Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If CIG can't make the game we'll make it ourselves!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT.

ITS THE MORROW TOUR AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SPACE JANITOR.

I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN THAT SPACE MOP OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE.

NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY MOPPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS SPACE CAFETERIA. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY ORG AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN ORGS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS.

AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY 890 JUMP LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL.

12 MINUTES INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING.

THEN I PLEDGE.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT.

ITS THE MORROW TOUR AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SPACE JANITOR.

I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN THAT SPACE MOP OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE.

NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY MOPPED THE GALAXY’S MOST DANGEROUS SPACE CAFETERIA. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY ORG AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN ORGS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS.

AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY 890 JUMP LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL.

12 MINUTES INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING.

THEN I PLEDGE.

:golfclap:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/BS9IVGi.mp4

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Popete posted:

If CIG can't make the game we'll make it ourselves!

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
Star Citizen is headed for Free-to-Play.

Stimpire.txt is already Plea-to-Flay.

The gap is closing.
Closing fast.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Has the sickening truth about Star Citizen been revealed yet though?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

It's Thursday and also April Fool's day and that means it's time for what is most likely a joke episode of

:siren:Inside Star Citizen:siren:
The show where every episode is most likely a joke episode!

In today's show:
* Okay yeah they're doing a "Concept ship not found" gag with the Origin 404. Invisibility tech and shaders! It's funny because it sounds exactly like their actual spaceship pitches and fundamentally it is!

* This joke goes on for the entire 10 minutes of the episode. Hilarious!

* I closed the video

How's is this april's fool joke different than other Inside Star Citizen episodes?

.random
May 7, 2007

MedicineHut posted:

How's is this april's fool joke different than other Inside Star Citizen episodes?

The commandos are let in on the joke for once?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MedicineHut posted:

overall less shame

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
ED's Odyssey not looking good so far:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-01-frontier-addresses-elite-dangerous-odyssey-alphas-tedious-space-taxis-and-murder-planets

The money quote:

quote:

The issue will almost certainly be alleviated as players are given the ability to travel further afield in later alpha phases, reducing the likelihood of encounters, but Frontier says it'll be adding in the detention centre spawn loop for criminal players in a later update, and may adjust penalties for killing on-foot players if need be. In the meantime, alpha participants are reminded that Solo and Private Group sessions are also available.

Good Lord, they're getting a jail too? Who thinks these sitting-in-a-room gameplay "loops" are exciting?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Space nerds.
They shouldn't develop games imo

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Star Citizen: if you want a complete gameplay loop i am sorry but you simply must go to jail

Novaspectra
Jan 20, 2020

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-01-frontier-addresses-elite-dangerous-odyssey-alphas-tedious-space-taxis-and-murder-planets

The money quote:

Good Lord, they're getting a jail too? Who thinks these sitting-in-a-room gameplay "loops" are exciting?

Elite already respawns you at a 'detention' station when you commit a crime in your ship. There's no waiting - you just fly off. This is the on foot equivalent.
It's not electrifying gameplay exactly, but it's just a spawn point and can be avoided easily.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The money quote:

I wonder if Frontier has also discovered the inevitable consequence of piracy: Rape.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The money quote:

Elite is fundamentally developed by the exact same type of devs as Star Citizen, but without the mismanagement and rank incompetence at the top. They still hate fun and do everything they can to make the experience as dull as possible though. Space games could be so much more if it weren't all built by the kind of person who thinks Train Simulator is, frankly, a little too over-the-top and should maybe tone it down a bit.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Would it be naive of me to suggest that with Odyssey being in alpha and CIG not involved that there might be hope of it improving?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Important parts of a space game that you must not miss, according to space game devs:

* Extremely long travel times where the user is locked out of the controls or very limited
* Harsh death and respawn penalties for loving up or glitching out
* Some form of "Criminal scum" gameplay that basically slaps you with a giant red flag that makes the whole rest of the game super inconvenient
* Bathrooms
* Walking around inside of places, but not exciting places- only hangars, garages, space malls, etc
* Shoehorned multiplayer but absolutely no allowance for, or understanding of, the behavior of modern players when allowed to shoot each other
* Space fuel, space ammo, space food and other inconvenience mechanics

Parts of a space game that can be set aside so you can focus on the important stuff:

* Combat
* Balance
* NPC AI
* Fun
* Locations
* Missions

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Danknificent posted:

Would it be naive of me to suggest that with Odyssey being in alpha and CIG not involved that there might be hope of it improving?

The article posted:

Apex Interstellar is chiefly intended to provide players who're enthusiastic about Odyssey's on-foot combat but less so about space flight with a means of getting round the galaxy without needing to pilot a ship of their own. It's an entirely reasonable idea in principle, but the reality is an excruciating bore, leaving players stuck in the passenger seat with nothing to do for many - often many, many, many - minutes at a time.

Addressing these complaints in a new post, Frontier admits its choice of starting location for the alpha - a station situated in the corner of the system map - hasn't helped matters, leading to particularly long journey times. To counter this, the developer may move the starting zone to a more central location, and will also be updating mission information to display the distance to target locations, making it easier to spot those objectives with shorter travel times.

Those hoping for a radical rethink of Odyssey's taxi cabs are likely out of luck, however; it sounds like Frontier is generally happy with their current implementation - although, in vague nod toward alleviating the tedium, it says it'll be introducing an increased number of load out and cosmetic customisation options to play around with during travel.

Sources say: unlikely

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Danknificent posted:

If there is one thing I've learned about ED it's that somehow they will take the most jaw droppingly impressive thing and make it so dull to play that you just don't bother

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

"What my boss thinks I do" (Electrical engineering)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Has the sickening truth about Star Citizen been revealed yet though?

