Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I hope they like cocaine and jazzercise :ohdear:

Who wouldn't? Best not done simultaneously though, heart explosion is a known side effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zero One posted:

Disney delayed Death on the Nile again but sources say they can't recast Armie Hammer so the actual release is still up in the air.

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1376885841117769730?s=21

https://twitter.com/theavclub/status/1377042472950374400?s=21

Johnny Depp being in the prior one didn't stop them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If only Christopher Plummer was still alive...

duz posted:

Johnny Depp being in the prior one didn't stop them.

I guess it helped that his character was the one that got murdered on the Orient Express and at no point would you shed a tear for him.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 1, 2021

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Especially after the showrunners utterly beefed their adaptation so they could run off to make Star Wars (and lost that, presumably because sabotaging your breakout show to do a different show doesn't instill confidence)

This whole 'they ruined GoT to go do Star Wars' is one of the most obviously dumb myths I've heard.

First, because if they wanted to run off and do Star Wars, they could have run off and done Star Wars. Showrunners leaving a big property to someone else so that they can develop other shows or movies is the most common thing in television. Second, because the GoT S8 shoot was insanely long and grueling. If they wanted to half-rear end the last season, they would have written something that wasn't such a massive undertaking.

The 'Star Wars' thing comes across as if people are playing out their abandonment issues in public.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 1, 2021

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm actually pretty sure I can pinpoint the exact moment GRRM realized he couldn't finish the books. He was at a convention nerding out with fans of the book series, and they were discussing all the prophesies and poo poo. The topic came up of how the previous "hero of ancient legend" basically made his glowing fire sword by stabbing it through his beloved's chest, which was in line with the whole sacrifice theme of the books. Somebody mentioned that this likely meant that Jon was going to have to kill Dany to win or something. There was this slight twinkle in GRRM's eyes, but before he could respond a female fan spoke up and said something along the lines of, "I certainly hope we aren't following this strong woman for seven books just so she can get killed so another male character can be sad!" And I could literally see GRRM's face fall.

That was back in 2009 and I'm still convinced that he realized then that he had written himself into a corner because female fans were absolutely not going to accept the original end of the story.

And that woman's name was Albert Einstein.

Yeah, a writer isn't going to 'realize he can't finish the books' because a single fan at a conference had an opinion. These people think their fans are basically subhuman. Two years after 2009 he released a book that ends with this strong woman making GBS threads herself in some field, he doesn't give a gently caress.

The books just got out of his control and got too unwieldy, it already happened with having to split Dance and Feast. The show was already ahead of the last book by the end of Season 5. Two books, Winter and Spring, are not enough to adapt the last three seasons of the show (which are universally considered 'rushed') and the last parts of S5. Doing that and having all the extra plotlines that the show skipped is simply impossible.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 1, 2021

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This whole 'they ruined GoT to go do Star Wars' is one of the most obviously dumb myths I've heard.

First, because if they wanted to run off and do Star Wars, they could have run off and done Star Wars. Showrunners leaving a big property to someone else so that they can develop other shows or movies is the most common thing in television. Second, because the GoT S8 shoot was insanely long and grueling. If they wanted to half-rear end the last season, they would have written something that wasn't such a massive undertaking.

The 'Star Wars' thing comes across as if people are playing out their abandonment issues in public.

Also they lost their Star Wars job because they signed a huge deal with Netflix, a Disney competitor.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Wasn't there contract fuckery that prevented them from handing the show over to someone else?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Also they lost their Star Wars job because they signed a huge deal with Netflix, a Disney competitor.

Ironically the same thing Rian Johnson just did, though by this point I don't know if anyone still seriously believes he's going to do his original Star Wars movie trilogy.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Didn't they lose their Civil War alt history show where the slavers are the good guys because they hosed up GoT?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Didn't they lose their Civil War alt history show where the slavers are the good guys because they hosed up GoT?

I think there was a very large number of reasons why they lost that show.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fried Watermelon posted:

I think it got cancelled before GOT was wrapping up from general backlash at it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Ironically the same thing Rian Johnson just did, though by this point I don't know if anyone still seriously believes he's going to do his original Star Wars movie trilogy.

Rian signed a deal for two movies. D&D's Netflix deal is apparently more than that because it involves multiple series and/or movies yet to be announced (or possibly even pitched to Netflix).

Probably similar to another contract signed between Netflix and Mark Millar.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

Truly a premise worth of the authors of Lucky Wander Boy and Wolverine: Origins. You'd get laughed out of an undergraduate screenwriting class for that poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lmao if you think the south winning the civil war is "alt"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1377713505630097410?s=21
Neat.

