Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PinheadSlim posted:

I dunno about Tuc and Burb but how does everyone feel about Big Mouth?

I don't think I'll ever watch even one episode and that has never felt like a mistake to me but maybe I'm wrong

I liked the first two seasons but by the third it's just too much imo. (I think the third, whatever the current one is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's very good. It's also very ugly. Which if you point it out is like "xbox hueg"

Like yes it is intentional. Because given the subject matter it would be really gross if it were easy to look at.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It's very good. It's also very ugly. Which if you point it out is like "xbox hueg"

Like yes it is intentional. Because given the subject matter it would be really gross if it were easy to look at.

Yeah, this is me. I want to like it but it's so eye-searingly ugly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

I dunno about Tuc and Burb but how does everyone feel about Big Mouth?

I don't think I'll ever watch even one episode and that has never felt like a mistake to me but maybe I'm wrong

It's a very strange show

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would say push through it, because it's hella funny and the performances are great (especially Maya Rudolph). It revels in making you feel uncomfortable and pushing the "whoa can they DO that??" limits, but the heart is consistently in the right place unlike say South Park.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I’m torn on Big Mouth. On one hand it does have some heart and it is genuinely very funny at times. On the other hand it does, very often, veer into “mean spirited for the sake of it” territory. Also, while I know it’s the point, the sexual content is overbearing in a “this is clearly intended to seem edgy to middle schoolers” way.

Jay and Lola are loving wretched characters and the show would only improve if they were erased entirely. Their personalities are bad enough but then they both have awful, awful voices. For some reason the show keeps giving them more and more screen time and even paired them together in the most recent season.

But despite all these complaints I still eagerly watch every season, so I dunno. It’s worth powering through.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

my dad made me watch two episodes from the large mouth show and I found it utterly disgusting and profoundly dumb, but your mileage may vary

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Big Mouth wasn't bad but I hated that coach character more than anything I liked in the show, so I stopped watching it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

Big Mouth wasn't bad but I hated that coach character more than anything I liked in the show, so I stopped watching it.

Yeah he was nearly unbearable in the second season but it appears the writers heard and appreciated the feedback because he's sidelined beyond that.

Overall I like Big Mouth. It can definitely be too much at times but I appreciate that it's generally not too mean spirited. I hate the modern animation trend of characters that are constantly cruel to one another for easy laughs.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ugh, yeah Coach Steve can take a walk. McGuirk he ain’t

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I've been convinced to try it later tonight, I will give it the best shot possible by being high and drunk

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

There is probably some funny stuff in Big Mouth but it felt incredibly try-hard.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Coach Steve sucks but "Sex on a Lady" was a great musical number.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Yeah he was nearly unbearable in the second season but it appears the writers heard and appreciated the feedback because he's sidelined beyond that.

Overall I like Big Mouth. It can definitely be too much at times but I appreciate that it's generally not too mean spirited. I hate the modern animation trend of characters that are constantly cruel to one another for easy laughs.

See I feel like it is pretty mean-spirited, though. It's just that much of it is said through Maury and the other hormone monsters. And then you have Lola, whose entire character is "lol aren't fat girls gross/loud/dumb/annoying??"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

womb with a view posted:

I'll say the same thing I did last time Depression Horse came up: Moral Orel did it better

Everyone go watch Moral Orel.

I think Bojak is a real good show, but Holy poo poo is Moral Orel fantastic. Admittedly it too takes a little bit to find its footing, with much of the first season coming off like early 2000s edgy adult cartoon (which it was) but the episodes are short and it all sets up for later stuff. That being said the early stuff isn't bad, I'd certainly much rather watch early Orel than early Bojak. Once it gets going though it's phenomenal and hits the same depressing lows/heights that Bojak does, only with much tighter pacing and with arguably more relatable characters since they're all just normal families rather than big rich celebrities.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Moral Orel season 3 is best and least funny “comedy” you will ever watch

The episode with Clay in the bar just basically going on one long, seething, hateful rant is amazing and exhausting

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've been torturing myself by watching recent simpsons episodes late at night while I'm waiting to get tired and the cletus episode hit a new all time high for offensively stupid.
I don't know why I keep doing it, it's a curiosity more than anything. There was one ok joke in the episode but the actual plot and everything around it was dire.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I dunno if I could do that. Based on the plot synopsises posted here I feel like I'd get too mad to fall asleep, but from the last time I watched NuSimpsons, it's so bland and lifeless that it's impossible to experience an emotion of any kind.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

The episode with Clay in the bar just basically going on one long, seething, hateful rant is amazing and exhausting

I wish Dino Stamatopoulos would do more animated shows. Moral Orel was brilliant and Frankenhole was criminally underrated.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Calico Heart posted:

The character animator won an Annie for that episode. She definitely deserved it, being able to match that voice acting with cute little puppets and making it feel just as real and uncomfortable.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Moral Orel is neat, seems to follow that weird trajectory of "first season is a bunch of cheap jokes on the shows premise, later seasons are more serious and heavy now that they've got the dumb yucks out of their system" trajectory a fair number of adult cartoons take.

The followup show, Frankenhole, almost had that trajectory, but Dino Stamatopolous had some weird ideas about time for the series, so nothing really builds.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I’m watching an episode from season 11 and it’s cringe-inducingly bad. I went in thinking it just wouldn’t be as funny as a golden-years episode but it’s awful, how the gently caress are there 20 more seasons of this show???

