Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Verviticus posted:

did they restrict parrying to a small set of weapons in this game from ds2? in ds2 i could parry with a lot of stuff 2h but in this i dont seem to be able to

Only some of the shields parry, others either allow you to use your weapon art without two-handing the weapon or do a shield rush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Thumbtacks posted:

Can you not parry with ultra greatswords anymore? I thought a few of them had absurdly long parries that were basically impossible to land but theoretically doable
that's ds2, like I said

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
dang, between bonfire ascetics and 2h parry i think im gonna hold off on my ds3 run for a bit

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oooh how does this Crystal Sage's rapier stack up as far as weapons for my assassin sorceror? Should I get that with the Crystal Sage soul or Crystal Hail?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

oooh how does this Crystal Sage's rapier stack up as far as weapons for my assassin sorceror? Should I get that with the Crystal Sage soul or Crystal Hail?

crystal sage rapier is a trash weapon but does grant item discovery to aid with farming. crystal hail isn't useless but also isn't top-tier.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Ah, boo. Guess I'll keep truckin with this uchigatana +2

e: the irithyll straight sword looks nice too. Is it also a noob trap?

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 6, 2021

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Small update - I surely missed out a ton of stuff, my Great Mace just caved two princes' heads in at the same time. Now what's this kiln? Oh wait, it's like the firelink shrine... oh god what happened to Lothric Castle. Oh god.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Ah, boo. Guess I'll keep truckin with this uchigatana +2

e: the irithyll straight sword looks nice too. Is it also a noob trap?

Irithyll straight sword is kind of a noob weapon but with good reason. High base damage, frostbite is strong. It is not better than other straight swords in the long run (look for the Lothric sword from the knights in High Wall if you want that). But it will get you far enough into the game that you can get something as good or better. It’s not a trap option

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Thanks!

thanks to DS1's drake sword I'm always suspicious of new weapons now especially if they seem like they're high damage at first

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Is there a Weapon Art that lets me do the cool spinning leaping slash the skeletons in Carthus do?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There should be plenty of weapon arts with fancy flip spins, I'm not a dex guy usually so I don't know offhand tho. Maybe the Follower Saber?

Verviticus posted:

dang, between bonfire ascetics and 2h parry i think im gonna hold off on my ds3 run for a bit
I think you and Thumbtacks are the only people I've ever seen even acknowledge the 2h parry exists, let alone be excited to use it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i did my entire run as 2h so i dunno i wanted to parry stuff sometimes especially invaders

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Don't get me wrong, I'm honestly impressed

As someone mentioned, there's one UGS in DS3 that gives you a dagger offhand to parry (and a... different...L1), otherwise you just gotta go Triangle/Y into L2 into twohand again to parry.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Reality Protester posted:

Is there a Weapon Art that lets me do the cool spinning leaping slash the skeletons in Carthus do?

Yes there are several

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Man I sure love this jump in the tower with the Estus Ring (I’m guessing most of you know the one). The best part is a loading fog wall after every fuckup!

Edit: gently caress it, maybe if I knew it was a +10 Holy Moonlight Sword or something I’d bother, I hope it’s nothing too indispensable

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 6, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Don't jump, just run off the edge at the highest glowy thing. Jumping bounces you off the wall.

Also, the Follower's sabre has a cool double spin, but not like Carthus skeletons, unfortunately.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I found if you turn around so you’re facing backwards to the glowy item and back step you’ll land just on the edge.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Thumbtacks posted:

Might finally give Cinders a try. Looks pretty neat. I don't even remember the last time I played dark souls, i'm going to prepare to die quite a bit

i usually play meme builds, i think my first full playthrough was only fists and one of my favorite ones ever was bow only. cinders seems like it adds SO much stuff, i feel like it's a bad idea to focus on a specific thing and not just go with a general build. or just do it anyway and enjoy the new content while i fist things forever

what's your favorite cinders weapon setup?

Cinders changes so fast that almost all suggestions are going to be out of date. The latest play test build removes weapon upgrades entirely, though, so you only need to pick a build and can try out just about anything. There are tons of cool weapons in cinders, so any build focusing mainly on one damage stat (hybrids and quality may not work very well) will be good.

Cinders is traditionally all about caster supremacy, so int, faith, pyro and dark will all have tons of great options. I find int builds focused on utility sorceries lots of fun, so something like blue flame or golden ritual spear with crystal ring shield and spells like shockwave, spook, and pestilential mist gives you tons of (cheesy but fun) options. There’s a new dagger for int that’s been recently added that has a bonkers move set (unique L1 attacks and a stance with 3 different moves) but it’s locked behind an optional super boss that some people are saying is pretty unfair.

