Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is there any way to get the random world bounties to scale back down? Most are rather out of my league or would be Pyrrhic victories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
OK.
I surrender.
What do I have to change in the config to limit the number of enemy officers?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So there should be 13 new weapons introduced in 0.95a.

In my game, having cleared out both Coronal Hypershunts, I found ten of them, so the distribution must be at least semi-random (which is annoying; only finding out after you've beaten everything there is to see that you don't have enough Rift Lances to complete the loadout of your dreams is pretty obnoxious), and the wiki is incomplete but lists one more that didn't drop for me. I need help determining what the other two are.

My list is:
Antimatter SRM Launcher
Cryoblaster
Cryoflamer
Disintegrator
Minipulser
Reality Disruptor
Resonator MRM Launcher
Rift Lance
Rift Torpedo Launcher
Shock Repeater
Volatile Particle Driver

Also I would like to make a minimod that makes it so that the Tesseract encounters drop blueprints instead of / in addition to the weapons as loot but I have no idea where to even start. I've made a few incredibly basic ship tweaks in the past but I've never done any encounter / loot modding.

Does the 13 new weapons include the commonly available "breach SRM"and "breach SRM pod" missiles?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Flavahbeast posted:

I haven't confirmed this myself but according to a reddit comment if you develop a high level Tri Tach contact they can give you bounties for tesseracts

oh poo poo that's much better than my idea, thanks for the heads-up

Smiling Demon posted:

Does the 13 new weapons include the commonly available "breach SRM"and "breach SRM pod" missiles?

evidently not

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also not to necessarily defend the current officer-based deployment limit system, but: there is an in-game solution that makes fights against bullshit endgame fleets much more manageable.

put ECM systems on your ships. being outnumbered is a non-issue with good fittings and good piloting from the player, the problem, and the thing that makes those fights miserable, is being outranged

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also not to necessarily defend the current officer-based deployment limit system, but: there is an in-game solution that makes fights against bullshit endgame fleets much more manageable.

put ECM systems on your ships. being outnumbered is a non-issue with good fittings and good piloting from the player, the problem, and the thing that makes those fights miserable, is being outranged

Right, and being outranged was the thing that made me ask. Being outnumbered has always been an interesting challenge, and one I've become used to j previous versions.

The in-game solutions to ECM really force me to play in ways I dislike - either all super fast ships that can close to any range, or all ECM ships which can frequently compromise either their intended function or my story point reserves.
I'd much rather just tweak a number and get on with my game, but I'm not sure which one. Just get the game to declare a truce - standard max officer on each side. They could even have 1.5x if it helps balance. Just not the current mess.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Amy tips for running a phase-heavy fleet? It runs counter to my usual instincts of throwing armored rocks/hordes of bombers at every and any problem.

The phase corps skill encourages still keeping mostly regular warships with just a handful of phase ships. In my .95 run I kept it at 3, one for myself and then two officers.

Short range weapons with high burst damage like the anitmatter blaster and phase lance are ideal weapons. Hardened subsystems, heavy armor, and resistant flux conduits are always good hullmod choices. Aside from the two phase-specific skills, energy weapon mastery and systems expertise are very strong picks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Phase Corps skill is already really underwhelming even on its own merits, and then on top of that it's opposite a) one of the best skills in the game and b) one that gives an extremely similar benefit but without the stupidly low limit and also everyone in the fleet gets it. :shepface:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 9, 2021

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
any must have mods for the newest patch for a brand new player? I've owned this for a million years and every time there is a new patch I say 'oh next big patch I'll get into it..." but I feel like now the time has finally arrived.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

any must have mods for the newest patch for a brand new player? I've owned this for a million years and every time there is a new patch I say 'oh next big patch I'll get into it..." but I feel like now the time has finally arrived.

I play a nearly-vanilla game but the target leading pip indicator mod and "transfer all items" are indispensable.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Atopian posted:

Right, and being outranged was the thing that made me ask. Being outnumbered has always been an interesting challenge, and one I've become used to j previous versions.

