Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Captain Cappy posted:

Does anyone in Japan know what Robotech is, and if they do, not hate it? lol
I guarantee there's at least one weird japanese robotech fan that's extremely excited right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

homeless snail posted:

I guarantee there's at least one weird japanese robotech fan that's extremely excited right now

we call that a westaboo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can imagine some fans being kindof curious what bastardised American Macross is like.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

does the Japanese Cardcaptors fanbase still thirst for the clear card adaptation?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

sb hermit posted:

does the Japanese Cardcaptors fanbase still thirst for the clear card adaptation?

Speaking of which, why did the anime for that stop so abruptly (I know the manga is still slowly progressing at least)?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Willo567 posted:

we call that a westaboo

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I could maybe see some Japanese fans being into the Robotech version of Southern Cross over the original

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

the movie is one of the best anime movies ever made tho

Julias posted:

From what I've heard, the movie is the best part of the franchise, so it might still be worth checking out, especially if you had seen the rest of the tv series.

I might sometime, but I feel like there's not a lot of point if I only kinda liked the series it's from. I don't particularly care what happens to Haruhi, though the other characters were alright.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you like the other characters, have I got good news for you about the movie called The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Disappearance is a great movie and is the best possible conclusion to leave the series on all things considered.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are a bunch of American shows that were shown and extremely popular in Japan. Twin Peaks and 24 are examples that come to mind. The US is an anomaly in that it tends to show less foreign programming than other countries, it's less of an abberation to be into foreign media almost anywhere else

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle is amazing and I'm sad I've watched it all now.

Like good enough that I looked it up and Mitsue Yamazaki has director credits for this, Tada-kun Never Falls in Love, Monthly Girls Nazaki-kun, and How Heavy Are Those Dumbells You Lift, so I'm pretty sure that means she is dang good. Even if I have no clue how influential the person named at the top of the list is.

Also listed for Magic-kyun! Renaissance which I've not seen but it looks fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There are a bunch of American shows that were shown and extremely popular in Japan. Twin Peaks and 24 are examples that come to mind. The US is an anomaly in that it tends to show less foreign programming than other countries, it's less of an abberation to be into foreign media almost anywhere else

Hell, Powerpuff Girls was so popular over there that they teamed up with Cartoon Network to make their own anime version.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

I also thought that Haruhi the character was universally disliked so I am confused.
people love haruhi the character, she was and is immensely popular and iconic to that generation of anime fans. some people get frustrated with how much she gets away with but thats kind of the joke and premise of the series, you can enjoy a character without thinking they're a good person you'd wanna hang out with.

plus for the most part the problems haruhi causes arent really her fault, like she doesnt know she has god powers, she just wants to do fun stuff with her friends and is pushy about it because shes a teenaged girl whos scared of not meaning anything to the people around her, so she pushes to do fun stuff. the mikuru stuff sucks and could easily be excised from the series but every other time haruhi causes trouble, its either harmless from her perspective or actively called out in the series.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Julias posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to frustration with the dismissal of the entire medium, which has a wide array of styles, either due to false preconceptions by those people as to what all anime is like (wacky exaggerated body movements and antics with a lot of sexual fanservice), or due to the racist undertones of condemning said entire medium simply for the sake that it's labeled as such (because it was made in Japan).

it's annoying because there's poo poo like Mushishi that gets bundled together with Highschool DxD because both are anime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

homeless snail posted:

if you like the other characters, have I got good news for you about the movie called The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Lol

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Larryb posted:

Hell, Powerpuff Girls was so popular over there that they teamed up with Cartoon Network to make their own anime version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhIRBgEoOb0

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Thankfully with the power of Beatrix and Godsworn Alexiel I can hear Aya Hirano as often as I want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJq4Cl8-v5w

This doesn't seem to be the case since they don't show any public, but what do the people that go watch these concerts live actually see?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

I didn't care for them enough to watch it, I'm sure it's a good movie but just not for me.

