Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

pentyne posted:

For some background, Ironworks Studio is allegedly the people from No Mutants Allowed who were so pissed off that Bethesda was making Fallout 3 they banded together to make a 'true' sequel to Fallout 1&2.

Didn't NMA get to the point that they even didn't even like Fallout 2? It was an echo chamber filled with people having pissing contests about who could like something less. Any association with that place is pure marketing poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Having read an LP of Age of Decadence I got strong, "This is interesting but the gameplay looks bad enough to put me off actually playing it" vibes

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Age of Decadence is a game thats fun but you'd better only do the thing your character is supposed to do. If you are a merchant and 3 random bandits try to rob you, if you try to fight them you will get loving murdered. Instead hire them to rob a rival merchant and split the profits with you. If a child dropped their teddy bear into a lion cage at the zoo, give them a dollar and tell them to buy a new one because you ain't sneaking in there to get it bud.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Walh Hara posted:

I have 100+ hours played in this during early acess. It's really good.

I have much fewer hours in it, but will echo that it is good. It's basically the system that Gordian Quest wanted to be, but didn't really get to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I appreciate this review and post, even if it sounds like it's not my type of game. Very much appreciate it!
no problem. to date, the best games to leave Apple Arcade exclusivity:

- Jenny LeClue
- Tangle Tower
- Sayonara Wild Hearts
- Alba: A Wildlife Adventure
- What the Golf
- Necrobarista
- Inmost
- Grindstone
- Mutazione

Good games still trapped in Apple Arcade jail, perhaps never leaving:

- ChuChu Rocket Universe (a sequel to ChuChu Rocket that came out in 2019)
- Fantasian (Mistwalker JRPG with hand-crafted BGs)
- Guildlings
- Little Orpheus (mostly novel for the fact that it's The Chinese Room of Dear Esther/Everybody's Gone to the Rapture fame doing a completely different side-scrolling platformer)
- The Pinball Wizard
- Bleak Sword
- Spidersaurs
- Spyder
- Wonderbox

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 9, 2021

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
To be fair, Fantasian released two weeks ago. That one is totally leaving the platform later, especially given that it's doing the "this is 'episode one' we totally didn't take this deal for the cash to finish the game and go multiplat" thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Weird hunch some people in here might care about this.

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1380543764221939712?s=19

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy poo poo what

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hwurmp posted:

holy poo poo what

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

yeah i would buy that game just for timesplitters

Orv
May 4, 2011
It goes on sale for like $4 and I suspect it's gonna see a spike in purchases for the summer sale.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

wow enderal is significantly better than i was expecting. the world is gorgeous, voice acting is actually great, levelling is cool and im loving poo poo up good as an elementalist.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

pentyne posted:

For some background, Ironworks Studio is allegedly the people from No Mutants Allowed who were so pissed off that Bethesda was making Fallout 3 they banded together to make a 'true' sequel to Fallout 1&2.
To set the record straight here: Ironworks Studio is the product of Vince D. Weller, who was involved with the old Fallout fan communities, No Mutants Allowed and Duck and Cover, but who was most heavily tied to RPG Codex where he was website staff. You can probably learn all you need to know from this old RPS interview with him. Development of Age of Decadence goes back to at least 2005, before even Oblivion was released or Bethesda bought the Fallout IP. It was basically driven by the disappearance of classic cRPGs and long before the modern reemergence of the genre.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

To set the record straight here: Ironworks Studio is the product of Vince D. Weller, who was involved with the old Fallout fan communities, No Mutants Allowed and Duck and Cover, but who was most heavily tied to RPG Codex. You can probably learn all you need to know from this old RPS interview with him. Development of Age of Decadence goes back to at least 2005, before even Oblivion was released or Bethesda bought the Fallout IP. It was basically driven by the disappearance of classic cRPGs and long before the modern reemergence of the genre.

I like that the list of things he was involved with gets progressively worse.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

are you telling me that timesplitters has been hiding on steam for years

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

yes

Homefront had an easter egg that let you play the first few levels of TS2, that much was well known, but a few days ago one of the developers mentioned they had ported the full game and hidden it behind a cheat code which has since been lost. Once that word got out people were able to reverse engineer the code fairly quickly.

also the developer had tried to leak the code (before he lost it) but it didn't work out lol

https://twitter.com/bigevilboss/status/1378771776595976195

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 9, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morter posted:

While I'll never invalidate someone's enjoyment of E.Y.E.--I enjoyed it tons, I think that game suffers a lot from 'The first trip/high is the best". Not knowing what to expect is the most amazing thing where most of the technical jank becomes part of the amazing freakshow that is that game. But try to play it again as a GAME, not an experience, makes things much more glaring. I definitely have hazy, colorful moments of shooting down gunships with a loving revolver like nothing but it's hard to break into the game actually trying to play it as a game, and I've tried a few times.

EYE is definitely one of the games to play again if they ever come out with a breakthrough to forget specific game memories, just to do it from scratch.

Exactly, you play EYE exactly as long as it takes to figure something out or clue in on something, then stop

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

repiv posted:

yes

Homefront had an easter egg that let you play the first few levels of TS2, that much was well known, but a few days ago one of the developers mentioned they had ported the full game and hidden it behind a cheat code which has since been lost. Once that word got out people were able to reverse engineer the code fairly quickly.

