Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I haven't had a chance to play in a few days due to work stuff so I'm super behind on the thread -- is the meta now that it's better to kill than capture, or is it still the best option but just not as good as it was before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Aerox posted:

I haven't had a chance to play in a few days due to work stuff so I'm super behind on the thread -- is the meta now that it's better to kill than capture, or is it still the best option but just not as good as it was before?

As far as I can tell it essentially boils down to there being some things you can only get through carves vs some things having a better drop chance on capture, so it largely depends on what you actually need from a particular monster as to which to do. Suggested etiquette seems to be to let the room host make the call, unless you're on your last cart in which case probably best to make sure you get something from the time spent.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Bombadgies are awesome. I once knocked a monkey off a cliff by golf swinging a bombadgy at him.

And they poot when they're done exploding.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Some things can't drop from carves, some can't drop from captures, and the general trend is that rarer things have a higher chance of dropping from captures but you get 2-3 rewards instead of a guaranteed 3 carves. Fortunately all this info is now in the game in the hunter's notes so you don't have to look things up on a wiki before you go on a hunt.

Edit: Also the reduced rewards from capturing can itself be misleading sometimes, because sometimes you'll get 2 of an item from capturing but only 1 from carving, eg you have an 18% chance of getting 2 thunder sacs from capturing a Khezu or a 20% chance of 1 from carving.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 7, 2021

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
For the final boss, when are you supposed to use the spitting wyvernfire or whatever? I used it when she was within the red aiming reticule but I didn't see any damage numbers even though her body was still in the explosion animation. Are you only supposed to use it on her when she is on the ground or in her big coiled floating animation? Is the explosion animation just way larger than damage point? Was it maybe server lag since I wasn't the host? We still killed her, I just felt bad for messing it up

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Well, I ruined this game for myself by accidentally wearing armor with Evade Extend on it and now I can't play without it.

Also Nargacuga is a stupid idiot with no brain, obviously, since he won't drop a Medula no matter how many times I carve his skull open.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I love expeditions. Give me a fun environment to explore and things to collect and I'm on it. All this games needs is BOTW's glider and I would never play another game again.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

CJacobs posted:

Crosspost:

I love this game

whoa which lance is that

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Well, I ruined this game for myself by accidentally wearing armor with Evade Extend on it and now I can't play without it.

Yeah, I basically can't play any slow-walking weapon without it now. Also, a double-leap backwards actually covers a huge amount of distance, so if you need a gap-closer, it can actually help to face away from the monster, double-backstep up to them, then turn around and do your attack

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Finally got that stupid magna orb and finished my Aelucanth head/chest, Sinister gloves, and Golden waist/boots dual blades set. Feels nice. Now to get the rest of my weapons maxed and start grinding out some decos

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Good Citizen posted:

Finally got that stupid magna orb and finished my Aelucanth head/chest, Sinister gloves, and Golden waist/boots dual blades set. Feels nice. Now to get the rest of my weapons maxed and start grinding out some decos

What talismans are your working with. I feel they ultimately determine the rest of my setup based on wether the DB needs handicraft/pp or razor sharp.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What talismans are your working with. I feel they ultimately determine the rest of my setup based on wether the DB needs handicraft/pp or razor sharp.

My talismans are 100% poo poo right now since I slept on melding way too long while working on armor/weapons. I think I'm running evade window with a deco slot and have a 2x wide range I bring out when farming easier monsters in a group

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Aerox posted:

There is no meta for capping or carving. Its just deciding whether you want a higher chance for this part or that part because the loot tables are slightly different. Capping is better, most of the time, because its faster.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The meta is whatever looks cool and is the most fun

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Probably going to give hunting horn a go next since anytime I’m in a group without a horn I’m like yo where the horns at

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Even aside from slightly different loot tables, capturing gives fewer rewards than slaying, but it's faster. Which option is better in the big picture is probably up for debate. Does the extra safety and speed with capturing outweigh the bonus rewards for slaying? No idea.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
can't say I'm a fan of them being really stingy with Weakness Exploit availability while simultaneously keeping it at its full strength from base World

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
does having a skill like dragon attack add dragon attack to your weapon regardless of if it has any to begin with?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Farg posted:

does having a skill like dragon attack add dragon attack to your weapon regardless of if it has any to begin with?

No, it just increases the dragon attack if it's already there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Smith Comma John posted:

can't say I'm a fan of them being really stingy with Weakness Exploit availability while simultaneously keeping it at its full strength from base World

I have to imagine that decos for all the various skills that don't have them are coming eventually. The potential for mixed sets would be so much greater if everything just had a deco

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

robot roll call posted:

whoa which lance is that

Gunlance, it's Fiore Nulo Green. It's very pretty and does Paralysis!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo dual color fixes the biggest issue I've always had with IG. TBH this is better than any flashy switch skill

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Holy poo poo dual color fixes the biggest issue I've always had with IG. TBH this is better than any flashy switch skill

I can never go back

It helps that all the dual color kinsects are also assist type, which are really fun and cool. I still have a rough time with how slow those ones move but grabbing two colors more than makes up for it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I like the powder ones because they are the cutest and I like having my bug friend fly around and help me out with no further input.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Alxprit posted:

So here's the issue.

