Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: BAGS FLY AT NOON)
Are you a rad suburban dad
No im a city slicker
yes i am a rad suburban dad
goku
Derpies Tuglord
View Results

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Smugworth posted:

I saw a picture of someone who had prickly pear cactus lining their sidewalk, covered in snow, purportedly in the Twin Cities Minnesota. Life, uh, finds a way.

Nothing should be forced to live in Minnesota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You're on the list buddy. Don't come swimming to Minnesota when whatever cursed wasteland you're from begins to boil or sink into the ocean in the next decade.

Buy a snorkel and some sunscreen. You will NOT be allowed entrance, or given tater tot hotdish.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I thought I remember you posting you lived somewhere that gets cold. They can't take it if it gets too cold and they will die if they get too much water.

Yeah you’re right. Connecticut so hot and humid as hell for 6 months and a frozen wasteland for the other 6. What’s something hardy that I could plant there?

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Yeah you’re right. Connecticut so hot and humid as hell for 6 months and a frozen wasteland for the other 6. What’s something hardy that I could plant there?

No clue. I live in a barren desert wasteland.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

No clue. I live in a barren desert wasteland.

:twisted:

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

:shobon:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Where's the thread for us Urban Living dads who never mow the lawn, filter pool water or clean the grill cuz the apartment building staff take care of all of that and the home appliances as well?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Dunno. Maybe you can take an Uber to find it.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Dunno. Maybe you can take an Uber to find it.

I'll call the concierge and ask.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Where's the thread for us Urban Living dads who never mow the lawn, filter pool water or clean the grill cuz the apartment building staff take care of all of that and the home appliances as well?

*Cocks his Switch controller*

Back where ya came from stranger

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Time to pull out the hose and start washing those cars and trucks fellas.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Time to pull out the hose and start washing those cars and trucks fellas.

This isn't the Trump Dad Over leveraged to a 90k F 150 thread, we drive subarus here.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Derpies posted:

This isn't the Trump Dad Over leveraged to a 90k F 150 thread, we drive subarus here.

Then make that Subaru shine

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Then make that Subaru shine

Turtle wax for days gonna blind my neighbors I hate

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Catmint. I live in CT too. This stuff is hella trendy. It's pretty, it's easy to grow, and works well in New England's lovely climate. Once you start looking for it you'll see it everywhere.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Thrifty dads keep that 2008 Toyota Camry going as long as possible. It's been paid off for three years already!

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

It feels pretty drat good to not have a car payment.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I packed 4 kinds of smoked meat into the box my chainsaw came in and drove them in my Honda Odyssey to a festive family gathering where I wore a loud shirt and black socks

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Wife's got a 2018, poor old dad (to be) driving the 2003 jalopy until the end of time

It's ok, at least I can impulse buy a tool or get a very expensive lawnmower once in awhile

(Had to buy a battery tender to keep the jalopy's battery topped off last winter since the office is closed, and you bet I got the premium two-outlet model :chord:)

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 8, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I've never had a car payment in my life, too scared of losing my job then losing the car. Instead I just get great deals on ebay for old pieces of poo poo

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Play posted:

I've never had a car payment in my life, too scared of losing my job then losing the car. Instead I just get great deals on ebay for old pieces of poo poo

That was me until a few years ago when I had the bright idea to finance a used car from the dealership for a few years to try and build my credit rating up before buying my first house. I'm not sure if it really had a positive effect or not but...

holy gently caress VA loans are great. They don't work for co-ops so I didn't bother trying to buy anything when I lived in NYC, also they're useless for condos unless they're one of the few buildings on the VA-approved list, but when I took the plunge into suburban dad-hood I was able to get a decent single family home a mile from the train station for next to nothing, weeks before COVID hit, and it costs less than my rent did before. I had almost given up house hunting but then I guess I hit the jackpot when it comes to good timing. Anyway there's my suburban dad origin story ps then I bought a bass and joined a band

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I packed 4 kinds of smoked meat into the box my chainsaw came in and drove them in my Honda Odyssey to a festive family gathering where I wore a loud shirt and black socks

You are a Suburban Dad.

bees everywhere posted:

That was me until a few years ago when I had the bright idea to finance a used car from the dealership for a few years to try and build my credit rating up before buying my first house. I'm not sure if it really had a positive effect or not but...

holy gently caress VA loans are great. They don't work for co-ops so I didn't bother trying to buy anything when I lived in NYC, also they're useless for condos unless they're one of the few buildings on the VA-approved list, but when I took the plunge into suburban dad-hood I was able to get a decent single family home a mile from the train station for next to nothing, weeks before COVID hit, and it costs less than my rent did before. I had almost given up house hunting but then I guess I hit the jackpot when it comes to good timing. Anyway there's my suburban dad origin story ps then I bought a bass and joined a band

We grant you a seat on the Suburban Dad council, but we do NOt grant you the rank of Jimmy Buffet Cover Band Dad

drk
Jan 16, 2005
trap sprung

Suburban dads, recommend me some charcoal to use in a crappy weber grill. Grocery store / home depot stuff is often terrible

edit: or did I just not consume enough barely cold domestic light beer

drk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 8, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Buddy of mine just rented cars for two years. Cost him less than gas insurance, up keep, and parking. He made a deal with some rental place and would get a new car every 45 days.

drk posted:

trap sprung

Suburban dads, recommend me some charcoal to use in a crappy weber grill. Grocery store / home depot stuff is often terrible

Just get natural lump and say away from Kingsford cheap briquettes. Buy some fire starters or get a chimney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHEnD-hmH4Y

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

drk posted:

trap sprung

I picked up a bag of Humphries since it was all the garden supply store had and I was pissed off at first because it was taking loving forever to come to a smolder in the chimney but then I dumped it in the grill and within 5 minutes it was up to over 700 degrees. Two hours later my cooking was all done and it was still hovering at 400 so now I just use half a chimney’s worth.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Thanks, thats actually pretty useful advice.

Supposedly the nearest place to me with lump charcoal is here, should I go:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

drk posted:

Not only should you go but we should tile this as the background to the thread

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I need to try something besides basic kingsford original. Sometimes when I've been grilling all evening, I feel like all I can taste is sooty charcoal smoke, even after a change of clothes. Weirds me out.

The food is loving great though.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

drk posted:

Did you get the BUTT RUB

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Did you get the BUTT RUB

U cant be a suburban dad without one BUTT RUB in ur cupboard

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

drk posted:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

What the tug

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://i.imgur.com/L9jSOqQ.gifv

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.
How did you rad dads survive newborns?

Because I'm 6 weeks in and I seriously want to kill myself.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Can I refer you to the last page re: gin

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Brewmaster posted:

Glad I have something to look forward to in 6 months

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

Glad I have something to look forward to in 6 months

Why wait, gin is available now!

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Brewmaster posted:

Honestly I don't know lol. Life finds a way.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Brewmaster posted:

Smooth seas don't make strong sailors. Or something like that, I'm trying to be supportive.

Also: TODAY'S THE DAY BOYS, MULCH ON SALE FIVE FOR TEN BUX AT HOME DEPOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I'm supposed to put some benches together or something, I will probably just drink beer I'm ok with the wife being the handy one in the house while I do the grillin.