Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the tier 5 unlocks seem kind of lackluster in general

leadership 5 and industry 5 are all colony poo poo (oh boy you get to make 5 bajillion dollars a month instead of 4, woohoo), tech 5 is a choice between the most endgame win-more trophy imaginable or a skill that's okay but only really shines if you have story points to burn

the combat 5 missile skill is admittedly really good if you personally plan to fly a missile boat, but i never do that, and the ship system one is incredibly underwhelming. i specced into it for the Doom -- which has one of the best ship systems in the entire game and benefits from almost every aspect of the skill -- and then specced back out because it wasn't really making a noticeable difference

in a sense i kind of appreciate this because it means i can go 4/4/4/3 and not feel like i'm really missing out on anything important, but it also means that this huge complex skill system boils down to just two meaningful choices (what flagship are you going to specialize in, and are you going to do a gimmick fleet comp like all frigates or King of the Junkyard or just be a generalist)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I honestly completely hate the new skill system. given that the whole thing has been scrapped and reworked several times i think it'd be a real shame if it ended up stuck on what, to me, is by far the worst iteration

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i think it's okay. i haven't really liked any of them, since from my perspective the real problems have never been solved or even addressed, but this iteration is the one where the choices between QoL and combat effectiveness are least painful

the one thing i do miss is that in the previous skill system i could pretty much spec out a character who could fly any ship in the fleet effectively, which was good for keeping the game interesting and being able to react on the fly to different situations. the current system strongly pushes you to specialize RPG-style and that's a mixed bag.

but on the other hand respecs are cheap enough so it's not too bad, you just can't swiss army knife your way around every single fight

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is it possible to get more colonies (aside from the colony skill) without penalties or is the game just balanced for that? I just found a cryo ship way out that I'd like to exploit but I already have 4 colonies closer to the core.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sankis posted:

Is it possible to get more colonies (aside from the colony skill) without penalties or is the game just balanced for that? I just found a cryo ship way out that I'd like to exploit but I already have 4 colonies closer to the core.

In previous versions Alpha Core AIs could be installed as governors but didn't count against your admin limit. I haven't tested it in 0.95a yet but I assume it still works the same way; at any rate there's nothing about it in the patch notes.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I think this version of the skill system is much better than the old one since you can actually get most skills you want while having to make some decisions along the way. I'm still going to mod it to allow me to keep leveling for longer campaigns but it doesn't feel mandatory any more. I can't think of anything I miss from the old system :shrug:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

In previous versions Alpha Core AIs could be installed as governors but didn't count against your admin limit. I haven't tested it in 0.95a yet but I assume it still works the same way; at any rate there's nothing about it in the patch notes.

Do note that doing this will make the hegemony send fleets to investigate reports of Bad Boys and iirc you have to manually bribe them off or tell your faction to resist inspection which instantly puts you at war with them so be prepared for that

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Making some mod progress

Sankis posted:

You can edit it in your settings file somewhere. Basically increase the number of admins you can have or the number of colonies you can manage directly

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

BULBASAUR posted:

poked around with modding last night

modding discord is mostly furries and anime avatars, this will end well

Be nice to the furries and weebs. They play videogames too.

Also, yeah, the StarSector modding community is super supportive and very well curated. It's top notch.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Found a pretty good system tonight.

Highlight is the Auric World with 125% Haz rating with Common Organics, Moderate Ores, Abundant Rare Ores, Rich Farmland, and Vast Ruins.
Next up is a Gas Giant with 175% Haz, Floating Continent(s), Extensive Ruins, diffuse Volatiles, and high temp.
Then a 200% Haz Barren with no Atmo, extreme temp, abundant ore and abundant rare ores.
A second barren world with no amto, ex heat, low grav, scattered ruins, abundant rare ore, sparse ore. 225% haz.
a third, distant barren world with sparse rare ore, abundant ore, poor light, no atmo, and extreme cold. 225% haz

System has 3 jump points, a domain-era sensor array, and two additional stable locations. Distance to the Core Worlds is pretty decent.

In addition a system about ~6-8LY away has a jungle world with a 75% Haz Raiting, Abundant Organics, Moderate Ore, Bountiful Farmland, and Scattered ruins with terraforming shades/mirrors in orbit. Only planet of note in that system though and it has a moderate remnant presence.

