Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you talk to people who caught it first-run they tend to have strong opinions on it. This may be more of a commentary of what else was on TV in the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

We’re not really meant to see it as a good or innocuous thing though. Like the not-so-hidden subtext of that movie is that the culture is toxic, and that the protagonist, for all his attitude, doesn’t belong there.

Saturday Night Fever? Yeah, that's something I didn't realize until watching the movie a few years back: that it's really a coming-of-age story about Tony outgrowing his toxic environment and clamoring for something more adult. Not that his treatment of Annette was any less sickening, of course.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

Saturday Night Fever was also responsible for removing a lot of the blackness and queerness from disco culture when presenting it in a mainstream context (also it was based on an article that was infamously fictional and drew more from the British writer's own experiences in youth than any actual disco scenes??).

For one such example the actual original disco floors were more democratic with 50 people dancing at once, while in the film everyone's stopping to look at Tony's moves, which already frames the genre away from its democratic roots and something more akin to a rock star image, almost authoritarian and macho.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Who the gently caress is screaming "watch MASH" at my house?

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never been able to enjoy MASH. No you will not convince me that I have to watch certain episodes or seasons, every time I've seen MASH I wished I was watching literally anything else.

Sorry MASHailures.

I pretend I'm a fan of MASH, but I mostly just remember the chicken story episode because it was used as a tragic backstory for a Metal Gear boss.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Pachylad posted:

For one such example the actual original disco floors were more democratic with 50 people dancing at once, while in the film everyone's stopping to look at Tony's moves, which already frames the genre away from its democratic roots and something more akin to a rock star image, almost authoritarian and macho.

I read the article a couple of years ago and to me that was the bit that made it stand out as fake. You could completely buy into the idea of bored disaffected young people living only to party at the weekend, but the whole thing about one guy being king of the club and everyone following his lead read like it was written by someone who had never set foot in a club in his life.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Push El Burrito posted:

Who the gently caress is screaming "watch MASH" at my house?

I was saying "what smash".

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's a male rape scene (off screen) in Ed Wood's The Violent Years and when it appeared on MST3K, Mike & the Bots are way too happy about it.

For some loving reason they made that scene a highlight clip that randomly gets played on the MST3k Twitch channel. :barf:

Edit: I've had it on in the background for noise and literally minutes after I posted this the clip came up again. :cripes:

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Apr 5, 2021

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

HopperUK posted:

One thing I did like about Klinger's cross-dressing was how completely accepting everyone else was of it. It kind of accidentally wraps around to almost being progressive again. Not quite, but almost.

I don't see it as them being accepting, they're ignoring it because they know Klinger's trying to get out of the army on grounds of insanity.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

John Murdoch posted:

For some loving reason they made that scene a highlight clip that randomly gets played on the MST3k Twitch channel. :barf:

Edit: I've had it on in the background for noise and literally minutes after I posted this the clip came up again. :cripes:

still?! wtf. i remember that being there for turkey day 2020, maybe even 2019

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

At least we can all take refuge in the fact that no one will ever try to say that After MASH is good.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Vandar posted:

At least we can all take refuge in the fact that no one will ever try to say that After MASH is good.

What's the thread's opinion on the Monster Mash though?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Asterite34 posted:

It was a graveyard smash.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Vandar posted:

No matter how bad something is, it's the favorite of somebody, somewhere.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MrUnderbridge posted:

I defy you to find someone who has After MASH as their favorite tv sh...

gently caress me I literally JUST got the stupid pun in the name After MASH. :argh:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MrUnderbridge posted:

Every so often I remember that there’s someone out there who’s favorite band is 311 and then I get sad.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

If you talk to people who caught it first-run they tend to have strong opinions on it. This may be more of a commentary of what else was on TV in the 70s.

Having not watched the show one of my favorite things about it was the character in Infinite Jest who watched it and VHS tapes of it religiously and then wrote letters addressed to the characters but mailed to the studio.