The in-game solutions to ECM really force me to play in ways I dislike - either all super fast ships that can close to any range, or all ECM ships which can frequently compromise either their intended function or my story point reserves.
I'd much rather just tweak a number and get on with my game, but I'm not sure which one. Just get the game to declare a truce - standard max officer on each side. They could even have 1.5x if it helps balance. Just not the current mess.

At least in my opinion the speed of your fleet is always the way to go because they can choose engagements. Having a fleet that is mostly slow is just not worth it at all. You either need range or speed, at least in my opinion. Ideal is both.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Atopian posted:

OK.
I surrender.
What do I have to change in the config to limit the number of enemy officers?

there's a block around line 600 or so that starts with "officerMaxLevel". Notable inclusions seem to be "officerAIMax", which defaults to 10 (The max number a player can have with a particular skill).

The problem seems to come from the bit about mercs, which i'll just copy/paste here
code:
"officerAIMaxMercsMult":2, # maximum "over-the-limit" merc-type officers that can be added to an AI fleet, times doctrine officer setting
"officerAIMercsStartingFP":100, # start adding more "merc" officers at this threshold
I think what's happening is the multiplier being set way too high. you could try setting it to zero, or bump up the StartingFP to increase the threshold before the AI starts using mercs

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I play a nearly-vanilla game but the target leading pip indicator mod and "transfer all items" are indispensable.

Autosave is also pretty helpful

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

warhammer651 posted:

there's a block around line 600 or so that starts with "officerMaxLevel". Notable inclusions seem to be "officerAIMax", which defaults to 10 (The max number a player can have with a particular skill).

The problem seems to come from the bit about mercs, which i'll just copy/paste here
code:
"officerAIMaxMercsMult":2, # maximum "over-the-limit" merc-type officers that can be added to an AI fleet, times doctrine officer setting
"officerAIMercsStartingFP":100, # start adding more "merc" officers at this threshold
I think what's happening is the multiplier being set way too high. you could try setting it to zero, or bump up the StartingFP to increase the threshold before the AI starts using mercs

Ah, thanks. Pleasing that the variables were left exposed like that, means that a bit of trial and error should sort it out.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I love this game, but I also love how easily you can tailor it to your own tastes with just Notepad.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What's a good fit for an AI-piloted Aurora? Heavy Blasters?

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
If I sell all my duplicate blueprints to the open market at my own faction, who gets to use them? No one? Independents? ...Pirates? :ohdear:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

What's a good fit for an AI-piloted Aurora? Heavy Blasters?

I usually give pulse lasers or ion pulsars to AI rather than blasters (assuming I'm not giving them beams). The AI seems to get skittish with high flux-per-shot weapons and hold off from shooting.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

The question is redundant because your course of action should always be:

i) make money killing pirates
ii) set up colonies so you don't need money
iii) befriend pirates
iv) sell all spare blueprints to pirates
v) cackle as super-pirates chain-raid the assholes who have been sending expeditions against you since ii).

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Brandfarlig posted:

There's a beta version of nexerelin on the discord by the way. Haven't noticed any bugs so far except for some bugged bar quests and I can't be sure that's from nex.

drat, you're right. Don't suppose you know of a secret brdy beta somewhere too?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Is there any benefit to partially fufilling your own colony's demands? If my colonies all want 4-5 fuel and I'm only producing 2, does that still lower import expenses?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So there should be 13 new weapons introduced in 0.95a.

In my game, having cleared out both Coronal Hypershunts, I found ten of them, so the distribution must be at least semi-random (which is annoying; only finding out after you've beaten everything there is to see that you don't have enough Rift Lances to complete the loadout of your dreams is pretty obnoxious), and the wiki is incomplete but lists one more that didn't drop for me. I need help determining what the other two are.

