Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

I've been using the full anja with hammer and it's a match made in heaven

It seems super good for hammer! I only have the gloves but 2 attack boost and 2 slugger is crazy

I have tried some Focus and it's actually not really as good as I thought it would be? Maybe I'm using it wrong but I never really felt like my charge needed to be 10% faster or whatever

I've been looking online a bit and people seem to think Slugger endgame is not as useful as having just more levels of attack or weakness hit or whatever but I love knocking out monsters 4 times a hunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the hammer is so comfy, i love being able to pull off stuff like this

https://i.imgur.com/vMoHGei.mp4

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

my buddy Superfly posted:

Hi, Rise is very good and I made fan art for it:

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1377322110301958149
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1378533155062353929

P.S. both lances rule and they are my friends.

thank you for these

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
also, a PSA in case anyone didn't know; you can dodge-cancel the recovery animation on wyvern riding attacks to attack way more. As such:

https://i.imgur.com/heCNJGO.mp4

you also don't have to do the finisher immediately so using this you can sneak in a few hundred extra free damage :sax:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah + if you wait to use the punisher sometimes they'll be ready to get up before the bar is empty, and can get a second knockdown out of it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Your Computer posted:

HARDCORE PARKOUR

Also drat, didn't realize you could Water Strike to nullify roars, that owns. I would try to do cool counterattack stuff more often but there's so little downtime where I'm not charging up an attack

Another good tip for mounting, if you're hunting say, a Rathian, and another monster comes in and slaps it and you get the option to mount the Rath, if you use Y to launch it into the enemy it will let you then mount the other enemy, letting you get a ton of free damage toward the monster you actually want to kill

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

You can also use Dash Breaker to ignore roars, it's amazing.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It seems super good for hammer! I only have the gloves but 2 attack boost and 2 slugger is crazy

I have tried some Focus and it's actually not really as good as I thought it would be? Maybe I'm using it wrong but I never really felt like my charge needed to be 10% faster or whatever

I've been looking online a bit and people seem to think Slugger endgame is not as useful as having just more levels of attack or weakness hit or whatever but I love knocking out monsters 4 times a hunt

Focus ain't great on Hammer since you sometimes actually want to use the level 2 sliding uppercut, and Focus reduces your window for that. Maybe not as relevant for Rise since you do get a sliding move on level 3 with Strength stance. Also unlike a weapon like Bow, you're not using charges as soon as you get them so Focus doesn't help land more charge attacks. It's not like the faster charge will let you do two smashes instead of just one nor does it increase the speed enough that you can smash in openings you previously couldn't.

Slugger is firmly in the nice to have category, it's not as good as it sounds because of how status buildup and resistance works in MH. I like it for multiplayer more than solo.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I use both Slugger and Stamina Thief because it means I get at least six times per fight where a monster is completely KO'd on the ground and tons more times where a monster is just standing around for free hits

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Does it still have the just frames combo stuff from MHW?

Yeah it’s basically the MHW SnS set including perfect rush except with switch skills it’s somehow got Even Better.

edit: vvv That poor Mitsu

orphean fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 4, 2021

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ojetor posted:

You can also use Dash Breaker to ignore roars, it's amazing.

Focus ain't great on Hammer since you sometimes actually want to use the level 2 sliding uppercut, and Focus reduces your window for that. Maybe not as relevant for Rise since you do get a sliding move on level 3 with Strength stance. Also unlike a weapon like Bow, you're not using charges as soon as you get them so Focus doesn't help land more charge attacks. It's not like the faster charge will let you do two smashes instead of just one nor does it increase the speed enough that you can smash in openings you previously couldn't.

Slugger is firmly in the nice to have category, it's not as good as it sounds because of how status buildup and resistance works in MH. I like it for multiplayer more than solo.

Makes sense, frees up some armor to try something else. And yes I spend a LOT of time running around glowing

Your Computer posted:

I did not know you could waterstrike a roar this is amazing

Hammer in Rise is the most fun I have ever had in a MH game.