Firearms have recently been added and are mostly strength or dex focused, so that could be something to check out if magic isn’t your thing.

There’s the king’s quarterstaff, another now weapon with a very diverse, crazy move set, that’s dex scaling. It requires some faith, but I don’t know if any of its crazy moves scale with it. That might be something to work towards also.

Finally, throwing weapons all scale with luck in Cinders and there are infinitely throwable items available that use focus instead of ammunition. There’s also a luck catalyst that can use all types of magic, scales them all with luck (with good scaling) and has the quickstep WA, so luck builds can be super versatile and do a little bit of everything.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Moola posted:

Yes there are several

I think they mean the leaping cyclone drill thing

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the one where they torpedo through the air and fall apart on landing. might be only the headless skeletons that do this.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

the one where they torpedo through the air and fall apart on landing. might be only the headless skeletons that do this.

Some weapons have spinny WAs, but no, nothing but those skeletons can do that specific move or anything like it.

Verviticus posted:

Verviticus posted:

i did my entire run as 2h so i dunno i wanted to parry stuff sometimes especially invaders

If you like DS2's mechanics and PVP a lot, you are almost certainly going to dislike DS3's.

There are a few more tools that parry other than shields, it's just that the small shields tend to have the best balance of active frames. There is the parrying dagger, of course. All fist/claw weapons in the left hand parry, as well as the rapier. A lot of the small curved swords in the offhand parry too: iirc the scimitar, rotten ghru, painting guardian, PKCS, and warden twinblades all can (these all have the weirdest animation). Maybe the Shotel too?

The only other weapon class that can parry when 2-handed (other than the Farron UGS) is most of the katanas. Like the Farron though they have some of the smallest window for active frames - it's mostly for the flex in PVP, if with latency you still manage a parry.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

eh i played ds3 on release, i just dont remember a lot of the details, but i do remember enjoying the game. im pretty sure i did some boring rear end 1h sword/shield that time but these games are so much better if you dont block

edit: or if, at least, blocking is there only to prevent you from getting one shot, sometimes

Logan 5 posted:

There are a few more tools that parry other than shields, it's just that the small shields tend to have the best balance of active frames. There is the parrying dagger, of course. All fist/claw weapons in the left hand parry, as well as the rapier. A lot of the small curved swords in the offhand parry too: iirc the scimitar, rotten ghru, painting guardian, PKCS, and warden twinblades all can (these all have the weirdest animation). Maybe the Shotel too?

The only other weapon class that can parry when 2-handed (other than the Farron UGS) is most of the katanas. Like the Farron though they have some of the smallest window for active frames - it's mostly for the flex in PVP, if with latency you still manage a parry.

ill look at some of these. i guess i can just go 1h/1h with some weird combo if i really feel the need to parry, ty

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 6, 2021

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
yeah blocking with a shield in ds3 especially is not nearly as effective

good luck with the parry tools - if it helps any, here's a visual of the startup/active/cool down frames for them: http://i.imgur.com/42TLqRi.png

DollyDagger
Dec 31, 2007
I need some advice. I played this game back when it came out and haven't really touched it since. I am going to play through again now and do all the dlc's but I want to start a new character. I went with a sword'n'board knight my first time through so I thought I would mix it up and go with a pyromancer this time. Looking it over and I am not sure how to handle the stats here. You need both INT and Faith for damage, plus ATT for FP and spell slots, but you can't skip for VIG and END right? And DEX for spell casting speed? Not sure what I should be prioritizing here in the early game.

Likewise, what is a good weapon to make raw or fire for the early/mid game? I used straight swords and the claymore on my first run so I'd like a change of pace.

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

"IN PLACE OF KÄÄRIJÄ YOU WOULD HAVE LOREEN! NOT GREEN BUT BEAUTIFUL AND BEIGE AS 'TATTOO'!"
Casting uses stamina, so you def need endurance. Vigor is up to you, since in theory you can dodge almost anything, but it takes serious game mastery. Your vitality is low, so armor options are limited.

There's plenty of good weapons early that can be practical with raw: mace and war-pick both do strike damage which are good against armored enemies. Longsword is a solid choice. Estoc - insanely good. Lucerne - requires a small stat investment and the damage may at first seem underwhelming, but the move-set is really good and it does thrust damage. There's the deep battle axe dropped by the first mimic that can be useful. My personal favorite is pronged plow. That thing looks like a joke, but it has crazy reach and it's good at keeping enemies at distance.

