Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my god...godspeed, you beautiful necktie. I will never forget your sacrifice, *bratan*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is it possible to "solve" the Tribunal without any civilian causalities? I've only done it twice but I really don't know how you could possibly do that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jack Trades posted:

Is it possible to "solve" the Tribunal without any civilian causalities? I've only done it twice but I really don't know how you could possibly do that.

No. You can mitigate them to a degree but not avoid them entirely.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

The mechanical penalty is pretty much explicitly about pushing you towards being a cryptofascist, yeah. Like Gary. From a personal perspective, fascist Harry has pushed down everything he can until it's gotten all twisted up into irrational hate, and putting on a fake face for the world is part of what keeps that hate going. If he could talk about it openly, someone might actually talk him out of it, or sympathize, or... something. All of the options are bad. So instead, he punishes himself mentally for letting the mask slip (which he will do, occassionally), and then develops unhealthy coping strategies for dealing with those self-inflicted wounds. I may be remembering wrong, though - it is only for saying fascist things, right? Or is it for even thinking them?

Jack Trades posted:

Minimum deaths: 4. Minimum Union deaths: 3.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Per the dev discord, patch 1.2 should be going live today for my fellow PS5 players who put their playthroughs on pause.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is it possible to not see ex-something in your dream at the end of the game?
I've tried my best to avoid interacting with anything related to Dolores Dei but I still got the dream.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Jack Trades posted:

I've tried my best to avoid interacting with anything related to Dolores Dei but I still got the dream.

Sort of but not really - the only way to avoid it is not to sleep on the island so you don’t get the dream at all

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jack Trades posted:

Absolutely. You get a good, peaceful night of sleep with good dreams, and the game says it's incredible you managed to "dodge it all" and finally get some nourishing sleep. Your mind is "healing" and "weaving itself back into shape". It's pretty nice.

DoctorTristan posted:

Sort of but not really - the only way to avoid it is not to sleep on the island so you don’t get the dream at all

Nope, incorrect.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 6, 2021

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dios mio!!!! A liberal!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

yes, it is possible. you got too close to the apricots or something. here's a post I made about getting that, though it's the original version, not final cut:

World War Mammories posted:

just finished disco elysium for the sixth or maybe seventh time. pulled off the plot thread resolution I was trying to do, entirely avoiding Dora and having a peaceful final dream on the island:

I was worried that two or three mentions of Dolores Dei could have precluded it - Kim mentioned her when talking about the body's tattoos, and Joyce as well during her story of the discovery of Insulinde - but apparently not. jamais vu and the reality lowdown didn't seem to be a problem either. I never cracked open the ledger's hidden compartment nor got the jeans with the gum wrapper to avoid any odors of apricot, never entered the church or talked to andre and company, never dialed either phone, never clicked on the shelf with the book about the innocences. the dialogue with the phasmid even accounted for it:

and for the final part of my disco elysium book report, here's a result I hadn't yet seen after playing suzerainty:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

yes, it is possible. you got too close to the apricots or something. here's a post I made about getting that, though it's the original version, not final cut:

Ah, thanks. I bought the figurine because I forgot that it was related to her. Must've been that.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Kobal2 posted:

What's the message there ? That you're *supposed* to be crypto ? That the cognitive dissonance is just *that* hard to work at ? Or is it simply metatextual indication that yeah, no, fascism is loving bollocks you loving idiot ?

I definitely think there's a healthy dose of that last bit. If all of the political stances just gave their own nice little perks, the game would be somewhat equating their validity, even if only playfully. While the devs are clearly telling a story that romanticizes communism above the others, you can play the game as a more liberal or moralist character without it inviting a mechanical penalty, and the critiques of these perspectives are incisive without really demonizing people like it's one big CSPAM thread. They're not trying to give that same consideration to fascism; it's a belief system rooted in anger that only begets more anger, and rather than trying to twist that into a positive thing for your character, they focus instead on how poisonous it can be.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I suspect that the real reason Gary is a cryptofash is the wonderful play on words him being one allowed for

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I suspect that the real reason Gary is a cryptofash is the wonderful play on words him being one allowed for

I'm not even sure when I noticed, my brain just filled in everything after "crypto" automatically

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
One thing I kind of don't get is why (trivial spoiler) Waste Land of Reality takes so long to research compared to every other thought? You need like 20 non-sleep hours to pass to get it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

sean10mm posted:

One thing I kind of don't get is why (trivial spoiler) Waste Land of Reality takes so long to research compared to every other thought? You need like 20 non-sleep hours to pass to get it.

because it's the thought that represents actually coming to terms with being an alcoholic and quitting the booze.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

cock hero flux posted:

because it's the thought that represents actually coming to terms with being an alcoholic and quitting the booze.

The time it takes kind of doesn't matter if you get it day one from your fash-y interactions with Measurehead where you learn Advanced Race Theory but if you get it day 3+ from the church ceiling dude it can leave you drawing out your playthrough on purpose just to get the hours in for it.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
Has the PS4 patch gone live yet?

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

pablo gbscobar posted:

Has the PS4 patch gone live yet?

No patch yet. Just some time "today"

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

RubberLuffy posted:

No patch yet. Just some time "today"

It's 10pm where I live :mad: Guess I'm putting this on pause til tomorrow then

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

GlyphGryph posted:

Absolutely. You get a good, peaceful night of sleep with good dreams, and the game says it's incredible you managed to "dodge it all" and finally get some nourishing sleep. Your mind is "healing" and "weaving itself back into shape". It's pretty nice.

Nope, incorrect.