Still, I think thats the start of a nice little empire once I'm able to start colonization efforts.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wait, an auric world? in an unmodded game?

also lol the hegemony popped up a procgen mission to survey a coronal hypershunt, thereby giving the game away

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah I got a few mods

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
man, i wish there were more/better guides (for idiots like me) on how to start modding. apart from a single faction idea, i would love to try my hand at quest/story content.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Can events temporarily take you over your officer cap, or should I remove whoever the weakest link is to make room for adding level 6+ event officers?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Kitfox88 posted:

Do note that doing this will make the hegemony send fleets to investigate reports of Bad Boys and iirc you have to manually bribe them off or tell your faction to resist inspection which instantly puts you at war with them so be prepared for that

Yeah, i just had this happen. I think i may just take a break and then restart at some point in the future. i feel like i started my colonies too soon when i should have explored more to find better habitable planets and more stuff like this coronal thing and colony ships. Plus i seem to have accidentally sold a bunch of nanoforges and stuff that i wanted to keep. It is kinda metal that my capital is on a lava world though

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can events temporarily take you over your officer cap, or should I remove whoever the weakest link is to make room for adding level 6+ event officers?

Yeah you can find and hold more officers than the cap, just can't do anything with them or hire any more than the cap.

I think found crew/organs is the only thing that outright won't spawn more than you have capacity for? Not 100% sure.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Brandfarlig posted:

I think this version of the skill system is much better than the old one since you can actually get most skills you want while having to make some decisions along the way. I'm still going to mod it to allow me to keep leveling for longer campaigns but it doesn't feel mandatory any more. I can't think of anything I miss from the old system :shrug:

I think I mostly like the new system, it just needs some tweaking and balancing which is to be expected of a newly overhauled system. Some of the skills that rely on deployment limit are rather low. Phase corps and automated ships are notable offenders. Elite skills seems to be in a weird place where the cost is so low that upgrading isn't really a choice.

The permanent skills that can't be respecced... just shouldn't have been. It's clunky and probably has the effect of intimidating players away from choosing those skills or from respeccing in general.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Uh I got a job to scan a nebula...how do I do that?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
drat, expensive mods are a hell of a lot more useful now, since you can have up to 3 of them in any ship you want, basically for free.

Dominators benefit A LOT from built in safety overrides and heavy armor. Luddic Path Lashers already have their inbuilt safety overrides, and can now still have their full weapons/flux loadout while still taking very useful utility mods. (double missile ammo, heavy armor, hardened shields, etc)

The "beams do +50% damage at short range" officer skill is absolutely amazing. Even on ships you wouldn't expect it to be good on - it also makes cheap beam PD a lot more viable.

e: My old advice for new games remains: Make an excursion to Luddic Path space, get a bunch of their janky-rear end innate safety override ships and restore them, and you've got a fleet that will last you well into the midgame.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That isn't beams do +50% damage, that's all energy weapons, dependent on your flux levels.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I keep getting "Steal ship from the military" bar missions on my own planets. I have now stolen three 50K Auroras from my own military

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

E: ^^ okay that is hilarious. I wonder if the guards are like "well poo poo, the boss got drunk again, let him have what he wants"

The Muffinlord posted:

edit: is there a value or something I can modify to change the world speed? I'm chilling in orbit of my new system trying to let the game sim its way up a few months to grow my colonies but it takes a drat long time. I'm basically always playing on fast-forward; is there a way I can set it to, like, 2x speed as base, and maybe 4 or 8x for fast-forward?

I didn't see anyone answer this, there is indeed a setting you can change. In starsector-core\data\config\settings.json look for "campaignSpeedupMult" set it to whatever multiple of 2 you want.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Gaj posted:

Uh I got a job to scan a nebula...how do I do that?

Fly out to it, enter the system and look on your map. There should be a marker for the spot they want you to scan.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Standard recovery and no D-mods? Don't mind if I do :buddy:

..uh, what kinda fighter wings do folks usually put on one of these?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

my dad posted:

e: My old advice for new games remains: Make an excursion to Luddic Path space, get a bunch of their janky-rear end innate safety override ships and restore them, and you've got a fleet that will last you well into the midgame.

Luddic Path planets will also pay out the nose for...certain items. And you can use the black market exclusively since they don’t seem to patrol much.

Running guns, soldiers and hard drugs to the Space Jihad is an incredibly easy way to make a few million.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Arrath posted:

Generally high end bomber wings because the ship system (teleport fighters back to bays) allows you to skip the return trip from a bombing run and substantially increases their DPS.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arrath posted:

Personally, 4 dagger 2 Longbow. Failing that, 6 Khopesh is good.

