Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

fizzymercury posted:

Is it okay that I read everything Douglas Adams wrote about the universe, re-listen to all the radio shows, watch the show and movie, and then read the extended HHGttG stuff annually? Then I do all that again but Dirk Gently. I don't want anyone to think I'm a nerd or something horrible.

I just want to see where I'm at on the real literature star chart.

Above people who read Star Trek novels, which is all that really matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

fizzymercury posted:

Is it okay that I read everything Douglas Adams wrote about the universe, re-listen to all the radio shows, watch the show and movie, and then read the extended HHGttG stuff annually? Then I do all that again but Dirk Gently. I don't want anyone to think I'm a nerd or something horrible.

I just want to see where I'm at on the real literature star chart.

Congratulations, you can enjoy it via multiple mediums instead of having weird hangups!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Sweevo posted:

Above people who read Star Trek novels, which is all that really matters.

What's the lowdown on Star Trek vs old Star Wars EU vs nu-Star Wars EU vs Warhammer 40k

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's very simple.

If you only read creaky old classics, you're a pretentious hipster. If you only read new popular things, you're a shallow overgrown child. If you read some of each, you're a "truth is always in the middle" South Park Republican. And of course if you don't read at all, you're just one of the brainless masses.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

They do it because being contrarian is their main personality trait. If they can be ‘above it all’ they get to feel cool and smug without having to do any of the effort of actually engaging in the modern world. They can just read someone smart’s thoughts about the 300 year old books and regurgitate those thoughts at people to make the cargo cult version of an academic point.

i read literature because its fun

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

I think people who only read "great literature" are kind of playing themselves too, because sometimes its good to have shared cultural references with people and not be the equivalent of the guy who slams into Facebook comment sections about Taylor Swift to proclaim "Never heard of her"

its funny that you say this because this is the function of literature, knowing who homer or jonathan swift or milton is is something that you can share with people mostly no matter their age or even cultural background, people around the world know who shakespeare is but if you talk to them about warhammer you're not going to have much luck

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

How will you ever relate to other human beings without referencing all the old dumb books we read in middle school

It is a mystery

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the argument was that you should share cultural references with people. i agree. warhammer isn't one of them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Read another book" doesn't mean you can't still also read the poo poo that prompted someone to say it - especially since there's no quick way to un-read a book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Don't say that in TBB, they'll ban you.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The best selling and most widely read book of all time is harry potter

So if you're looking for a shared cultural reference that's what you need to read hth

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think you guys are missing the actual point Shib was making, quote unquote real literature is simply better written and more interesting than fiction that's churned out by ghostwriters ten a year.

Reading a dozen Starwars EU novels or what have you is the equivalent of spending half your day watching Pawn Stars, we've only got a limited amount of time here. Why would you waste it on low quality works?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

No it isn't, not even if you count Harry Potter as being the whole series.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

How will you ever relate to other human beings without referencing all the old dumb books we read in middle school

It is a mystery

by the way this is again the immensely arrogant american white guy perspective that just assumes that everyone has the same experience. i didnt read any of that stuff in school, i read it of my own volition because i liked it

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

The books you named are the Harry Potters of their day. You’re just a slightly more pretentious Potter House guy.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No it isn't, not even if you count Harry Potter as being the whole series.

Take it up with wikipedia man that's as far as I looked

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Take it up with wikipedia man that's as far as I looked

You looked at the list, not the preface to the list.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: The only book anyone needs to read is this

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

The books you named are the Harry Potters of their day. You’re just a slightly more pretentious Potter House guy.

there were many works written in the 18th and 19th century that were really popular but are now forgotten, because they basically sucked, those are the harry potters

i also wasnt making the argument that popular stuff automatically sucked, or that old stuff is automatically better

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: The only book anyone needs to read is this

Sometimes you see one of those books at someone's home and leaf through it and it has zero oily thumbprints so you just close it, get your coat, walk out, and never speak to that person again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I guaran-loving-tee you will get laid more with your Hogwarts house in your tinder bio than with your love of Johnathan Swift

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I guaran-loving-tee you will get laid more with your Hogwarts house in your tinder bio than with your love of Johnathan Swift

We get it; you're easy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

im married

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Genre is a capitalist invention. It's not something inherent to literature, but inherent to publishing and consumption of books.

Aristotle’s Poetics, noted capitalist tract.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

Aristotle’s Poetics, noted capitalist tract.

Aristoteles didn't know a word of French.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

So if you're looking for a shared cultural reference that's what you need to read hth

It's the Bible.

Second is the Little Red Book.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Words change, but things stay the same. The idea of the genre predates the word.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

Words change, but things stay the same. The idea of the genre predates the word.

The idea of genre now has nothing to do with Aristoteles' ideas of anything.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The idea of genre now has nothing to do with Aristoteles' ideas of anything.

There are other forms of “genre” besides genres of novels.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

King Hong Kong posted:

There are other forms of “genre” besides genres of novels.

Yes?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Byzantine posted:

It's the Bible.

Second is the Little Red Book.

There we go then problem solved

We need to be well versed in christianity and maoist propaganda to share experiences with other human beings and maybe we lay off the stuffy old childrens books

edit: really though I think the best way to connect with our shared culture is discussing the best way to convert a windsor 5.8l engine from efi to carburetor

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Apr 2, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I read the first Harry Potter book as a child, it was alright but nowhere near interesting enough to want to read the rest of the series

Roald Dahl though? classic mate

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

French is actually the original langugage pre-Tower of Babel. Even babies know how to speak it.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

The categorization and classification of literature in accordance with normative conventions was not a capitalist invention and to say otherwise is insane. You can absolutely blame capitalism for making it impossible for a dialogue or epic to be successful in the twenty-first century and instead inundating the public with pablum, but that’s not because the idea of the genre was invented under capitalism. It’s because genre, much like any number of things that predate capitalism that continue to exist, has utility in a capitalist publishing model.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I read the first Harry Potter book as a child, it was alright but nowhere near interesting enough to want to read the rest of the series

Roald Dahl though? classic mate

Absolutely correct. The argy that's been going on in this thread has me biffsquigled. This thread is totally fluckgungled. We should all try to make it more razztwizzler.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Roald Dahl made the best childrens books because he straight up hated children due to his lord of the flies boarding school upbringing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why are all children's novels that get traction in the anglo world somehow related to high class abusive british boarding school, goddam

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why are all children's novels that get traction in the anglo world somehow related to high class abusive british boarding school, goddam

Honest answer, because it's a lazy narrative that starts you at act 2 of the hero's journey

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Apr 2, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

its funny that you say this because this is the function of literature, knowing who homer or jonathan swift or milton is is something that you can share with people mostly no matter their age or even cultural background, people around the world know who shakespeare is but if you talk to them about warhammer you're not going to have much luck

Except I haven't talked to another human about Milton or Swift or Marlow or Keats or Shelley since finishing my degree. I have talked to acquaintances and workmates about Stephen King or, yes, Warhammer 40K though.

When I read literature or watch world cinema or whatever, I do it for me and it find it satisfying and enlightening, but 9/10 people in bars will want to talk about Marvel movies or whatever. That other 1/10 leads to great conversations, but I won't pretend they aren't vanishingly rare.

And sometimes spaceships and lasers are just cooler than dusty old poo poo.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Apr 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

They do it because being contrarian is their main personality trait. If they can be ‘above it all’ they get to feel cool and smug without having to do any of the effort of actually engaging in the modern world. They can just read someone smart’s thoughts about the 300 year old books and regurgitate those thoughts at people to make the cargo cult version of an academic point.

lol yikes