Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh that almost happened, they prepped for it after the ultrasound showed her flipped into breach position

fortunately she flipped back just in time, but it was altogether about three days of delivery thanks to that and the induction

apparently all the doctors around here are getting superstitious about delivering there (roseville) because none of them seem to have a routine time of it, like it's been a shitshow every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

rotor posted:

surprised they didn't just say "ok c-section it is"

some places actually really don’t want to do c-sections

also a big part of successful recovery from c-section is being able to be mobile, the two broken legs wouldn’t help

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh that almost happened

i stand corrected lol

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i remember the funniest part of the "so you're having a baby" class we took was this nurse asking everyone what they thought the worst case scenario of childbirth was and she got answers like "i chose no drugs but the pain is too intense and I've missed my window for an epidural" or "the child gets stuck in the birth canal and they have to use tongs" and she was like:

quote:

No, the worst case scenario is that the child is strangled to death with the umbilical cord and the mother bleeds out and dies.

and the crowd quieted down for a while

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

they better fuckin sedate you if you're left after that happens christ

I know someone that had the "said she could still feel after the epi" and was told "nah you're fine" by a junior and then had a c section and nope, she was right and she could feel it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my wife had a real tough first delivery and between the drugs and the pain she has like a four day gap in her memory from stress amnesia

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it really puts into perspective how little you have to do with all of the baby making and delivery process as a man

you just shoot some stuff in her, and after that all you can do is be there for her. it's really weird

don't know how it could be different though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:biotruths:

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

Tankakern posted:

after that all you can do is be there for her

hey don’t sell this part short though, i was in the hospital for a week all told with serious complications and without my partner there (who stayed the entire time, sleeping on a couch), i would’ve been terrified

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
we went in for induction the day before florida started the first quarantine and no one was allowed in but me. They started the induction at midnight but by 8 am the doc came in, did a quick ultrasound, and just said WE GOTTA GET YOU IN FOR AN EMERGENCY C-SECTION and just completely railroaded us into the surgery on the pretext the baby was breach and umbilical was wrapped around her neck. so that sucked.

oh if anyone doesn't know, look into pelvic physical therapy for the mother. my wife went from not being able to even feel her abs or engage them in any way to being stronger than before. Lots of pelvic floor and kegel work, electrostatic therapy (i think), and her therapist helped with things like the trauma of it all. She went from not being able to even look at the scar to being able to perform physical therapy massage on it regularly. It was a lot of intense work and it wasn't cheap (~ 2000 dollars for 8 sessions), but following the diet and exercise plan, doing the home therapy, and the 8 sessions helped her lose 50 pounds. because our kid came out over 10 lbs there's a lot of skin that still needs to reduce so we are looking at some cosmetic surgery for it but that has to wait till 6 months after weaning.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

got woken up with a cry of "ohhh nooooo" and mini two hander had fired a shotgun blast of poop at the very instant her nappy was undone and it was splattered up the wall, on the carpet, everywhere

happy easter?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Hahahahaha I've had our worst poosplosion happen in the middle of a restaurant outing, thousands of KMs from home. Wife didn't even notice it happened until I told her (after fixing it), and one of our friends with kids looked at me like I was a god for the way I handled it. It was the first time I actually thought "ok maybe we can actually do this thing".

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

rotor posted:

my wife had a real tough first delivery and between the drugs and the pain she has like a four day gap in her memory from stress amnesia

Mine was hallucinating for the 24hrs after delivery due to pain/no sleep from a natural birth, that was super scary.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum

Tankakern posted:

it really puts into perspective how little you have to do with all of the baby making and delivery process as a man

you just shoot some stuff in her, and after that all you can do is be there for her. it's really weird

don't know how it could be different though

I got to cut the umbilical cord, which was pretty cool. but yeah you basically stand there and maybe hold a leg or something to make it seem like you are helping.

Edit:

For poo explosion chat my daughter had a huge blow out while we were touring the UN. I have a vivid memory of carrying her around stark rear end naked while looking for mom because she had the change of clothes.

Oh we also had the projectile poop onto the wall, the kitchen table, etc. but the funniest one was when our then dog peaked his head in during a changing session and was rewarded with a stream of poop right into his face.

