Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

PathAsc posted:

Year, Saladin sucks rear end now.

"now"

The Coward Salad has always sucked rear end. He has basically never been right, he just gave us guns + armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I've really enjoyed the conversations developing during battlegrounds. Saladin really has revealed himself as a nob and I'm sad that Zavala is disappointed in US for not being honest about Crow.

I want more story stuff like this. Makes even the repetitive nature of some activities more intriguing. They still really need to get more if the lore front and centre though. The stuff about the Glykon and Katabasis is really good and shouldn't be just tucked away.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is there more content for Glykon beyond the masterwork variant? It feels like there should be more.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Azubah posted:

Is there more content for Glykon beyond the masterwork variant? It feels like there should be more.

I feel like based on the weekly increase in smuggler caches, especially in that they keep opening previously locked doors to smaller areas on the ship there's going to be at minimum a small easter egg on the last week as those caches finally reach the bridge; people have gone OOB to see what's down there and it's at least a bit neat. Everyone probably will see it by the end of the season if they keep up on caches but if you want to know now: the Crown of Sorrow from the season of opulence raid is down there.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
What was the mission in D1 where you have to clear out the mountaintop temple with 600 fallen all over? After you kill the last guy, saladin pops out, fires off a few rounds aimlessly and is all "great teamwork!"

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Just bring back Saladin Vigil and dump Saladin off the peak gently caress yeah

Comedy option: Replace him with Alad V lol

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Majere posted:

What was the mission in D1 where you have to clear out the mountaintop temple with 600 fallen all over? After you kill the last guy, saladin pops out, fires off a few rounds aimlessly and is all "great teamwork!"

I think that's where Sepiks got resurrected because of SIVA

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

PathAsc posted:

Just bring back Saladin Vigil and dump Saladin off the peak gently caress yeah

Comedy option: Replace him with Alad V lol

The cross over we deserve.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

you know Saladin sucks cause he doesn't even have a cool voice line for when you get a 50 kill streak

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hate how in some of the lore they try to play Saladin as old and weary but the dudes literally an ageless demigod get over it

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I hate how in some of the lore they try to play Saladin as old and weary but the dudes literally an ageless demigod get over it

he's sad that his friends are permanently dead because the raspberry dubstep machine made a mistake on how to deal with the idea of his doll-child running around and causing problems in the world

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

That's probably what'll happen, but I'm about to hit the pinnacle grind and having more destiny content after risks distracting me from the trillion other games I have to play. I literally only picked it back up to play VoG again; getting rid of sunsetting and the accompanying philosophy shift makes me willing to engage with it beyond that, but I'm still not looking to do any grinding ever again.

They removed the power grind from future seasons too, so it'll be even less rear end/grindy than before. The philosophy shift and accompanying game mechanic differences are night and day. For example, I can't stand gambit, and being able to do all the gambit challenges in one go is super nice.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

RocketRaygun posted:

They removed the power grind from future seasons too, so it'll be even less rear end/grindy than before. The philosophy shift and accompanying game mechanic differences are night and day. For example, I can't stand gambit, and being able to do all the gambit challenges in one go is super nice.

I meant like gun rolls n ritual weapons n poo poo, I'm looking to raid because raiding is fun. All the changes they've made recently seem very positive. I was pissed as hell when they took away content I had paid for, but if it had been a 100gb+ download instead of 60 I wouldn't have even bothered, so even that has an upside.

I still wish D1 was the base game for foreverdestiny, but that may be rose tinted glasses. Or I may still be pissed about the capes.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

honestly, d1 is kind of bad. there are a lot of decisions they made in that game that are kind of insanely dumb. Most of all was the grind. D1's grind was _insane_... you had to do things like grind xp for your weapon in order to unlock the perks on it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Better than D2Y1's 'every gun is boring'. But yeah, that was bad.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

D1Y1 was extremely grindy, but things got a lot better in Years 2 and 3. By Year 3 the game was a loot shower at times. Like Public Events were actually worth doing.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hours spent grinding helium on the moon ftw

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RocketRaygun posted:

honestly, d1 is kind of bad. there are a lot of decisions they made in that game that are kind of insanely dumb. Most of all was the grind. D1's grind was _insane_... you had to do things like grind xp for your weapon in order to unlock the perks on it.

I never played D1, but there's a lot of times that "gun with talent tree" seemed like a cooler idea to me then "just hope that the right rolls drop eventually."

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I was taking a break from Crucible training yesterday and decided to bum around on the Moon for ongoing quests, and long story short I unlocked the Pit of Heresy. That's one of the big dungeons, isn't it? I've never done one of those so I have no idea if there are any puzzle elements I should be aware of.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Grimthwacker posted:

I was taking a break from Crucible training yesterday and decided to bum around on the Moon for ongoing quests, and long story short I unlocked the Pit of Heresy. That's one of the big dungeons, isn't it? I've never done one of those so I have no idea if there are any puzzle elements I should be aware of.

The encounters are pretty straight forward, but if you have the xenophage quest, the final step takes you on an different path with an alternate boss.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Having started with 2, the more I hear about the first game from its fans, the more it sounds like Stockholm syndrome. And all the series veterans were super pumped for the Cosmodrome, and it turns out to be just a bunch of rusty buildings.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

ponzicar posted:

Having started with 2, the more I hear about the first game from its fans, the more it sounds like Stockholm syndrome. And all the series veterans were super pumped for the Cosmodrome, and it turns out to be just a bunch of rusty buildings.

