Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

rolled credits on Rise after 25 hours. This is definitely not the end of the game but it’s still a good fight to “end” on

this game fuckin owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
finding the connection points between areas in ds1 was great but if you want the player to retread and reretread spaces the actual act of traversal has to be interesting and running past the same pack of rats is not that

in conclusion the only good open world game is death stranding

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Relax Or DIE posted:

finding the connection points between areas in ds1 was great but if you want the player to retread and reretread spaces the actual act of traversal has to be interesting and running past the same pack of rats is not that

Spider-Man does a good job of this

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Relax Or DIE posted:

As I was saying though, and as Videogames replaying the Undead Burg talked about, it can be fun to retread lower areas just to visibly see how much you've improved over your past self. Using your new skills and abilities on the earlier mobs is pretty cathartic and they really shouldn't slow you down much if you know where you're going.

But you can also do what Sekiro and Hollow Knight do and have it so over the course of the game, some of the core areas actually change in their design and enemy layouts, so retreading them becomes a fresh experience.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Relax Or DIE posted:

Plus you end up with the "climbing out of Blighttown backwards" problem where if you don't account for all possible routes you can end up locking players into extremely unfun situations.

Not unsolvable problems though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pretty sure my first video game was Freddi Fish

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Counterpoint: fast travel rules, retreading drools.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really like that Sekiro lets you re-challenge bosses whenever you want now, I want that in all Soulsborne games plz :pray:

Similarly Godhome was a nice addition to Hollow Knight.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Disaster Report 4 second report

Lol what the heck is this game! It's like a cross between Deadly Premonition and Shenmue, only instead of kung fu or alternate dimensions there's falling buildings, and most of the time you're just involved in banal and absurd side stuff

I dunno who these games were made for other than me and, presumably, some segment of Japanese gamer

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

my first video game memory was, unfortunately, this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcVdHNfQRhM

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Pretty sure my first video game was Freddi Fish

Freddi Fish 2 for me!

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
not my first game but as a kid we frequented a used media store where i got most of my games. for a while, when it was possible, they sold used PC games. somehow i ened up with the 'Selectware Classics Collection' (https://archive.org/details/SelectwareClassicCollection-Adventure-fantasyselectware1993) and i played the poo poo out of this cd. not so much the bill and ted game but as a moron child the threat of weird adventure game deaths in zak mckraken and maniac mansion were alluring and terrifying, and Savage Worlds (one of the two side games based on Ultima 6) was so open-ended and weird I had a hard time understanding how to even progress in it. I spent most of my time in it starting a new game, taking as many items as it would let me carry, and wandering aimlessly until i was killed by something.

I've never actually gone back as an adult and finished any of the three, I maybe should. Also Martian Dreams just because it seems neat.

it notes that it has 'over 50 demos and shareware' and I had a couple of CDs like this and I spent countless hours pouring over the list of demos. some of them were really just trailers for the game, but as I was, again, a moron child I was convinced that the full games were on the CD, just locked, and if I could work out the trick I could get access. on another disc, there was a cga text parser adventure game i can't recall the name of I played a lot. I think it was set in ancient something (rome maybe)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The first game I remember playing is Tag

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hope everybody's having a good day today

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

Did you use any gamer words

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

jojo part 6 got announced for an anime adaptation so by all means I'm having a great day

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think I played Mario bros on my parents old rear end atari. I don't remember a lot about it, just reeeeeeeeal vague memories.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello FAK, I am about a Dead Space 3 in terms of mood (i.e. average but decidedly worse than before and crushed by the realities of capitalism)

Hope the "2021 Q2" DLC livens things up a bit

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Simone Magus posted:

Mario Kart 64 with my little brother is the first game I ever played. My grandma got it and a N64 for my sixth birthday.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Convex posted:

Did you use any gamer words

No but we did play Cartoon Tag

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I cannot stress enough that "Cartoon Tag" has nothing to do with anime

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Simone Magus posted:

I cannot stress enough that "Cartoon Tag" has nothing to do with anime

smh more gatekeeping.........

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

wuggles posted:

rolled credits on Rise after 25 hours. This is definitely not the end of the game but it’s still a good fight to “end” on

this game fuckin owns

The village credits?