The heavy bowgun is never wrong. The heavy bowgun does what everyone else wishes they had the stones for. The Power Barrel is your only friend, and it is the only friend you need.

Clear the way for wyvernheart, and let everyone who fails to move suffer your wrath.

All can know peace through the cleansing fire.

edit:

we are small but mighty

Deviant fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 7, 2021

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

:confused:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

idk what magical groups you all played with where people tripping one another is some new phenomenon. I've disliked LS users for tripping everyone since forever!!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bunch of questions now that I'm in the highest rank. I had to go farm money so I could upgrade all my armor to max because wow it suddenly got hard, I thought I could wait and farm up some of the pieces I wanted instead of upgrading this assortment of stuff I have but I'm spending half the fights healing (I'm sure I'll learn them)

- Should I be using rampage tickets on Talismans? Weapons only seem to require a couple for crafting and skills and I have a pile I'm sitting on and I don't want to accidentally throw stuff in I need for armor or decos
- Where the hell do I start with Light Bowgun; I don't want to put too many resources into it but I want a decent starting set to get a feel for it and see if I like it and there are sooo many differences from weapon to weapon. Ammo types and reload speeds and deviations
- Should I be using anything below Mega potions at the highest level hunts? Should I actually be sending my palicos to farm up stacks of max potions?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Did you join partway through? You don't get credit for sub-assignments completed before you join

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Finished the last special license quest and now I just have to do the rampage urgent to get into HR. I love Amuldron’s weapons/armor but I despise the fight so I’m just gonna keep the dual blades and make nothing else ever.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Bunch of questions now that I'm in the highest rank. I had to go farm money so I could upgrade all my armor to max because wow it suddenly got hard, I thought I could wait and farm up some of the pieces I wanted instead of upgrading this assortment of stuff I have but I'm spending half the fights healing (I'm sure I'll learn them)

- Should I be using rampage tickets on Talismans? Weapons only seem to require a couple for crafting and skills and I have a pile I'm sitting on and I don't want to accidentally throw stuff in I need for armor or decos
- Where the hell do I start with Light Bowgun; I don't want to put too many resources into it but I want a decent starting set to get a feel for it and see if I like it and there are sooo many differences from weapon to weapon. Ammo types and reload speeds and deviations
- Should I be using anything below Mega potions at the highest level hunts? Should I actually be sending my palicos to farm up stacks of max potions?

Tickets flow freely once you start doing Rampages, so it's better to toss them in the pot rather than monster mats you might need later.

Nargacuga LBG is pretty great overall, though a lot of the power is locked in the final upgrade where you get rapid fire Pierce 2. All you really need is two Recoil Down gems and you can make a decent enough clown suit out of like... Rhenoplos S head, S. Shell S vest, and then stuff you might already have like Rath S arms, Spio S waist, and Golden pants. Weakness Exploit on a talisman is ideal, but not required. Basically the gimmick is you have enough Weakness Exploit and regular affinity to get up towards 100% crit, some crit boost, and then Pierce Up 3 to really lean in.

Mega Potions are basically all I've needed, though having a max potion or two in case of absolute emergencies might save a cart here and there.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

On 3, I mostly use regular potions and first aid unless I get caught up in something real bad or I’m trying to save the team with wide range. I go through reg potions maybe three times as fast as megas but maybe that’s just me.

Not counting last boss. I’ll throw down some real items on that right now since why not

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
A palico sub devoted to honey is a good idea. You need it for mega potions and catalysts.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tricky posted:

Tickets flow freely once you start doing Rampages, so it's better to toss them in the pot rather than monster mats you might need later.

Nargacuga LBG is pretty great overall, though a lot of the power is locked in the final upgrade where you get rapid fire Pierce 2. All you really need is two Recoil Down gems and you can make a decent enough clown suit out of like... Rhenoplos S head, S. Shell S vest, and then stuff you might already have like Rath S arms, Spio S waist, and Golden pants. Weakness Exploit on a talisman is ideal, but not required. Basically the gimmick is you have enough Weakness Exploit and regular affinity to get up towards 100% crit, some crit boost, and then Pierce Up 3 to really lean in.

Mega Potions are basically all I've needed, though having a max potion or two in case of absolute emergencies might save a cart here and there.

