Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol did the chapo voice work get scrubbed from the new edition of disco elysium? one of the main reasons I wanted to replay it was to hear virgil texas say hello gendarme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

The Voice of Labor posted:

lol did the chapo voice work get scrubbed from the new edition of disco elysium? one of the main reasons I wanted to replay it was to hear virgil texas say hello gendarme
I'm assuming you'll hear them if you select "classic" voices in options.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Xaris posted:

I think Bloodborne is a better option if you can, but I understand you might be talking PC only here in which case yeah sure. You can really play any From game in really any order, even old Kings Field or Armored Core games if you wanted -- if only because gameplay is good in them all. I do recommend you checkout 2 afterwards, it's still my favorite souls game if you don't count bloodborne.

I would caution that most From games play a lot different even within the same sort of series. Some go for a lot of parrys to open up hits, some focus on dodge-to-survive, some focus on shields/tanking to survive, some like Sekiro is all about running up into an enemy's face and parrying the poo poo out of them and dodging usually gets you killed. The opposite is true in like Bloodborne. so for me going from bloodborne into sekiro, it took me many many many untold deaths to break the habbit of "ah poo poo, a hit is coming in (O)(O)(O)(O)(O)" spam because that's just what my reflexes were trying to tell my brain.
Having played them in order, it's funny how much BB and Sekiro have influenced how I play the others. Shielding and circling around is no more, except in 2 where dodging is useless unless you pump souls into adaptability.

snoremac has issued a correction as of 07:44 on Apr 9, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

play 13 sentinels

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

WrightOfWay posted:

The Thousand Years of Dreams stories are super good and it's a shame the rest of the writing doesn't at all live up to them.

Yeah, I stopped after I hit one more dream the other writing so far has been standard political JRPG (like FF12), but with a party so far of all adults which I like. The dream short stories themselves though are surprisingly engaging for how long they are, did Sakaguchi write them?

edit:

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

some more stray observations in Oddworld Soulstorm:

-there seems to be some redundency in the writing. maybe its just in the early cutscenes but it just kinda feels like it could have used a bit of editing down so we don't need "you can save us, abe!" "no i can't!" "yes you can!" "ok"
-there are locked things to loot from and i couldn't find the key until i pickpocketed it off a slig so thats probably where they are. i guess i shouldn't have just killed every single one i saw
-turning subtitles on also subtitles text in cutscenes for some reason?
-pressing the start, or whatever you call the 3 lines button on an xbox controller, will pause a cutscene not skip it. holding a skips it
-theres a lot more of those anti-chanting orbs around and they spark with red lightning when you're in range now

overall tho still good

Bootleg Trunks has issued a correction as of 08:28 on Apr 9, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The biggest complaint I have so far is that it incentivises not killing sligs. There's possessable sligs right next to a pit with UXBs and I feel like I'm doing it wrong if I do the obvious and fun thing!

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

There seems to be a bug where sometimes slips won't move unless you throw something at them

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

I never played the original cut but I listened to the Chapo VA on YouTube and it was baaddd. Virgil sounded the best cause his disaffected tone fits well in the world. Matt sounds like they cut some of his livestream clips into the game.

Felix is the most disappointing. His character bits in the cold opens can be so perfect, I’m surprised he sucks so much at scripted VA

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

a Loving Dog posted:

yeah literally the only thing i can say bad about it is i wish it was 60fps

i'd take just not having that weird stutter?? or janky feel from the frame pacing

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Not sure if this applies to all modes, but Virgil def still has voice lines as the smoking man. I'm pretty sure Felix voices the drunk merchant on the coast. I haven't heard anyone who sounds like Matt or Will.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Not sure if this applies to all modes, but Virgil def still has voice lines as the smoking man. I'm pretty sure Felix voices the drunk merchant on the coast. I haven't heard anyone who sounds like Matt or Will.

you're not playing the fully voice acted final cut my man

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I remember trying to play Lost Odyssey on a tube TV and it was basically unreadable. I had to stand inches away to see what the text on the stories said.

