Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I do think there's something to be said about how the game clearly expects you to have a golf bag of different weapon types on you at all times, just in case something shows up that your preferred loadout can't deal with.

I walked into one particular boss fight with a bolt-action rifle and a shotgun, but fortunately had a random heavy machine gun in my bag. With Blighted Rounds, Cryo Turret, and the Tech Shaman talent for Technomancers that makes Freeze apply Vulnerable, I chewed that boss up pretty well despite being pretty far outside my comfort zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I never really bothered with leveling up sub-stats as I played as it was, like, spend 80 shards to gain 1% extra life leech. Oh, and if you level up your weapon, you lose your spent sub-stats.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The servers have been fine pretty much all day. Game is good. Not great by any stretch, but it does its one thing very well and serves as an excellent proof of concept with some occasionally cool fringe surprises. I don't get some of the relentless crapping on it that I'm seeing, but I actually think it's a better playing game than Remnant and that more than earns the $50 I tossed GMG for it.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Nalin posted:

I never really bothered with leveling up sub-stats as I played as it was, like, spend 80 shards to gain 1% extra life leech. Oh, and if you level up your weapon, you lose your spent sub-stats.

You lose one tier of sub-stat upgrade when you level up gear. If you have a good set rolling, keeping it up-to-date isn't too difficult if you spend any amount of time just farming up goodies.

Looking at armor and guns, I go by two mandatory aspects:

-Firepower/Armor - Higher than current, OR within 5-10% of current (if lower - and other conditions are met) - There is a HUGE variance in this. I am at level 30, with 38 level items, and the difference between a good and bad rolled armor is something like 1.5 thousand armor points. Alas this stat cannot be rerolled or changed. This is one of two 'key' components for upgrades.
-Mods - at least one of my 'mandatory' mods - be it a skill one, or a good passive on armor, or something powerful in the tier II slot on a gun (death chains, bone shrapnel, anomaly ammo, etc - you'll learn which ones you like). This is the other 'key' component when looking at an upgrade.

If these two conditions are satisfied, look at substats:

-Armor pierce on weapons, your 'main' stat on armor (anomaly or firepower, HP if needed) <--- this is going to be where late game speccing is going to get hung up the most. At least Anomaly power is never really a 'waste' since it improves aspects of skills besides damage. I don't know if anomaly power or firepower affects the damage of mod effects?
-Close/Long range damage - get as much of whichever you like
-Weapon leech/ skill leech - both of these can be super important

Other Stuff ~ there's a bunch of other stats that are of middling to negligible value depending on your build

'Perfecting' the substats on your armor and guns is going to take the longest since you cannot reroll them, only improve what the item came with. I've had higher firepower Double Rifles drop, for example, but mine has 30% armor penetration which makes up for a ton of base damage.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

DarkDobe posted:

I've mentioned titanium/epic farm before - so I went ahead and made a video of the best one I've come across so far.

Easy to reach (it's a Hunt quest) and resets quickly - and you can rush into the cave to kill the little enemies and make the boss spawn quicker.

Pause near the start to take a peek at my mods. This is hardly an ideal setup - I am very anomaly heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXW7XvfCdEg

After the boss is dead I kill the two flyers as well, as they have better loot chances.
Use autoloot to pick up everything before I let them kill me.

For reference, my talent tree is:

I actually think the Chrysalid fight is faster for farming Titanium and Epics if you really want to farm that way. Takes about 90 seconds to kill including all the unskippable cutscenes for guaranteed epics and titanium. It's definitely easier since you barely have to pay attention.

That said, expeditions are obviously the best way to "farm" for Titanium because if you just sell the blues/purples you get on them, you get enough scrap to buy hundreds of Titanium from the shop per ~10 min expedition.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of armor penetration, I never went all-in on weapons or anything, but something I noticed just playing the game normally is that enemies with more HP also tend to have more armor (ie: melee dudes, shotgun dudes, etc), while enemies with high resistance tend to have low HP (ie: gunners, sniper, etc.). So, like, overall anomaly damage tends to be better investment than weapon damage, since weapon damage mostly helps you kill enemies who are easy to kill anyway.