I've read some math nerds saying Ingot pants are better here (until you get lots of decos/a good charm) for pierce LBG specifically cuz straight attack up seems better than crit/wex for pierce due to the numbers being so low per hit, and due to the nature of pierce only some of the shots will hit a weak point. pierce up 3/recoil down/attack being the main things you want as high as you can and then crit/wex/range as extras. Also the slidey wirebug skill is better for damage overall than the cool flip, which is sad.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 7, 2021

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I just noticed tonight that the attack and defense up skills shift from being +X values at lower levels to +Y%, +X when you invest more points into it. Has it always worked like that in the series? I've never seen a game do that before, it seems like a clever way to reward commitment.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Reiley posted:

I just noticed tonight that the attack and defense up skills shift from being +X values at lower levels to +Y%, +X when you invest more points into it. Has it always worked like that in the series? I've never seen a game do that before, it seems like a clever way to reward commitment.

They change a little every game. In World after 4(?) points Attack Boost also gave affinity, which was different from old old monhun games where it just gave a straight attack number. But in World elemental attack boosts worked similar to how Attack Boost in rise works with a +% modifier after enough skill levels. It was weirdly capped in base world for some reason, making it kinda bad since most weapons didn't actually get the full % boost. They fixed that in IB which is a big reason why elemental builds for a lot of weapons came back there.

So yeah it's new to this specific skill in this specific game but the idea of "higher level skills have better bonuses" was in World a lot.

Pre-World you could even get attack down skills on some armor and charms!!!

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 7, 2021

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Quick tip for people who want to get more out of their Meowcenaries/Dojo/Argosy stuff.

Meowcenaries give rewards every 5 quests
The Dojo finishes every 10 quests if you spend one laginapple
The cohoot nest fills up every 5 quests
One laginapple extends bargaining skills at the Argosy by 3 quests

You can pretty easily get into the habit of renewing the meowcenaries every 5 quests, then checking the cohoot nest and feeding another laginapple to the argosy traders. If you feed a second laginapple to them after the next quest, they'll be good to go until you next get a notification about the meowcenaries. The dojo can be checked every time the meowcenaries pop up, and will be done every two meowcenary pop ups, and can be restarted by spending one laginapple.

What this ends up doing is giving you maximum rewards for all of your background palico collection stuff, with a minimal point cost, as the only thing you need to spend points on is the meowcenaries. The cohoot nest pays out quite a few laginapples, and I've gotten plenty back from the meowcenaries as well. You end up spending 6.3 laginapples (1 dojo, 2 meowcenaries, 3.3 argosy) per 10 quests, and if you run low on laginapples, you can always spend points on the argosy bargaining instead of apples.

Because the argosy laginapples extend the existing skill, you can make the palicos/palamutes do the skill that gives lots of rewards fast, and then extend that to keep getting triple materials indefinitely.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Thanks all! Yes I was getting more rampage tickets than I thought were useful but monster mats always feel in short supply. I'll keep a sub on honey, it's used in all sorts of stuff and normal potions are not cutting it in the harder fights for me.

Tricky posted:

Oof I was worried about that, I'm farming up Narg parts for the final axe to also do 100% crit and I need everything I can get. But yeah things like "the final upgrade gives you rapid pierce 2" seem to not be explained anywhere, the ranged weapons feel like a lot more trial and error than the others where you can read "attack 180 affinity 45%" and go ok this seems good. I'll definitely craft some of the earlier levels and use them on low level hunts with friends to see if I like the feel of it though, I was kind of sold on the whole jumping in the air and shooting bombs thing

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dirk the Average posted:

Quick tip for people who want to get more out of their Meowcenaries/Dojo/Argosy stuff.

Meowcenaries give rewards every 5 quests
The Dojo finishes every 10 quests if you spend one laginapple
The cohoot nest fills up every 5 quests
One laginapple extends bargaining skills at the Argosy by 3 quests

You can pretty easily get into the habit of renewing the meowcenaries every 5 quests, then checking the cohoot nest and feeding another laginapple to the argosy traders. If you feed a second laginapple to them after the next quest, they'll be good to go until you next get a notification about the meowcenaries. The dojo can be checked every time the meowcenaries pop up, and will be done every two meowcenary pop ups, and can be restarted by spending one laginapple.

What this ends up doing is giving you maximum rewards for all of your background palico collection stuff, with a minimal point cost, as the only thing you need to spend points on is the meowcenaries. The cohoot nest pays out quite a few laginapples, and I've gotten plenty back from the meowcenaries as well. You end up spending 6.3 laginapples (1 dojo, 2 meowcenaries, 3.3 argosy) per 10 quests, and if you run low on laginapples, you can always spend points on the argosy bargaining instead of apples.

Because the argosy laginapples extend the existing skill, you can make the palicos/palamutes do the skill that gives lots of rewards fast, and then extend that to keep getting triple materials indefinitely.

Don't forget to see if Rondine has any high-value items for trade. She pretty regularly has stuff that'll sell for 1000 or 10000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh yeah I did that ore farming trick and made 150k (not the 300k you're supposed to make but good enough lol) and it's good to know that money is no longer tight. I still spent most of it almost immediately but I was kinda programmed to use points for stuff over gold whenever possible.

Are points more useful? I use them mostly for the various palico activities but it feels like I have more than I'll ever need