Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That poo poo wasn't good anyways. Adding a beat where Eren's mother was destined to get munched on by that exact titan adds a ridiculous level of contrivance that makes the scene silly since it implies that Dina somehow just inherently knows to go right into Grisha's home to eat his second wife. Now that we have the ending it especially is the case that yes this entire event was Carla being a cosmic chew toy. Which is definitely worse, but I'm not convinced the poo poo with Dina was some smart writing by Isayama and not just him trying to attribute more meaning to some random titan he drew to eat Carla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

theCalamity posted:

Simply to explain why Dina didn't eat Bertolt. Could've just not had Bert be around Dina or simply gotten away. Nope, Eren's behind it all.

One of his friends probably kept harassing him about the plot hole of why Bert didn't get eaten so he threw it in there in the last chapter to get them off his back

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the actual point of it was to underline how far Eren was willing to go to the point where he would be personally responsible for the horrific action that set him down this path in the first place. It's pretty drat pointless though since no time is given to dwell on it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If there's one point I feel does not need reinforcing in Attack on Titan it's that Eren "I will beat the poo poo out of you with my stump arms and bite you" Jaeger is dedicated to what he sets his mind to do. Not to knock on what you're saying so much as to comment on how much it feels like we hit the same beats in AoT a lot, even moreso than the story really needs thematically.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

All You Titan Zombies

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I don't think it's the worst ending, and some folks here have found some decent through lines you could draw from the finale. It's just doesn't feel exciting and momentous, it just kinda feels...blahhhhhh

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

ImpAtom posted:

I think the actual point of it was to underline how far Eren was willing to go to the point where he would be personally responsible for the horrific action that set him down this path in the first place. It's pretty drat pointless though since no time is given to dwell on it.

Yeah I think if we had a few more chapters to marinate on it, it would've been revealed better and be more impactful. Oh well.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i like how isayama threw out paralleling historia and ymir emancipating themselves from toxic men in favor of an apples to oranges parallel of eren to king fritz (in regards to how they treated their women, they both were mass murderers obviously)

just great writing

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Eren and Zeke are what happen when you give godlike power to shonen protagonists who never emotionally mature past the start of their hero's journeys.

Imagine if Naruto had the Six Paths Nine Tails Sage whatever that last form was called... but he was still whining about having no friends and still just wanted to be Hokage so people would be forced to respect him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least Eren is allowed to resemble a human being even if it is a very stupid one, Naruto becomes ninja jesus and has none of the of the character flaws when he's a teenager that he did when he was 12 that made the character an underdog. The only time Naruto is ever believable again is as a dad where he actually gets to have an emotion other than determined smile and determined pout.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Though 4D Chess Eren is probably the absolute nadir of the character.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'm glad my girl Gabi lived.

Everything else was pretty... well, mostly unremarkable. The exchange between Armin and Eren was poo poo lol.

Edit: Also does Titan mist give you the power to see ghosts now?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Viridiant posted:

Edit: Also does Titan mist give you the power to see ghosts now?
read more manga

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sasha got a raw deal

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I did laugh when Falco tried to hug Gabi and she judo flipped him.

Author definitely seemed to lose sight of the themes in the series, albeit they were already muddled by giving the oppressed group deadly magic powers. The bit about life always multiplying and breaking free of that and other stuff, it just felt like a grab bag of pseudo philosophy that probably reflected a lot of disparate thoughts that occurred to him while working on the series but never coalesced into an engaging thematic whole.

Which is sad because at the point the AoT anime is at it still looks like it could stick the landing. Now we know it won’t.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I just realized that there's a level where this ending is incredibly thematically fitting.

A recurring motif for the story is that the characters who die before they reach their goals are able to keep holding on to the end, no matter if it's a heroic figure like Hange or a scumbag like Floch. Having a goal in the distance is a motivator.

Meanwhile, the people who reach their goals are left to feel empty with how far the reality is from their dreams. Erwin died and Armin lived, with Erwin seeming the luckier in the exchange.