Kind of like the kid in Home Alone who says "I know you're not Santa Claus"

*adjusts beard* "what makes you think that?"

"but I also know you work for him."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Asterite34 posted:

Nobody in this thread has ever heard the Monster Mash, they've only ever heard a song about the Monster Mash

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

AfterMASH lasted two seasons

Trapper John, MD lasted seven seasons

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phy posted:

Nobody in this thread has ever heard the Monster Mash, they've only ever heard a song about the Monster Mash

Isn't the Monster Mash a dance? like the Twist.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Phy posted:

"The Monster Mash" is a dance, the song is about monsters DOING the Monster Mash. There is no "The Monster Mash" to hear, other than the song.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

BooDooBoo posted:

"The Monster Mash" is a dance, the song is about monsters DOING the Monster Mash. There is no "The Monster Mash" to hear, other than the song.

quote:

The zombies were having fun (Wa hoo, tennis shoe)
The party had just begun (Wa hoo, tennis shoe)
The guests included Wolfman, Dracula and his son
The scene was rockin', all were digging the sounds
Igor on chains, backed by his baying hounds
The coffin-bangers were about to arrive
With their vocal group, 'The Crypt-Kicker Five'
They played the monster mash
(The monster mash) It was a graveyard smash
(They played the mash) It caught on in a flash
(They played the mash) They played the monster mash

Holy poo poo this never occurred to me before but in the universe of the song, there is actually a song called “The Monster Mash”, and it isn’t necessarily the song we are hearing. It’s basically “Tribute” decades earlier.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrUnderbridge posted:

Remember the GBS thread about the boomer couple eating at the same restaurant every day?. They made an exception to this once a week where they went somewhere else on Saturday for takeaway and then watched "Black Sheep Squadron." There were 36 episodes made of that show made in the 70s.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

It's no Transylvania Twist.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

Remember the GBS thread about the boomer couple eating at the same restaurant every day?. They made an exception to this once a week where they went somewhere else on Saturday for takeaway and then watched "Black Sheep Squadron." There were 36 episodes made of that show made in the 70s.

The fun part is I have been to Texas Roadhouse one time, and it was that one. That was also the time I discovered that was where the local brothel was located behind that Texas Roadhouse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

letthereberock posted:

Holy poo poo this never occurred to me before but in the universe of the song, there is actually a song called “The Monster Mash”, and it isn’t necessarily the song we are hearing. It’s basically “Tribute” decades earlier.

My favourite thing about The Monster Mash is that Bobby Pickett used to introduce it at live gigs by saying "I shall now perform a medley of my hit".

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Iron Crowned posted:

The fun part is I have been to Texas Roadhouse one time, and it was that one. That was also the time I discovered that was where the local brothel was located behind that Texas Roadhouse.

I bet they had some interesting parking lot stories.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

My favourite thing about The Monster Mash is that Bobby Pickett used to introduce it at live gigs by saying "I shall now perform a medley of my hit".

he did try to have other songs, god bless him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSZD45fXTek

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

he did try to have other songs, god bless him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSZD45fXTek

I prefer this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTTZ45IGR8M

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

He tried so hard to have another hit. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc2hEVqPuFw

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HopperUK posted:

I think there was a lot LESS of non-consensual nurse-touching and overt drunkenness as the show went on. can't disagree about the moralising but that's what I mean - I don't think it was *sneering*. I think it was overly earnest and a bit preachy the way Quantum Leap could sometimes be overly earnest. I'm not gonna defend it as politically correct or anything though, it super wasn't, but there was clearly pull from the majority of the cast whose hearts were in the right place.

Quantum Leap you just have to understand that the producers and writers lived through some of the biggest historical times in America and were written by the counter culture/liberal people who came out of that era. For all the sappiness and earnestness it was also very real look into some of the lovely things going on post World War 2 and the hope that we could do better. I think it would be interesting to try to reboot it for a more modern time but the earnestness is part of the charm. Also, I am not sure how much of it was lighting in a bottle with that cast.