Bungie didn't bring over the complete Cosmodrome. They brought parts of it over to serve as a newbie area and that's it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mill Village posted:

Bungie didn't bring over the complete Cosmodrome. They brought parts of it over to serve as a newbie area and that's it.

let's not pretend the rest of the cosmodrome is a work of art.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

let's not pretend the rest of the cosmodrome is a work of art.

I'm not trying to praise the Cosmodrome. Bungie had their chance to improve it and they chose not to.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Oxyclean posted:

I never played D1, but there's a lot of times that "gun with talent tree" seemed like a cooler idea to me then "just hope that the right rolls drop eventually."

can't say I disagree with that idea, but it wasn't what was in D1

in D1 it was what we have now, except the perks are disabled by default, and you have to get thousands of exp with them equipped and pay a ton of resources to enable them

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

d1 wasn't that. It was the similar to current, you just had to unlock your perks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

There were a bunch of sweet, completely broken perks in Y1, that they then retroactively removed from guns since they were completely broken.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So Cabal Slug Launchers do more damage to you the higher your framerate is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJe-eomyGuc

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

What is it with bungie and so much poo poo tied to framerate of the client lol.

Someone please explain this to me because every time it comes up all I can think is how inept they are. Is this normal in other games, because I've never had this issue in anything else I play.

Someone, please, I don't understand

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

A lot of games tie things to the framerate. Not a Bungie thing. That's why most console games cap the framerate and then PC ports break when people uncap it. Like Dark Souls first port.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

PathAsc posted:

Someone please explain this to me because every time it comes up all I can think is how inept they are. Is this normal in other games, because I've never had this issue in anything else I play.

I mean, if you’re asking if this bug shows up in other games then yes, it’s not that uncommon. It mostly happens in PC ports of console games, like Vanquish

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Alright then, I had no idea. Appreciate it!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Game engines are pretty screwy at a fundamental level and don't really know what time is. You need something that happens at regular intervals (that the engine can pull from the hardware) to base internal timing loops on.

Consoles tend to work off TV refresh rates or be locked at 30fps, Destiny was originally console only, and Bungie are old school enough to base at least some of the internal timing on that. So I guess when you adjust the frame rate up, there's probably a damage modifier based on a variable referencing a constant that's based on frame rate.

The frame rate was expected to be constant, so if you turn it up, then the thing happens more often and the eventual damage number goes up as a consequence.

I'm just theorising though and it could just as easily be a weird interraction with the physics code.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PathAsc posted:

Tying effects to framerate is pretty standard for console development. It works perfectly fine because you are developing on a more or less fixed hardware setup and I believe runs more efficiently than other options. When console games are ported to PC a lot of things can break due to the variation possible in hardware capability.

A couple examples: in Dark Souls 2 weapons lost durability when hitting walls. Twinblades were weapons that were notorious for having extremely low durability. On a PC running at 60fps or higher if you hit a wall your twinblades would spontaneously disintegrate. I never looked into it but I assume the game counts for frames where the model is intersecting with a wall and deducts durability. So if you're running 120fps your sword is gonna be touching a wall for four times longer than on a console running 30fps.

Another example is FFXIV. For some reason the fall animation is tied to your fps so if you drop your framerate while mid air (alt tabbing works because the game will run reduced framerate when not in focus) it will extend your airtime and allow you to jump on things you shouldn't normally reach. A recent raid has a mechanic where you get suspended in the air and then gently fall down and if your framerate sucks people will be running around hitting things and whatnot before you're even halfway to the ground. Funny enough to everyone else you fall at the same speed so you're actually on the ground but locked out from doing anything on client.

E;fb

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Sounds like someone's never seen the crazy cart antics in Skyrim when your FPS is uncapped :lol:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ponzicar posted:

I think what people most miss about D1 is how good the PvP was. Nearly every map was excellent and there was a lot of them. People would run raids and Nightfall on reset and spend the rest of the week just playing PvP.

Bungie did some cool things back then like actually listening to players as well e.g. when House of Wolves launched they added infusion (best fanbase reaction they've ever had) and the ability to re-roll guns.

The only thing they really messed up (and still do) is ignoring all the cries for a proper horde mode and making all these weird sorta-horde variants instead. The amount of resources that they've wasted on this is insane at this point.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Time to bring out my Arctic Haze with Killing Wind/Thresh again.

https://twitter.com/a_dmg04/status/1379246722858184704?s=21

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I sure hope there's some hidden poo poo in the next week or so to finish out the season. gently caress, put the goddamn outbreak and whisper catalysts in the loot pool, there that's not even any real effort.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

PathAsc posted:

I sure hope there's some hidden poo poo in the next week or so to finish out the season. gently caress, put the goddamn outbreak and whisper catalysts in the loot pool, there that's not even any real effort.

Guardian Games is coming up, fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So Thresh is now a top tier perk in PVP, particularly Warlocks using Nezarec’s Sin with a Void weapon. At 100 Intellect, a whopping 13 seconds is taken off your Super timer with each kill in PVP. I don’t know if this will lead to Year 2 level Super spam, but it’s going to shake up PVP quite a bit.

https://youtu.be/n6d6ovr5sxY