Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

That entire subplot pisses me off.
Harry fixates on his ex way too hard. Like I get that this is a terrible breakup and that he lost a lot in the process. But is that any reason to flush your entire life down the proverbial toilet? All I wanted was for Harry to get over it, move on and meet another woman who he's compatible with. Instead the game kind of runs you through these obsessive morale/health nightmares. I mean all of these issues can be resolved. He can find love again and it might even be healthier and more rewarding than his last relationship.'

On a sidenote are we going to get a sequel?
The esprit de corps check at the end seems to put Harry on a list of potential revolutionaries. Would be nice to kick out the moralintern and strike a blow against panisolary capitalism

"i'm annoyed that the main character doesn't react healthily to the circumstances in which he finds himself and that he employs obviously maladaptive coping mechanisms to deal with issues in his life"
- person who purchased and then played through the entirety of Human Trainwreck Simulator 2020, seemingly without ever coming within shouting distance of The Point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

men will literally obliterate their conscious selves with apocalypse level substance abuse instead of going to therapy

The only therapy we need is a cool necktie who has our back, bratan.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

The only therapy we need is a cool necktie who has our back, bratan.

yeah but a game where harry hangs himself in the closet from love-loss-induced despair wouldn't have been long or good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cock hero flux posted:

"i'm annoyed that the main character doesn't react healthily to the circumstances in which he finds himself and that he employs obviously maladaptive coping mechanisms to deal with issues in his life"
- person who purchased and then played through the entirety of Human Trainwreck Simulator 2020, seemingly without ever coming within shouting distance of The Point

2019! :eng101:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aye Doc posted:

yeah but a game where harry hangs himself in the closet from love-loss-induced despair wouldn't have been long or good

It was actually a ceiling fan thank you :colbert:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

christmas boots posted:

It’s also not just the break up. Harry was also putting in an absolutely tremendous and unsustainable amount of effort into the work and closing all those cases. That’s just as responsible for his burnout imo

But that's the break up too, isn't it ? I admit I don't really have a timeline all pegged out on a whiteboard filled with Clues and red strings ; but I assumed the reason Raphaël drowned himself in the work was to try and get his mind away from Her and focused on something, anything else.

I mean, even at the heart of the soul of The Work, there's a secret apricot-scented compartment. Surely that has "symbolism" written in crayon all over it ?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Aye Doc posted:

I wouldn't know, I killed myself turning on the lights in my room.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

But that's the break up too, isn't it ? I admit I don't really have a timeline all pegged out on a whiteboard filled with Clues and red strings ; but I assumed the reason Raphaël drowned himself in the work was to try and get his mind away from Her and focused on something, anything else.

I mean, even at the heart of the soul of The Work, there's a secret apricot-scented compartment. Surely that has "symbolism" written in crayon all over it ?

maybe he dove deeper into the intense policing after she left, but Harry was a cop for 18 years and she left 6 years prior to the start of the game. the cases made him a miserable depressed wreck all the time and it weighed on Dora heavily, plus being a cop paid poo poo all apparently and they were constantly too poor. if you learn the thought related to that secret apricot compartment, it also sheds some light on their relationship and the effects his detective work had on it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

cock hero flux posted:

Nah I get the point. I guess I just like finding things that are broken and fixing them and I understand the game only gives you maybe a week's worth of time to sort things out. Not enough time to recover from alcoholism or solve the bigger issues, but enough to at least get a good start on it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

harry had been killing himself with work before the break up happened. in fact, it's one of the reasons why the break up happened. it took its toll on him and he started drowning himself in booze to cope, which strained his relationship even more.

remember. harry had been on the force for 18 years, but the break up happened only 6 years ago.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 7, 2021

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
where is the patch keanu, i mean cuno

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh gently caress I went in the church and saw a stainedglass image. This is the end of me.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Roobanguy posted:

harry had been killing himself with work before the break up happened. in fact, it's one of the reasons why the break up happened. it took its toll on him and he started drowning himself in booze to cope, which strained his relationship even more.

remember. harry had been on the force for 18 years, but the break up happened only 6 years ago.