Mahatma Goonsay fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 4, 2021

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i cut the umbilical cord both times and on child 1 it sprayed everywhere, all over the midwife :waycool:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I did the cutting for all of the children and I often remind people that it is the most important part of the process.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
same. did it for both kids. doctor offered to let me deliver the first one myself right before he came out. wife quickly vetoed that one.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I suggested it to my wife, adding that there would be little difference to assisting the birth of a sheep or cow, which I have successfully achieved many times.

apparently this was not a helpful thing to say during labour :rolleye:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i was supposed to snip the cord but the birth went a bit sideways and we were moments away from it becoming an emergency c-section. also the anesthesiologist hosed up the epidural. it's ok though, it went all right by grace of the vacuum extractor and once it was in gear it went very fast. like a magician pulling a blue and white rabbit out of a blood-filled hat

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I suggested it to my wife, adding that there would be little difference to assisting the birth of a sheep or cow, which I have successfully achieved many times.

apparently this was not a helpful thing to say during labour :rolleye:

wow, sounds like maybe she was being kind of insensitive at the time. sorry, moocow.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i’ve seen cats have kittens—well, i mean i looked away right when they out—so I’m pretty sire i cpuld handle a baby human.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Winter kids were both home births, which went unbelievable smoothly. We had midwives that were more than willing to send us to the hospital if something went wrong, but both kids were out in less than 12 hours total so score one for letting natural processes do their thing in comfortable, familiar settings.

Apparently other countries are big on home births, and the numbers are actually really good for outcomes compared to in-hospital visits. Wife had to get into good shape for it, but being pregnant is a great incentive to do a bunch of squats in the 9 months prior.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
we're doing a virtual baby shower so our apartment has been completely taken over by a variety of boxes

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i suppose this is good practice for our home being taken over by a variety of child paraphenalia

Solus M.D.
Oct 17, 2007

what did i just post?

kitten emergency posted:

i suppose this is good practice for our home being taken over by a variety of child paraphenalia

we are currently experiencing baby creep, the only places in the house without baby toys/play area right now are the office and kitchen

it’s only the beginning

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the youngest is starting elementary school tomorrow :shobon:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
are they going IN school?

whats the class sizes like? i have friends who have their kids in pre-k but they wear masks and have a class size of 4 and sounds miserable.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
we're in tokyo, so schools have been open for a while. they're doing preventative measures which seem to be working ok.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

we're doing a virtual baby shower so our apartment has been completely taken over by a variety of boxes

how much explosive gender reveal powder did you buy?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

President Beep posted:

how much explosive gender reveal powder did you buy?

i'm shipping every attendee an exploding package of bees

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Solus M.D. posted:

we are currently experiencing baby creep, the only places in the house without baby toys/play area right now are the office and kitchen

it’s only the beginning

same except there's a chair thing in the kitchen

she looks like she's working at a desk when she's in it it's hilarious.

also rolling is so last week, this week is all about grabbing your own feet.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Solus M.D. posted:

it’s only the beginning
i'd rather have baby creep than have to deal with babygates

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ugh, baby gates.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Can't imagine the sort of havoc you get when Baby Gates shows up, I'm sure him and Baby Ballmer are a nightmare.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nobody let dreamworks know about that joke

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Pirate Babies of Silicon Valley

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Kenny Logins posted:

i'd rather have baby creep than have to deal with babygates

we have a fenced in area (with this stuff) and it doesn't bug me too bad

though we accidentally started calling it "baby jail" in front of the 3 year old so now she calls it that too

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

shoeberto posted:

Pirate Babies of Silicon Valley

Pirate Babies!
They make their dreams come true
Pirate Babies!
They'll do the same for you

When your world looks kinda weird
and you wish you weren't there,
just log onto the internet
and you can be anywhere

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

ugh, back on the child cold treadmill. take time off because kids have a cold, and then i get sick and take more time off.

little one is supposed to get ear tubes and adenoids out this week, but we found out yesterday that his eardrum ruptured again so now we expect that’ll have to be put off. delayed by the very thing it’s supposed to prevent. hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

President Beep posted:

ugh, back on the child cold treadmill. take time off because kids have a cold, and then i get sick and take more time off.
One of the things I don't miss about toddler phase.