:aaa:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Not an ending I would want personally

A “healing” that is contingent on avoiding ten thousand environmental factors that tangentially remind you of your trauma is not healing at all. It’s simply delaying the inevitable reckoning.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Are the new achievements not working? I just finished the Communist vision quest and got nothing.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

Are the new achievements not working? I just finished the Communist vision quest and got nothing.

achievements have been real finicky for me in general

managed to get a few to pop after opening the steam overlay in game and then triggering the requirements, but then again i also seem to be missing the vision quest one so idk

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Captain Oblivious posted:

A “healing” that is contingent on avoiding ten thousand environmental factors that tangentially remind you of your trauma is not healing at all. It’s simply delaying the inevitable reckoning.

Some of it does seem a bit bullshit, like does just looking at the church window at all lock you out? But some parts of it make more sense. I don't know if just looking at the figurines locks you out, but dwelling on how "this could win her back" definitely should. The one part I think is handled really well for justifying this ending though, is the hidden compartment in the ledger.

There are Inland Empire warnings all over the place about looking into the ledger, even warnings about looking into the garbage to find the ledger at all. Some part of Harry remembers what's in there, and that he needs to let it go and stop looking at it. We can even see in THE UNSOLVABLE CASE that Harry broke down and started crying after beating the dude with the ledger ended up jamming the compartment. He obsesses over those lines in the letter so much that even in my recent playthrough where I've never looked inside the ledger, it still came up as a response for Harry to give when Garte didn't like his karaoke: "But I have a vast soul that she'll always come back to!"

Not looking in there again, or letting the letter go if you do look in there, can be seen as a very conscious choice and step forward for Harry.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Eh, everything I avoided was stuff I was either clearly warned of by my intuition as a sending me down a bad road, or clearly playing into Harry's delusionally holding onto his past. Apparently the dream is something you have basically every night and have had for years, and it is at least in part the dream you nearly killed yourself to get away from. However tenuous it might be, every night he fails to return there is a night he can work on working towards building a future that isn't based around its constant presence.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I think the idea is that prior to that night you've just been repeating cycles of dreams in your self-destructive loop. So that you've managed to eke out a single peaceful night is meaningful because it is a chance for your mind to actually rest for the first time in who knows long. It's not the end of the road but it's not nothing either.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

getting the distinct feeling they’re not gonna get that patch out today either

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I think the idea is that prior to that night you've just been repeating cycles of dreams in your self-destructive loop. So that you've managed to eke out a single peaceful night is meaningful because it is a chance for your mind to actually rest for the first time in who knows long. It's not the end of the road but it's not nothing either.

No I get that. I’m saying the mechanism is unconvincing.

If apricot gum or the image of the most popular religious icon in the world is all it takes, then this isn’t actual healing

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

That entire subplot pisses me off.
Harry fixates on his ex way too hard. Like I get that this is a terrible breakup and that he lost a lot in the process. But is that any reason to flush your entire life down the proverbial toilet? All I wanted was for Harry to get over it, move on and meet another woman who he's compatible with. Instead the game kind of runs you through these obsessive morale/health nightmares. I mean all of these issues can be resolved. He can find love again and it might even be healthier and more rewarding than his last relationship.'

On a sidenote are we going to get a sequel?
The esprit de corps check at the end seems to put Harry on a list of potential revolutionaries. Would be nice to kick out the moralintern and strike a blow against panisolary capitalism

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

There's been nothing official of course, but having listened to a few talks from kurvitz he really doesn't make much of a secret about wanting to make more games in the same style in the same setting. The game was an extremely huge success so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't happen, the only question is on what timeline.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

:laffo: You can get stuck in a loop of always making whiskey and ginger with the Pale Medicine book.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

:laffo: You can get stuck in a loop of always making whiskey and ginger with the Pale Medicine book.

Yeah that happened to me, I just want to make my own drugs dammit! Something new and exciting, speed and cigarettes and booze and pyrholidon(?) are fun but my Harry is all about new experiences

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

No I get that. I’m saying the mechanism is unconvincing.

If apricot gum or the image of the most popular religious icon in the world is all it takes, then this isn’t actual healing

I mean, you're not wrong. If you actually manage to pull it off Inland Empire is seriously like "holy gently caress man, how'd you do that? There was the thing and the other thing and that fuckin' book!" It is extremely aware of how fragile Harry is.

But, at the same time, Harry is not the way that normal people are all the time. He has fallen down far enough that actually feeling better when he gets up instead of worse is a positive development, and worth celebrating.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Kraftwerk posted:

Harry fixates on his ex way too hard. Like I get that this is a terrible breakup and that he lost a lot in the process. But is that any reason to flush your entire life down the proverbial toilet?

Yes. Yes it is. That's what love does when it's gone (and what communism does when it's crushed).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s also not just the break up. Harry was also putting in an absolutely tremendous and unsustainable amount of effort into the work and closing all those cases. That’s just as responsible for his burnout imo

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

sean10mm posted:

it is mechanically a very powerful thought statwise.

+1 to 4 stats, 0 changes to 2 stats(because the +1 to all psych skills cancels out the negatives to inland empire and suggestion), and -1 to 1 stat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Harry fixates on his ex way too hard. Like I get that this is a terrible breakup and that he lost a lot in the process. But is that any reason to flush your entire life down the proverbial toilet? All I wanted was for Harry to get over it, move on and meet another woman who he's compatible with. Instead the game kind of runs you through these obsessive morale/health nightmares. I mean all of these issues can be resolved. He can find love again and it might even be healthier and more rewarding than his last relationship.'

The esprit de corps check at the end seems to put Harry on a list of potential revolutionaries. Would be nice to kick out the moralintern and strike a blow against panisolary capitalism

men will literally obliterate their conscious selves with apocalypse level substance abuse instead of going to therapy