Also, I find that Law and Order when done right isn't suppose to age well in the sense we are talking about it. It's supposed to be a snapshot of what is going on at the time in society. That Male rape episode is a good example, Stabler is shown to have a lovely attitude towards it and is called out on it but its also shown to be the attitude of the time. Later seasons of SVU kinda went off the deep end.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mooseontheloose posted:

Quantum Leap you just have to understand that the producers and writers lived through some of the biggest historical times in America and were written by the counter culture/liberal people who came out of that era. For all the sappiness and earnestness it was also very real look into some of the lovely things going on post World War 2 and the hope that we could do better. I think it would be interesting to try to reboot it for a more modern time but the earnestness is part of the charm. Also, I am not sure how much of it was lighting in a bottle with that cast.

Also, I find that Law and Order when done right isn't suppose to age well in the sense we are talking about it. It's supposed to be a snapshot of what is going on at the time in society. That Male rape episode is a good example, Stabler is shown to have a lovely attitude towards it and is called out on it but its also shown to be the attitude of the time. Later seasons of SVU kinda went off the deep end.

As someone who likes Quantum Leap for the most part the writers and producers and such hadn't seen poo poo.

Anyone who makes light of current events for the drama of the past isn't paying attention.

This isn't the calm before the storm this is a congratulatory drink after disembarking the Carpathia.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

Todd in the Shadows introduced me to "Rabian the Fiendage Idol" by him and the chorus alone is one of the best things I've heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qH06vhqk8k

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vandar posted:

I defy you to find someone who has After MASH as their favorite tv sh...

gently caress me I literally JUST got the stupid pun in the name After MASH. :argh:

The show was so bad, I only just realised there was a pun in its name from reading your post just now. That's how low my opinion was of the writers.

Aftermath

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

letthereberock posted:

They were never able to get Dracula and Alucard together again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

L&O is a portrayal of a specific moment in history or culture, you’re absolutely right - and you do have characters being pro or con in general.

The problem is that sometimes the entirety of that specific moment has just aged so badly that the entire concept feels incredibly outdated. Then, the format makes it become really fuckin preachy, like MADD for adults or something.

Like I’m watching the 20th season of the mothership and there’s a big thing in one episode about Van Buren doing medical marijuana to help her out with chemo. “I can’t do that, I’m a cop, I raised you my son better than that” and then she does it anyway and she gets caught by the Chief of Detectives oh no - and he hands her breath mints, gives her a hookup and tells her to make sure she showers before going into work after lighting up. No one actually cares inside the show, and as a policy thing medical marijuana for exactly that use is incredibly common now. But because the show is being so heavy-handed about it it’s only good acting that saves it from being incredibly painful just 11 years later.

You know what else hasn’t aged well? McCoy sleeping with literally all his attractive female assistants. Drop that poo poo (which IS in the court records from that episode Robinette as defense uses it to blow up a case in front of Judge Jamie Ross) and McCoy gets #MeTooed into oblivion.

Even in vanilla, they’re pretty ashamed of going hard right post-9/11 and end up trying to swerve back hard, sending up Arthur Branch as a conservative dinosaur and having an episode where McCoy puts the US government on trial for Abu Ghraib.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Vandar posted:

He tried so hard to have another hit. :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc2hEVqPuFw

Well, now I'm going to spend the rest of the night watching Todd in the Shadows, so thanks. :tipshat:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They were never able to get Dracula and Alucard together again.

Well, that be easy, just show one of them a mirror an-

Oooooooh.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

As someone who likes Quantum Leap for the most part the writers and producers and such hadn't seen poo poo.

Anyone who makes light of current events for the drama of the past isn't paying attention.

This isn't the calm before the storm this is a congratulatory drink after disembarking the Carpathia.

Oh boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jedit posted:

Oh boy.

We Didn't Start the Fire 3.0