Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Humble Bundle has another Kodansha bundle up with the main manga, a slime diaries one, and some spinoff about him working in an office as a slime. There are a few other series in it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

doomrider7 posted:

The manga has a narrative. It's all 4koma, but each chapter is part of the same theme, but different POV's if that makes sense. The Christmas Chapter for instance was them prepping as well as the event itself with each 4koma being a different prep moment, reaction, etc., if that makes sense. I'd say check it out and see for yourself on websites.

Yeah, I tried a couple issues and was just hopping it morphed down the line. 4koma just isn't my thing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nullsmack posted:

Humble Bundle has another Kodansha bundle up with the main manga, a slime diaries one, and some spinoff about him working in an office as a slime. There are a few other series in it too.

That office one is hilarious since it's Corporate Fat Bastard Veldora. Everyone is working as office drones yet are still entirely in character.

Gyges posted:

Yeah, I tried a couple issues and was just hopping it morphed down the line. 4koma just isn't my thing.

Yeah sorry man. This one's strictly 4koma.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 8, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

Forgot to mention, but you may want to give Trinity a try since that's regular format.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Yeah, I was hopping that they would use trinity to expand the series instead of diaries. At least have them show up as bit characters.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

Yeah, I was hopping that they would use trinity to expand the series instead of diaries. At least have them show up as bit characters.

Funny thing is, the characters from Trinity manga show frequently as background characters as well as references to some events from one or the other.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really liked Trinity's take on the Falmas invasion too. Really made it feel like more than the tragedy of Shion, Gobta's buddy, and some mooks.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gyges posted:

I really liked Trinity's take on the Falmas invasion too. Really made it feel like more than the tragedy of Shion, Gobta's buddy, and some mooks.

Same. There was something just more hurtful in seeing it play out like that as well as Foss's reaction since she looked and felt so ashamed about breaking the "Do not hurt humans" rule and have be all for nothing in the end.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder why Slime Diaries has better animation than the main show.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Well this was super cool and wholesome.

Grouchio posted:

I wonder why Slime Diaries has better animation than the main show.

Less action oriented? This was brought up on Reddit as well.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

If I didn't just read the manga the character designs would've thrown me off. All of them are better, except Gobuzo and Shion, so I don't mind.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Slime Diaries is very good, y'all

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I don't know, I'm not really vibing with it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Sales numbers for the recent volume of the LN.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TenseiSlime/comments/mrt6e4/the_total_sales_for_march_2021_is_138634/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Can't believe the wholesome slime show just did an Eclipse

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

grate deceiver posted:

Can't believe the wholesome slime show just did an Eclipse

Funny. That's actually how I describe it to some people. Mind you it's less brutal than in the Manga and LN.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
So I've been following just the anime, where the diaries are fun as hell and the next season picks up. Apparently Rimiru gets drat near omnipotence, is that right?

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 20, 2021

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ssssssooorrt of... When the normal season picks back up he's likely going to be flexing some real power, but it's also around that point where, in the LNs at least, it feels like the video game genre that powers the world isn't so much JRPG as it is Civ.

Becoming a Demon Lord puts him in a new political arena where things aren't going to be easily solved by being an all powerful punch-lord. There's still plenty of that, but there's also a lot of international stuff (and Rimuru being a huge nerd).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

The Islamic Shock posted:

So I've been following just the anime, where the diaries are fun as hell and the next season picks up. Apparently Rimiru gets drat near omnipotence, is that right?

Yes and no. Like 8one6 said, things go from JRPG to Civil in terms of how the world works as well as a number of characters that can VERY MUCH flex equally as hard on Rimuru in terms of power(and beyond as well) start to make their appearance. It's like how after you beat the Disk 1 Final Boss and feel like the Big Shot only to then realise that you still have another Disk or two.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Islamic Shock posted:

Once the arc where he becomes a Demon Lord is complete, he's a top tier personal power on an individual level. Like, he was playing amateur level until the Orc Disaster, now he's semi-pro, and once he gets his official I'm A Demon Lord decoder ring he'll be in the pros. Still not an All-Star or anything, but he is at least a starter.

His main issues are around the fact that Jura Forest isn't really a super power or anything, and he does have to make sure his strategic honey reserves are topped off to avert a wild Milim level disaster.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

8one6 posted:

Ssssssooorrt of... When the normal season picks back up he's likely going to be flexing some real power, but it's also around that point where, in the LNs at least, it feels like the video game genre that powers the world isn't so much JRPG as it is Civ.

Becoming a Demon Lord puts him in a new political arena where things aren't going to be easily solved by being an all powerful punch-lord. There's still plenty of that, but there's also a lot of international stuff (and Rimuru being a huge nerd).

Wouldn't Actraiser be a more apt comparison?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Lurking Haro posted:

Wouldn't Actraiser be a more apt comparison?

I wish we'd gotten more games like Actraiser tbh.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Accidentally made double post? Weird.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I started rereading the manga as a break between trashy sci-fi novels but this time with the Veldora short stories from the volume and it actually puts a lot of stuff in context. Like how RImuru gets the power to name monsters by constantly rolling Veldora for MP.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Geld really is best Orc Dad/Monster Dad.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

The very best part of Slime Diaries is how much Ranga hates the fireworks in the OP.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
New Chapter is out.

https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/OW9BLZ7/1/3/

Not my group, but a different one. Their translations are very solid though.

Edit: Here's the translation from the usual group.

https://cubari.moe/read/gist/JYC2r/83/1/

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 26, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Today was the obligatory beach episode which also added Souka to the running for Best Girl as well as Benimaru and Gabil bonding over their Oni-san roles.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, this show is back? Neat.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So with a bunch of people saying slime is very similar to So I'm a Spider, So what? I figured I'd give it a shot. Got caught up through season 2 today, though haven't started diaries. Overall I'd say I enjoy it. The animation quality is certainly more consistent than Spider, that's for sure.

