Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Cozy Grove just released and looks cute and chill as hell. I'm still grooving on Dorf Romantik for my chill fix, but does anyone have any thoughts on Cozy Grove?
i've been playing it for a couple of weeks on apple arcade, let me give a quick rundown on how it compares to animal crossing

- real-time clock is the same between the two... you will eventually run out of tasks and will need to wait until the next day for new ones

- cozy grove starts you off with just one villager and you gain more as you feed your campfire Spirit Logs. spirit logs are gained by completing story quests for the different villagers. this generally just amounts to Where's Waldo, where items have been hidden around the village (sometimes in plain sight, sometimes in dirt/leaf piles) and you have to go find them. There's not a ton of variation here.

- in true Games Of This Fashion fashion, the amount of spirit logs needed to grow your campfire increases every time it levels up. my campfire is at level 10 i think, and it needs 20 logs to level up. there generally are 3-4 logs you can get in a day at most, as bears only have one quest per day and sometimes it is not a story quest but just a basic timed quest that'll give you a kind of cheap reward. sometimes they will have a story quest that will require you to have progressed through a different villager's story further, which means they'll basically be useless for a couple of days.

- you will get tools like the shovel, fishing rod, pickaxe, divining rod and machete. the fishing rod is the only one that doesn't break, while the others have durability and will need to be re-crafted ("repaired") to use them again. you can't craft simpler versions of tools either, once it upgrades you can't build a wooden shovel for example. this gets to be a bit of a pain when the ingredients for higher level tools involve things that are hard to come by. a second-level machete requires 2 silver ingots, which you can only get by mining the very few rocks on your island. if you don't get any silver ore from those rocks? too bad! you're stuck without that tool until tomorrow, and i mean actual tomorrow, because the game uses a real-time clock.

- fish and clams you can get are both seasonal and time-of-day based, so you can play at different times and get new fish. any new item you get can be donated to a sea captain bear who maintains a collection which is functionally the museum of the game. donating items will usually get you coins and quartz gemstones, which can be crafted up into semi-precious and precious stones for buying the fancier furniture/decorations. or you can recycle quartz gemstones for coins (and they're worth a decent amount).

- there's a general store where you can buy pets, decorative items, clothes, and a couple of ingredients. naturally some of this rotates. when you upgrade the store it will eventually also sell one spirit log a day. there is a merchant that stops by once a week who sells eggs and random pricey decorative items. there's a mayor who you can buy things from but they will take a day to deliver to your mailbox, and a baker who you can craft food recipes with but it'll take an hour.

- you have a tent but you can't go inside it. any decorating happens on the island itself. you also can't interact with any decorative items/furniture. you just place them and they look nice. some of them are themed and pets/plants will have affinities for certain furniture types (one might dislike rustic style, for example), and the higher affinity yields a larger harvest

- there are only three music tracks in the game and you will get sick of them quickly. find a podcast

- there's no time where the store is closed or bears are inaccessible. the conceit of the game is that they're ghosts, so they'll always have time for you.

my biggest problem with the game is just that there isn't enough to do. Animal Crossing solved this problem in New Horizons by having there just be a huge amount of options in the gameplay loop - a ton of crafting recipes, a ton of ways to harvest, easily repairable tools, a billion villagers to invite and meet, the dodo airlines islands, the photo mode island, sharing an island with other players, having multiple shops. Cozy Grove, being a game by a smaller studio (the developer of Road Not Taken), doesn't have the ambition or expansiveness of New Horizons and feels a lot more basic. I am still playing it, but I'm on day 20 and I'm maybe halfway through SOME villagers' questline progressions.

and you might think, "well that's not the point of these games", but Cozy Grove has NO multiplayer of any kind, and no way to share your island. so the only point of the game is to either really enjoy the basic gameplay loop, or to eventually unlock all the villagers and complete all their quests. and the latter is going to take a lot longer than the 40 hours they claim it'll take, just based on the randomness with which you will sometimes end up without certain tools for a period of time, or unable to complete quests.

e: i should also mention the villagers are fixed, the island is fixed, there's no "I got Grompfulgus on my island!" everyone has the same people. discovery is very limited.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For what it's worth.... Evil Genius 2 is actually pretty good. The only annoyance is you can only have one active side-story at a time, but the general game loop is a lot of fun, especially if you liked the original.

My favourite fix from the original is you no longer NEED a higher minion to train the lower type up, they can just use a training machine on their own. No more hunting on the world map for fresh Mercenaries or Guards after a Super Agent visit gets them all killed.

