Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

But Elong Musk was born on June 28???

weird that you know when musk was born and also didn’t quote me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i got good news and bad news. the good news is that capitalism is ending, the bad is that we're gettin this: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/neofeudalism-the-end-of-capitalism/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mila kunis posted:

i got good news and bad news. the good news is that capitalism is ending, the bad is that we're gettin this: https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/neofeudalism-the-end-of-capitalism/

if you haven't listened to it, TrueAnon did a good episode talking about this with Jodi Dean herself: https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/you-are-a-serf-with-jodi-dean

very much worth a listen

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

mila kunis posted:

all of that is bs lol, love how they’re hyping up historically illiterate dweebs in major review magazines.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

all the good news you need is NUMBER go up.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Xaris posted:

if you haven't listened to it, TrueAnon did a good episode talking about this with Jodi Dean herself: https://soundcloud.com/trueanonpod/you-are-a-serf-with-jodi-dean

very much worth a listen

I really like Jodi Dean but the first few chapters of Ward’s book were so intensely bad that I closed the tab almost immediately. I didn’t know Dean had been on TrueAnon, thanks!

PawParole posted:

all of that is bs lol, love how they’re hyping up historically illiterate dweebs in major review magazines.

I think we might be in agreement on why it’s bad

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Crossposting some crack ping from the house buying thread in BFC:

quote:

Welp put an offer on a house we really liked in Shoreline (suburb just north of Seattle) for $600, we offered $700k, waived inspection since it came with a thorough inspection and all issues were addressed. Last night only 1 offer on the table but offers were due at 10am.

19 0ffers.

Top offers waived literally every contingency and went over $800k.

Well fuuuuuuuuuuck me.

I knew it would be bad when the prospective buyers coming out of the house as we went in were driving a tesla, as were the next two couples after us. Seriously I'm going through several layers of grief in this house buying process. I'm sad, angry, confused ... this poo poo is awful and buying a house is for suckers. Wealthy suckers.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

PawParole posted:

all the good news you need is NUMBER go up.

all the bad news is that NUMBER will go UP faster in the future, when you aren’t around to see it.

DOW 1 million in 3000 ad.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Vox Nihili posted:

that thread’s regulars tried to talk me out of buying a new construction house last fall - that or moving to the true rear end end of nowhere where I could more reasonably afford the mortgage - I’m glad I didn’t listen

the weekend I closed and moved in prices in my development went up like 11 grand lmao literally if my timing had been different I’d be living an hour or more outta Austin instead of just 20 mins

wolfs has issued a correction as of 06:32 on Apr 8, 2021

animist
Aug 28, 2018
number

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

wolfs posted:

that thread’s regulars tried to talk me out of buying a new construction house last fall - that or moving to the true rear end end of nowhere where I could more reasonably afford the mortgage - I’m glad I didn’t listen

the weekend I closed and moved in prices in my development went up like 11 grand lmao literally if my timing had been different I’d be living an hour or more outta Austin instead of just 20 mins
Just a regular ol' house buying megathread regular

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Nonsense posted:

tube TVs were loving awful and heavy for no reason other than to enrich movers

incredibly powerful cspam take. i'm in awe

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
if toxxes were a thing i'd bat that infrastructure weak is never happening because lmao they couldn't even do $15 min wage, inflation alone would mean 1960 min-wage these days should be like $46/hr

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I was able to get a really nice, conveniently located 3br/2ba condo for less than 70k about two years ago and the prices for units in this complex are still hovering around the 70-80k range, despite housing prices in most of the city absolutely skyrocketing (a similar condo in downtown, which is less than 15 minutes away by car, will set you back $250,000-300,000 easy).

There's not really any security and maintenance isn't that great and the neighbors like to leave trash everywhere, smash open the gates with their cars, and get hosed up on some sort of recreational drug and loudly, incoherently fight in the courtyard at 1 am on a weeknight, but I'm also spending less on mortgage and HOA fees combined than I was spending on rent for a smaller apartment, so all in all it's not bad.

Kind of hope the housing price explosion never makes it out here, high property values don't really benefit me. I don't see this as an investment, it's just a place I sleep that's cheaper than renting, and if the property values around here goes way up then I'll be in a pretty tight spot if I ever decide I want to move to a different one.

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 07:17 on Apr 8, 2021

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Xaris posted:

if toxxes were a thing i'd bat that infrastructure weak is never happening because lmao they couldn't even do $15 min wage, inflation alone would mean 1960 min-wage these days should be like $46/hr

yeah but have you considered how cheap tvs are nowadays

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

gently caress em

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
https://twitter.com/davies_will/status/1380045873040781313?s=21

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

so neoliberalism is done???

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

will Davies rocks you should read his book about happiness

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

mawarannahr posted:

will Davies rocks you should read his book about happiness

will davis is also a massive Twitter shitposter, someone buy him an account lol

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

We'll get infrastructure week, but instead of building actual infrastructure, it'll be an assortment of tax credits like the EV credit that is being floated.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

financial infrastructure is still infrastructure

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

finfrastructure bill

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

financial infrastructure is still infrastructure

true, but true in the worst way possible

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1379915355921940483

musk day will be the only day off you get on Mars

Fame Douglas posted:

But Elong Musk was born on June 28???

Bets on it being because he "smoked" weed that one time or its because its hitlers birthday?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Zillow has my house estimated at almost 200k over my purchase price in 2016

Selling would be a great way to clear up a lot of our cc debt we've been holding but there's no loving way I want to even deal with trying to buy a house in the market

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mr Hootington posted:

MMT only works if the money is being used on infrastructure, safety nets, or generally for the public good. Mmt does not work when it is just pumping into Blackrock to gobble up real estate.

your definition of 'work' differs from the definition used by those that matter

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

literally? please?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s a good thing for landlords that they earned a profit all those years so now they can weather a downturn in the market comfortably

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

i'm imagining all the landlords trapped in a office and a super villain uses a shrink ray on it and makes the office much smaller. the landlords do not get hit with the ray so the shrinking office space crushes their bones

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I’ll live out of car roaming the country

The Littlest Hobo
Dec 26, 2004

fanfic insert posted:

Bets on it being because he "smoked" weed that one time or its because its hitlers birthday?

Fans of school shootings?

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Koirhor posted:

If COVID wasn’t a thing and I could get away with showering at gyms for the cost of a $10/month membership, it would be a great idea

As such...no way I’m ever going in a gym again

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Koirhor posted:

first generation guzzoline warboy, huh? good choice

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1380137460953403393?s=19
Number go up, but also go down. Can't explain that

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1380148570867793923?s=19

https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1380148951807008768?s=19

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sjcasey/status/1380149525860519937?s=20

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i think mini supercycle is a setting on my washing machine but i'm not sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Capital is going to call a shortage of everything so they can raise prices regardless of what the supply chains look like. Why let a calamity go to waste?