Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
I think that second level blindness spell was labeled a 'curse' sometime around 2nd edition, which is why it's permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

boo boo bear posted:

I think that second level blindness spell was labeled a 'curse' sometime around 2nd edition, which is why it's permanent.

Yeah with tons of enemies that can cast it at will at you late game, or that was paralyze. All I remember was the last few hours of gameplay I was re-upping freedom of movement for every single character anytime it went down. Thank god they had wands coded in game even if they didn't actually exist in a normal playthrough.

I had no problem spending all the $$$ to purchase the in game listed items, and then just cheat myself wands of the same spell for the sake of convenience. The whole "belt slot" realism thing just made it super annoying for using consumables in general.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

pentyne posted:

Yeah with tons of enemies that can cast it at will at you late game

They don't cast poo poo. They're fae, they have an innate aura of Being Really *Really* Hot that you have to roll to resist every round you spend looking at them.
That stuff will make you go blind you know. Hairy palms, too.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So in the lonely hunter quest at lake silverstep village, is this pile of rocks for anything? I put a fish I found in it and an ancient wyvern showed up for me to kill and I got the fish back I guess. Is that it? I feel like I'm missing something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So in the lonely hunter quest at lake silverstep village, is this pile of rocks for anything? I put a fish I found in it and an ancient wyvern showed up for me to kill and I got the fish back I guess. Is that it? I feel like I'm missing something.

No, that whole village feels completely superfluous. The only thing of note I remember about that place is during the hunter's quest you have to be a nice person about it to him in order to unlock some curse research 20 hrs later you'll also need to get the true ending.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oh well I got annoyed when he wandered off and couldn't find him so I reloaded and just shanked him. Glad I wasn't missing anything important.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009
Whatever perception mechanic is used for discovering hidden places on the world map is quite possibly the worst design decision in any video game I have ever played

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

They just want you to force you to bring jaethal along. Don't do it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rycalawre posted:

Whatever perception mechanic is used for discovering hidden places on the world map is quite possibly the worst design decision in any video game I have ever played

Just wait until it stalls your main quest progression, so you can't continue until you level up or find a event that lowers the skill check difficulty.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Well I finished it on challenging for my 1st playthrough, overall I enjoyed it apart from the kingdom management.

Some highlights were the Stag Lord fight where my PC critted the last Owl Bear with a point blank arrow shot after all of the rest of the party were down, it was crit or reload.

Oh and some bug where I had to kill Irovetti 3 times for some reason because I think Octavia disintegrating him instantly for the second time just triggered hime coming back to life again.

Also this was fun

jarlywarly fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 7, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

jarlywarly posted:

Well I finished it on challenging for my 1st playthrough, overall I enjoyed it apart from the kingdom management.

Some highlights were the Stag Lord fight where my PC critted the last Owl Bear with a point blank arrow shot after all of the rest of the party were down, it was crit or reload.

Oh and some bug where I had to kill Irovetti 3 times for some reason because I think Octavia disintegrating him instantly for the second time just triggered hime coming back to life again.

Also this was fun

I love that the way KM shook out it also put off people who loved the pnp game because of some of the stat inflations they chose. Just a bunch of "number not high enough, add X" random choices to the source material.

Like does an undead sorcerer really need 53 CHA? I assume the idea was no save is possible against his DC for spells but on paper it just looks like it was a typo they never managed to fix.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

jarlywarly posted:

i used coup de grace on the spriggen leader and exploded him, and then after the battle i had a conversation with the pile of gore he turned into and then i couldnt leave the room

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

jarlywarly posted:

Also this was fun

Yeah, you can get some funny numbers with crits. Abilities that change crit modifier, maximize damage dice like sword saint ability and increase their number (like legendary proportions and lead weapons) can make it ridiculous.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

JamMasterJim posted:

Yeah, you can get some funny numbers with crits. Abilities that change crit modifier, maximize damage dice like sword saint ability and increase their number (like legendary proportions and lead weapons) can make it ridiculous.