My list is:
Antimatter SRM Launcher
Cryoblaster
Cryoflamer
Disintegrator
Minipulser
Reality Disruptor
Resonator MRM Launcher
Rift Lance
Rift Torpedo Launcher
Shock Repeater
Volatile Particle Driver

Also I would like to make a minimod that makes it so that the Tesseract encounters drop blueprints instead of / in addition to the weapons as loot but I have no idea where to even start. I've made a few incredibly basic ship tweaks in the past but I've never done any encounter / loot modding.

Did you find the container in the alpha-site? It has a few of those and it's fairly out of the way for some weird reason (it's roughly north-east of the planet). Also for those running with mods, prism freeport occasionally sells that stuff for now, however be prepared to pay 2 mil credits for some of them. :v:

edit: Just found out that IBBs at the moment also spawn with a large fleet rather than just the targets + a couple other ships. Having Francis Buttler be a challenge for my 4 cruiser fleet wasn't something I was expecting.

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 9, 2021

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Dee Ehm posted:

If I sell all my duplicate blueprints to the open market at my own faction, who gets to use them? No one? Independents? ...Pirates? :ohdear:

They will just sit there, if you sell them on the black market pirates start using them.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Sandweed posted:

They will just sit there, if you sell them on the black market pirates start using them cleaning up the sector.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I suddenly have the urge to set my current game aside for a bit and play a game where I only use Lowtech family ships, or maybe Midline. Probably Lowtech though.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
"This is it", I said. "After five years, THIS will finally be my low tech run! gently caress yeah!"

:mad:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd always suggest restored Luddic Path ships for an initial foray into lowtech. They're good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsIfsEh72aw

e: I've never done anything like the video above, but I've absolutely annihilated Remnant fleets with just swarms of LP Cerberus ships backed by a few LP Brawlers. And that's BEFORE the ridiculously powerful frigate boosting skills and inbuilt hullmods that you can do in this version.

my dad fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 9, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Mondian posted:

drat, you're right. Don't suppose you know of a secret brdy beta somewhere too?

Sadly, no. It'd be on discord if anywhere.

Also yeah officers deciding your deployment points seems like an unusual mistake from Alex and co. I'm sick of having minimum points against a raiding fleet of destroyers and frigates because they get to jam 30 loving officers in their fleet. It'd be nice if the AI actually respected new game rules instead of cheating.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

They are probably going to fix it at some point, or moders will. Right now the fix is to have a few hyperions to blitz the cap points so you can field more ships.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Or kill a staggering amount of ships with your Paragon or Caliph, even. I can't field more than 160 points because the enemy has 20 loving lashers with officers? Whatever.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the fix is to go into settings.json and raise the officer cap for yourself and the AI to 30 and disable the AI from going over it

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
https://i.imgur.com/mhqM1xN.gifv
:whitewater:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
oops

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is there any benefit to partially fufilling your own colony's demands? If my colonies all want 4-5 fuel and I'm only producing 2, does that still lower import expenses?

I don't think it does. Of course you're still making cash from the fuel you are producing.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

That's what a frigate gets for getting in the way of a capital. Don't get in the way of guns that are bigger than your ship.

Though I just had an Aurora push my overloaded Paragon into the enemy lines when I was trying to back off. Sometimes the enemy MVP is your fleets AI.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't think it does. Of course you're still making cash from the fuel you are producing.
It reduces the upkeep on your planets:

Note the x0.53 multiplier on upkeep for supplying 93% of all needed good in-faction.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brandfarlig posted:

That's what a frigate gets for getting in the way of a capital. Don't get in the way of guns that are bigger than your ship.

You really would hope it would learn the little bastards to stop but no, they all loving do it.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

OwlFancier posted:

You really would hope it would learn the little bastards to stop but no, they all loving do it.

Oh yeah, that's easily the worst part of piloting a Paragon or similar. Maybe don't block the ship with 4 large weapons and 2.2 k range. You will be treated as an asteroid.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That’s why you ram and overload their shields to use them as cue balls for station trickshots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

that one bag raiders song starts playing