These came to mind and require little to no stat investments and can be found in the early game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hmm, I knew it going in, but they really seem to have done my boy pyromancy dirty in DS3, huh? No regrets though, Fashion Souls is top priority and hardly anything is cooler than throwing a fireball that explodes into a dozen smaller fireballs even if the damage is poo poo for the considerable investment . :)

And umm, this game has really good levels imho. There’s virtually no interconnectivity like DS1 that I can tell but each area is so wide and sprawling so far (just killed Crystal Sages) I find myself constantly surprised that there’s still more level.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Last Celebration posted:

Hmm, I knew it going in, but they really seem to have done my boy pyromancy dirty in DS3, huh? No regrets though, Fashion Souls is top priority and hardly anything is cooler than throwing a fireball that explodes into a dozen smaller fireballs even if the damage is poo poo for the considerable investment . :)

And umm, this game has really good levels imho. There’s virtually no interconnectivity like DS1 that I can tell but each area is so wide and sprawling so far (just killed Crystal Sages) I find myself constantly surprised that there’s still more level.

It is pretty much all connected, but like a big train track with a couple of offshoots

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Quick question, what happens when I defeat the last boss in the game? Does my save automatically turn into an NG+ save? I'm pretty sure I missed a lot of optional content (not to mention, DLC stuff).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No only DS1 and Bloodborne kick you straight to NG+. In fact in DS3 I'd totally recommend doing the main game final boss before the DLC.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Is dreg heap supposed to basically be the final base game zone? It looks pretty much identical to the area SoC is

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dreg Heap is DLC, but it is supposed to be pretty much the same location as Kiln: the literal end of the world where everything collapses together around the First Flame. There’s a bonfire at Kiln which warps you directly there, though I would guess most people get there via the first DLC instead.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
VG has moved on to DS3

https://clips.twitch.tv/AdventurousShyNostrilFreakinStinkin-Q0GP-8B3FkJ4vn2H

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Having your character fall apart into pieces could be bad for the pacing

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I watched Veeg’s stream and siegward in the well had totally different dialogue for me yesterday and the first time I played it a couple of years ago? How odd. I didn’t see patches in the cathedral, he locked me in the tower instead.

Nice little touches I suppose.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
hahaha holy poo poo pontiff sulyvahn sucks HARD if you're committed to punches only. Caestus and demon fist have a hard time reaching/hitting him even when I'm hugging his nuts, so I'm using the manikin claws which do about 113 per hit. I've gotten him down to half. Tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can parry him using my caestus-demon fist setup.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Parrying pontiffs big initial lunge attack is a baller move.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Ok, so, after finishing the base game, I wanted to spice things up in the DLC.
I wasted a Mage respec because Orbeck left my game, so I respecced again into Pyromancy.

How the hell am I supposed to play this? I can't get past the first pack of wolves in the Painted World, sometimes I get locked down by the Farron Followers.
The action economy is too lopsided, casts are slow and it's too easy to miss - one of my cast kills MAYBE one wolf. I'm better off with the chaos sword I infused, but then what's the point? The few times I went past the initial opening, I needed 3 unblocked casts to stop one of the big knights. Guess it's a git gud issue but dunno why shouldn't I simply go back to a weapon build.

Char fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 11, 2021

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Char posted:

Ok, so, after finishing the base game, I wanted to spice things up in the DLC.
I wasted a Mage respec because Orbeck left my game, so I respecced again into Pyromancy.

How the hell am I supposed to play this? I can't get past the first pack of wolves in the Painted World, sometimes I get locked down by the Farron Followers.
The action economy is too lopsided, casts are slow and it's too easy to miss - one of my cast kills MAYBE one wolf. I'm better off with the chaos sword I infused, but then what's the point? The few times I went past the initial opening, I needed 3 unblocked casts to stop one of the big knights. Guess it's a git gud issue but dunno why shouldn't I simply go back to a weapon build.

Pyromancers hit everything with fire swords and then lob a fireball if there's an opening. That's just how DS3 is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah this is not a game where you can be a full fire mage. Actually, is any Dark Souls? I'd think you have to few casts of most pyromancies to only rely on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Early DS1 speedruns used pyromancy but they've moved on from that. You could get a +10 flame pretty early and combustion did good damage.