:eyepop:

But I mean, this is also the Real Problem with the stat inflation: this game is Pathfinder 1E, which means it is D&D 3.5, which means it can be power-gamed to absolute hell and back, and a lot of the side monsters especially are clearly angled toward people who have been turbo-optimizing. They're built in such a way as to challenge those players, and it sort of feels like there was a general assumption that the game's main audience would already know Pathfinder 1E cold. That clearly isn't how it happened, but they didn't know how rebalance the whole game for the people who were just stumbling in (or thought the difficulty options would be enough, not realizing how dissatisfying that would feel).

Like, there's also just some problematic design in general (the overworld perception, perception in general, missable sources of EXP like trap disarmament) but part of the game's issues absolutely stem from an expectation of how the game is going to be played.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They made a game that caters to the 5% of the fanbase that loves making it as hard as possible for themselves, and bag of tricks turned it into a completely accessible game in the vein of Dragon Age and Baldurs Gate. Its almost a lucky break given how when I'd google for answers a lot of posts from oct 2018 come up and the universal response even on pathfinder specific forums was "this is poo poo design"

I definitely would've quit the game a few hours in after getting constant stat damage and needed to travel back and forth to get it healed, while on a tight schedule. If I didn't have build guides to follow I'd probably not even make it past the first boss as you need to know long term what to build up to wrt synergies. Like if I played blind I'd never take 3 points in mobility and find out crane style was a possible feat, and most melee builds take that asap.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

:eyepop:

But I mean, this is also the Real Problem with the stat inflation: this game is Pathfinder 1E, which means it is D&D 3.5, which means it can be power-gamed to absolute hell and back, and a lot of the side monsters especially are clearly angled toward people who have been turbo-optimizing. They're built in such a way as to challenge those players, and it sort of feels like there was a general assumption that the game's main audience would already know Pathfinder 1E cold. That clearly isn't how it happened, but they didn't know how rebalance the whole game for the people who were just stumbling in (or thought the difficulty options would be enough, not realizing how dissatisfying that would feel).

Like, there's also just some problematic design in general (the overworld perception, perception in general, missable sources of EXP like trap disarmament) but part of the game's issues absolutely stem from an expectation of how the game is going to be played.

I slightly disagree. Beyond the difficulty being extremely customizable,, the actual numbers you have to beat in order to connect, being damage or CC are not as high as you'd think and having a 6 man party is quite the advantage. Pathfinder system is not built to withstand 6 man parties with 25 point buy, honestly. It's favoring you the moment you escape the first 4 levels, where nothing comes together build wise. As long as you understand the mechanics (as in, what attack bonus, armor class is, saves etc), you can beat normal with auto-level of pure classes.

What you see in that pic is a combo of unique circumstances that comes together at endgame and could kill the sturdiest boss almost 3 times over.

The game not letting you organically learn the pathfinder mechanics easily on top of some questionable designs choices, that is an issue. But actual difficulty as in builds/numbers you need, it's a bit overstated. Not counting hard/unfair, obviously.
It's sometimes hard to distinguish actual issues of the game and noise from people who build sorcerer using Int or complain trolls resist stinking cloud.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

They just want you to force you to bring jaethal along. Don't do it.

I really like Jaethal in general, and her... condition is super useful in general, but I hate the fact that since she never gets fatigued, you will never get the "party is knackered, have a nap" popup while cruising around so you have to actually pay attention. Same thing with the "never get fatigued" amulet which you'll naturally snap on Amiri and never ever take off her.

Speaking of fun crits, anyone ever got the achievement for the one punch attack doing 150+ damage ? Obviously you need to build especially for it, but I'm too lazy to math it out and I think I'll want to fish for it on my next replay

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

I really like Jaethal in general, and her... condition is super useful in general, but I hate the fact that since she never gets fatigued, you will never get the "party is knackered, have a nap" popup while cruising around so you have to actually pay attention. Same thing with the "never get fatigued" amulet which you'll naturally snap on Amiri and never ever take off her.

