Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I just assume Drew is a true believer because cults have true believers. And let's be honest, of course "you just have to work harder and overcome the next obstacle" works on pro-wrestlers. Even when they're not in the WWE cult they're surrounded by a culture that sells that message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
people genuinely thought moxley was outright retiring when he left; I don't really trust anything people say in interviews when they're in the wwe as truly representative of how they feel about working there

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Although I think a lot of them do genuinely have these kinds of attitudes when they are there, because it has been indoctrinated into them and it takes awhile to shake it off. Like every person who leaves WWE seems to go through this interview/public statement cycle of "I'll always be thankful to WWE for all the great times and opportunities they gave me, but it was just time for me to try and find my own way" to "okay, actually let me tell you about these few tiny itty bitty things that bothered me a little, but I'm still grateful to them and have nothing but respect" to "okay, that place is turbofucked and I feel like I can breathe for the first time in years..."

I love that Mox skipped all the bullshit in his Jericho interview and got right to the point.

"I appreciate my time in the WWE, I met my wife there and I got a lot of opportunities, now let me spend the next hour ensuring that I piss off everyone there and never get hired by them again."

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

I love that Mox skipped all the bullshit in his Jericho interview and got right to the point.

"I appreciate my time in the WWE, I met my wife there and I got a lot of opportunities, now let me spend the next hour ensuring that I piss off everyone there and never get hired by them again."

Agreed. CM Punk tends to come off as a prick so when he took to Cabana’s cast many were blew him off but Mox? Everyone loved Mox. At home, backstage, out and about... Mox came off asa decent guy. When he went off on how toxic and parasitic wwe was, only the biggest cops or cultists defended Vince and co. Drew’s interview just seems typical wwe superstar copy and paste: work hard and grab that ring. Total BS and a little disappointing but I can see why he would be pressured to say it. Still... as much poo poo as Drew went through I would rather be just not say anything. Saying crap like that just keeps saying encouraging people who don’t know better to get involved. I mean, if I was a part of that Hollywood 00s sex cult or Scientology and I didn’t warn people off then the internet would be be correct in saying I helped harm others and I was a jerk. Keeping your head down to feed yourself is one thing but doing PR work for your own profit IS still going along and being a part of the problem. “Just following orders” should not be a valid defence. The allies famously marched German townspeople through nearby camps post ww2 because the allies felt they shared some responsibility in what happened. I’m not saying the wwe are nazis but don’t let everyone completely off the hook just because they aren’t Vince or Dunn; or at least the ones that keep reupping. Not calling for cleansing pyres or anything dramatic but I reserve the right to sigh or roll my eyes at them if they whine about the evil corp after signing a new contract.

Still a bit salty about how wwe did Brodie Lee.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Eat My Fuc posted:

Whatever Riddle is doing is so disconnected from the reality we all reside in. It's not a character based on what's happening in culture, it's not him turned up to 11, it's not even a character it's a bizarre mad lib of disparate ideas, fused together, welded by the burning synapses of Vince's demented mind.

matt riddle was one of those flashing neon sign "vince would have no idea what to make of this loving guy" signings but i don't think anyone in the WORLD could have predicted whatever his... thing is

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Vince: "Wow! RVD looks way different now!"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Destroy My Sweater posted:

"Greetings, Mr. Mullen. This is a message from Apollo Crews, Nigerian royalty..."

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Apart from the classic matches I would say the best thing on the network is probably the broken skull sessions. Austin seems like such an affable guy with great stories, but he can also get great stuff out of his guests. The Flair interview is good, I like hearing stories about the territory days. The Jericho interview should be good too.

I'm probably going to find out something terrible about Austin now aren't I. That's been basically my whole experience w WWE since I got back into it all this year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

gh0stpinballa posted:

Apart from the classic matches I would say the best thing on the network is probably the broken skull sessions. Austin seems like such an affable guy with great stories, but he can also get great stuff out of his guests. The Flair interview is good, I like hearing stories about the territory days. The Jericho interview should be good too.

I'm probably going to find out something terrible about Austin now aren't I. That's been basically my whole experience w WWE since I got back into it all this year.

He beat his wife back in the day.

It's important to come to terms with the fact an awful lot of people in wrestling are the worst.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

loving hell.

Edit: Mick Foley is still cool tho right? He seems to have decent politics and just generally seems to be a nice guy, don't tell me the Mickster is bad.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 6, 2021

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

gh0stpinballa posted:

loving hell.

Edit: Mick Foley is still cool tho right? He seems to have decent politics and just generally seems to be a nice guy, don't tell me the Mickster is bad.