Nonsense. The break up happened because he didn't have the right figurines. And because Dolores would rather be riding the cock carousel, OBVIOUSLY.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Kraftwerk posted:

Harry fixates on his ex way too hard. Like I get that this is a terrible breakup and that he lost a lot in the process. But is that any reason to flush your entire life down the proverbial toilet? All I wanted was for Harry to get over it, move on and meet another woman who he's compatible with. Instead the game kind of runs you through these obsessive morale/health nightmares. I mean all of these issues can be resolved. He can find love again and it might even be healthier and more rewarding than his last relationship.

Man all the stuff about game mechanics and ending scenes aside, Harry getting into a new relationship with anyone sounds like a disastrous idea right now. Let him learn how to be healthy single for more than a few days first!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Harry fixates on his ex way too hard. Like I get that this is a terrible breakup and that he lost a lot in the process. But is that any reason to flush your entire life down the proverbial toilet? All I wanted was for Harry to get over it, move on and meet another woman who he's compatible with. Instead the game kind of runs you through these obsessive morale/health nightmares. I mean all of these issues can be resolved. He can find love again and it might even be healthier and more rewarding than his last relationship.'

It is no coincidence that when Harry dreams of his wife, he dreams of Dolores Dei. In essence, they are the same thing. Dolores is the embodiment of Moralism, the worship of the status quo. To the moralist, everything anomalous seems...insignificant. Communist uprising? No biggy. Orphans playing with corpses in the street? That's just the way it is. The gods are in their heavens. Everything is as it should be.

But this faith in the status quo is vanishing fast. The old church is empty. Where there was once worship of moralism, now there is nothing; a tear the fabric of the reality. And that's kind of the point. Just like Harry can't fix his relationship with his ex-wife, nobody can repair the damage that moralism has suffered. Nobody believes that the status quo is tenable. The world is teetering on the edge of war, and nothing will ever be the same.

Maybe the revolution will succeed. Maybe you can fill the church with music. Maybe you can convince the moralists to dance hardcore. Maybe not.

But moralism is as dead as disco.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Is the dialogue for your skills unable to be turned off? I set voice acting to classic but did it while in a convo so I think it might have glitched or something.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kobal2 posted:

in addition to what others have said we also know it can’t all have been in the past six years because Harry solved over 200 cases in those 18 years and according to Kim anything over 10/yr is considered absolutely phenomenal

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It is no coincidence that when Harry dreams of his wife, he dreams of Dolores Dei. In essence, they are the same thing. Dolores is the embodiment of Moralism, the worship of the status quo. To the moralist, everything anomalous seems...insignificant. Communist uprising? No biggy. Orphans playing with corpses in the street? That's just the way it is. The gods are in their heavens. Everything is as it should be.

But this faith in the status quo is vanishing fast. The old church is empty. Where there was once worship of moralism, now there is nothing; a tear the fabric of the reality. And that's kind of the point. Just like Harry can't fix his relationship with his ex-wife, nobody can repair the damage that moralism has suffered. Nobody believes that the status quo is tenable. The world is teetering on the edge of war, and nothing will ever be the same.

Maybe the revolution will succeed. Maybe you can fill the church with music. Maybe you can convince the moralists to dance hardcore. Maybe not.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Klaasje wont answer her drat door and Im on day 4 now. I can see her on the roof smoking though. Got the body down etc already.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Bifauxnen posted:

Man all the stuff about game mechanics and ending scenes aside, Harry getting into a new relationship with anyone sounds like a disastrous idea right now. Let him learn how to be healthy single for more than a few days first!