Speaking of fun crits, anyone ever got the achievement for the one punch attack doing 150+ damage ? Obviously you need to build especially for it, but I'm too lazy to math it out and I think I'll want to fish for it on my next replay

The easiest approach would be Monk, All strength, Dragon Style to get extra mileage from Strength modifier. Highest strength belt you have, Amulet of might fists+5 and any buff that gives boost to damage rolls, Legendary proportions for extra strength and size increase . If you have UMD skill and get Lead weapons scroll/wand, it counts for increasing the damage dice of a monk's fist. IIRC, Scaled fist adds some elemental damage to it too with a ki ability.
That way, in the last stretch, any crit will get you the achievement. Whether you go full 20 levels to get the most damage dice for the fist, or multiclass for more strength bonuses, it will be roughly the same.

Without dragon style and the extensive buffs, you'd have to get a crit on a Vital strike or something. You could in theory get it from like a barbarian who gets an increased crit modifier at level 16 with beast totem, but the achievement may be wonky in recognizing the claws as unarmed.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I just wrapped up Varnhold Vanishing and was kind of expecting to have some downtime like I did after the bloom to do some more rank ups and clear the map around Varnhold but those sons of bitches hit me with story quests as soon as I got home. Should I load my save from before the cyclops bros tomb and do all that then? I've got about 190 days before the curse gets worse if that makes any difference.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

So I just wrapped up Varnhold Vanishing and was kind of expecting to have some downtime like I did after the bloom to do some more rank ups and clear the map around Varnhold but those sons of bitches hit me with story quests as soon as I got home. Should I load my save from before the cyclops bros tomb and do all that then? I've got about 190 days before the curse gets worse if that makes any difference.

You have got over 200 days(maybe 300) before you reach a game over state from the main quest (aside from the curse), so you are not in a rush. Some events may change if you take too long, but you could spend a couple months before engaging with mains quests easily.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Troll trouble started giving me increasingly bad events very quickly on my abandoned first playthrough, so I kind of got in the habit of rushing the MQ, is that the only one you really need to rush? Or are there any others?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Once your people get unhappy from bad events it's a real doom spiral, I'd consider fixing it with a console command of that happens

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Troll trouble started giving me increasingly bad events very quickly on my abandoned first playthrough, so I kind of got in the habit of rushing the MQ, is that the only one you really need to rush? Or are there any others?

I think finishing the cyclops main quest is the only one that then auto triggers the next chapter, obviously due to a highly infuriating plot forced outcome they want to set up as a "difficult choice" to make with massive consequences based on what you pick (i.e you can save one but not the other).

It's actually complete bullshit because you have plenty of time to save both if you do A then B, but not B then A.

A is also the one with the most cited absolute bullshit skill check where you need to succeed at a very high perception DC on the map to find the hidden location.

There's 2 completely random events you'd stumble across if exploring randomly in that entire area that lower the DC, but once you fail it, you can't retry it until you level up so possibly forced to fail B just from having to grind exp and hoping each time you succeed.

Honestly, the moment you get the quest "find X hidden tomb" and the game literally tells you that you have no choice but to wander around and hope you find it, use bag of tricks to enable succeed for all perception checks otherwise it loving sucks.

sebmojo posted:

Once your people get unhappy from bad events it's a real doom spiral, I'd consider fixing it with a console command of that happens

The first tier of unhappiness adds a penalty to your success chances for events, which you need to succeed to remove the unhappiness.....so yeah, it's like dominoes in that the first few major mistakes are going to end up creating a unbeatable situation several hours later.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 9, 2021

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Rushing the main quest is almost always the optimal approach.
You do get 'kingdom in trouble' warnings that hit stats in all chapters and many times kingdom events to deal with them, but actual game over deadline is usually far longer than that. Transition from Varnhold to barbarian trouble is just the only one without a long break.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Kingdom is doing great in this playthrough, got all my advisors unlocked before the end of chap 3 which I think is good? Got some teleportation cities for qol. Just need to figure out when the best times to dick around and do rank up quests are. I'm getting a backlog of them, two weeks is a big time commit especially if there's 5-6 in the queue.

edit:

JamMasterJim posted:

Rushing the main quest is almost always the optimal approach.
You do get 'kingdom in trouble' warnings that hit stats in all chapters and many times kingdom events to deal with them, but actual game over deadline is usually far longer than that. Transition from Varnhold to barbarian trouble is just the only one without a long break.