That basic analysis doesn't include armor piercing which might change things a lot, but it's just something I planned around in choosing gear or a build.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I chose the LMG, but holy poo poo what a choice:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kenshin posted:

It's always those three weapons, btw. I got those three, and my brother who I was cooping with got the same three.

I just immediately scrapped one though since I didn't want any of them.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Kenshin posted:

What quest line is this from? I’ve been slacking on doing all the side quests.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ihatepants posted:

What quest line is this from? I’ve been slacking on doing all the side quests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzICMIu5zFY

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kenshin posted:

It's only really a choice between the sniper and the LMG as the shotgun is the "breach" variant, which means it is inferior to standard purple shotguns.

I got that same stupid shotgun twice and I dismantled it twice.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly I don't much like the "Weightlessness" effect either since instead of freezing them in place like Freeze or Ash it makes them float on their back so it's hard to get headshots.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Can they stop having extended fights into a mini boss with NO AMMO RESTOCKS? This would be less of a problem if my backup weapon was half as good as my main but the legendary I got is so much better than anything else I pick up.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Nalin posted:

It's only really a choice between the sniper and the LMG as the shotgun is the "breach" variant, which means it is inferior to standard purple shotguns.

Isn't changing variants effectively free with no drawbacks?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Carecat posted:

Yeah it costs a piddly amount of Iron

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Carecat posted:

Legendaries can't have their variants changed, otherwise that shotgun would be amazing

I swear I'm losing my mind. I had a piece of armor with a tier 2 mod that just flatly increased my armor by a huge amount, got a new armor piece that had a good 2nd mod in it, and so I deconstructed the first armor to add that mod back into the 2nd. I can't find it now for anything and I don't remember what the mod was called.

e: also side question can you replay the hunts and bounty side missions? Do you have to go back to the pile of bones/poster that started it?
e2: I did find the mod it's called Damage Absorber and was right there all the time

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 5, 2021

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can repeat those side quests whenever you want. Where they start from will appear on the minimap as a greyed out symbol.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bardeh posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure you can repeat those side quests whenever you want. Where they start from will appear on the minimap as a greyed out symbol.

That doesn't seem to work amazingly well. I repeated a side quest, and the only loot I got was from the boss drop. No after-quest loot given.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Nalin posted:

The shotgun as a whole is pretty bad. However, getting it and breaking it down for the mod is a good choice. I slapped it on this gun and holding mobs stationary in the sandstorm is great.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

now when I look at a exotic weapon I ignore the pretty model, and look at the mods, a green weapons with a mod you don't have is better than a exotic with mods you already have

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That doesn't seem to work amazingly well. I repeated a side quest, and the only loot I got was from the boss drop. No after-quest loot given.

Pretty sure that's working as intended. The Hunt bosses drop 2 guaranteed purples and some Titanium, which is probably enough reward to justify farming the quicker ones a few times if you need some quick resources. The actual side quests themselves tend to be longer and more lore-driven and aren't worth repeating.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
So, beat the story. I liked it. Definitely slammed the world tier lower for the last fight because gently caress that but fun all around.

Got a cool shotgun from unlocking WT13:

Bardeh posted:

Pretty sure that's working as intended. The Hunt bosses drop 2 guaranteed purples and some Titanium, which is probably enough reward to justify farming the quicker ones a few times if you need some quick resources. The actual side quests themselves tend to be longer and more lore-driven and aren't worth repeating.

In the demo if you repeated a quest that had given a choice at the end it would just drop a random weapon into your inventory when you turned in the quest; not sure if that's true for all sidequests that offered rewards choices.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

fast cars loose anus posted:

So, beat the story. I liked it. Definitely slammed the world tier lower for the last fight because gently caress that but fun all around.