Like I know I played SWaxe in this and didn't like it as much but maybe it's just Hammer is so much more fun it ruined other weapons for me

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So for people that have played a lot of Monster Hunter, I gotta ask;
Has HR Rathalos always been just a giant, flying rear end in a top hat?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yes. But try lance against rath and you can be the rear end in a top hat you always knew you could be.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played some World but I'm on track to play a lot more Rise and it feels like they made everything more mobile to make up for wirebug

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Spent two hours killing narg for a marrow and realized I misread the journal and that’s low rank only

Cool

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
High Rank :toot:

Gotta get that Aknosom S set asap I'm in love with quick draw and don't want to lose it

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yes but he got a huge overhaul in Rise - most of his moveset is new

in the old games he also spent a lot of time flying around, but that was mostly between areas :v:

see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfhOdM65HA8&t=96s

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Your Computer posted:

I love how you can be eight hundred miles away from a monster and it doesn't matter, you're always in range for a jumping attack.

https://i.imgur.com/zW6khgv.mp4

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
holy poo poo no one told me about assist kinsects, that's sick as hell. nearly instant full 3 buff and it attacks WITH you in your combos? gently caress yeah

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I dun did it. Cool fight with Narwa.

https://twitter.com/8bitminiboss/status/1378649627826606082

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I checked the list and this time, almost every monster is weak to fire, so I made the only LBG that can rapidfire the Piercing Fire ammo. Holy poo poo, either the build is completely unusable or you need a TON of skills to make it work because I used up absolutely all of my ammo and it still took 30 minutes to kill Basarios.

Uh, Basarios is literally a rock. You want water or dragon on that one.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

In MH:W, I've noticed the training room doesn't give you the full list of combos? Cause I've been doing some stuff freestyle and noticing different names for the moves that don't show up anywhere on the training list tips. Do I have to trial and error the remaining movesets or am I stupid and not seeing it?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Qubee posted:

In MH:W, I've noticed the training room doesn't give you the full list of combos? Cause I've been doing some stuff freestyle and noticing different names for the moves that don't show up anywhere on the training list tips. Do I have to trial and error the remaining movesets or am I stupid and not seeing it?

No, they're very much incomplete. You're better served looking at a weapon vid from Gaijin Hunter or Arekkz.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Thanks, sure would have been nice for the training room to hint that they're incomplete. I discovered some really great moves, I've also switched from the Buster (I'm decent with it but it requires 100% brainmode focus to anticipate the monster moves) to the Axe Switch which I love way more and I kick rear end with.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Back in Tri he spent so much time up in the air and out of melee reach we had to have a guy main bowgun and everyone brought full flashbombs, it was terrible. He's nimble and aggressive in rise, which is what he should be, but I still bring all my flashbombs.

I can easily believe he was ten times worse in MH1 and 2.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Eh, kind of but not really. He was way easier prior to Tri/3, which completely changed up his moveset and made him spend a lot more time in the air. He did have this stupid "Rathalos world tour" move where he flew around the skybox for like a solid 15 seconds before the doing a super easy to avoid swoop attack.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Got through all of hub with gunlance+LBG :toot:

Someone please tell me about kinsects so I can mess around with IG.

Get a powder/assist kinsect with high speed and blunt damage. Once you have your red/white/orange buffs mark the head and send your bug to attack. You'll rack up passive KO damage while you darth maul all over the place.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Apr 4, 2021

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Hammer chat: charged impact crater feels so good every time it lands

https://twitter.com/Die_phoon/status/1378531040495501312

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The bigger, better version of the Binbok joycons is available to buy again. They only list then when stock trickles in: https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Wireless-Replacement-Adjustable-Original/dp/B08ZH4XXNY/

The only difference from the excellent Hori Split Pad is this has motion control, works wirelessly, and built in batteries which charge when the switch is charged. Motion control is the main feature, I'd go with the Hori if that's not a big deal to you as it's cheaper and easily the most popular.

Both the Hori and this Binbok have the full size controller layout with dpad and buttons offset from the sticks. Most joycons replacements have them aligned and are less broad than these.

Got my Binbok yesterday and stopped playing on the TV with a DS4, my favourite controller. It's so good to have a decent set of joycons to use in handheld mode.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Rathalos got a revamp in rise and he's actually a threat now imo

I've fought rathalos so many times in the older games that he'd be on the ground half the fight from flash bombs. Unfortunately Rise has the same resistance to flash as he did in Iceborne. And he's way more nimble now. He's actually quite fun.