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Calico Heart posted:

I’m watching an episode from season 11 and it’s cringe-inducingly bad. I went in thinking it just wouldn’t be as funny as a golden-years episode but it’s awful, how the gently caress are there 20 more seasons of this show???

I've got to know which episode. I don't watch past season 9 myself

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Calico Heart posted:

There was a sharp decline season over season from 8 through 12/13, with the sharpest dropoff happening from 9 to 10 (or 10 to 11 depending on who you ask). I assume it kept getting worse after that but I wasn't watching anymore. Every time I've played Simpsons Roulette and watched a later episode, it's been anywhere from "not funny" to "comedy cyanide" with the exception of some of the THOH episodes that managed to be kind of okay.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I honestly can't remember the episode, but in my last full series rewatch i made a literal post-it note that in season 8, the very first self-aware joke about how they were running out of ideas happens. There are solid episodes for seasons afterwards, but you can pinpoint the precise moment its heart rips in half.

actually hell looking at the episodes in season 8 the back-half is ALL the episodes where they started getting weird with it on purpose. spin-off showcase, homer's enemy, you only move twice, itchy scratchy and poochie,

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 9, 2021

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Calico Heart posted:

A couple of days ago, Frink’s “hamburger earmuffs” popped into my head and I was thinking it was a solid bit from season 7 or 8.

It was from Wizard of Evergreen Terrace from season 10 :psyduck: although that episode was a holdover from season 9 and was just merely okay. Not like the garbage that followed it. Three episodes later was the Kim Basinger/Alec Baldwin episode that was the first time I actually thought, “that was utter loving stupid poo poo.”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I mean, The Simpsons couldn’t even make it out of the ‘90s without it making GBS threads itself, and now here we are in the second decade after the ‘90s and it’s still on the air.

:lol::lol::lol:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Those Scully-era episodes gradually get worse as they tried more and more to be mean spirted and edgy. But, in their defense, they at least are memorable, or have memorable moments that have stuck with us, and plots that don't feel like they were written by algorithms. If the show had actually ended around season 11 or 12 it would have at least still died a mostly dignified death.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You Are A Elf posted:

Three episodes later was the Kim Basinger/Alec Baldwin episode

Simpsons will probably be the first show in existence to have fans of the whatever is the latest series go back and watch the earlier seasons and go 'who the gently caress are they?' to the celeb cameos.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not counting like, Scooby-Doo

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Data Graham posted:

Not counting like, Scooby-Doo

Kids be like, “who the gently caress are Sandy Duncan and Davy Jones? Like... the character from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies?”

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

You Are A Elf posted:

It was from Wizard of Evergreen Terrace from season 10 :psyduck: although that episode was a holdover from season 9 and was just merely okay. Not like the garbage that followed it. Three episodes later was the Kim Basinger/Alec Baldwin episode that was the first time I actually thought, “that was utter loving stupid poo poo.”
Ha, I was quite young still when this aired, but I recall having a similar reaction. It jarred me into a "wait, the Simpsons can be... bad?" realization that tree following seasons only reinforced. Unfortunately, the rest of my family never had the same and I'm likely to be subjected to an episode from the later seasons whenever I visit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

You Are A Elf posted:

I mean, The Simpsons couldn’t even make it out of the ‘90s without it making GBS threads itself, and now here we are in the second decade after the ‘90s and it’s still on the air.

:lol::lol::lol:

Third

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

FlocksOfMice posted:

I honestly can't remember the episode, but in my last full series rewatch i made a literal post-it note that in season 8, the very first self-aware joke about how they were running out of ideas happens. There are solid episodes for seasons afterwards, but you can pinpoint the precise moment its heart rips in half.

actually hell looking at the episodes in season 8 the back-half is ALL the episodes where they started getting weird with it on purpose. spin-off showcase, homer's enemy, you only move twice, itchy scratchy and poochie,

What about season 7 episode 7 king size homer, marge being self aware

"Normally your father's crackpot schemes fizzle out as soon as he finds something good on TV. But this season…"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Muk Dumpster posted:

What about season 7 episode 7 king size homer, marge being self aware

"Normally your father's crackpot schemes fizzle out as soon as he finds something good on TV. But this season…"

Huh, this is the first time I ever read that as a meta quote, but I guess it's definitely open to that interpretation. Still, that's infinitely more subtle than what comes a couple seasons later

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I always read that as "this season" referring to the low quality of whatever Homer was watching. TV shows used to be more aligned with releasing new episodes and taking the summer off. The networks still kind of do this.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

The episode was about Lisa tap dancing, and it was one I actually remembered enjoying from my childhood.

What hit me was that despite being only two seasons after what I consider the last good season, it was chocked-full of what I consider post season-20-level desperation. Repeated jokes. Characters looking at the camera and rolling their eyes just so you know there’s been a joke. Background characters like Professor Frink showing up 17 minutes into the episode and providing crucial plot development. Stiff and lifeless animation.

It honestly makes me think that rather than the show simply getting tired, it got tired and switched hands to different creators with way worse senses of humour. I don’t know how else to explain that the show isn’t just not funny, but has been unfunny in the same way for 20 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Simpsons will probably be the first show in existence to have fans of the whatever is the latest series go back and watch the earlier seasons and go 'who the gently caress are they?' to the celeb cameos.

Unless they ever make a reboot of The Muppet Show stick.