Also, Ava DuVernay’s New Gods and James Wan’s Aquaman spin-off movie have been cancelled.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

aware of dog posted:

Also, Ava DuVernay’s New Gods and James Wan’s Aquaman spin-off movie have been cancelled.

Not gonna lie--I was psyched for a Tom King/Ava DuVernay New Gods movie beyond anything that lilley would've come from it, but it sort of feels fitting that New Gods gets shafted by corporate.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

aware of dog posted:

Can't help but wonder if WB is purely fueled by spite.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Can't help but wonder if WB is purely fueled by spite.

All Hollywood studios are. Just go ahead and read about Disney and Dreamworks in the 90s and 2000s.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pedro De Heredia posted:

First, because if they wanted to run off and do Star Wars, they could have run off and done Star Wars. Showrunners leaving a big property to someone else so that they can develop other shows or movies is the most common thing in television

People who think 'The South winning the Civil War' is a good set up for a TV show also being egotistical enough to think 'no one can finish this but me' isn't really that far fetched.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

If they wanted to half-rear end the last season, they would have written something that wasn't such a massive undertaking.

The last season has about 3 or 4 seasons worth of plot crammed together. That's part of why it's as poorly regarded as it is. Doing everything they do in one season instead of several is still half assing it compared to doing several seasons of large, gruelling shoots.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The thing that kind of gets lost when discussing the last season of GoT isn't that it was just bad (the seasons had been declining in quality for awhile) but that it was lazy. It's not even a complete matter of opinion either. The season was artificially shortened by D&D despite HBO telling them they had a blank check to write a full season. People actually analyzed the season and demonstrated that there was a significant decrease in the lines of dialogue per unit of time in Season 8 (much of the season was long stretches of CGI battles sometimes well shot with an excellent score, other times less so...significantly). Transcribing the lines of dialogue it was shown that some characters almost literally repeated the same line of dialogue multiple times per episode, the most egregious being Jon Snow and his, "...my Queen" which would have been funny if not for the fact that it was so bad. Excellent actress Lena Headey literally shot most of her scenes in a day as they entirely consisted of her standing on a balcony sipping from a wine glass without speaking The show also went from a series that had rather strong set design and costumes to the crew literally leaving Starbucks cups, water bottles, and laptop chargers in frame for 3 episodes in a row. It was just a bizarre series of unforced errors that compounded on the fact that they really had no idea how to end the thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You can really see how the actors have checked out by the end. The final episode, apart from not being well written, is just played so stiffly. Even the penultimate episode where Dany goes nuts and starts killing everyone gets dull, like there's only so much footage of peasant massacres you can sit through.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Fried Watermelon posted:

HBO just didn't develop the show further because the general reaction to the premise was "this sounds really offensive."

In general, people are really underrating how bad you have to "gently caress up" something to stop getting opportunities in Hollywood, and overrating how much something is a "gently caress up." The last season of GoT was a massive ratings success. It won a ton of Emmys. The DVDs have sold about as well as previous seasons. The show is still successful on streaming. The "brand" is still quite valuable. HBO is both giving money to GRRM and developing a bunch of new shows. They don't seem to believe the showrunners really "hosed up" in the ways that are meaningful to them. Sure, it would have been nice if the ending was widely acclaimed. But the reality is that shows don't tend to end well, either critically or commercially or both. The business of television is that you create something nice and then you get everything you can out of it until it's a decaying husk, then you throw it away.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The thing that kind of gets lost when discussing the last season of GoT isn't that it was just bad (the seasons had been declining in quality for awhile) but that it was lazy. It's not even a complete matter of opinion either. The season was artificially shortened by D&D despite HBO telling them they had a blank check to write a full season. b]People actually analyzed the season and demonstrated that there was a significant decrease in the lines of dialogue per unit of time in Season 8 (much of the season was long stretches of CGI battles sometimes well shot with an excellent score, other times less so...significantly). [/b]

The concept of "lines of dialogue per unit of time" as a measure of "effort" is hilariously terrible, because there is no linear relationship between "time on film" and "time to shoot," which is where you actually have to exert the "effort," and no obvious relationship between "quantity of dialogue" and "quality of dialogue" either. I am reminded of Nikki Finke's criticism of the ending of Sopranos, which she said was "lazy" because "aren't writers paid to write?" Yes, that's what happened. They got "lazy" so they wrote less lines of dialogue, just like David Chase "got lazy" and didn't write an ending.

