Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spankmeister posted:

I read somewhere that they used to treat severe constipation with mercury. Just a big ole glug of it to push everything down and clear it out.

They used to do a lot of poo poo with mercury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

I read somewhere that they used to treat severe constipation with mercury. Just a big ole glug of it to push everything down and clear it out.

I have also heard this tale

From multiple sources

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess it would cure it in a sense

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

spankmeister posted:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/how-reconstruct-lewis-and-clark-journey-follow-mercury-laden-latrine-pits-180956518/

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

spankmeister posted:

I can say with confidence that it would work very well as a laxative. Tastes better than milk of magnesia, too.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A big slug of mercury pushing stuff out of your intestinal tract will work yes.

What mercury concoctions won't do is make you immortal.
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article...magic%20potion.

quote:

Qin Shi Huang drank mercury, thinking it would give him eternal life
Hugely ambitious, Qin Shi Huang sought eternal life. He dispatched a minister overseas, never to return, in search of a magic potion. Knowing of ancient kings and sages who had lived 10,000 years and more by ingesting cinnabar (mercury sulfide), the emperor took to drinking draughts of wine sweetened with honey and laced with mercury.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CommonShore posted:

They used to do a lot of poo poo with mercury

Pictured: The Black Death.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

seen on reddit. why this dude gotta put the sushi directly on the wooden bath tub thingy? how does he plan to clean it??

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

loving lmao

The Australian owned British sausage company making South African sausages

Poopelyse posted:

seen on reddit. why this dude gotta put the sushi directly on the wooden bath tub thingy? how does he plan to clean it??

I mean sure but it do look good tho

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Poopelyse posted:

He's got a bath right there!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well he clearly does not possess water or soap

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

angerbeet posted:

Well he clearly does not possess water or soap

Who want to get wasoapy when you can get wasabi?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Brawnfire posted:

don't drop the wasabi

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

and I thought soapdick was bad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

and I thought soapdick was bad

Some parts you have to give ginger treatment

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MariusLecter posted:

What mercury concoctions won't do is make you immortal.
https://www.bbc.com/culture/article...magic%20potion.

One of the funniest things in Chinese history is the sheer number of emperors who killed themselves with mercury-based immortality potions. Dozens and dozens of them. They could not stop.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah but it looks cool, how can it not be magic?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

One of the funniest things in Chinese history is the sheer number of emperors who killed themselves with mercury-based immortality potions. Dozens and dozens of them. They could not stop.

They must have all went absolutely bonkers.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TontoCorazon posted:

Yeah but it looks cool, how can it not be magic?

Sure it's magic. Metal water is obviously magic. Their mistake was thinking it was immortality magic. It is never immortality magic.

A canny emperor would have them try the immortality potion on a mouse first. If the mouse is still alive in 5 years then shower the guy in riches. Mouse gets sick and dies? The guy is a quack.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The thing is tho that the high levels of mercury preserves the corpses from microbial decay. So a different kind of immortality.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Facebook Aunt posted:

A canny emperor would have them try the immortality potion on a mouse first.

A canny emperor would think about the 40 previous emperors who drank the immortality potions but are not, in fact, still alive and being emperors.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

A canny emperor would think about the 40 previous emperors who drank the immortality potions but are not, in fact, still alive and being emperors.

they lost the mandate of heaven, immortality doesn't mean poo poo to that

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Grand Fromage posted:

That shows that those potions didn't work, but not that the next potion won't work. This new guy has some great ideas.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

if you drink the first one youre gonna get yourself enough organic brain damage to drink the second one, and a third, and so on

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A while back Quick did a Darth Vader burger like that but with even more black poo poo

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Actually they tend to turn your poo poo lurid green.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Fitting, the movie turned a bunch of green into a lurid poo poo.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

fizzymercury posted:

Actually they tend to turn your poo poo lurid green.

Checks out, most black dyes are just high concentrations of green or blue. I bought a New Year's cake from the bakery clearance rack that was supposed to be sprinkled with black-dyed sugar. However, the blue dye the crystals had been saturated with had leached out into the frosting, making it look like the entire cake was covered in mold spots. The cashier had to do a double take.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JackEvans711/status/1378468995590987782?s=20

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/wormtopia/status/1378685586224123905?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm torn between how disgusting and pink it looks and the loving SEVERED CHILD HEAD WHAT THE gently caress

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The screaming of cooking eggs is the only thing that drowns out the torturing voice of the demon child's head sent from hell to punish me for my many crimes against God

E: What a coincidence that I posted this just after that video, haha

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Well at least she flipped it. That's the most important part.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020
People are weirdly desperate to try to get their money's worth out of their waffle iron without ever actually just thinking to make waffles.

Grunch Worldflower has a new favorite as of 20:16 on Apr 4, 2021

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The union of women who don't lift and women on keto is made up entirely of doll part collectors.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Apr 4, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just drape the bacon on the severed head of the child and put it in the oven until crisp.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Grunch Worldflower posted:

People are weirdly desperate to try to get their money's worth out of their waffle iron without ever actually just thinking to make waffles.

It's kind of a pain.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They also had reusable antimony laxative pills

quote:

We have referred in the past to the economy which used to be practiced by our fore-fathers. Thus, for instance, it was customary to use leeches over and over again and there are instances of infection with syphilis by leeches that had been previously used on luetic patients. But we believe that the everlasting cathartic pill beats everything in the line of economy. This pill was a little bullet composed of metallic antimony which had or was believed to have the property of purging as often as it was swallowed. It is not inconceivable that it might have had such property, for it is possible that a minute amount was dissolved by the gastro-intestinal juices and this amount, plus the suggestion, was sufficient to produce cathartic action. Then again the everlasting pill probably aided peristalsis by its mechanical weight and motion. The bullet was passed out, recovered from the feces and used over and over again. This, as Dr. J. A. Paris says, was economy in right earnest, for a single pill would serve a whole family during their lives and might be transmitted as an heirloom to posterity.[2]

I'd bold the crazy parts but they're all crazy. That bit about the syphilis leeches is pretty special.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimony_pill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This was your grandfather's poo poo pill, today it is my poo poo pill, and tomorrow, son, it shall be your poo poo pill.