Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Thump! posted:

All of NATO's assault rifles and guns fuckin suck, saying one is better than the other is like choosing the best tasting turd

:ussr:

Isn't the L85 or whatever like a legendarily huge piece of poo poo though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Loucks posted:

Yeah, I know. I’m just being argumentative.

And “being a male scifi/fantasy author” is a huge red flag when it comes to sex pestery. Sucks and is often so obvious in the text itself. I don’t hide my love for sci-fi because it’s childish (it is!); I hide it because so many of the authors are horrible people.

gonna hazard a guess that douglas adams was a pretty standup fellow

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Chillgamesh posted:

Isn't the L85 or whatever like a legendarily huge piece of poo poo though

the rifle in the meme is whatever the british army version of the fal was. other than being used by fascist imperialists, it was probably a fine rifle

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/1378485199248355335?s=19

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/yohanetsushima/status/1378896688937627649

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/politeandnice/status/1378512242862215173?s=21

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Voice of Labor posted:

gonna hazard a guess that douglas adams was a pretty standup fellow

Gosh I hope so

I accidentally ran into his grave in Highgate cemetery, where Marx's grave is located in London.

There was a towel in front of it at the time. My heart skipped a beat when I realized what I was looking at.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
There was a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster there when I stumbled upon it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I thought I saw something weird, but I decided that it was somebody else’s problem.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yes my job is groundskeeper at a graveyard, cleaning up the literal garbage that people drop on the graves. It's a living, ha ha!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
That joke hung in the air in much the same way bricks don't.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Gosh I hope so

I accidentally ran into his grave in Highgate cemetery, where Marx's grave is located in London.

There was a towel in front of it at the time. My heart skipped a beat when I realized what I was looking at.

“Wrirer”?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency and The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul are terrific books. His epic battle with his cleaning lady about who will open the fridge first is classic lol

Love Douglas Adams

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

The Voice of Labor posted:

the rifle in the meme is whatever the british army version of the fal was. other than being used by fascist imperialists, it was probably a fine rifle

I was talking about the L85; the FAL is good, and not really what i would consider a "modern" assault rifle, despite still being in use

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

Gosh I hope so

what's the deal with the pens? I read the books ages ago, i just remember 42 and the towels

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maya Fey posted:

what's the deal with the pens? I read the books ages ago, i just remember 42 and the towels

quote:

Somewhere in the cosmos, he said, along with all the planets inhabited by humanoids, reptiloids, fishoids, walking treeoids and superintelligent shades of the color blue, there was also a planet entirely given over to ballpoint life forms. And it was to this planet that unattended ballpoints would make their way, slipping away quietly through wormholes in space to a world where they knew they could enjoy a uniquely ballpointoid lifestyle, responding to highly ballpoint-oriented stimuli, and generally leading the ballpoint equivalent of the good life.

And as theories go this was all very fine and pleasant until Veet Voojagig suddenly claimed to have found this planet, and to have worked there for a while driving a limousine for a family of cheap green retractables, whereupon he was aken away, locked up, wrote a book and was finally sent into tax exile, which is the usual fate reserved for those who are determined to make fools of themselves in public.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

:thx:

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

thotsky posted:

I was talking about the L85; the FAL is good, and not really what i would consider a "modern" assault rifle, despite still being in use

The L85A1 was an unreliable piece of poo poo rifle hated by every solider who had to use it, but it was more or less completely redesigned by H&K in 2000 into the L85A2 which made it considerably better

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/danajiru/status/1378996478195077121?s=20

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

this is like a cumtown bit brought to life

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

thotsky posted:

L85s are dumber than gently caress because A: It's a bullpup, and B: it would cough if a single speck of dust got in the receiver, which tends to happen on occasion in combat. As Charles Ingalls said, it got reworked into a passable assault rifle by the Germans because the Brits just completely hosed it up. The weapon from the meme, an L1A1 (a British FAL) is heavier than gently caress and like most battle rifles (like the G3 or M14) was like 4 moa or something ludicrous. They're all pieces of poo poo when compared to something like any AR or AK patterned rifle.

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
don't know enough about the others, but a G3 is definitely capable of better accuracy than 4 moa (it has a free floating barrel)

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/chickenpaprika/status/1378891924195672070

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/kevin14318358/status/1307466433564086272

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
i'm the three likes

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Musk you dumb rear end in a top hat you're taking the exact wrong track for your stupid implant garbage. The state of neuroscience is exactly why you would need actual experts who want to push the frontier of knowledge. There's a reason "brain surgeon" is up there with "rocket scientist."

Actually nevermind this way he's a lot less likely to invent nerve stapling or cyber hell.

Wait does this concept of "engineering first and we'll figure out the theoreticals live" also explain why the rockets keep blowing up and the cars keep crashing? Cause this poo poo is not a bunch of solved problems you simply need to implement solutions to, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's just a way to get more ill-advised investments and adoration from weird internet nerds. you know, the exact same as every other field musk has gone into despite not knowing poo poo about poo poo.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
the future of brain implants are starlink compatible subcranial studs that broadcast uninterruptible daytime TV ads directly into your visual cortex at random intervals

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

as a neuroscientist who specializes in brain-computer interfaces who works at the cutting edge, I can say with confidence that anything he is working on is PR vaporware bullshit, a project he created to fan his ego

though he is perhaps he is the highest profile case, there are plenty of hucksters who want in on what they assume will be The Future. I recommend throwing it on the pile with flying cars, personally.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Charles Ingalls posted:

don't know enough about the others, but a G3 is definitely capable of better accuracy than 4 moa (it has a free floating barrel)

I'm sure that accurized versions of it are just like the M14 and FAL, but out of the box their accuracy was generally inferior when compared to modern rifles, and at the end of the day it's still a heavy hunk of poo poo like it's cousins.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
from the man that brought you "car thinks semi truck is bridge" and "grain silo with rocket nozzle" comes "device that will electrocute your brain with bazingas"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Lobe posted:

as a neuroscientist who specializes in brain-computer interfaces who works at the cutting edge, I can say with confidence that anything he is working on is PR vaporware bullshit, a project he created to fan his ego

though he is perhaps he is the highest profile case, there are plenty of hucksters who want in on what they assume will be The Future. I recommend throwing it on the pile with flying cars, personally.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

whoa you mean elon musk is doing the most completely wrong thing possible??

good luck with your neuro work!!

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Thump! posted:

L85s are dumber than gently caress because A: It's a bullpup, and B: it would cough if a single speck of dust got in the receiver, which tends to happen on occasion in combat. As Charles Ingalls said, it got reworked into a passable assault rifle by the Germans because the Brits just completely hosed it up. The weapon from the meme, an L1A1 (a British FAL) is heavier than gently caress and like most battle rifles (like the G3 or M14) was like 4 moa or something ludicrous. They're all pieces of poo poo when compared to something like any AR or AK patterned rifle.

despite being a bullpup and ostensibly designed to be handier, the L85 also weighed the exact same as the old L1s and had the weight all in the back so it wobbled during firing and hosed up your sight picture. :britain:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/gerrieyaki/status/1378836417456046081

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Implant me with the chip that gives me constant orgasms you cowered

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

My "I would Never Hit Your Grandma" shirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Thump! posted:

My "I would Never Hit Your Grandma" shirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my shirt.

i'd wear that shirt but a version without the hashtag, to cover more ground.