CR absolved himself of all responsibility years ago. I'd say the sickening truth is already out there.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Important parts of a space game that you must not miss, according to space game devs:

* Extremely long travel times where the user is locked out of the controls or very limited
* Harsh death and respawn penalties for loving up or glitching out
* Some form of "Criminal scum" gameplay that basically slaps you with a giant red flag that makes the whole rest of the game super inconvenient
* Bathrooms
* Walking around inside of places, but not exciting places- only hangars, garages, space malls, etc
* Shoehorned multiplayer but absolutely no allowance for, or understanding of, the behavior of modern players when allowed to shoot each other
* Space fuel, space ammo, space food and other inconvenience mechanics

Parts of a space game that can be set aside so you can focus on the important stuff:

* Combat
* Balance
* NPC AI
* Fun
* Locations
* Missions

* Flying in space
* Space ship based interaction like boarding and stuff

Must include:
* Sleep
* Food
* Bathrooms
* Dreams
* Tier 0 everything
* Never saying "this is it, this is exactly how this mechanic will work"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Star Citizen and Elite just prove that space games are boring, unless you are one of those people who really love Farming Simulator or Truck Simulator kind of games.

Trying to make them fun is going against that grain of people who want to have to manually seed 200 acres of land virtually over the course of many hours or days so they can wait to harvest it later in the same hugely tedious manner. And then do that forever except add more acres.

.random
May 7, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Star Citizen and Elite just prove that space games are boring, unless you are one of those people who really love Farming Simulator or Truck Simulator kind of games.

Trying to make them fun is going against that grain of people who want to have to manually seed 200 acres of land virtually over the course of many hours or days so they can wait to harvest it later in the same hugely tedious manner. And then do that forever except add more acres.

But after a long day of reaping and sowing, they will look up at that one big bright star and think, “Yeah, maybe I’ll visit that star tomorrow. Maybe.”

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Elite is fundamentally developed by the exact same type of devs as Star Citizen, but without the mismanagement and rank incompetence at the top. They still hate fun and do everything they can to make the experience as dull as possible though. Space games could be so much more if it weren't all built by the kind of person who thinks Train Simulator is, frankly, a little too over-the-top and should maybe tone it down a bit.

Like the person making Starsector?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

.random posted:

But after a long day of reaping and sowing, they will look up at that one big bright star and think, “Yeah, maybe I’ll visit that star tomorrow. Maybe.”

No need to do that. Already have the coffee pot and a great scenic view of procedural terrain on this planet.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic posted:

Thing is, space is a shithole.
It's fine viewed from Earth, but it's a horrendous heap of crap really. Like that recent Mars rover cemented my opinion on this, billions of dollars and we get photos of an empty slum planet, devoid of anything interesting. The novelty would take a couple of days to wear off if you went there, then you're hosed - for years and bored years.
Space is poo poo, the idea of space is cool but honestly there is more to do in any hick town than there is in space by a huge margin.
This is reflected in space games. If there is any fun to be had it's not because of space, it's in spite of it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

peter gabriel posted:

It's fine viewed from Earth, but it's a horrendous heap of crap really. Like that recent Mars rover cemented my opinion on this, billions of dollars and we get photos of an empty slum planet, devoid of anything interesting. The novelty would take a couple of days to wear off if you went there, then you're hosed - for years and bored years.
Space is poo poo, the idea of space is cool but honestly there is more to do in any hick town than there is in space by a huge margin.
This is reflected in space games. If there is any fun to be had it's not because of space, it's in spite of it.

I mean, this is a weird and reductive argument. Space is extremely cool. But Space is cool in the way like, the bottom of the Sea is cool. Its scientifically interesting, its a new frontier. But that means its exceptionally dangerous and its also mostly boring and you're far removed from other humans.

So yeah, you're going to have more other humans and thus more fun things to do in any human town than on the bottom of the sea or out in space. But those things are romantic because they're exciting and dangerous.

But this is specifically why people like GAMES and not SIMULATORS for the most part. People don't really want to experience life on the frontier; its awful and boring. They want to experience the romanticized hollywood western movie version of it. Just the exciting bits with all the boring stuff cut out, and in a place of safety.

But CIG goes full ham on ~fidelity~ and thus the game is not fun.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

peter gabriel posted:

other planets are definitely poo poo, because they are fundamentally versions of earth that we just aren't well-adapted to. space stations, though, can offer a lot of aesthetics (up-curving horizons) and narratives (cities that move and rearrange into different nation-states) that are much harder or impossible to pull off planetside.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

What if you arrive to the planet of the green ladies with big boobs? you know the one.

There is probably a planet full of shipwrecks for the Titanic too.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Starsector is a space game that seems to be a good example of a game primarily concerned about fun. The developer blog posts have mentioned a few times how he'll often implement something in a "realistic" manner on the first pass and then change it if it's not fun or interesting.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean, this is a weird and reductive argument

It's not an argument my man.
There is more stuff to do in my shed than there is in space. I love the idea of it all but I could travel for billions of years and have the same view I get here, except here I also have a shed.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Do you spend a lot of time in your shed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd rather go to my shed than Mars, it's got more human stuff.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fruits of the sea posted:

Do you spend a lot of time in your shed.

No and now I am wondering why not, it's a good shed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Gonna launch the Shed Rover tomorrow

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Commandos are in.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

If there is one thing I've learned about ED it's that somehow they will take the most jaw droppingly impressive thing and make it so dull to play that you just don't bother

And yet there you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MedicineHut posted:

And yet there you are

That is me in my space shed wishing I was at a Nando's