Yea that's what i got from the thread, and i'm fine with that. And that's really useful because god drat that was an annoying mechanic. And the reduction of number of things going on at a time is probably good for me because i tended to have like 5 plots going on and just getting so much heat where i ended up just blanketing my island with autoguns.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Looks like it is still -23% ($31) off at greenmangaming, for me at least.

Fantastic!

Someone was talking about Planet Coaster earlier and I realized I never played it even though I've owned it. I couldn't figure out how to put down the gate.

Also Nebuchadnezzar is on sale right now, has anyone given that a try?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Huh. The recent LP made it look moderately interesting, but inspired no desire to actually play through the game.

Cowcaster posted:

i will say that my experience having played through divinity original sin 2 twice start to finish is the game would be greatly improved by an "undo last move" button. or a way to plan a move and see ranges without having to commit to it.
BRB, kickstarting a DOSxIron Danger crossover.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some recent announcements:

The Free Radical 2004 ragdoll-em-up Second Sight is back on the store. It was delisted from Steam and GOG back in 2012, so it's been a few minutes since you could get it legally.

Streets of Rage 4 is getting some DLC, a year after its initial launch. Mr. X Nightmare adds a survival mode, character customization, three new playable characters, some banging new tunes by Tee Lopes, and the ability to brain a fucker with a swordfish.

DUSK 82 is part of a spate of April Fools jokes by New Blood that, surprise lol, turned out to all be real. It turns the Quake-style retro FPS from a few years back into an Atari-esque Chip's Challenge alike with a level editor.

Turbo Overkill is an FPS by the creator of this goddamn thing that plunges you into a low-poly cyberpunk world with a leg-chainsaw and an especially foul mood.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The Kins posted:

The Free Radical 2004 ragdoll-em-up Second Sight is back on the store. It was delisted from Steam and GOG back in 2012, so it's been a few minutes since you could get it legally.

Streets of Rage 4 is getting some DLC, a year after its initial launch. Mr. X Nightmare adds a survival mode, character customization, three new playable characters, some banging new tunes by Tee Lopes, and the ability to brain a fucker with a swordfish.

DUSK 82 is part of a spate of April Fools jokes by New Blood that, surprise lol, turned out to all be real. It turns the Quake-style retro FPS from a few years back into an Atari-esque Chip's Challenge alike with a level editor.

Turbo Overkill is an FPS by the creator of this goddamn thing that plunges you into a low-poly cyberpunk world with a leg-chainsaw and an especially foul mood.

holy poo poo I need Turbo Overkill

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i've been playing it for a couple of weeks on apple arcade, let me give a quick rundown on how it compares to animal crossing

Great review, even if it just makes me want to wait for a Cozy Grove 2.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The 7th Guest posted:

I appreciate this review and post, even if it sounds like it's not my type of game. Very much appreciate it!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

StrixNebulosa posted:

holy poo poo I need Turbo Overkill

I see cyberpunk lights and shooties

i wishlist

:downs:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

Turbo Overkill looks rad as hell.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Kins posted:

Oh dang. It's cyberpunk Quake 3, I'm sold.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I know most people prefer a higher FOV, but man the extreme fish-eye effect in the Turbo Overkill video really makes me nauseous. I guess I tend to glance at the edges of the screen more than most.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

Was EYE a fluke? Anyway, my money's on Darktide for 40k shooting.

I feel like we should be clear, and should have been for years now that EYE is a bad game. It's inscrutably designed, from the maps to the systems, most of the guns are not actually any good, even allowing for the translation the story doesn't make sense.

I love EYE because it's a nightmare morass of weird nonsense, but I think "Wait is Streum On actually bad at making games?" has a pretty easy answer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

I feel like we should be clear, and should have been for years now that EYE is a bad game. It's inscrutably designed, from the maps to the systems, most of the guns are not actually any good, even allowing for the translation the story doesn't make sense.

I love EYE because it's a nightmare morass of weird nonsense, but I think "Wait is Streum On actually bad at making games?" has a pretty easy answer.

I think the licenses have meant there’s a measure of quality control that makes the game better enough that it’s out of that weird spot EYE is in, but not enough to make the game actually good.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

EYE is a game that grunts real hard and before looking at the player and saying "and this is to go even further beyond jank" then screaming for seven hours about werewolf original sin and past lives.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

I mean, whether or not the guns in EYE are "good" as in even slightly balanced or whatever, pretty much all of them are fundamentally satisfying to fire. Like, I just went and watched a weapon video and even the most basic pistol has a bassy kick to it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

EYE is the worst game I've played in which I have triple digit hours and which I thoroughly & earnestly enjoy.

