missions into the second big zone. I dunno if it's worth actually doing any crafting at that point though. I do like how there are options to improve the rarity or replace perks of gear you like though! It seems pretty comprehensive.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
The biggest thing that crafting allows you to start doing after you get blues consistently is always have gear that buffs the skills you actually use, because it's super cheap to swap mods, so you can grab that new higher armor piece no matter what mod it has (once you've got mods in your collection). It makes a big difference. Same for weapons and having a useful mod instead of whatever crap drops with it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

explosivo posted:

Oh crap, my bad. Now that I read your post again, I originally completely misread it! And yeah, it is a problem in many boss fights that the Trickster also can't regen health aside from the piddly amounts you get from leech weapons, which won't help you if you're taking a lot of damage.

Pierson posted:

You get access at about two hours in, when you do a couple of missions into the second big zone. I dunno if it's worth actually doing any crafting at that point though. I do like how there are options to improve the rarity or replace perks of gear you like though! It seems pretty comprehensive.

It's definitely worth at least upping the levels of gear you like using. By the time I was high enough to use the preorder gear, I had already received better items as drops (by pure numbers), and since you can disassemble preorder stuff, you can't even get the really good perks out of them. So upping their levels until they catch up is a good alternative, or at least one that seemed to work out OK for me -- the "dying enemies explode on death" perk is insanely good for clearing out packs of melee mutants.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Absolutely loving Devastator. Managed to get some mods that increase the damage (of each bullet) and range on the shield skill. Pop that in front of a Commander with all the other dudes shooting me and you'll basically melt anything. Coupled with the leap the the 1st skill (that I now have 2 charges on) and you can be incredibly tanky and mobile.

Found an auto shotty that has anomaly damage on hit and ricochets to 3 other targets. Just slaughters anything that decides to run at you in groups.

Didn't think I was going to like this game but it has certainly surprised me. If you're on PC do yourself a favour and disable mouse smoothing. It makes an incredible difference in how the game controls and feels while shooting.

Open this file:

%LocalAppData%\Madness\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Input.ini

add this to it

code:
[/Script/Engine.InputSettings]
bEnableMouseSmoothing=False

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is it not worth it to keep upping the world tier? Cause this poo poo is getting really tough.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
It's fine to keep it lower to allow you to progress without getting frustrated; I also have to assume that you're not really intended to go that far until max level/post-campaign because there needs to theoretically be something for you to do. I think it only affects item drops, not xp you get for character leveling.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Is it not worth it to keep upping the world tier? Cause this poo poo is getting really tough.

Its been feeling like its not worth it just because how much longer it takes to kill stuff. Especially running out of ammo on my shotgun.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Pretty much the okayest game I've played in the past couple of years, I really hate the moment to moment running around not doing anything bits cause the game's extreme linearity and frankly awful level design rears its head real bad when you're sniffing around for chests(that never seem to be in places that you would think a secret chest would be!)

But, combat is fun, skills feel real good when you can pull off sweet hail mary's, and I actually dig the crafting system for a change.

I just wish there were more interesting things to look for during the quieter moments... and that moving around didn't feel so rough.

Otherwise, it's actually keeping me playing if only to see how crazy I can get with the Trickster which feels like I'm Dr Manhattan half the time, it's kinda glorious.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 2, 2021

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The Volcano boss fight was a complete surprise to me. I expected nothing like that in this game. It was a little bullet spongey (might just be the world tier I was playing on) but looked visually good.

I had very low expectations of this game and it has exceeded them all.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah that boss was a lot of fun. I normally bounce pretty hard off of games like this but the more I play and more I like it.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Are you guys talking about the giant lava volcano spider looking boss thing? I was randomly watching a streamer fight this and they were complaining at how boring and bullet-spongy it was as a solo fight: they only beat it once they got one of their friends to help co-op it down. It did seem pretty spongy and I'd hate it the game doesn't balance itself for solo, but I was curious if they were just confused and missing some sort of weakpoint to exploit, or maybe they forced themselves into too high a world tier for their equipment, mayhaps.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I disliked that boss because it almost completely invalidated my Trickster build (Time Knife, time slow down bubble, teleport behind enemy). You flat out can't teleport behind that boss (literally says "you can't teleport behind this enemy"), Time Knife does very little damage and of course doesn't paralyze or heal you, and the time slow also doesn't do poo poo.

I had to completely swap my talents and go with the "empower your next clip of bullets" power to wipe the floor with the bastard. Even then it took forever.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
bye servers.

Literally my first disconnect or significant tech problem in 24 hours. I'll take it. Probably should get back to work anyhow.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Now that I'm taking an unrequested break, can we talk about the tonal shift in dialogue after you get out of the demo areas? In the demo, I was shooting just about everyone in the face and talking mad crap at anyone who I didn't shoot in the face for REASONS.

Once you get out of that first zone, however, it's almost like they were like "Whoops! TOO gritty!" and dialed it back and started having the protag actually try to be sympathetic in both her own observations and her talks with others (I will never play the dead-voiced male variant). I don't mind either - the shift just kind of weirded me out and made me wonder what was up with it. I'm midway through the third big hub and it hasn't really changed since shifting. Just odd.

Maybe they just figured the demo area needed to be 100% PURE CRINGE.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Offriders!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Tenzarin posted:

Offriders!

And just as I finally got some time to play dumb videogames too :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Pleasantly surprised is the way I'd describe my reaction to this game, and I can't think of any multiplayer game that has pleasantly surprised me on launch day in recent memory. I bounced hard of the demo, but friends convinced me to try the main game with them, and I'm glad I did. I had some difficulties logging on yesterday morning, but I sat down in the evening and played from 7 pm to 2 am with two of my friends. I haven't had a marathon play session like that in probably 10 years easily.

Are there problems? Sure, each of us ran into 1 to 2 issues in that 7 hour session, consisting of disconnects and lost HUDs, but they were all minor and easily fixed. Some of the skills could use some tuning, and the World Tier stuff is a bit wonky (my advice: don't be afraid to drop a tier level, game is much more fun when you're mulching enemies with your skills and not just chipping away at them slowly), but nothing that detracted from the fun in any significant way.

The design decisions to allow you to respec infinitely, for free, and without having to visit some out-of-the way character to do it is just a huge breath of fresh air, as is the ability to easily and cheaply customize your gear. Even if the game wasn't as fun as it is, I'd be happy to throw my money at developers who made those two choices.

Game good.