Oh totally. I don't think I implied that strongly enough but he would have to go through that step before the others. The game even makes that clear with the lady at the fishing village.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This is meta as gently caress and easily describes the last 40 or so years of Earth history up to the present moment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK, this Contact Mike running joke might possibly be my favorite thing in the game so far. It's right up there with lovingly describing a sandwich just to tell the person "No one will ever be able to make that sandwich" and stare longingly out to sea.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dandywalken posted:

Klaasje wont answer her drat door and Im on day 4 now. I can see her on the roof smoking though. Got the body down etc already.

yeah I had this problem too. did you talk to titus?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, but Ive 0 authority and dont want to savescum a 8% pass :(

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

you should be able to fail forward

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Just prove to Titus that you're serious, by borrowing Kim's gun and shooting yourself in the face :v:

EDIT: ^^^ or what he said, if you wanna be boring :D

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
drat it Keanu where's the dang patch :(

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Dandywalken posted:

There are no hard stops in the whole game. It might look like there is, but either you can go do something else for a bonus (especially on a certain Shivers check) or Kim will step in.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

been trying to see if i can get past day one doing anything else except investigating the body but its starting to look like i can't progress into day 2 until i do? am i correct on this?

i just wanna collect cans and talk to the locals, police work is for nerds.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Too Many Birds posted:

been trying to see if i can get past day one doing anything else except investigating the body but its starting to look like i can't progress into day 2 until i do? am i correct on this?

i just wanna collect cans and talk to the locals, police work is for nerds.

Not only can you progress without ever doing that, but there is in fact an achievement for it

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

well i'm at 21:00 and i can't find a way to trigger the sequence to pay for damages and my room? what should i be doing??

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Too Many Birds posted:

well i'm at 21:00 and i can't find a way to trigger the sequence to pay for damages and my room? what should i be doing??

You pay for the room by talking to Garte.
There are a couple of ways to get the money. You can ask Joyce (I think you need to pass a check), or if that fails you can get Kim to pawn these fancy hubcaps he's got in his car.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Not only can you progress without ever doing that, but there is in fact an achievement for it

Speaking of which, is it possible to get both the achievement for this, but also pull the boots off the body? I'd assume not, but I'd love a way of getting the achievement relevant to my spoiler, in the same playthrough! :D

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of which, is it possible to get both the achievement for this, but also pull the boots off the body? I'd assume not, but I'd love a way of getting the achievement relevant to my spoiler, in the same playthrough! :D

I'd assume not, that comes after getting your poo poo together and doing the external examination and I dont even think you have the chance until it's down and about to go into the bag

That said, its frankly heretical to think you need anything but a single shoe, no pants, a frog hat, a silk robe, and a mesh t shirt

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Read every page of the Disco Elysium threads from way back when they started, and this deserves to be in the HoF of their posts.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Finished my third plaxthrough, I was pleasantly surprised how many things I forgot about and could experience again. Now I'm finally doing a full Stat "ALL of the content" plaxthrough, slowly. It's great fun but take a long time. The writing is just so good, I wanna see all of it. Only downside so far, can't be officer Cousteau if you don't fail the name check at the beginning.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK, this Contact Mike running joke might possibly be my favorite thing in the game so far. It's right up there with lovingly describing a sandwich just to tell the person "No one will ever be able to make that sandwich" and stare longingly out to sea.

i made the 3% red check to steal the sandwich, then couldn't go through with it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gorn Myson posted:

Read every page of the Disco Elysium threads from way back when they started, and this deserves to be in the HoF of their posts.

agreed, it's really really good.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sebmojo posted:

i made the 3% red check to steal the sandwich, then couldn't go through with it

Coward, that sandwich has been my white whale across 3 playthroughs. When it comes out on Switch I'm literally building my detective around getting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Epic High Five posted:

Coward, that sandwich has been my white whale across 3 playthroughs. When it comes out on Switch I'm literally building my detective around getting it

i confess i cheated and watched the scene you get out of it and it's great