Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i feel like i used palaver for this but it's been a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
only irc thing I used before was Colloquy because I also used it on my Mac. never tried to setup anything fancy lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

only irc thing I used before was Colloquy because I also used it on my Mac. never tried to setup anything fancy lol

oh i used that like in the early days of the ipad i think

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

also asked this in iyg but yosposters are probably the ones grognardy enough to answer this. are there any good irc clients for timphone that are preferably compatible with ZNC features? sshing into my bouncer to use a local irssi session is garbo on a phone screen

thelounge

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
re: green bubble chat

quote:

“The #1 most difficult [reason] to leave the Apple universe app is iMessage ... iMessage amounts to serious lock-in,” was how one unnamed former Apple employee put it in an email in 2016, prompting Schiller to respond that, “moving iMessage to Android will hurt us more than help us, this email illustrates why.”

“iMessage on Android would simply serve to remove [an] obstacle to iPhone families giving their kids Android phones,” was Federighi’s concern according to the Epic filing.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

While Apple will never move iMessage to Android, it would be hilarious to watch them do it and then see immediately outperform every single one of Google's 50 messaging apps.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

While Apple will never move iMessage to Android, it would be hilarious to watch them do it and then see immediately outperform every single one of Google's 50 messaging apps.

yeah i agree it won't happen for a very long time if at all. it would be wild though because i think it would immediately become the contact app of choice for like, just about everyone in north america, especially if they ironed out the patent issues surrounding facetime and rolled it in.

combine this with being able to send cash with apple pay, say, and they could probably put companies like venmo out of business.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it'd be funny if they eventually ported imessage to android but still made message bubbles originating from android phones green.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

did google or any carriers ever start deploying rcs after talking about it for over a decade? i think their default sms client as well as sarnsung's lovely replacement finally supports it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

it'd be funny if they eventually ported imessage to android but still made message bubbles originating from android phones green.

lmao

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
make the message bubbles just slightly off-blue from regular iMessages

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

why is the messages app icon still green

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

inferis posted:

why is the messages app icon still green

either:

- to maintain consistency with the other "core" calling/msging apps (phone, facetime, messages all green)

- its one of the most used apps on the device and changing the color may confuse non technical people

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they do change the music app's color every other version of ios though which is pretty fun and annoying

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

either:

- to maintain consistency with the other "core" calling/msging apps (phone, facetime, messages all green)

- its one of the most used apps on the device and changing the color may confuse non technical people

it's probably both. remember that ios was around for like four years with SMS-only (i.e., green bubble) messaging until iMessage launched

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it's blue

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
mzwar...mzwar never changes

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Last Chance posted:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

easiest way to fix iMassages:

make messages from iOS/macOS devices smooth, liquidy, shiny

make messages from everything else appear as Zalgo

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
they make iMessage for android but it costs $10 a month

but actually, servers are not free and all other message apps besides signal and telegram are datamining in some way

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The_Franz posted:

did google or any carriers ever start deploying rcs after talking about it for over a decade? i think their default sms client as well as sarnsung's lovely replacement finally supports it
some have, yeah, but good luck getting anyone to tell you what it is or why it's different, never mind better, than sms

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

telegram is isis messenger, so it's probably run by the nsa

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

some have, yeah, but good luck getting anyone to tell you what it is or why it's different, never mind better, than sms

i find android users are more than happy to tell you all about rcs

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Trabisnikof posted:

i find android users are more than happy to tell you all about rcs

rice cream sandwich

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i'm kind of confused at the news articles complaining that imessage is "lock-in". it's like, yes, the fact that I can run apple software is largely why I buy apple devices. that's not "lock in" in any negative way, it's literally their product. it kinda feels like they're complaining that ps5 can't play switch games

maybe im missing something?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

i'm kind of confused at the news articles complaining that imessage is "lock-in". it's like, yes, the fact that I can run apple software is largely why I buy apple devices. that's not "lock in" in any negative way, it's literally their product. it kinda feels like they're complaining that ps5 can't play switch games

having not been able to convert the dirty non-technical women and children they now wish to bring ios down to their level

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

no, that’s literally epic’s argument in court and apple’s defense

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sounds bullshitty to me to call it lock-in. apple did try to sling their standards ideas around but not having those or imessage at all does nothing to impede messaging on, to, or from other platforms

just sounds salty

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

maybe as a monthly service, but the cost of device support for devices they don't make sounds like a compelling reason not to

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

make iMessage part of apple one and not available separately

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Casual Encountess posted:

lol go find a nurse who doesnt wear a watch

doctors can be very weird about watches. i once met a doctor at a party who told me (i am paraphrasing) that i must not have been very important at my workplace because i didn’t wear a watch and i couldn’t tell what time it was and know where i needed to be.

i didn’t want to try to explain that i have a cell phone and there are clocks on walls and in computers and at computer jobs everyone has a computer at all times and their meetings and agenda are in the calendar on the phone anyway, so I left to talk to some other less pompous people. that was pre smartwatch era too so a watch would literally just tell you the time and you’d have to juggle meetings and appointments in your head which is way less good than a phone with a calendar.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
is there an apple watch clip attachment for the nurses who still wear fob watches?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

doctors can be very weird about watches. i once met a doctor at a party who told me (i am paraphrasing) that i must not have been very important at my workplace because i didn’t wear a watch and i couldn’t tell what time it was and know where i needed to be.

i didn’t want to try to explain that i have a cell phone and there are clocks on walls and in computers and at computer jobs everyone has a computer at all times and their meetings and agenda are in the calendar on the phone anyway, so I left to talk to some other less pompous people. that was pre smartwatch era too so a watch would literally just tell you the time and you’d have to juggle meetings and appointments in your head which is way less good than a phone with a calendar.

lotus drivers really do go to the best parties

“why would i wear a watch? i have people for that”

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PCjr sidecar posted:

lotus drivers really do go to the best parties

“why would i wear a watch? i have people for that”

when i say party i actually mean a wedding of an old college friend of my now ex

this person and I were several friend-of/in-law links apart.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Achmed Jones posted:

its not really lock-in but it is installed by default and its impossible to make a real alternative because apple doesn't allow 3rd apps access to sms messages

the real killer app of imessage is that its a single app the seamlessly downgrades to sms, apple could make the messages extendable like they did for the phone app but they won't for business reasons

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lock-in is just an industry term that covers the various forms of inertia wrt a platform that keeps users from switching, it’s not new or that big of a deal to use it

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

rice cream sandwich
thank you

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

didn't Android get all pissed off and make the default colour blue a while back?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

big fishmech energy on the “can we call it lock-in when Apple designs their products with artificially high barriers to exit” discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Last Chance posted:

lmao, this would be amazing.