And :hai:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The first game I remember playing was "back to nature" on C64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNyT2qIdYdA

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i'm not honestly sure what the first game I played was but the first game I remember playing a shitload of was river rescue for the vic-20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePGHRGq-S2Q

drat the sterile horror of that soundtrack brings me back to being a toddler

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's weird to me that I have realized that for a lot of younger people today, their first video game is something like Fortnite. I knew a few people who's first video game was Destiny. For the longest time, everyone I knew, their first video game was from the same generation as mine, early day video games from Atari, Intellivision, Commodore, etc.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Simone Magus posted:

Disaster Report 4 second report

Lol what the heck is this game! It's like a cross between Deadly Premonition and Shenmue, only instead of kung fu or alternate dimensions there's falling buildings, and most of the time you're just involved in banal and absurd side stuff

I dunno who these games were made for other than me and, presumably, some segment of Japanese gamer

Its good, op keep going.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

After thinking it over, i legitimately have no idea what the first video game i remember playing was. I clearly remember playing Pong at a cousins house, and playing Space Invaders at the pizza place and the like, but i have no idea which of those kinds of memories is actually the earliest.

The first system we ever owned though, that i remember: the Sears Video Arcade II. Which was just a (cooler looking) Atari 2600.

It also had rad red LED lights and the controller joysticks doubled as paddles (they rotated). Plus i thought the controllers were way more comfortable than a regular Atari's.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mario Bros/Duck Hunt is such a boring answer but thats mine

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
NES Mario Bros is mine too. Must have been < 3 years old

Illusion of Gaia is the first really noteworthy one though. That and Kickle Cubicle

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Mario Bros/Duck Hunt is such a boring answer but thats mine

Its only boring if you let them take away all the magic

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

in celebration of VG beating dark souls 2 AND POSTING IN THE RIGHT THREAD THIS TIME i am going to link Happy Souls now and everyone (especially VG) is legally required to watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/Michael_Buffer/status/1378823623822036992

:aaa:

a kitten posted:

After thinking it over, i legitimately have no idea what the first video game i remember playing was.

I don't remember either, I know I must've played it at my spoiled well-off neighbour's house tho. They had a ton of NES games and terrible taste so one of their favorite games was Fester's Quest. My dad, ever the penny pincher, bought me a used Master System when I asked for a Nintendo. I played the poo poo out of Wonder Boy.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

bovis posted:

The village credits?

And :hai:

Yep!

Kerrzhe posted:

in celebration of VG beating dark souls 2 AND POSTING IN THE RIGHT THREAD THIS TIME i am going to link Happy Souls now and everyone (especially VG) is legally required to watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws

Ah gently caress I missed it??? Congrats VG!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

Its only boring if you let them take away all the magic

I don't even like Mario games...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wuggles posted:

Yep!

Ah gently caress I missed it??? Congrats VG!

He made a mind boggling amount of progress today, beating a grand total of 8 bosses, including some of the hardest in the game. It was a triumphant final push.

May 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I don't remember either, I know I must've played it at my spoiled well-off neighbour's house tho. They had a ton of NES games and terrible taste so one of their favorite games was Fester's Quest. My dad, ever the penny pincher, bought me a used Master System when I asked for a Nintendo. I played the poo poo out of Wonder Boy.

thread question: if you were lucky enough to have parents try to buy you games that weren't just the ones you asked for, what were the best/worst/weirdest ones you ended up with?

for me the best was probably the original final fantasy. my conception of games was basically mario, wolfenstein, and monkey island so this weird turn-based rpg threw me for a huge loop. i'm a huge FF fan now so it's hard to argue that this wasn't the best pick they ever made. runners up go to colony wars, simtower, and shining force on game gear

the worst (not counting like, the odd tiger handheld) was probably a game called Knight Quest on the GB and to be honest I could not tell you why. I hated this game as a kid for some reason. I had to look it up to see what it was and it looks inoffensive if boring so I'm not sure why I had such contempt for it.

weirdest is a game called Azrael's Tear my grandparents sent for christmas one year. i figure it had the words 'holy grail' and a cool roboknight on the cover so that was probably a winning combo for grandparents who didn't know anything about computer games. I never made it very far in this game, but I recall it being a weird sort of mess of mechanics. like a proto-proto-metroid prime or a off-brand system shock. this one would probably be cool to revisit, I may actually still own the disc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

once i asked for Street Fighter for my bday, and received Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight

it worked out in the end 'cos i enjoyed it more than i do fighting games anyway :v:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Regy Rusty posted:

He made a mind boggling amount of progress today, beating a grand total of 8 bosses, including some of the hardest in the game. It was a triumphant final push.

Beating the Ivory King on his first try with the last knight surviving was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

One time I asked for mario rpg but I guess money was tight so I only got the player's guide (I got the actual game at christmas not that much later). At the time I was disappointed but I spent ages reading the poo poo out of that thing and getting hyped.