I think those necromunda guns look & sound substantially better than space hulk's, somewhat janky animations aside.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 9, 2021

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
is EYE the one that looks like it wanted to be a 40k game but they couldn't get the right?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes, that's why everyone was initially optimistic when they started doing 40k.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Of course EYE was a fluke, just look at it.

It's a pile of wild ideas that's arguably more jank than game by volume. One that, by dint of sheer earnestness and word of mouth from people willing to give it a chance, managed to scrape up a small but vocal cult following.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Deathloop being delayed is a shame but also thank gently caress it is since I've still 4 Yakuza games to get through AND the Legendary Edition of the Mass Effect trilogy was gonna release the same month as Deathloop originally :sweatdrop:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mordja posted:

I mean, whether or not the guns in EYE are "good" as in even slightly balanced or whatever, pretty much all of them are fundamentally satisfying to fire. Like, I just went and watched a weapon video and even the most basic pistol has a bassy kick to it.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

EYE is the worst game I've played in which I have triple digit hours and which I thoroughly & earnestly enjoy.

I think those necromunda guns look & sound substantially better than space hulk's, somewhat janky animations aside.

I mean I'm still gonna play Necromunda without question but I think it's maybe less of a surprise that Deathwing and maybe Necromunda are kinda not great, basically.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
While I'll never invalidate someone's enjoyment of E.Y.E.--I enjoyed it tons, I think that game suffers a lot from 'The first trip/high is the best". Not knowing what to expect is the most amazing thing where most of the technical jank becomes part of the amazing freakshow that is that game. But try to play it again as a GAME, not an experience, makes things much more glaring. I definitely have hazy, colorful moments of shooting down gunships with a loving revolver like nothing but it's hard to break into the game actually trying to play it as a game, and I've tried a few times.

EYE is definitely one of the games to play again if they ever come out with a breakthrough to forget specific game memories, just to do it from scratch.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zombie Army 4 is on Gamepass now and just played some co-op with a friend of mine, it's actually pretty neat. I was never into the non-sniper sections of the Sniper Elite games so I never gave these games much of a look but yeah this is an alright gamepass title. It's fun sniping into hordes of zombies getting killcam shots for each others particularly nasty shots.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

How is Scholar of the First Sin? I liked vanilla DS2 fine, but I've heard that apparently a lot of StFS's remixing relies on gank squads and difficulty for its own sake encounter design?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

How is Scholar of the First Sin? I liked vanilla DS2 fine, but I've heard that apparently a lot of StFS's remixing relies on gank squads and difficulty for its own sake encounter design?

It has a couple bad places where it feels like a bad romhack; Earthen Peak and the opening half of Iron Keep are both miserable but more than enough of the game is changed well to be worth your time if you like DS2 in the first place.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
The new Battletoads is now €5 which seems like a good deal for it so I picked it up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
E:either wrong thread or a bunch of pages just loaded.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Doesn't Scholar of the First sin change the placement of a lot of enemies to be less bullshit?

Orv
May 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Doesn't Scholar of the First sin change the placement of a lot of enemies to be less bullshit?

Some less, some more. It moves a lot of enemies around, adds a few more here, takes a few away there. It makes a few solid changes to item placement, streamlines a few things that make more sense than they do in vanilla (why on earth is this here? kinda things) and integrates the DLC into the main game by placing the DLC keys into the world rather than put into your inventory at the start.

I think Scholar is inarguably an upgrade to vanilla and there's very little reason to play vanilla now that it exists but it's still the question of if that's worth another $7.50 or whatever for a game you already own.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Omi no Kami posted:

If you liked DS2, it's absolutely worth it. Especially if you haven't gone through the DLC yet (which is huge).

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Prokhor posted:

The biggest issue with d:os, a game that I love, to me, is this poo poo

The maps have very specifically gated level zones, but with zero signposting for where they are or the appropriate way to progress. Like if you just keep walking down the beach you'll go through your level 1 area, dip into the level 2, oops all level 6 and you're dead. You like need to have that image open on another monitor so you know where you're basically allowed to be going at any point.

The biggest problem for me is the sandy beach island prison snore fest.

And holy moly have Larian stuck to that loving theme.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Larian can do anything else other than that in Baldur's Gate 3.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

The biggest problem for me is the sandy beach island prison snore fest.

And holy moly have Larian stuck to that loving theme.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Larian can do anything else other than that in Baldur's Gate 3.