Rathian is still the same chump she always was tho

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

v1ld posted:

The bigger, better version of the Binbok joycons is available to buy again. They only list then when stock trickles in: https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Wireless-Replacement-Adjustable-Original/dp/B08ZH4XXNY/

The only difference from the excellent Hori Split Pad is this has motion control, works wirelessly, and built in batteries which charge when the switch is charged. Motion control is the main feature, I'd go with the Hori if that's not a big deal to you as it's cheaper and easily the most popular.

Both the Hori and this Binbok have the full size controller layout with dpad and buttons offset from the sticks. Most joycons replacements have them aligned and are less broad than these.

Got my Binbok yesterday and stopped playing on the TV with a DS4, my favourite controller. It's so good to have a decent set of joycons to use in handheld mode.

Another good thing about these if you have brain problems like me is that they're flush with the switch on the front, instead of being flush on the back like the hori split pad (why would they do this)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

v1ld posted:

Was just getting annoyed yesterday by drift for the left stick on my joycons so this is a timely post! Looks neat, thanks for the heads up

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Magnamalo's refusal to drop orbs is frankly childish. At least most people online are also going for orbs so he's like the one mon people rarely bother to capture.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Y’all are fighting giant monsters for rate drops, meanwhile I’m forced to beat cat people with a giant sword to get pawprint stamps so I can try to get that very good Felyne SnS. It’s very difficult, morally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

every time i'm about to go out with hammer i end up thinking "oorrr i could play the Hammer That Also Doots" and change gearsets

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Diephoon posted:

Hammer chat: charged impact crater feels so good every time it lands

https://twitter.com/Die_phoon/status/1378531040495501312

SO good

It's even better when you can do a big heavy combo and still have the chance to do charge > switch to yellow > full charged impact crater as the monster gets up (it is on the ground, knocked out, because you are a hammer user)

Like I know I just keep saying it but I had a good time with World, enjoyed it as my first real MH I got into, got to HR, and just stopped. Never did the HR endgame farm or that much multiplayer, just saw it as a fun action RPG I played for a bit

Rise, to me, is better in every way and I think Hammer is a big part of it

The wirebug movement is so fun and fluid and I can't believe I was playing a MH game without it
The wirebug specials give some really good nice finishers to weapons that didn't have them - I think this is part of the reason I am less big on Switch Axe this time around. Who needs a big finisher when every weapon has a big finisher
Hammer is so, so fun.It's incredible simple (Press button to bonk, hold button to bonk more) but it feels like when you're just focusing on the simplicity of "Hit Monster in Head" you learn so much about the monsters and the game and it's clicking with me much more than World ever did

I was doing some low ranks with a friend yesterday and I switched back to Swaxe to practice a bit and I was just like I should play hammer again

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So why switch to yellow? Seems like blue is better in every way, though I guess I’m basing that mostly on its level 3 moves. Sometimes I only remember to switch when i accidentally do yellow’s spinning level 3. Does your hammer do more damage in yellow?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So why switch to yellow? Seems like blue is better in every way, though I guess I’m basing that mostly on its level 3 moves. Sometimes I only remember to switch when i accidentally do yellow’s spinning level 3. Does your hammer do more damage in yellow?

Switching down to yellow instantly gives you a max level charge

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Changing to yellow instantly gives youn a level 3 charge so you can do a thing and (relatively) quickly follow it up with an impact crater or something.

That's mostly it tho

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
My favorite thing about Impact Crater is that the second damage number comes from you hitting the ground so hard the ground breaks and hits the monster from below as hard as you just hit it from above. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Rathalos got a revamp in rise and he's actually a threat now imo

I've fought rathalos so many times in the older games that he'd be on the ground half the fight from flash bombs. Unfortunately Rise has the same resistance to flash as he did in Iceborne. And he's way more nimble now. He's actually quite fun.

Rathian is still the same chump she always was tho

One of the coolest things in World was when Rathalos would destroy a bunch of scenery around its nest, throw you from the very top of the Ancient Forest and follow you down. Such a bastard. I wish Rise had more stuff like that.