As far as I know Foley is as clean as they come

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
He once beat up a fellow wrestler in a boiler room

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Mick Foley assaulted Jim Ross once

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

forkboy84 posted:

He beat his wife back in the day.

It's important to come to terms with the fact an awful lot of people in wrestling are the worst.

To be clear, he beat his wife (Debra Marshall) repeatedly and then beat his next girlfriend too.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

What?

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
they called him the literally accused texas rattlesnake

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
We’ve come a long way from filling cars with cement.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

gh0stpinballa posted:

loving hell.

Foley is good yes, a little too fond of Melina but everything points to him being a good dude that everyone likes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Too bad they broke up 3MB cause I’d love to see Drew grab the brass ring with that gimmick again.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Out for a walk tonight and saw this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Looks like a goddamn magician illusionist

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

gently caress that bootstraps poo poo from Drew; how the gently caress are people like Black, Andrade or Murphy supposed to get over and be properly used when they get banished to catering? Murphy was given a lovely storyline with the Mysterio's, didn't get over and is now back to just being a random goon. He was better off being one of the dubstep cowboys with Blake.

And then the people from squaredcircle just go "well he's right, they clearly don't want it enough" and then get up in arms whenever there's an interview from a former WWE talent talking about how toxic the locker room is there.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pylons posted:

He'd be a fun manager for the Varsity Blonds but I wouldn't give him a multi-million dollar contract for it.

:allears:

Holy poo poo, that would be perfect, you are correct that it would not be worth the money. But I'm sure "regular on-screen character Steve loving Austin" would open a lot of doors for TV deals and the like.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

explosivo posted:

Looks like a goddamn magician illusionist

What's the difference?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

karmicknight posted:

:allears:

Holy poo poo, that would be perfect, you are correct that it would not be worth the money. But I'm sure "regular on-screen character Steve loving Austin" would open a lot of doors for TV deals and the like.

A new age Stud Stable managed by Stone Cold/Stunning/Superstar Steve Austin.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
WHATS FANG MCFROST DOING IN THE DYNAMITE ZONE?!?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I think it was The Ringmaster Chilly McFreeze

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

karmicknight posted:

BPJ described wanting stone cold to be like, an old coach with a whistle and sweat pants, yelling about like 'drop and give me twenty!' jump jacks and that whole trope.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

BPJ described wanting stone cold to be like, an old coach with a whistle and sweat pants, yelling about like 'drop and give me twenty!' jump jacks and that whole trope.

Brian Pillman Jr is also an idiot.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/AliWWE/status/1379260674786922502?s=20

Just lol

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

When he said “Next year, you’re mine” he meant a seat in catering.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
the wwe seems like a fun place to work

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s Ali’s time now next year

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
tbh I'd rather watch 500 hours of Ali than 1 hour of Baron Wrestling Poison

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
I watched the match so you didn't have to.

It was ok. The fact that the match happened, on the other hand...

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Not giving the night 2 main event to Sasha and Bianca is a crime and loving dumb

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

gh0stpinballa posted:

loving hell.

He single-handedly caused pro wrestling fans to be the largest group of donors for RAINN, the largest anti-sexual violence organization in America

That's rad.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Do the work, Ali. Gotta do the work.

karmicknight posted:

Brian Pillman Jr is also an idiot.
There's a bit in the interview where Aubrey is like "it's so unusual for wrestlers to have a degree" when speaking to Griff and BPJ is like "hey wait a minute... I have a degree!"

Like, I think he forgot for a bit there.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The reason the "just try harder" thing is especially irksome to me is Bayley. Bayley can work. Bayley can promo. She's been face and heel and been the very best at it. Her and Sasha were legitimate TV draws on Smackdown. Pandemic-era Smackdown at that. Not Roman. Not Charlotte (who was death to NXT TV). Not The Fiend. Bayley and Sasha. Sasha? Headlining Wrestlemania probably in the main of Night 1. Bayley? loving nothing. So there you go, Drew. You have a talent who worked at their very best and accomplished literally the ONE thing wrestlers are supposed to be doing right now: draw eyes to the product. Her reward? Nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

whenever any wwe wrestler lets tough guy wwe pride gaslight them into believing they aren't worth being allowed more "yet" it is so harshly off-putting that i don't want to see them figure it out. go on then buddy. enjoy. these toxic feelings are not my fault however. it's the fault of wwe. they are directly responsible for me being a worse person and there is simply nothing to be done about it. i'm technically not worse at all