Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince

I figured I'd catch up on this thread and fuuuckkkk I can't believe I missed brain candy! I loved that movie. Man I really wish I could be relied upon for anything because I would love to watch movies with the byob av club, but alas I am flaky AF. One day I hope to watch movies with you buds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous

Finger Prince posted:

I figured I'd catch up on this thread and fuuuckkkk I can't believe I missed brain candy! I loved that movie. Man I really wish I could be relied upon for anything because I would love to watch movies with the byob av club, but alas I am flaky AF. One day I hope to watch movies with you buds.

i believe you will some day, i believe in you!

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Escape From Noise

It's made from monkey cum you know!

Heather Papps

hello friend

hello movie watchers, it's a new month, can you believe it? the last one flew by terribly fast. we visited a bunch of different nations, learned about the proud history of druid martial arts, the boring tale of the "great" gold swindle, and more than we needed to about serial killers!

we learned about singam, a near mythical godly lion avatar who has, and this counts a single film still in production loving 11 MOVIES made about him. also, a children's cartoon.

there were subtitle struggles and i had to watch a man and woman trade an unbroken egg yolk from mouth to mouth, and i didn't even mind the rest of tampopo was so good.

this is a long way of saying the month has turned, and to remind everyone that the theme for this month is "shorts and suggestions." every republic serial has been fantastic and watching one in totality in a night was something folk seemed interested in, and we've accumulated a good amount of suggestions as well. i'm going to go back thru the thread and discord to harvest a pick for tonight, and will post the main post pretty soon i bet.

anyways, wow. 11 loving singam films. incredible.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

tonight!
http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies
4:00ish PM PST/ 7:00ish PM EST/ Midnightish GMT
as suggested by escape from noise, we'll be watching,

i do not know a lot about it but it seems pretty interesting!

stop by at 6:30 to watch the penultimate episode of the mysterious dr satan!

we'll be starting at 6:30 sharp so we can watch the ULTIMATE episode of dr satan post main feature. (the episode is 15 minutes long which is why the main event is whatever o'clock "ish"(scheduling something for 6:45 just seems weird to me))

join us!

e:OH YEAH i know we have the discord but uh i am not confidant in setting up streaming thru that platform yet so we are still on PSP for now.

Heather Papps fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 3, 2021

Papa Was A Video Toaster

There's a discord?

Heather Papps

hello friend

TVsVeryOwn posted:

There's a discord?

https://discord.gg/sbeBpuwh

mostly so we can get to a point where people host films from their own library. psp tv rules but being limited to what is available on youtube very much limits what we can watch.

i guess we did discover last week that vimeo works so that's a thing.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

It's not limited to what's on YouTube, you can use OBS to stream via another service, but, it is also kind of an operation to set it up.

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Teddy Thunders posted:

It's not limited to what's on YouTube, you can use OBS to stream via another service, but, it is also kind of an operation to set it up.

Oooo. I like setting up junk like that

hbag

i wonder if anyone has thought of setting up a byob plex server to host movies on
i got my own plex server but its very small (250GB) and mostly used for tv

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I like the spartan feel of the current service as well as not needing a separate account just for BYOB Movie Night, but I realize it has limitations.

Escape From Noise

Man these keep starting earlier. I didn't actually sleep so I should have gotten out of bed

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Prof. Crocodile

TVVO set up the junk!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Bright Bart posted:

I like the spartan feel of the current service as well as not needing a separate account just for BYOB Movie Night, but I realize it has limitations.

i agree. i also kind of enjoy the structure of "find something on youtube" but uh yeah, for people to host their own films it doesn't really function. i have a feeling we may end up waffling back and forth depending on what's going on

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Hello all! Is there any interest in having an "Argentine Tango" themed movie night?

The feature could be El Dia Que Me Quieras: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A5ScVktThc

This is a 1935 American-Argentinean musical distributed by Paramount. The plot is kind of a generic screwball comedy, but the music by Carlos Gardel is phenomenal. (In addition to composing the score, Gardel acts as the main character in the film.)

I can pick fun tango-themed shorts to go before and after the movie! And maybe I'd record a short "bat masterson" style vid to explain what is happening for those who may not know much about tango or Argentina!

I realize this is a bit different from the typical offerings, so it's up to you all

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Heather Papps

hello friend

blaise rascal posted:

I realize this is a bit different from the typical offerings, so it's up to you all

i have a feeling the answer is going to be a resounding chorus of yes's. is there a wednesday or saturday this month that is ideal?

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I love foreign films and screwball comedies so if there's a Wednesday you can run that (I'm much more likely to show up Wednesday than Saturday) I'd be down.

Prof. Crocodile

blaise rascal posted:

Hello all! Is there any interest in having an "Argentine Tango" themed movie night?

