Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

OwlFancier posted:

yes it does and this spoiler needs to be longer because if I just type yes then it will be pretty obvious that would be daft wouldn't it

about how far in? I’m not too worried about getting the story spoiled for me, I just want those gates running. I couldn’t even tell you where I am in the story because I’m speeding through it, other than the academy I’m working with has made it clear they want to reopen all the gates and revitalize the galaxy now...or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What am I supposed to be doing with contacts? Between the general missions that pop up when you’re in comm range of the core worlds, stuff from the Academy, random stuff from bars, and so on, there isn’t exactly a shortage of people saying “hey go do this.” I get that contacts are another source of missions but is there any reason I would want to seek those out in particular? I feel like I’m missing something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

buglord posted:

about how far in? I’m not too worried about getting the story spoiled for me, I just want those gates running. I couldn’t even tell you where I am in the story because I’m speeding through it, other than the academy I’m working with has made it clear they want to reopen all the gates and revitalize the galaxy now...or something

literally the end of the current story content unfortunately, though where that coincides with your game progression is dependent on how much you focus on the plot, it is 95% just flying around clicking on things so you can probably do it quite early if you were so inclined.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

What am I supposed to be doing with contacts? Between the general missions that pop up when you’re in comm range of the core worlds, stuff from the Academy, random stuff from bars, and so on, there isn’t exactly a shortage of people saying “hey go do this.” I get that contacts are another source of missions but is there any reason I would want to seek those out in particular? I feel like I’m missing something.

Contacts allow you to get specific mission types depending on the type of contact and I believe their importance also affects how difficult and well paying the missions are.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

OwlFancier posted:

literally the end of the current story content unfortunately, though where that coincides with your game progression is dependent on how much you focus on the plot, it is 95% just flying around clicking on things so you can probably do it quite early if you were so inclined.

Oh is that the very end, then? Shame. I just got there and was coming in here to ask if there was any more. Well, guess I'm done for now. How's this game with save compatibility with new updates? Though i'm kidding myself, i'd almost definitely restart anyway.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Also am I correct in assuming that the core worlds are the only non-randomized systems? Everything outside of it is randomized? Seems like this time around, the habitable terran/jungle/water worlds are as far as humanly possible from the core.

I might just restart my run and throw in a few mods.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Core is static, everything else is random yes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Bold Robot posted:

It's basically just a guaranteed mission type, as well as a chance for other offers, for that particular faction and contact type that you can get. For example, I have a high importance Diktat contact and a very high importance Hegemony contact, both military, which means that I'm guaranteed an offer of 3 bounties per faction if I don't feel that any of the open-offer bounties are up to my taste, which is nice. It's also nice that it somewhat curates what other things they offer. Since my contacts are military, they 100% offer a bounty choice, but they'll usually have 2 other offers available that are usually alternative mission types (like extract or deploy spysat) but they've also repeatedly offer cheap milsurp ships to me, fairly frequently in-fact, and once I got an offer for some custom production on the Diktat's nanoforge for 0% markup (I've never seen a bar offer without markup).

TL;DR: It allows you to curate your mission experience instead of it being totally random like bars

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
in the discord I see lots of upcoming ships for various custom factions, many are extremely anime

then I see the poster's anime avatar and I'm like "oh yeah that makes sense actually"

i don't judge, but its def a style

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

They're great for when you want to focus on improving relations with a specific faction.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

someone should mod this so it's just a total conversion for UC Gundam set entirely in the solar system.

let me fight with space robots

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Sankis posted:

someone should mod this so it's just a total conversion for UC Gundam set entirely in the solar system

I think this was literally in the works but IBO instead of UC

Diable Avionics and Tahlan Shipworks both got some good robit for ya tho

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Sankis posted:

someone should mod this so it's just a total conversion for UC Gundam set entirely in the solar system.

let me fight with space robots

Diable Avionics has totally not Gundams. You can only pilot them using the gust's ship system, I think, though.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

in the discord I see lots of upcoming ships for various custom factions, many are extremely anime

then I see the poster's anime avatar and I'm like "oh yeah that makes sense actually"

If they're part of a game modding community, I'm already judging.

I enjoy the free content and all, but those people should all be on some kind of watch list.

All it takes is for that energy to be channeled into something else and poo poo is about to go down.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

what

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Rozenritter mechs and ships and Diable Avionics in matching livery, sprinkle Arma Armatura on top, ready to conquer the sector in style
Edit: now that I think about it for more than a few seconds, the wolfpack skill could work very interestingly with the Rozenritter mechs since those are Destroyer sized and only held back by needing officers

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

WarpedLichen posted:

I enjoy the free content and all, but those people should all be on some kind of watch list.

