Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Big Beef City posted:

The Spanish-American War is something that, even as someone who enjoys history in general, and American, at that, know WOEFULLY little about and I really should remedy that.

I wonder how much the average Spaniard knows about it.

Spain was an empire in decline. President McKinley was hungry for colonies and looking for an excuse to declare war on Spain, so when the USS Maine exploded while docked in Cuba, the US declared war, and seized Guam, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Philippines.

The first two are still US colonies. Cuba and the Philippines were given independence from Spain, but for all intents and purposes they also became colonies of the US until the 1950's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gutter Phoenix posted:

PAAS my egg whole

I saw one of these yesterday and legitimately wished I'd had a kid so we could dye easter eggs together. :(

Then I remembered kids are alot of work and money and got pissed at my brother for not having a kid so I could just be a cool uncle instead. :mad:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I saw one of these yesterday and legitimately wished I'd had a kid so we could dye easter eggs together. :(

Then I remembered kids are alot of work and money and got pissed at my brother for not having a kid so I could just be a cool uncle instead. :mad:

Just dye eggs, then have hard boiled eggs for the next couple days. No kid needed.

My mom DEMANDS I come over to dye eggs every year. I am 36.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Spain was an empire in decline. President McKinley was hungry for colonies and looking for an excuse to declare war on Spain, so when the USS Maine exploded while docked in Cuba, the US declared war, and seized Guam, Puerto Rico, Cuba, and the Philippines.

The first two are still US colonies. Cuba and the Philippines were given independence from Spain, but for all intents and purposes they also became colonies of the US until the 1950's.

Yeah those are the parts I knew when I said 'woefully little'.
I don't know specifics of the engagements, or personalities on any side including the Philippine rebels we backed and then faught a separate war against as a thanks like two years later, etc.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gutter Phoenix dye the eggs

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Big Beef City posted:

The Spanish-American War is something that, even as someone who enjoys history in general, and American, at that, know WOEFULLY little about and I really should remedy that.

I wonder how much the average Spaniard knows about it.

It is studied in school but kinda glossed over. In short, government crises all over, no public money, we had lost all colonies but for Cuba and Philippines, both were rebellious (with very justified reasons tbh), USA backed them up, we did lose them in the most humiliating way by sending young, unwilling, unprepared recruits half the world over in the aforementioned wooden ships. General perception today is "we really had that coming for a while".

Also, my great-grandpa was sent to Cuba to fight, he came back and we still have his "bag flag". That is a small, square Spanish flag with regiment coat and name, which was issued to all soldiers. So, in case they died in battle, they could be inhumated with the flag. Very important I guess.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 3, 2021

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That's very interesting, and thank you very much for taking the time to answer, that's much more than I'd expected, awesome!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Big Beef City posted:

I don't know specifics of the engagements, or personalities on any side including the Philippine rebels we backed and then faught a separate war against as a thanks like two years later, etc.

I cannot find the full text online, but if you get the chance, I recommend reading the 1981 Gore Vidal essay:
"Theodore Roosevelt: an American Sissy"

Also, his historical novel Empire takes place in the US during that period, and talks a bunch about all the movers & shakers at the turn of the 19th/20th century.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

Gutter Phoenix dye the eggs

Live fast, dye eggs.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Live fast, dye eggs.

Only the good dye young

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Big Beef City posted:

It may be apocryphal but I remember reading the 45 caliber sidearm becoming the standard for US Army soldiers because the 38 wasn't killing Filipinos fast enough/at all. America!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I remember reading that more American soldiers died from botulism/ food poisoning than from combat because they were fed 40-year old tinned meat leftover from the Civil War.

Gotta pinch those pennies!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Just dye eggs, then have hard boiled eggs for the next couple days. No kid needed.

My mom DEMANDS I come over to dye eggs every year. I am 36.

My mom is dead, I wish she was around. I'd colour the poo poo out of some muthafuckin eggs with her if I could.

I'm a 41 year old blue collar gun owning dude.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wesleywillis posted:

My mom is dead, I wish she was around. I'd colour the poo poo out of some muthafuckin eggs with her if I could.

Whoa good thing you added that part dude, now we know you are one tough hombre and not some egg dying pansy or worse - a woman or a liberal

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I wish my mom were alive so I could dye eggs with her too

I’m a 50 year old weaponless bitch city slicker, pm me

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I'm 36, my mom's alive, and I have no guns but I'm not dyeing any eggs

we are gonna go to the zoo together though :clint:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I'm 35 and live with my mom. I win this contest you ungrateful CHILDREN!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I'm gonna have lunch with my mom and not talk about guns or religion.

WASP 4 LYFE

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm 35 and live with my mom. I win this contest you ungrateful CHILDREN!

I noticed you didn't say she's alive

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I use my gun to paint the eggs

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

Whoa good thing you added that part dude, now we know you are one tough hombre and not some egg dying pansy or worse - a woman or a liberal

Yup, gotta make sure everyone knows I'm a manly man that OWNS GUNS.