Our sloshy boy really powered up huh? He was already basically top dog and was just committing war crimes in the last couple of episodes, but now is something like 10x stronger? What's even going to be a challenge for him now?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's definitely true that Slime isn't nearly as good as Spider at constructing situations where main characters appear to be in real danger, but there are other people in the setting who hold ultimate skills on the same level as Raphael and can threaten Rimuru.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

So with a bunch of people saying slime is very similar to So I'm a Spider, So what? I figured I'd give it a shot. Got caught up through season 2 today, though haven't started diaries. Overall I'd say I enjoy it. The animation quality is certainly more consistent than Spider, that's for sure.

Our sloshy boy really powered up huh? He was already basically top dog and was just committing war crimes in the last couple of episodes, but now is something like 10x stronger? What's even going to be a challenge for him now?

Is it really War Crimes though if they were gonna War Crimes you as well as colonize and possibly genocide you and your people?

To answer that second point, it wasn't as well fleshed out on the anime, but the LN and Manga make it clear that he IS stronger, but there are people that can take him and quite comfortably at that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

Is it really War Crimes though if they were gonna War Crimes you as well as colonize and possibly genocide you and your people?

To answer that second point, it wasn't as well fleshed out on the anime, but the LN and Manga make it clear that he IS stronger, but there are people that can take him and quite comfortably at that.

His ruthless skill is like literally the definition of a war crime since it relies on you killing surrendering opponents.

It's pretty clear there's different levels of demon lords, given how one trounced another in the finale. Rimuru did kill like 2x as many human for his ascension as Milim did to become a DL, at least if the story is true, so he might be more powerful than her if that translates into more post ascension power.

I kind of expected Veldora to be the dragon she revived as part of her ascension as well. He was locked away like the story said, but then again, he was never a wild beast with no soul.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's pretty clear there's different levels of demon lords, given how one trounced another in the finale. Rimuru did kill like 2x as many human for his ascension as Milim did to become a DL, at least if the story is true, so he might be more powerful than her if that translates into more post ascension power.
Novels: Oho no. No no no. Milim at full power is basically the most powerful thing alive at this point. Rimuru is still way behind that.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

His ruthless skill is like literally the definition of a war crime since it relies on you killing surrendering opponents.

I kind of expected Veldora to be the dragon she revived as part of her ascension as well. He was locked away like the story said, but then again, he was never a wild beast with no soul.

It was a joke. To follow up on Grouchio, Rimuru killed x2 the amount he needed, but Milim had killed huge chunks of people in her blind rage. The dragon she revived wasn't Veldora who is actually her uncle(youngest of all True Dragons) and yeah she's LITERALLY one of the most powerful beings in the setting. There ARE people who could fight her, but it literally has no upside so they just let her do as she wants while giving her a wide berth.

Edit: With regards to Demon Lords it's basically split into two categories, Proclaimed and True. Proclaimed Demon Lords are simply individuals who happen to he powerful enough to be allowed membership into the Demon Lord Council often through recommendations by and already established member or great distinction and prowess in combat. True Demon Lords are powerful beings who have performed the Harvest Festival ritual or ascended into acquiring an Ultimate Skill or both.

Think Berserk and the difference between being a powerful demon and being an actual Apostle or Godhand.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 5, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

Edit: With regards to Demon Lords it's basically split into two categories, Proclaimed and True. Proclaimed Demon Lords are simply individuals who happen to he powerful enough to be allowed membership into the Demon Lord Council often through recommendations by and already established member or great distinction and prowess in combat. True Demon Lords are powerful beings who have performed the Harvest Festival ritual or ascended into acquiring an Ultimate Skill or both.

Think Berserk and the difference between being a powerful demon and being an actual Apostle or Godhand.

Never seen Berserk, but I'll take it to mean a bunch of them have honorary doctorates while you have the people who REALLY earned their degrees getting tenure.

Not sure why the trio of demons showed up. That kinda seemed like an rear end pull tbh.

What is Raphael exactly? An AI? Is this something that will be revealed later?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

Never seen Berserk, but I'll take it to mean a bunch of them have honorary doctorates while you have the people who REALLY earned their degrees getting tenure.

Not sure why the trio of demons showed up. That kinda seemed like an rear end pull tbh.

What is Raphael exactly? An AI? Is this something that will be revealed later?

That's actually not a bad way of putting it yeah.

The Trio of Demons showed up answering Rimuru's summon. It's an assault since the anime committee still hosed up and skipped some stuff. Some political world building and character moments when Rimuru travels to Blumund with the Adventure Trio to sign a treaty with the king. Part of it is him actually joining the guild under a pseudonym and passing with rank which included killing a summoned lesser demon. It's there where he learns how to summon them.

The stuff with Raphael gets explained MUCH later.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Are the LN’s something you can pickup from where the anime left off, or was enough story critical stuff left out that one should start from the beginning? Having slogged through Spider’s early LN’s with its enormous stat blocks and endless grinding, I really wouldn’t want to repeat the experience, especially if I know more interesting things are coming later.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are the LN’s something you can pickup from where the anime left off, or was enough story critical stuff left out that one should start from the beginning? Having slogged through Spider’s early LN’s with its enormous stat blocks and endless grinding, I really wouldn’t want to repeat the experience, especially if I know more interesting things are coming later.

I do strongly recommend picking them up, but between them manga and the Diaries spinoff you should be ok if you wanna go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can pick up the LNs from where a season stops and be fine, but I'd also recommend reading from the beginning because
1) I'm a nerd and like books
2) there are a lot of details that the anime glosses over or skips entirely.