Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/sr-71-blackbird-pilot-tells-story-behind-famed-ground-speed-check

-----

quote:

Nevertheless the Blackbird wasn’t an easy plane to fly as SR-71 pilot Brian Shul recalls in his book Sled Driver. “There were a lot of things we couldn’t do in an SR-71, but we were the fastest guys on the block and loved reminding our fellow aviators of this fact. People often asked us if, because of this fact, it was fun to fly the jet. Fun would not be the first word I would use to describe flying this plane—intense, maybe, even cerebral.”

However according to Shul “there was one day in our Sled experience when we would have to say that it was pure fun to be the fastest guys out there, at least for a moment.

I’ll always remember a certain radio exchange that occurred one day as Walt (my back-seater) and I were screaming across Southern California 13 miles high.

We were monitoring various radio transmissions from other aircraft as we entered Los Angeles airspace.

Though they didn’t really control us, they did monitor our movement across their scope.

I heard a Cessna ask for a readout of its ground speed.
’90 knots’ Center replied.

Moments later,a Twin Beech required the same.
‘120 knots,’ Center answered.

We weren’t the only ones proud of our ground speed that day…as almost instantly an F-18 smugly transmitted, ‘Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests ground speed readout.’
There was a slight pause, then the response, ‘620 knots on the ground, Dusty.’

Another silent pause.

As I was thinking to myself how ripe a situation this was, I heard a familiar click of a radio transmission coming from my back-seater. It was at that precise moment I realized Walt and I had become a real crew, for we were both thinking in unison.
‘Center, Aspen 20, you got a ground speed readout for us?’
There was a longer than normal pause … ‘Aspen, I show 1,942 knots.’

No further inquiries were heard on that frequency.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

a.lo posted:

how about instead we get universal healthcare in this country

No. Pay or die.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

B-Rock452 posted:

Can't wait for Elon to invent the transportation system used in The Jaunt and for every dipshit fan boy to excitedly talk about how clawing your eyes out from insanity is what he meant to have happen and why can't you see what a genius he is.

ITS LONGER THAN YOU THINK DAD!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Everyone is high on ether today. That’s my only explanation for things.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I’m high on my own farts

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imagine Mitt Romney traveling the tesla hyperloop with his dog in a cage strapped onto the side.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MadJackal posted:

a world without trump is a broken world

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

a world without trump is a broken world

it’s no world for me

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
whoa we're finally free from being under the boot of D&D

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

B-Rock452 posted:

Can't wait for Elon to invent the transportation system used in The Jaunt and for every dipshit fan boy to excitedly talk about how clawing your eyes out from insanity is what he meant to have happen and why can't you see what a genius he is.

elon starts out proposing the transportation system from the jaunt, but 10 years later it turns out to be taking two benadryl before you're packed into the trunk of a tesla

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MadJackal posted:

What's up?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

not much, what's up with you

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

The Chairman posted:

elon starts out proposing the transportation system from the jaunt, but 10 years later it turns out to be taking two benadryl before you're packed into the trunk of a tesla

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
whoa they are making The Jaint for teevee

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It's a tunnel but really it's a water slide and it goes to hell.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Chairman posted:

not much, what's up with you

I placed my depression particles and my anxiety particles in a reactor called "working in the public sector" and now I'm being obliterated.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

The Chairman posted:

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

SirPablo posted:

It's a tunnel but really it's a water slide and it goes to hell.

urine it

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

The Chairman posted:

he’s about to reinvent greyhound and they’ll eat it up and can’t wait to spend 10 hours packed in with strangers breathing each other’s farts

five minutes before reaching the destination there will be a 90% chance the bus explodes.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Hello. I am a mod. What seems to be the problem?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Britain pretends to be a real country but then goes into eight days of mourning because the queens consort died.

really? Lucky bastards, we only got 1 day off work when Barbara Bush's consort died.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
elong musk and gwyneth paltrow announce their new collaboration, HyperGoop

gregday
May 23, 2003

everyone should subscribe to the AI Weirdness newsletter, where a researcher feeds inputs into GPT-3 machining learning models to create hilarious poo poo.

today, it’s starting with the input “Being vaccinated does NOT mean you can”:

quote:

Being vaccinated does NOT mean you can hang out with bears and wolves and elk and eagles in their weird southern California forest hell. If for some reason you do this type of thing, you definitely can't ride the raptors into battle or utilize their extremely keen eyesight. Not from that particular vaccine.

Being vaccinated does NOT mean you have to rub vanilla crème all over your body and change your species, but it wouldn't be the worst idea, if you’re considering it.

Being vaccinated does NOT mean your child can ride on a bull made of solid gold to rodeo into a castle full of bad guys. Even if everyone else in St. Louis is doing it.

Being vaccinated does NOT mean you can travel through time and multiple realities. Fortunately you're still the same good-hearted grade schooler you were before you walked out of that basement with two items in your hand. One was the ability to restore the Dragon Balls, and the other was the recipe for the world’s best green bean casserole.

Being vaccinated does NOT mean you're okay with a man beleaguering you with song, also known as singing.

Being vaccinated does NOT mean you can use an incredibly powerful magic necklace to turn yourself into a football player so you can smuggle some footballs into football practice so football players can play football.

Being vaccinated does NOT mean you can kidnap the Emperor of China, tear up some of your China-based robotics studies, mix in some magic, and fly around on robotic falcons shooting grappling hook crossbows that reel in the scarf of a big greased wizard. This is a bad idea.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Red Baron posted:

he’s about to reinvent greyhound and they’ll eat it up and can’t wait to spend 10 hours packed in with strangers breathing each other’s farts

five minutes before reaching the destination there will be a 90% chance the bus explodes.

he's going to reinvent greyhound by putting a bunch of teslas on a car carrier

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Let's just go ahead and build a tunnel starting in an area that is seismically unstable and it will go under 2 mountain ranges before traveling through several states that are obsessed with fracking the entire state into oblivion then under the Mississippi river and then under another mountain range and an ocean in order to get to new york.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Squirtle Squard, a-ten-hut!

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

TMMadman posted:

Let's just go ahead and build a tunnel starting in an area that is seismically unstable and it will go under 2 mountain ranges before traveling through several states that are obsessed with fracking the entire state into oblivion then under the Mississippi river and then under another mountain range and an ocean in order to get to new york.

sounds like a bad idea, op

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1380293325182279680?s=21

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

this is all anything elon musk is ever going to do for the rest of his career, every single invention by an elon musk-owned company is going to be a tesla poorly adapted to do something we already have a perfectly good system for

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Boris might try to gently caress the queen boy nobody's going to try as hard as Macron.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
When I die at 80, I want my family to use a baby photo of me.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1380476142243753990?s=20

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

TMMadman posted:

exactly, glad to see you get it

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
there's going to be a statue of Elon Musk in the capital of the Mars Territory

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

DryGoods posted:

make an aqueduct from NY to LA where you can hyper-jet ski in 2 hours
goddamn this would own

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The Chairman posted:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Oh poo poo old rasputin comes in tallboy cans now

That seems dangerous

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
elon musk is gonna announce that he invented tech that can turn a normal human into slurry that can then be poured into a barrel that is rolled through a tunnel from LA though and into the center of the earth. He thinks maybe another 18 months of heavy R&D into reconstituting the slurry back into your original form. prices start at 10k bitcoins.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/capybaracountry/status/1380535735044861956?s=21

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/EzraNBC/status/1380534804320501766

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

gettin a first shot at a grocery store in a nearby town today, probably gonna catch the rona getting it :patriot: