Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Serious question but why is zipping a thing? I don’t understand why, if you can compress files, they don’t come smaller by default. It seems like an unnecessary step, why don’t files come compressed on whatever medium they come in and uncompressing is part of the install process or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Compression trades CPU time for disk size so it's not always faster or better. Some file types are compressed by default though, like PNG or DOCX.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Serrath posted:

Serious question but why is zipping a thing? I don’t understand why, if you can compress files, they don’t come smaller by default. It seems like an unnecessary step, why don’t files come compressed on whatever medium they come in and uncompressing is part of the install process or whatever

Because sometimes you don't want to/can't wait for the unpacking process to open the compressed file.
And (mostly in the past due to storage medium sizes) you wanted to compress files that weren't being accessed frequently to save space for the ones that were.

So the onus is on the user to make the determination - which files can I cram into a smaller space, and which ones do I want faster access to. ...essentially.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
7zip Costanza

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

You ever zip your balls or dick into your pants zipper?

That's always a fun experience.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I agree OP. We should only use tarballs.

Tar my balls.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
7zip 7zap 7rap

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

britney_spears_nude_with_song.exe.jpg.tar.bz.bz2

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Tarkus posted:

britney_spears_nude_with_song.exe.jpg.tar.bz.bz2

poo poo *opens Kazaa*

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Your trial period has expired!!

Ok

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Serrath posted:

Like others have said it makes the file slower to access, and since space is pretty cheap nowadays the main reason anyone zips anything anymore is just to combine a whole bunch of files into a single download. And installers are compressed, and expanding the files is part of the install process. In fact with the wonderful 7zip you can right-click on a lot of installers and see all the files in them before running them, which can be handy in some cases, such as f you just want to pull the drivers folder out of a printer install package and not install the full garbage software suite with it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Three Zips for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men, doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the World Wide Web where the :filez: lie.

One Zip to hold them all, One Zip to compress them,
One Zip to bring them all and in the hard-drive bind them.
In the World Wide Web where the :filez: lie.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Serrath posted:

compressing and uncompressing files takes up CPU processing, it ain't free! sure, in some cases that slowdown would be negligible but you'd need a fast hard drive and CPU for that, but it will still always affect performance. Some games store all their assets compressed and uncompress them when they read them in to memory for the first time on start up.

7z is the best application for archives. i love it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
*compresses water.jpg*

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Serrath posted:

Because I don't want to email a coworker 4,000 separate files

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

One day when we have COVID-21 and 8zip, we'll look back on these days and have a hearty guffaw.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
More like 7hip. Even with broadband, it is faster for me to compress multi-gigabyte projects before uploading them, and faster to download them again. Granted, I work with file formats that allow very high compression ratios. If you're uploading jpegs, then yeah it's not always worth it.

Dignity Van Houten posted:

Because I don't want to email a coworker 4,000 separate files

Also this

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Im just moving this Debian tarball to the tar factory where they will Linux it and do a program

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
dot website dot OK dot NERDS

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Dads Dip Cup posted:

I'm going to archive this thread as .7z and put it into my rear end, and there's nothing you can do about it OP. I snort and guffaw at anyone who would be caught dead with a .zip or .rar stuffed into their rectum

Posting from the rear end.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

This Old rear end

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Halloween Liker posted:

dot website dot OK dot NERDS

This is extremely hurtful

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Rar opened with rarzilla is the best. One click instead of several for. zips and even more for 7zip formats

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoclTVcjkXE there's a follow up of when he received the CD

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Im Just programing my rear end to the shops, anyone want anything, said no body ever.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
bring back Yousendit

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

gently caress SNEEP posted:

compressing and uncompressing files takes up CPU processing, it ain't free! sure, in some cases that slowdown would be negligible but you'd need a fast hard drive and CPU for that, but it will still always affect performance. Some games store all their assets compressed and uncompress them when they read them in to memory for the first time on start up.

7z is the best application for archives. i love it.

Valid uses of 7z when every space saving counts. Not valid uses of 7z a media player app your releasing to the internet.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 1, 2021

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
In the past month I had a couple zip files that 7zip refused to decompress and said they were corrupt and winrar unzipped them just fine so now they both live together in harmony on my pc

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I miss getting to say pk in everyday context.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
PK Ripper is my zipper machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JV8b9r6r3k

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Tom Gorman posted:

i save all my files to the desktop and once it gets too full i make a folder and drag everything in there

then once i have too many folders i make a folder for the folders

I call that one "Master Files"

Dad?

Speaking of dads, mine clicked on the two dots at the top of a rar file hierarchy, which took him out of the rar file, so he thought his whole desktop was compressed. He kept wondering 'where those files were'. Next he decided to decompress the contents of the folder to make it 'easier' but thought he might need the compressed version later, so he put it in the decompressed folder to keep it organised.

Then he compressed that entire folder again.

Then he manually defragmented his hard drive with a program he got from a disk at the library.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

I use Linux so I just double click the file and it opens. :shrug:

How are you going to get viruses that way?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

What is that? Some strange ornament?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's got an adorable little QR code :3:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Sometimes it's faster to read a small file and decompress it in memory than reading a large uncompressed file. It depends on how fast the storage medium can deliver data.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I compress my DB back up files in 7Zip using ultra compression. Yes, this file will take 12 hours to decompress, but it will save you 1.8 GB of storage space.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
what's the problem op, 7zip is the only program worth using for managing compressed archives on windows so 7z is functionally identical to zip

On macos there is no ui worth using so you gotta use terminal and on linux you're probably already using the terminal but ok guis exist. Plus, on non-windows platforms you're just using .tar.gz anyway.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 3, 2021

Warthog
Mar 8, 2004
Ferkelwämser extraordinaire

Serrath posted:

What the others replied plus it allows you to split large files in chunks that can be transferred via floppy-disk or shared on eDonkey2000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

ProperCoochie posted:

7zip Costanza

there was compression!