You don't need to "analyze" the season this way. There are articles about the filming of Season 8 and a book about the making of the show which covers the filming extensively. You can just look at the shoot lenghts, hours spent on that, all the documented information we have about the shoot. That's a much more obvious thing to look at instead of this numerically, scientifically, and artistically illiterate nonsense that you got from a godforsaken Youtube. And from all acounts, it was a completely insane, grueling shoot, that everyone hated and was totally drained by.

That's really the sad thing. Everyone involved, from the writers to the directors to the actors, put a ton of time and effort into something that was widely disliked. They did their best, and their best was poo poo. I understand that deranged fans need to transfer their hate towards a specific person, that's how fandom always operates. But while it would be easier to believe that our parents' birthday gift was bad because they were too busy spending time with their evil affair partners to pay attention to us, the sad reality is that this is all they could come up with.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 2, 2021

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, analysing a show by "lines of dialogue per unit of time" sounds just as dumb as evaluating programmer productivity by LOC per day, IMHO.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah, analysing a show by "lines of dialogue per unit of time" sounds just as dumb as evaluating programmer productivity by LOC per day, IMHO.

It reminds me of people measuring the quality of superhero movies by counting the seconds they wear their costumes on screen.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alan Smithee posted:

lmao if you think the south winning the civil war is "alt"

Someone should make a film about the undermining of reconstruction and frame the advertising as the South winning the war.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Samovar posted:

Someone should make a film about the undermining of reconstruction and frame the advertising as the South winning the war.

You should watch the mockumentary C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America. It's set in an alternate history where the South won the war, but the whole point is how similar the world is to the reality.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Samovar posted:

Free State of Jones covered some of that, to my general surprise. I was sure they'd cap it off sooner to keep it happy. It made for a super depressing 3rd act.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Free State of Jones covered some of that, to my general surprise. I was sure they'd cap it off sooner to keep it happy. It made for a super depressing 3rd act.

Reviews of that were quite favourable, which is surprising, since the trailer made it look like the gag from that episode of Boondocks.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Yeah the civil war ending like halfway into the movie was a real trip

Then flash forward to 1960

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't remember a single thing from that movie, all I know is I was really hyped to see it because it had mcconnaisance-era matthew mcconaughey in it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The United States posted:

Yeah the civil war ending like halfway into the movie was a real trip

Then flash forward to 1960

I read some of the historical scholarship on Newton Knight in grad school before the movie came out, and the movie does alter a few things about the 1940s law case of his descendants. For one, the court case wasn't about whether they were descended from Rachel Knight (Gugu Mbatha-Raw ) or Serena Knight (Keri Russell); it was accepted they were descended from Rachel, but rather the lawsuit was meant to prove that Rachel wasn't fully Black, because that would mean that Knight's descendants were less than 1/8 Black and could then go to the white schools. Which is related to the other part, that Knight's descendants considered themselves fully white, sided with segregationists (who very much did not side back with them) and absolutely were first and foremost trying to legally establish their whiteness.

If I'm remembering right, Rachel was also the slave of Newton's... grandfather, I think? And potentially related to Newton, too, which the movie doesn't cover (at least from my memory).

Still a good movie in general, and would recommend it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

You should watch the mockumentary C.S.A.: The Confederate States of America. It's set in an alternate history where the South won the war, but the whole point is how similar the world is to the reality.
There's a scene in the end of the movie where they show how all the racist adverts they made really did happen.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXYZOsXw_o

Jesus christ, this looks like a cross between Ready Player One and Detective Pikachu in all the worst ways. I did not need to think about "real" CGI versions of the toons.

ALSO RYAN COOGLER IS A PRODUCER ON THIS!!??

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I like the new Goon Squad, but did they really need a "he falls into a computer" explanation for the existence of looney tunes?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol: no thanks

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXYZOsXw_o

Jesus christ, this looks like a cross between Ready Player One and Detective Pikachu in all the worst ways. I did not need to think about "real" CGI versions of the toons.

ALSO RYAN COOGLER IS A PRODUCER ON THIS!!??

Its dumb because we already had a big Warner crossover with Lego Batman.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's nice to see GamemasterAnthony branching out into screenplays.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
LeBron teaching Pepe LePew about consent: tacky, tone deaf, had to be cut

The Droogs from A Clockwork Orange cheering on a Basketball game: a fun lil Easter egg for long-time fans!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Warner trying to increase visibility of their catalog and IP is pretty smart, it’s been Disney’s game plan all long.

No interest in the movie, which is something I rarely say given that I loving love going to movies, even lovely ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess this confirms the leaks that the movie was Ready Player One but for Space Jam