So, naturally, the ending to Attack on Titan being terrible is bang-on theme.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Relin posted:

read more manga

Will that give me the power to see ghosts?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

only if you are japanese

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ghosts are only revealed by worm farts I'm sorry to say

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TheKingofSprings posted:

Like there were a million ways to write the story that weren’t “Eren is validated and begins his genocide” but that’s how the story went, I guess

Dumb Armin should have read his briefings :colbert:

Bifauxnen posted:

Augh I'd forgotten about that exact line, what was even the point of the stuff about the titan who ate his mom in the final chapter, what does that possibly add to the story?
To drive home his psychopathy, as if murdering millions (billions?) of people who weren't trying to kill them and uh wrecking the environment? wasn't enough

It's dumb but so is he so it at least fits

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 9, 2021

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

what happened to the millions of rehumanized colossal pure titans

do you think they got repatriated or isayama forgot

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They don't have names or faces so they're drowning in the ocean right now or naked and cold.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

well they obviously aren't naked since despite fusing completely with a huge mass of flesh their clothes are fine, see jean and connie

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Relin posted:

what happened to the millions of rehumanized colossal pure titans

do you think they got repatriated or isayama forgot
Didn't matter to Eren, didn't matter to any of the remaining main characters, but real missed opportunity to draw thousands of people who just woke up to find themselves drowning in the ocean, that's something the early manga would have relished taking the opportunity to depict

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Relin posted:

well they obviously aren't naked since despite fusing completely with a huge mass of flesh their clothes are fine, see jean and connie

Actually, Jean and Connie highlight just how bad this chapter was in another way, because their apparent deaths in last chapter?

They were good! Brief, but emotional, and concluding Jean's arc nicely. Heck, the conclusion to Mikasa's relationship with Eren was messed up and weird, but still felt like it suited the characters, with Eren giving Mikasa exactly what she wanted, and Mikasa growing past it while still refusing to reject what she felt.

And then we get This poo poo. HOW DID WE GET THIS poo poo?

The United States posted:

Didn't matter to Eren, didn't matter to any of the remaining main characters, but real missed opportunity to draw thousands of people who just woke up to find themselves drowning in the ocean, that's something the early manga would have relished taking the opportunity to depict

Not just the early manga. Chapter 131 had the scenes with Ramzi hitting exactly that kind of beat.

Again, this chapter is bad at so many things that the manga as a whole generally nailed.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Feels like after 131 someone told him to cut that poo poo out and he kinda overcorrected

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

The United States posted:

It could have been interesting to have one of the people who just woke up be the POV for the post-rumbling world

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Relin posted:

Right but what if they were turned into titans with no clothes on?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Baal posted:

Right but what if they were turned into titans with no clothes on?

King Fritz more like King Freakz

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I'm glad everyone lost and literally nothing was accomplished, it really makes all the debate people had about where the ending was going funny in retrospect. I don't think anyone guessed "nowhere".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mulva posted:

I'm glad everyone lost and literally nothing was accomplished, it really makes all the debate people had about where the ending was going funny in retrospect. I don't think anyone guessed "nowhere".

That's hardly true!

Annie won.

Everyone else lost.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

So right up to the end, the best thing about this manga after the basement reveal was Pieck

Big middle finger to everything to do w Historia and Ymir. Man.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh no

hatty posted:

Feels like after 131 someone told him to cut that poo poo out and he kinda overcorrected
this chapter really feels like something happened to change things from an original plan relatively recently in the series. others have said it, but aot has been really amazing at depicting so many things, and then the last clump of chapters have felt pretty off compared to the rest of the series. It really does seem like isayama wanted to do a much more grim ending, but instead we got the storytelling equivalent of a bowl of cold, watery oatmeal that a fly has just flown into

it just feels so off compared to the rest of the series. the "serialized series are always bad at endings" post is pretty correct, but also, the general feel of the series hasn't felt right for a bit now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
"Thank you. You became a mass murdere for our sake."

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Eren just lightly mentions that the Rumbling destroyed most of the world's forests which means that Earth's ecology is hosed for a longass time before everything can regrow. Between 80 percent of humanity being dead and Paradis likely being one of the few governments left on the planet, this is pretty much the worst possible outcome. Not to mention there's likely millions of century-old Eldians that will likely die horribly now too after being turned back.

Eren Jaeger commits genocide, gets thanked for it, dies and then turns into a bird. What the gently caress, man.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
AoT has always been bad but at least it had the decency to often be inadvertently funny in its edgelordiness. There is some extreme comedy in the final chapter but it doesn't land -- a fitting end, I suppose.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MorningMoon posted:

"Thank you. You became a mass murdere for our sake."

thread title please

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Elias_Maluco posted:

thread title please

Nah, it should be the line about making the most of your error

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Elias_Maluco posted:

thread title please
DO NOT CONGRATULATE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone suggest yet that all this can be fixed if fans send in enough death threats and outrage to the author/publisher until they make a new bitter ending? Maybe call it End of Attack on Titan?