2 Squall MLRS on the missile slot, rest pd lasers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Alternatively, take 2 Hurricane MIRV, but ONLY if you also take ECCM AND double ammo.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What’s a good player ship after the Wolf? I’m knocking out pirate orbital space stations now, and have a few colonies.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

buglord posted:

What’s a good player ship after the Wolf? I’m knocking out pirate orbital space stations now, and have a few colonies.

If you enjoy the Wolf's flanking-and-burst-damage playstyle, try the phase destroyer (Harbinger) or cruiser (Doom). In AI hands they're mildly obnoxious harassments that outlives everything else and then dies alone. In player hands, they're grim goddamn reapers that can practically solo entire fleets.

(Doom is more appropriate to your stage of the game but it can be a little hard to find one, and the Harby is a decent preview of what that life is like.)

If you don't feel like dealing with phase mechanics, the Aurora is basically "a Wolf, but it's a loving cruiser." With Safety Overrides + Unstable Injector + its ship system it can temporarily reach speeds in excess of 300 units/sec.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

buglord posted:

I really like the wolf and my progression usually goes Wolf -> Tempest -> Harbinger or Fury -> Aurora or Doom.

The Aurora and Tempest in particular are really drat fun with Safety Overrides built in

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If you just like the bullshit conventional frigate life, twin Phase Lances on a Tempest is a wonderful way to live.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

My brother ran into the dragon den blind with a low/mid tech fleet with no capital ships and only lost two enforcers. He did go all in with a PD based dominator, with IPDAI, ITU, heavy armor a PD skilled officer, mk9 and hellbore, all vulcans and flak, and a linked triple typhoon reaper with missile officer and expanded racks. His combo of flak+vulcans have about range 500 and swallows missiles and fighters

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 3, 2021

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

buglord posted:

SO Hammerhead with chainguns for something even more straightforward.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks for the Astral loadout tips.

In other news, oops I hit up Garnir as a fuel/supply piñata so many times it decivilized.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I’ve found some excellent colonization prospects in close proximity to each other and also pretty close to the core worlds.

I’ve never done any colony stuff before, any starter advice?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I’ve found some excellent colonization prospects in close proximity to each other and also pretty close to the core worlds.

Don't jump on free market, AI Managers, or Fuel production before you have military infrastructure in two colonies, i.e. a High Command or two and decent ship quality, a well armed space station in orbit too. Those will trigger AI factions to launch expeditions against you and you'll need defense.

Edit: In general space stations are a good early investment since small pirate raids have to go through the station first.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Christ this endgame stuff is just utterly loving miserable, what is even the point of adding it?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

buglord posted:

the medusa, because it is Two Wolves

railguns in the forward mounts, heavy blasters in the med slots, ion cannons in the front small energies and PD in the rest. fly in and just delete cruisers if you get past their shields

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

make friends with the pirates and the path and they won't raid you, they'll just occasionally disrupt shipping. they are literally your best friends and will never send expeditions against you if they like you. everyone else will eventually try to murder you purely for competing with their industries, blackbeard and space isis are the only ones you can depend on.

stick a gamma core on Population and the Spaceport to make things much easier for yourself. 2 gamma cores will take forever to trigger an inspection and you can just let the hegs confiscate them because they're everywhere, I've come back from an expedition with literally 100 of them before. the hegs won't even be very mad about it.
don't use better cores or freeport status until your colony has a substantial military protecting it because otherwise you will have to come back and babysit it constantly and the endless expeditions will make every faction hate you.

find a planet with a 100% or lower hazard rating to start with because otherwise you'll need hazard pay to make them grow and that's expensive.

in terms of industry the way to really make them bring in cash/effectiveness is with the special items, and those usually have planet modifier requirements. off the top of my head:
farming is best on a world that isn't a water world and doesn't have any rare ore deposits
mining is best on an uninhabitable world or, for volatiles, on a gas giant
light industry is best on a habitable world
heavy industry is best on a world that is either uninhabitable or already has the pollution modifier
military stuff is best on hot planets
refining and fuel production are both best on planets with no atmosphere. not just not a habitable atmosphere, no atmosphere at all.

and then finally: tech-mining is something you'll want to run for like, a few months anywhere you're allowed to build it before dismantling it.
commerce is for when you have a planet that is making a decent income and has a decent level of stability. when you build commerce, go whole hog with it: put in the special item, put in an alpha core, and upgrade it with story points. the end result is a 250% multiplier on all income attached to that colony. this is how you achieve infinite money.

edit: also, you can use Alpha Cores as administrators to go over the functional 6 colony cap that exists in this patch. don't, though.