I even operated a FORKLIFT for about ten minutes once!

I miss my momma:(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wesleywillis posted:

Dye the eggs and then shoot them.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm gonna eat all yalls mom's assholes. All of them. I'm a blue collar armalite kinda guy. :smuggo:

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I remember reading that more American soldiers died from botulism/ food poisoning than from combat because they were fed 40-year old tinned meat leftover from the Civil War.

Gotta pinch those pennies!

lol do you have a cite for this I want to read more that's hosed up.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I'm gonna eat all yalls mom's assholes. All of them. I'm a blue collar armalite kinda guy. :smuggo:

lol do you have a cite for this I want to read more that's hosed up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uni...American%20War.

I think it's also mentioned in Howard Zinn's "People's History of the US."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Smash Mouth dye the eggs.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Wow loving hell. lol just lmao. Skimming info about it, it's mentioned that, behind Sinclair's "The Jungle," this scandal galvanized public opinion about food quality standards and contributed to the passage of the Federal Meat Inspection Act and the act that established the FDA. Because Chicago meatpackers had a "deal" with the secretary of the Army.

:911:America:911:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Wow loving hell. lol just lmao. Skimming info about it, it's mentioned that, behind Sinclair's "The Jungle," this scandal galvanized public opinion about food quality standards and contributed to the passage of the Federal Meat Inspection Act and the act that established the FDA. Because Chicago meatpackers had a "deal" with the secretary of the Army.

:911:America:911:

Think about it every time the GOP tries to "deregulate" any industry.

I posted this pic from Fox News in the "LOL at Trump" thread last week:

poo poo never changes, just gets deeper.

Oh, and someone pointed out that that picture is actually a Russian meat processing facility, not one in the US.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

wesleywillis posted:

I miss my momma:(

So do I, brother. :smith::respek::smith:

The only guns I own are my ancient 10-.22 from when I was a kid that hasn't been fired in 20 years, and my dad's old blackpowder stuff that hasn't left its case in 10 years or so. Oh and I have a pellet gun somewhere. Painting eggs is fun.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Remembering dying Easter eggs with my Armenian grandmother the old-fashioned/poor way... with onion skins.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Remembering dying Easter eggs with my Armenian grandmother the old-fashioned/poor way... with onion skins.

Doesn't that make them look like they're made of marble?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

wesleywillis posted:

Doesn't that make them look like they're made of marble?

I wouldn’t say marble but sort of polished rock-like I guess?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Neat. Maybe it depends on what type of onion?
I think I remember something like that from "The Neat Stuff Something To Do Book".

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Gutter Phoenix posted:

woah there how dare you cite wikipedia in this thread

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Ok I'm sorry. I was a bit worked up last night about unrelated BS and I said some dumb poo poo.

Let's move on and talk about the good ol' country of America!

Here's something we've all seen!

Way to flex your privilege as an American.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

The Phillipines were completely a US colony until the 30s and partially until the Japanese invaded.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insular_Government_of_the_Philippine_Islands

I wasn't sure about Cuba so I looked it up and I'm just going to drop a couple wiki quotes that suggest it was de jure and de facto a US colony. Just for you, forums poster yikes!
"Under Cuba's new constitution, the U.S. retained the right to intervene in Cuban affairs and to supervise its finances and foreign relations."
"The U.S. intervened by occupying Cuba and named Charles Edward Magoon as Governor for three years." (1906)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

yikes! posted:

woah there how dare you cite wikipedia in this thread

Hey, don't you dare question my motherfuckin' laziness. Especially on Easter Eve, you sacriligious weasel breeder. You gotta lotta fuckin' nerve chief. I have half a mind to come poo poo on the hood of your car, and steal your lawnmower, and blast sexy rock outta my ghetto blaster until I seduce every last one of your friends and neighbors, then leave them high & dry, wanting more of me, always, forever.

Watch yer back, chief...

You'll be chewing my cud before the next vernal equinox. THAT'S A MOTHERFUCKING PROMISE!!!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

This is pretty cool. I've never seen that before.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Do the eggs get all oniony tasting?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gutter Phoenix posted:

unrelated to thread topic but the best excuse a power hungry country used to shoot at their enemies was the war of jenkins ear.

british merchan ship was boarded by Spaniards in peace time and they cut off the captains ear so britain declared war lol

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

unrelated to thread topic but the best excuse a power hungry country used to shoot at their enemies was the war of jenkins ear.

british merchan ship was boarded by Spaniards in peace time and they cut off the captains ear so britain declared war lol

Invading Grenada to protect a bunch of dumb rich kids at substandard medical schools from Communism was a pretty good one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Robo Reagan posted:

unrelated to thread topic but the best excuse a power hungry country used to shoot at their enemies was the emu war

ftfy