All it takes is for that energy to be channeled into something else and poo poo is about to go down.

Have a little chill, man. drat.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

WarpedLichen posted:

lmbo yes

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Edit: now that I think about it for more than a few seconds, the wolfpack skill could work very interestingly with the Rozenritter mechs since those are Destroyer sized and only held back by needing officers

First thing I tried when Tahlan updated. It's really good.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

BULBASAUR posted:

Is it possible for a ship to have spikey hair?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Diable Avionics robotech stuff is insanely cool and tastefully done, imo

Travic posted:

the things i've seen....

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

BULBASAUR posted:

the things i've seen....

Have you seen the 'Murica ship yet?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Travic posted:

ApproLight certainly makes an admirable effort at this. I feel like I need a tetanus shot just looking at some of their hull designs.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Speaking of which, is the discord down? I can only see two #captcha channels. I guess it's possible I'm banned but I've also never posted

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Are there instructions in the captcha channels? The discord looks as usual to me.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Are there instructions in the captcha channels? The discord looks as usual to me.

Ahh poo poo, yeah that was it thanks. I couldn't see any messages in one of them so I didn't bother to check the other one especially since it had been working fine up till today

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

The Chad Jihad posted:

Speaking of which, is the discord down? I can only see two #captcha channels. I guess it's possible I'm banned but I've also never posted

The Chad Jihad posted:

Ahh poo poo, yeah that was it thanks. I couldn't see any messages in one of them so I didn't bother to check the other one especially since it had been working fine up till today

If you run into some problem PM me or one of the other discord mods and we'll get you sorted out. Some *channer has been trying to solo raid the discord for the last literally nine hours so security's been stepped up a little bit.

It's actually sort of funny, normally people would charge money for what amounts to pentesting but he's doing it for free :allears:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Travic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf3TkVBI6Xg

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Vayra posted:

If you run into some problem PM me or one of the other discord mods and we'll get you sorted out. Some *channer has been trying to solo raid the discord for the last literally nine hours so security's been stepped up a little bit.

It's actually sort of funny, normally people would charge money for what amounts to pentesting but he's doing it for free :allears:

Lol any idea what set them off?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

BULBASAUR posted:

They really complement battlestar-type ships since they generally have low top speeds, but good staying power and damage for reasonable OP.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Xand_Man posted:

Those types don't really need a reason

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Xand_Man posted:

Moderation exists

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

They should have sent a poet...

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I will also stick up for the Starsector discord. They don't fence the weebs and furries into their own little preserves like Something Awful, but that's just par for the course if you're anywhere else on the internet. They sure aren't abiding Nazis or allowing the other kinds of toxic behavior you worry about on the open internet.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Voyager I posted:

They don't fence the weebs and furries into their own little preserves like Something Awful.

You say this like it's a bad thing that they don't do that. As someone who contributed to the furry portrait pack, I'm glad the community doesn't segregate and ostracize like that.

Voyager I posted:

They sure aren't abiding Nazis or allowing the other kinds of toxic behavior you worry about on the open internet.

This, also, is extremely cool of them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm pretty medium on weebs and furries myself, but mostly I was just pointing that out because a lot of goons do the internet equivalent of locking the car windows when they see an anime avatar in the wild.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I mean there’s still no mod to let you convert harvested organs into supplies yet so it’s got plenty of airtime over the bar most other active mod scenes set.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Kitfox88 posted:

I mean there’s still no mod to let you convert harvested organs into supplies yet so it’s got plenty of airtime over the bar most other active mod scenes set.

That prisoner capture mod lets you "harvest" the crew and officers you capture if you decide you don't want hostages, political prisoners, or slaves. You get units of transplantable organs and units of food when you "harvest" your hostages.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm still new to the discord, but I can vouch for what I've seen. Its been good so far and the mod scene is really active. Most people are kind and helpful. Also surprised to see how many of the moders are goons.

Vengarr posted:

They really complement battlestar-type ships since they generally have low top speeds, but good staying power and damage for reasonable OP.

I love them, honestly. Running them on other combat carrier type ships (esp with their special hull mod) carried my last playthrough. Like you said, they work well to guard your own fleet, act as PD, and also gang up on anything they can catch if you have enough of them.

John_A_Tallon posted:

That prisoner capture mod lets you "harvest" the crew and officers you capture if you decide you don't want hostages, political prisoners, or slaves. You get units of transplantable organs and units of food when you "harvest" your hostages.

Unironically I want to plug into this somehow once I get fleet morale working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WarpedLichen posted:

Please refrain from this kind of comment, even if you're just joking. It's pretty close to the "no equating liking anime with being a pedophile" rule.