I've got bad news, friend.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Orv posted:

I've got bad news, friend.

Oh I know, I uninstalled and refunded BG3. I'm meaning once they get to Act 2 or whatever.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The thing about the Divinity Original Sin games is that if you're after a co-op RPG, they're basically the only game in town. Currently having a blast playing 2 with three other people.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Ok, so there's this new game Trials of Fire which looks like a card-collector rougelike version of HoMM. I think this user review should sell you on it or at least put the game on your radar. If I weren't juggling Monster Train and Isaac: Repentance right now, I'd be on it 100%.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Age of Decadence

I have to say this was a massive surprise in how much fun it is. I beat a single run in one sitting, about 4-5 or so hours because it kept up a fast pace and had no weird filler or grinding moments, just moving from one area of progression to another. It's not a pretty game and it doesn't try and put on airs about how great it is, it delivers exactly what it sets out to do in a very focused adventure. One of the most surprising things is how for quests sometimes where its "return to tell X" rather then you having to manually return the game will just warp you to the person in question and you just click the talk button to progress that quest objective.

For some background, Ironworks Studio is allegedly the people from No Mutants Allowed who were so pissed off that Bethesda was making Fallout 3 they banded together to make a 'true' sequel to Fallout 1&2. AoD definitely has the same vibes as the 90s in depth crpg games. There's 8 different character archetypes you can pick from, with present affiliations that all massively impact what quests you're going to pursue in the game. Your character screen as shown below has a ton of numbers all over it, and the combat mode has the extremely crunchy vibe you'd expect from all those stats combining to make a functional system.

The game is set in a post fall "no-magic" Roman Empire-esque society that was previously the world empire of magic and technology. Everyone is trying to claw and fight their way up the ladder to survive, the Nobles are clinging to the faded remnants of their glory, loremasters are scouring the deserts for scraps of ancient history or technology, etc.

You, the player will start as one particular job. In my case I went merchant, the "easy" mode for a social skill play-through without combat. The game tells you very clearly at the start that hybrid classes will be extremely hard for new players to figure out, and to focus on 2-3 main skills for now and come back to the game after beating it.

The merchant class starts as a junior associate of the merchants guild, the new power on the scene, and you end up following the main quest by taking a bunch of missions to further their aims in the region. Most of the quests are things like bribing, convincing, lying, etc. to get make connections to the powerful or replace them with people more friendly to the guild.

From my experience, it seems like there's different "main quests" for each base class that eventually kind of hit the same point about 90% of the way through the game before it's mostly the same. There's a fair amount of side quests you can trigger while walking around the maps, even if you end up realizing some of them are impossible for your character build, but there's never a point where you get backed into a corner and forced to fight unless you make a really dumb choice, like agreeing to meet some bandits you were told are planning to rob you.

I got 15/109 achievements, and all the achievements look like various single event quest things, like who you side with, who was helped, who was killed etc. so there's definitely a ton of content I didn't see. Overall definitely a very interesting game that manages to take the concept of the 90s crpgs but strip out the bullshit grind for the sake of play-ability.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pentyne posted:

For some background, Ironworks Studio is allegedly the people from No Mutants Allowed who were so pissed off that Bethesda was making Fallout 3 they banded together to make a 'true' sequel to Fallout 1&2.

how much child killing is there

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

Age of Decadence

[Ironworks Studio is allegedly the people from No Mutants Allowed who were so pissed off

Very cool, I've had this in my backlog for quite a while. I appreciate that it allows for multiple short playthroughs, more classic rpgs should do this.

Also it's nice to see something good came out of NMA. Not that I don't have my own issues with FO3, but holy crap that place was full of angry reactionaries. It was not a happy place to be in the dark times.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fruits of the sea posted:

Very cool, I've had this in my backlog for quite a while. I appreciate that it allows for multiple short playthroughs, more classic rpgs should do this.

Also it's nice to see something good came out of NMA. Not that I don't have my own issues with FO3, but holy crap that place was full of angry reactionaries. It was not a happy place to be in the dark times.
Not having played a Fallout game before, I didn't know what "No Mutants Allowed" even was. Naturally when I Googled it, the first search suggestion that came up is "NMA is toxic".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Blattdorf posted:

Ok, so there's this new game Trials of Fire which looks like a card-collector rougelike version of HoMM. I think this user review should sell you on it or at least put the game on your radar. If I weren't juggling Monster Train and Isaac: Repentance right now, I'd be on it 100%.

I have 100+ hours played in this during early acess. It's really good.