Got it, so I can rush that one and come back with plenty of time before the next whatever?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kingdom is doing great in this playthrough, got all my advisors unlocked before the end of chap 3 which I think is good? Got some teleportation cities for qol. Just need to figure out when the best times to dick around and do rank up quests are. I'm getting a backlog of them, two weeks is a big time commit especially if there's 5-6 in the queue.

You need to do them asap when you have a lot of events/projects you can knock out and not a death timer counting down. If you don't have your advisors level 6-7 at least by chapter 5 you're going to see a lot of events with a sub 30% success rate.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah I noticed once I finished Varnhold my success chances went from 95-100 with no crisis points to 50 out of nowhere. I think I'll load my pre tomb of too many cyclopses save and get a few more in. Is there a guide for the death timers?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

pentyne posted:

A is also the one with the most cited absolute bullshit skill check where you need to succeed at a very high perception DC on the map to find the hidden location.

I remember when this first came out this was one of the bugs that made it impossible to finish the game. The tomb was literally impossible to find until they patched it.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Yeah I noticed once I finished Varnhold my success chances went from 95-100 with no crisis points to 50 out of nowhere. I think I'll load my pre tomb of too many cyclopses save and get a few more in. Is there a guide for the death timers?

day 0 Baronation (end of chapter 1)
day 27 TrollTroubleStart
day 225 EnvoyIntro
day 278 TrollDestroyedYourKingdom
day 486 MonstersDestroyedYourKingdom
day 487 DiseaseDestroyedYourKingdom
day 510 EnvoyVarnholdIntro
day 690 OculusDestroyedYourKingdom
day 940 BarbarianHordeDestroyedYourKingdom <- This is your next deadline
day 1045 WarStart
day 1600 FeyDestroyedYourKingdom

You also have the Ancient curses to watch out for game over states.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I remember when this first came out this was one of the bugs that made it impossible to finish the game. The tomb was literally impossible to find until they patched it.
You could find the tomb , but the events that lower the DC could bug out, so it was pretty hard. It took 3 weeks to be able to get past Pitax though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I found a developer post that was pinned saying that no, not being able to find it was not a bug, it was working as intended in the save files people sent to them.

When you are getting an avalanche of complaints that people think a feature working as intended is a game ending bug, maybe you make a change so that can't happen.

I assumed that "find the tomb" was going to be a 30 day project or something like that because I'm almost positive that previous similar situations like that had the same progression path. It's only after I went to google a solution that I found tons of posts across two years of people complaining about it, even with the hardcore pathfinder fans.

That and the final dungeon seem to be the two major things that literally everyone has a extremely negative opinion about.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
sticking to Rules as Written to force you through bullshit might be fine for a while, but it does break down at that level

there are literal demi-gods running around that couldn't make those checks

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I got the location by not drowning in an event, but aren't there kingdom projects to have scouts find it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mordecai posted:

I got the location by not drowning in an event, but aren't there kingdom projects to have scouts find it?

Kind of, but it also requires the random event for 100% success, otherwise all it does is lower a DC50 to a DC45 or so. Also, auto-kingdom could fail the project so you're hosed regardless

https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1730963192540722771/

quote:

Armag's Tomb and where to find it
Dear Pathfinders! We've received multiple reports that finding the Armag's Tomb is bugged. We've checked the save files provided by the players, and, in most cases, there was no bug, just a little confusion. I'm posting this guide on finding the Armag's Tomb both to help those players who are stuck and double-check that there's no actual bug here.