Endorph posted:

people love haruhi the character, she was and is immensely popular and iconic to that generation of anime fans. some people get frustrated with how much she gets away with but thats kind of the joke and premise of the series, you can enjoy a character without thinking they're a good person you'd wanna hang out with.

plus for the most part the problems haruhi causes arent really her fault, like she doesnt know she has god powers, she just wants to do fun stuff with her friends and is pushy about it because shes a teenaged girl whos scared of not meaning anything to the people around her, so she pushes to do fun stuff. the mikuru stuff sucks and could easily be excised from the series but every other time haruhi causes trouble, its either harmless from her perspective or actively called out in the series.

Yeah Haruhi isn't some horrible monster it's just a bit much for me, personally.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah yes, that was bizarre. Interestingly though, while the TMNT anime never got a proper western release a few toys from it did still make it over here.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
that anime reimagining of ppg was better than that lovely reboot they did in 2016, and will probably also be better than the live action CW series they have planned.

at least it did something different

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I remember PPGZ being decent enough at least. In fact, I believe the original designs were a lot closer to the American version but then Craig McCracken himself told them to just do their own thing with it.

I think that series did get a dub of some sort but was never actually released in the US for whatever reason.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah Haruhi isn't some horrible monster it's just a bit much for me, personally.
oh yeah i can totally get not enjoying the charater

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I remember PPGZ being decent enough at least. In fact, I believe the original designs were a lot closer to the American version but then Craig McCracken himself told them to just do their own thing with it.

I think that series did get a dub of some sort but was never actually released in the US for whatever reason.
One of my fave tidbits is that Bubbles' american VA in PPGZ also voices Revy in Black Lagoon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

One of my fave tidbits is that Bubbles' american VA in PPGZ also voices Revy in Black Lagoon.

Speaking of which, how is the English dub of PPGZ and where did it air? I know it never made it to the US at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 9, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

horse nanahira horse nanahira!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljmGSQvYeGo

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, how is the English dub of that show and where did it air? I know it never made it to the US at least.

the dub of black lagoon is stupid good

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mato Seihei no Slave (Slave of the Hell Soldiers) was really really good this week.
(femdom action manga)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

verbal enema posted:

I was talking about the dub of Powerpuff Girls Z

Also a reminder for anyone interested that the first episode of the World Ends With You anime premieres later today.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Larryb posted:

I was talking about the dub of Powerpuff Girls Z

Also a reminder for anyone interested that the first episode of the World Ends With You anime premieres later today.

ah

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I could maybe see some Japanese fans being into the Robotech version of Southern Cross over the original

Southern Cross bombed in Japan, the creators were actually pretty thankful for Robotech as it connected it with the much more successful Macross aspect and the toys were selling under the Robotech brand.

verbal enema posted:

It's crazy good. So good in fact it might be one of the best dubs ever done.

Very much worth watching.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I don't regret buying the DVDs.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mentat Radnor posted:

That's because Excel Saga is smart and funny, please everyone go watch absurd 90's gag comedy Excel Saga.

I've been wanting to rewatch Excel Saga for a while now but I'm scared it's not going to hold up. :ohdear:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Vandar posted:

I've been wanting to rewatch Excel Saga for a while now but I'm scared it's not going to hold up. :ohdear:

I watched that for the first time last year. If you like 90's anime, you'll like Excel. Lost Universe also holds up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

I watched that for the first time last year. If you like 90's anime, you'll like Excel. Lost Universe also holds up.

I’ve been curious about that but I’ve heard the anime itself is kind of ugly visually speaking. Is Lost Universe anything like Slayers in terms of tone/quality?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dogsicle posted:

it's just like killing god at the end of the jrpg

lmao

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

personally i think haruhi suziyama should kick my rear end instead

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Larryb posted:

I’ve been curious about that but I’ve heard the anime itself is kind of ugly visually speaking. Is Lost Universe anything like Slayers in terms of tone/quality?

Very, at least for the first half, before the main story takes hold and it does its own thing.

As for looks, 90's anime doesn't hold a candle to what can be done today, but I'm still a fan of those angular character styles and sharp points.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 9, 2021

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are plenty of 90s shows that are more visually inventive and well-animated than several modern shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It all comes down to talent and budget.

And those don't always equal each other.

Every era has stand out animation.