I tried to play it again when I was older and got rolled by the first boss.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Blue Dragon was my favorite of the weird 360 exclusive JRPGs. Wish they'd port it to PC.

Though my understanding is that the Series X/S both have pretty wide backwards compatibility so it only further tempts me to get a Series S for a bit and just play Game Pass and older Xbox games I missed out on.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'm going to start up Disco Elysium today, not sure what stats to go with. I'm split between PSY/FYS psychic cop running around on intuition and shouting or INT/FYS blunt cop plowing straight through every problem because finesse is for cowards. Any recommendations? Or should I just flip a coin?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Int / fys is really fun imo and you get to hang out with best boy encyclopedia

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
WOMPTY DOMPTY DOM

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
there are lots of ways to play DE but if you never start rambling about Contact Mike I feel sorry for you

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/sackchief/status/1379829248920334339?s=20

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Nix Panicus posted:

I'm going to start up Disco Elysium today, not sure what stats to go with. I'm split between PSY/FYS psychic cop running around on intuition and shouting or INT/FYS blunt cop plowing straight through every problem because finesse is for cowards. Any recommendations? Or should I just flip a coin?

the big question is also: would you like the cop with inverse stats on the replay?

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

Int / fys is really fun imo and you get to hang out with best boy encyclopedia

his enthusiasm is only matched by his uselessness

edit: wait, you get Contact Mike with Encyclopedia, I take it back

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol holy poo poo

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Goa Tse-tung posted:

the big question is also: would you like the cop with inverse stats on the replay?

The opposite of INT/FYS is PSY/MOT, who feels like a smooth talker who believes in nothing but getting ahead

The opposite of PSY/FYS is INT/MOT, who feels like an overthinking weenie who would be in favor of tax credits as meaningful policy.

So I guess I'm playing INT/FYS because gently caress being a moralist. I'll tag something in PSY so I can be a cop of the people

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
30fps is good enough you nerds.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

this rules

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

:wrong:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sphyre posted:

How’s Dark Souls III for a first souls game? Only other fromsoft game ive played is Sekiro

It's the best one

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

no

the one exception is Bloodborne

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Bloodborne would be better at 60

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Nah

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Capping games at 30FPS to own nerds.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Locking games at 31FPS to own nerds.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
30 fps is ok but 60 is better

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Kitfox88 posted:

WOMPTY DOMPTY DOM

This MFer said " WOMPTY DOMPTY DOM" lmfao

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

Bloodborne would be better at 60

of course, but it’s fine at 30 and should be experienced regardless

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Zurtilik posted:

Blue Dragon was my favorite of the weird 360 exclusive JRPGs. Wish they'd port it to PC.

Though my understanding is that the Series X/S both have pretty wide backwards compatibility so it only further tempts me to get a Series S for a bit and just play Game Pass and older Xbox games I missed out on.

Blue Dragon is also fairly cheap, so I may pick that up next.

edit: Also I heard the person who was in charge of the backwards compatability was who was responsible for getting Mistwalker to develop Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey and they were some of the first to get backwards compatibility.

TheMightyBoops has issued a correction as of 14:53 on Apr 9, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ben Nerevarine posted:

of course, but it’s fine at 30 and should be experienced regardless

It's fine once you get used to it being jaggy and hitchy sure

It's in a bad way though even on the pro which is capable of running it at 60 and it's annoying nobody can be arsed to patch it
I wonder if theyr just planning to re-release it as a full price remaster

Speaking of BB Sony ain't getting me to buy a ps5 until they show BB2

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/sophie_gadd/status/1379883207139721219

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

how exactly are the vision quests supposed to start?

current playthrough is ultraliberal. when I met siileng on day 2, after internalizing indirect modes of taxation, savoir faire started telling me to ask him if I could pay for things in net worth. clearly that's the vision quest, but talking to siileng doesn't give an option about that, so I assume some scripting is being weird and it has to activate another way. but I heard that they start when you wake up on day 3, and no such thing happened. anyone know if there's also a stat requirement or something? - my savoir faire is pretty low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

unrealistic it says right there on the bag its for "batchelors"