So: Armag's Tomb is well hidden, it doesn't simply appear on the map. There are kingdom projects and one story event (the boatman) that could help you find it.

1. 'Find Any Hint on the Location of Armag's Tomb' kingdom project - this one you get automatically.
2. The boatman book event - triggers when you cross the East Sellen River, traveling from Dire Narlmarches to Glenebon or vice versa.

Successfully completing both this project and this event should 100% unlock the Armag's Tomb location = it would appear on the map while you travel further to Glenebon. Completing only one of them significantly lowers the DC of the perception check required, so you should be able to find the tomb if you have a character with high perception in your party.

If you did all of the above and the tomb is still not appearing on the map - then it's a bug and we'll be very happy to have a report with save file attached.

The problem could occur if you are playing with auto-kingdom mode and auto-kingdom fails to complete the 'find tomb' project. We are currently working on the solution for it. There's a workaround: complete the boatman story event, then take the character with highest perception, equip them with gear and buffs that boost perception, and try traveling through Glenebon. 100% success is not guaranteed, but this advice could help some players who are stuck.

Thank you!

Owlcat: Finding the location required to progress the main quest is not 100% guaranteed.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I had trouble with a few encounters in the game, one of which they later added a tooltip to explain.

I know I also had at least one issue when the game was first released that required a patch. The game was not in great shape when it was released, but on the issue you're discussing, I thought it was pretty well communicated that perception was an important thing, and that you ought to have at least one character focused on it.

I didn't min/max my characters. I made a bunch of mistakes leveling up both my PC and the NPCs the first few times I played, and I was only playing on "normal" difficulty. By "mistake" I mean things that were not *optimal*. I did not, and have not "dipped" into monk to get crane style. That sort of optimization is for people who want to play on the highest difficulty settings, I think. It's certainly not necessary to win the game on lower difficulties.

I ended up finishing the game as released and then again after the turn-based mod came out. I like the way they designed the game in terms of encounters and while I initially found the kingdom management frustrating too, I figured it out eventually.

That said, I have never experienced the bug that prevents you from finding that location, and I'd have been pretty frustrated if I had.

It's one my favorite crpgs in the last decade, and I'm hoping Wrath of the Righteous isn't a sophomore slump.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt, because I would also happily play another game made using the Infinity Engine and am anxiously awaiting the newest mods for the Temple of Elemental Evil engine, too.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

rojay posted:

It's one my favorite crpgs in the last decade, and I'm hoping Wrath of the Righteous isn't a sophomore slump.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt, because I would also happily play another game made using the Infinity Engine and am anxiously awaiting the newest mods for the Temple of Elemental Evil engine, too.

I strongly suspect there's a large overlap in the Venn diagram of "people who loved Kingmaker to bits" and "people who would suck a dead dog's cock if it could resurrect Troika"

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I liked Troika but let's not go crazy. ToEE is only playable thanks to fan-made mods after all.

Knights of the Chalice 2 is coming out before too long, though. Just saying...

rojay fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 10, 2021

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

rojay posted:

so uh, where would one look for those

Not for me, I mean for a friend, I'm clean I swear!!!

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

https://co8.org/community/threads/shattered-gates-of-slaughtergarde-adventure-beta-1-release.13099/

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

So I've been playing this build, and its going well so far, but I've never played a char that used combat feats so I'm finally at the point that I have the feats (lvl11) and the aspect of the wolf spell I'm not exactly sure how to play it. I assume I turn into a bear and cast aspect of the wolf and that makes my bear attacks naturally do trip? I can only cast it once so it seems like a 'big fight buff'. Should I have trip mode selected on my hotbar the rest of the time or just break it out strategically?
https://www.neoseeker.com/pathfinder-kingmaker/builds/Main_Character#Tripping_Balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seeing as the WotR beta is $120 :stare: , I figured I might as well as around here: Are the loading times and their frequency as bad as they were in Kingmaker? 'Cos if they are, I might hold off for a sale after the game's released 'cos gently caress that noise.