The feature could be El Dia Que Me Quieras: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A5ScVktThc

This is a 1935 American-Argentinean musical distributed by Paramount. The plot is kind of a generic screwball comedy, but the music by Carlos Gardel is phenomenal. (In addition to composing the score, Gardel acts as the main character in the film.)

I can pick fun tango-themed shorts to go before and after the movie! And maybe I'd record a short "bat masterson" style vid to explain what is happening for those who may not know much about tango or Argentina!

this sounds like the perfect theme for byob movie night. not sure about coupons and deals though... they probably reject all forms of joyous expression.

Bright Bart

Argentina fascinates me so much! It's not just a microcosm of the world but a world unto itself.

Definitely a cool idea. Especially if a screwball comedy also teaches me something.

blaise rascal

Heather Papps posted:

i have a feeling the answer is going to be a resounding chorus of yes's. is there a wednesday or saturday this month that is ideal?
Any time this month works! Hmm, maybe a Wednesday would work better for Leraika?

Maybe my plan will be to have four parts:
1. A half hour or so of some of my favorite tango music, for people to trickle in
2. The feature film
3. My short video where I discuss the film and explain a bit about tango
4. A few short films that are thematically relevant

Should I factor in time for a short like Dr. Satan?

Leraika posted:

I love foreign films and screwball comedies so if there's a Wednesday you can run that (I'm much more likely to show up Wednesday than Saturday) I'd be down.
Unfortunately, I feel like this movie is only kind of foreign, and only kind of comedic. But I do think that the music makes up for it!

Bright Bart posted:

Argentina fascinates me so much! It's not just a microcosm of the world but a world unto itself.
Yes, I think this is a good way of describing Argentina. I mean, I know a decent amount about tango, but even still, I feel like I have hardly begun to understand Argentina. During Trashed Crew Movie Night, everyone was gushing about Borges, and I admit to having never read anything by him. There is so much to Argentina, it's mind-boggling!

Heather Papps

hello friend

blaise rascal posted:

Any time this month works! Hmm, maybe a Wednesday would work better for Leraika?

Maybe my plan will be to have four parts:
1. A half hour or so of some of my favorite tango music, for people to trickle in
2. The feature film
3. My short video where I discuss the film and explain a bit about tango
4. A few short films that are thematically relevant

Should I factor in time for a short like Dr. Satan?

this sounds excellent! dr satan finished last saturday, and my thoughts were watching a complete serial on nights without suggestions and the nights with suggestions letting folk curate the whole evening, or just having everyone plug in short vids.

i would tentatively say wednesday the 14th? if that works for you it's yours, (also any other wednesday, or even saturday but i want as many people as possible to be able to attend)

blaise rascal

Heather Papps posted:

this sounds excellent! dr satan finished last saturday, and my thoughts were watching a complete serial on nights without suggestions and the nights with suggestions letting folk curate the whole evening, or just having everyone plug in short vids.

i would tentatively say wednesday the 14th? if that works for you it's yours, (also any other wednesday, or even saturday but i want as many people as possible to be able to attend)
i believe the 14th will work out great! i'll plan on it.

also, just gonna crosspost this from the welcome hello and chat thread:

Escape From Noise posted:

I think about this excerpt from the Wikipedia page on Thomas Kinkade a lot...

Thomas Kinkade Wikipedia Page posted:

A self-produced movie about Kinkade, Thomas Kinkade's Christmas Cottage, was released on DVD in late November 2008. The semi-autobiographical story looks at the motivation and inspiration behind his most popular painting, The Christmas Cottage. Jared Padalecki plays Kinkade and Marcia Gay Harden plays his mother. Peter O'Toole plays young Kinkade's mentor, who tells him, "Paint the light, Thomas! Paint the light!."
I just found it on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZbTL_QIOhI
would a movie this foul be too bad even for c&d movie night???

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I will tell you that if we do the kincade movie even on a Wednesday I will be trashed to high hell, in direct tribute to Thomas Kincade, who once got a DUI and in commission off getting a DUI he pissed on a statue in his home town.

He was actually a bad man lol

Escape From Noise

Teddy Thunders posted:

I will tell you that if we do the kincade movie even on a Wednesday I will be trashed to high hell, in direct tribute to Thomas Kincade, who once got a DUI and in commission off getting a DUI he pissed on a statue in his home town.

He was actually a bad man lol

Oh yeah. He was supposed to be a real jerk. That quote just kills me every time.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Escape From Noise posted:

Oh yeah. He was supposed to be a real jerk. That quote just kills me every time.

PAINT THE LIGHT, THOMAS
PAINT IT WITH YOUR PISS

Pigsfeet on Rye

I'm meat on the hoof

blaise rascal posted:

also, just gonna crosspost this from the welcome hello and chat thread:

Years ago, Photoshop Phriday did some wild parodies of his work.