It was the trash fight before the final boss that I had to finally lower the difficulty on. Caster with boss level of health and two beefy boys with very few grunts to get kill procs off? No thanks.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Having played some expeditions, they really need to do a balance pass for solo play versus grouped up. I did several expeditions solo, which turned into a huge clusterfuck of enemy spam, and then did the same expeditions as a 3-stack and the enemy counts did not change at all. Just mowed through them, total cakewalk. I think they balanced the entire game around havig 3 people shooting at enemies and just forgot to make solo play even slightly easier. It makes the later tiers of expeditions almost pointless since there's almost no way you're getting the gold tier rewards, and if you end up not getting bronze, well you can just enjoy the shower of useless blue gear i guess?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Cyks posted:

It was the trash fight before the final boss that I had to finally lower the difficulty on. Caster with boss level of health and two beefy boys with very few grunts to get kill procs off? No thanks.

I always made sure to carry a sidearm, secondary weapon or both that had either weapon leech inherently or the mod that makes shots leech so I was able to stay midrange most of that fight, popping in to drop some twisted rounds shotguns to the back when my slow time was off cd

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm only level 11 and I've been using a rifle with life leech and it's been quite handy on my Devastator.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I’ve been playing this as Mass Effect 4 with my Devastator. Shotgun blasts to the face and Always Be Charging, sorry Always Be Gravity Leaping.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I found gravity leap to be a little finicky if enemies have cover. Haven't managed to leap into a doorway.

Impale, though? :getin:

I'm still going down the bottom tree to go hard on Seismic skills, they seem like fun so far.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Did they stealth nerf the Volcano Boss' titty drops :shobon: All jokes aside, I'm not getting any titanium from it anymore :(

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been messing around with the last Devastator ability and it seems neat but the gravity pull effect isn't super strong and it also doesn't last very long, so in a lot of cases it just yanks in enemies a bit but it ends so quickly and the range is a bit meh so it doesn't always pull everything in when I want it to. It's real nice for bunching up enemies to easily get the maximum Earthquake armor buff.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Echophonic posted:

I found gravity leap to be a little finicky if enemies have cover. Haven't managed to leap into a doorway.

Impale, though? :getin:

I'm still going down the bottom tree to go hard on Seismic skills, they seem like fun so far.

I got stuck in a wall using gravity leap yesterday! Had to go back to the lobby to get out.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Pushing it to the limit. Should check what it is now with level 41 gear

Is there a lego mod that gives damage based on your armor?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Gravity leap is a must have for me. It's a better dodge and you can regen while you're untargetable. So helpful vs snipers too.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jusupov posted:

Pushing it to the limit. Should check what it is now with level 41 gear

Is there a lego mod that gives damage based on your armor?

Devastator's Warden skill tree has a final perk that gives you 40% of your armor as Firepower and Anomaly Power.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Stanley Pain posted:

Devastator's Warden skill tree has a final perk that gives you 40% of your armor as Firepower and Anomaly Power.

Rip, I'm a twisted firestarter

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

RisqueBarber posted:

Gravity leap is a must have for me. It's a better dodge and you can regen while you're untargetable. So helpful vs snipers too.

Gravity leap is incredible but did get phased out for Tremor eventually. I do miss the leap to get out of the way or move across a map when things are hairy but having 3 pulses from tremor to do damage all around you, heal, and automatically interrupt is super helpful when you're surrounded by baddies.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm level 25 running at WT11 using this. It's been the best for soloing so far compared to the other trees. The Kinetic tree was the most fun though just spamming impale.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RisqueBarber posted:

I'm level 25 running at WT11 using this. It's been the best for soloing so far compared to the other trees. The Kinetic tree was the most fun though just spamming impale.

What? I'm level 30 and only getting into WT8 O_O

Warden has been by far the best tree for me. Can almost have 85% uptime on Golem.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Stanley Pain posted:

What? I'm level 30 and only getting into WT8 O_O

Warden has been by far the best tree for me. Can almost have 85% uptime on Golem.

Level 26 at WT10 :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Got to the end and started running expeditions, which are a lot of fun, Turns out if you need titanium by endgame you can just start selling all your extra blues for scrap and then trade that scrap for titanium, so my anomaly power boost on kill solo minigun build is getting about 5500 per kill, plus 30% for the decay turret, and 50% more for the mines.

Also the icebreaker mod on a automatic weapon works incredibly well.