Why the hell would they go through the effort and expense to completely port over an entire game and then not tell anyone until now?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sailor Dave posted:

Why the hell would they go through the effort and expense to completely port over an entire game and then not tell anyone until now?

Maybe the higher ups at the publisher asked them not to release it, so they could release it as a standalone TS2 remaster later?

that obviously never happened but they may have wanted to keep the option open

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

queeb posted:

wow enderal is significantly better than i was expecting. the world is gorgeous, voice acting is actually great, levelling is cool and im loving poo poo up good as an elementalist.

It's telling that Skyrim-esque becomes better when it's more Gothic. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Fanatical discount code for 7% off, I'm not using it: UDXWSptW7yehU9

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Regarding NMA, ask yourself if you'd want to play an RPG designed by this guy:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Antigravitas posted:

It's telling that Skyrim-esque becomes better when it's more Gothic. :v:

yeah really, this is so good.

the main city is impressively nice, cant believe this is free lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orv posted:

Weird hunch some people in here might care about this.

https://twitter.com/manfightdragon/status/1380543764221939712?s=19

Wait, is this on the PC version too? How do you unlock it there? Same method if you just plugin a controller?

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Wait, is this on the PC version too? How do you unlock it there? Same method if you just plugin a controller?

It is, I believe the equivalent M&KB binds would work but yeah that too. There's an arcade machine in the game for it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Orv posted:

It is, I believe the equivalent M&KB binds would work but yeah that too. There's an arcade machine in the game for it.

Reading up more on this, the arcade machine is pretty late into the game. So there is some effort there. Hopefully fans can just strip out the files though and create a proper port that doesn't require Homefront Revolution to play.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bees x1000 posted:

As A diehard fan of Timesplitters 2 that still plays the game on Gamecube, this is completely wild to me.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I said come in! posted:

Reading up more on this, the arcade machine is pretty late into the game. So there is some effort there. Hopefully fans can just strip out the files though and create a proper port that doesn't require Homefront Revolution to play.

if they weren't able to get it out of the game by now I'm not sure they'll ever be able to but there is definitely a carrot on a stick to try and do it now at least. I would like to be proven wrong

Orv
May 4, 2011

I said come in! posted:

That'd be nice and hopefully not DMCA worthy but I wouldn't count on it depending on how it's in there.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Having to play Homefront is a pretty steep price of entry. I'd much rather give them 50 bucks for TimeSplitters 2 than 5 dollars for Homefront and have to play it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Givin posted:

Having to play Homefront is a pretty steep price of entry. I'd much rather give them 50 bucks for TimeSplitters 2 than 5 dollars for Homefront and have to play it.

Homefront Revolution is actually fun though, it's a weird customize-your-guns stealth thing that I rather like.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

if they weren't able to get it out of the game by now I'm not sure they'll ever be able to but there is definitely a carrot on a stick to try and do it now at least. I would like to be proven wrong

I don't think there had been any attempts to do it until now because it was assumed that it was just 2 story levels available, and Homefront Revolution is a bad game that no one bought. Now that everyone knows the entire game is there, people will start making honest attempts at reverse engineering this or whatever needs to be done.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Revolution was actually good, not even "pretty okay" just legit good. Had some problems and the Far Cry outpost style world got kind of same-y by the end but it's fun.

E: Also Second Sight literally just came back to GOG and Steam yesterday or today so THQ Nordic might actually be moving on those licenses now.

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 9, 2021

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

queeb posted:

I do think its a little euro janky here and there but overall Enderall is pretty drat good.
Running around spawning a ghost wolf and electroshocking everything in sight.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 9, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

God I don't even care about Timesplitters (don't know what it is tbh) but now I want to play Homefront Revolution again! As a fan of Hitman I enjoy hiding in dumpsters before murdering a lot of people.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

God I don't even care about Timesplitters (don't know what it is tbh) but now I want to play Homefront Revolution again! As a fan of Hitman I enjoy hiding in dumpsters before murdering a lot of people.

You should definitely try the port when you get there if you do play it again, I think from what games you've said you've enjoyed in here you'd probably enjoy it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

GrandpaPants posted:

I have much fewer hours in it, but will echo that it is good. It's basically the system that Gordian Quest wanted to be, but didn't really get to.

...but did they fix that bland-rear end overworld map that killed all joy for life that I've ever known?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

queeb posted:

My only complaint really is that I'm not a fan of the dark is DARK that a lot of skyrim modders like to use. I guess it forces you to use magelight or a torch, but I think thats just kinda lame.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I never know what Timesplitters actually is because I’m constantly confusing it with Time Crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

I never know what Timesplitters actually is because I’m constantly confusing it with Time Crisis.

It's a crazy rear end first person shooter series that had three games, and was made by many of the same people who created Golden Eye, and Perfect Dark. And the multiplayer reflects that. It had no internet, but the 4 way split screen multiplayer was basically a evolution of golden eye, and perfect dark. Tons of crazy weapons, maps, and characters to play as. It's a really good arena deathmatch game. It had bots to play against too, and there are challenge modes, and a map creator.