Heather Papps

hello friend

blaise rascal posted:

excellent!

quote:

unfortunately this particular copy is blocked in canada. i did some digging for another copy to no avail, i am bummed because it looks painful.

i have a weird film bios suggested in my back pocket tho', i'll find some posters and make a post!

Heather Papps

hello friend

tonight!
http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies
4:00 PM PST/ 7:00 PM EST/ Midnight GMT

space milkshake?

space milkshake. suggested by everyone's favourite dragon requester, bios!

don't know anything about this one, but it is interesting to have billy boyd in a role that would make sense pre-lotr. also the production house is called joker films so you just know this is going to be quality.

we'll be starting actually at 7 est with the film. fun fact, 15 episodes of a serial ends up being like... 3 and a half hours. gonna have to split tiger woman or manhunt of mystery island into a two night thing. i having been digging through wikipedias list of serials and have a few i think would be pretty good, but i still have a bit more research to do before landing on one.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Quick question is the milkshake in the title in reference to the duck? Asking for a friend just in case the duck is racist.

biosterous

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Heather Papps

hello friend

Teddy Thunders posted:

Quick question is the milkshake in the title in reference to the duck? Asking for a friend just in case the duck is racist.

i will buy an av cert or send 5 dollars thru paypal to someone who can answer this question definitively.

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
milkshake duck was a 2016 invention, apparently, the more you know

Prof. Crocodile

the duck was a racist, yes.

Bright Bart

All ducks are kind of racist but it's not really intentional and often just the way they were raised.

fps_nug

horsing around no longer
really upset I missed this one! produced very close to me

Escape From Noise

Teddy Thunders posted:

PAINT THE LIGHT, THOMAS
PAINT IT WITH YOUR PISS

PISS THE LIGHT, THOMAS! PISS THE LIGHT!

Bright Bart

So after Saturday's main feature we played a short from a series of modernized Polish legends. Think Romeo + Juliet (1996) except brought even further into the future. Based on the positive reception to the one we watched I am posting the full series here:

SMOK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J_Y12RqeLM
The dragon of Krakow's Wawel Hill terrorizes the city and a young man is the last line of defence. By dragon, I mean a VTOL with machine guns piloted by a muscled (possibly Russian) Dolf Lundgren who kidnaps local women. Cute robotic dogs, girls in summer outfits, and one brave trumpeter are all included. This is the one we watched on Saturday.

Basilisk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS2xTGLCu-M
As the name suggests, in this tale a vacationing knight finds that he must defeat a monstrous creature turning people into stone in order to save the damsel. His sidekick is basically Falstaff, and there may or may not be an environmentalist undertext.

Pan Twardowski
Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRdYz8cnOW4
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-skpeuYmfE
The best of the series in my opinion and presumably of those who got me into the series by showing me the first part a few years back. Our (anti-?)hero is Faustus, but he has a Polish surname and a rocket ship. Having made a deal to receive great knowledge and power in return for his soul to be collected later at a specific place named in the contract, Sir Twardowski now hides on the moon, as far away from the named Earthly place as he can get. The forces of the pentagram aren't too pleased and come visit him but find that completing the bargain with the man they made into a wily genius won't be easy.

If we watch a single other video from the series, Part 1 of Pan Twardowski is the choice hands down!!

Jaga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKbuFYd468w
Here we find a pretty young woman to be more than she first appears, and also having a troubled history with Satan. The last film in the series and honestly a bit of a let-down as it ends on a cliffhanger and is less light-hearted than the rest. Still the effects are very cool. Can be watched for completeness but I recommend the above two titles first.

**Bonus: Fallen Art**
Not part of the series but made by the director of SMOK, this short won a BAFTA award. From the Wikipedia summary: "Fallen Art presents the story of General Al, a self-proclaimed artist. His art, however, consists of a deranged method of stop motion photography, where the individual frames of the movie are created by photographs made by Dr. Johann Friedrich, depicting the bodies of dead soldiers, pushed down by Sergeant Al from a giant springboard onto a slab of concrete."

**Double Bonus: Ambition**
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H08tGjXNHO4
This short is also by the same director, who is involved with the Witcher game and Netflix series. 'Master' is played by Littlefinger from Game of Thrones and he watches 'Apprentice' demonstrate what she's learned. Of nanotechnology. While on Mars. Although it didn't get the same reception as Fallen Art the visuals are cool and we see a lot of the effects that characterize "magic" in modern hits.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 8, 2021

Finger Prince

That's pretty cool but did you know Double Team dubbed into Hindi is available free on YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo0-85U2jfA

fps_nug

horsing around no longer
this deffo doesnt seem like movie night material but I wanted to share it somehow because its just really weird. theres some slight flashing lights but idk if its photosensitive warning worthy. word of caution I guess. it's a found vhs thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-x_JtsdCvA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fps_nug

horsing around no longer
it just gets weirded by the second story btw so it's worth investing a bit of time in

fps_nug fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 9, 2021