Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Yardbomb posted:

It's funny how big the difficulty gap between some of them is too.

Leatherface? lol

Legion? Not too bad.

Plague has a rough time because of chaser with her power.

Hag? You might as well expect to play perkless with all hexes.

Nurse? Oh boy.

Then survivor side of course you have David's adept.
You mention useless hex perks, but not Huntress? Rude.

Or Doctor and one of his perks being actively detrimental to optimal play when you don't have a detection perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wraith is (was?) also pretty dire.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Studio posted:

Adept Killers are great since they get harder as you rank up - it requires a merciless victory instead of three or four kills. I do think the forum has gotten a little stuck on how good survivors can be, but escaping versus a merciless victory is night and day. Even Adept David or Lauri can luck out with a hatch or someone else looping. I'm back in the reds after a few months off of DBD and I do not know how I would've gotten any kills playing default kit Deathslinger or Pig.
It seems like the best time to go for the adepts would be after you come back from a break so you're able to chop some potato teams.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Adept Myers is great because before they changed Dying Light, his perks actively worked against each other lmao

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The other issue is that devout has been bugged for a while now and you can't get iri on it without a 4k even with 10-11 hooks.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Azran posted:

Wraith is (was?) also pretty dire.

Was. I just got adept with him after trying like 3 matches in green/purple, base windstorm and powerful add-ons make it a lot simpler, appearance reduction and silent bell are so powerful.

Trying to adept trapper rn and its still easier feeling than Myers.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
If they class it as an accessibility change doesn't that mean wiggling is going to be changed too?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tha_Joker_GAmer posted:

If they class it as an accessibility change doesn't that mean wiggling is going to be changed too?
You put far too much faith in BHVR.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I've just started playing dead by daylight, and I'm having a really rough time as a survivor.

I know things will get better as I unlock more perks and learn the map, but this game's learning curve is something else.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Bioshuffle posted:

I've just started playing dead by daylight, and I'm having a really rough time as a survivor.

I know things will get better as I unlock more perks and learn the map, but this game's learning curve is something else.
Try using the crouch key to signal to the killer that you're new! Yeah they just kind of throw you in the deep end. I kind of wonder if that's what they're balancing for, "new fish survivor vs. reasonably experienced killer."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

End game chat censorship is so weird. Just played against a Scratched Mirror Myers on Lerys. Tried to have a nice talk afterwards and when I said I always love playing against Scratched Mirror Myers, "Myers" was censored. I tried to explain "You can say Michael, but his last name is censored" and it literally censored out the phrase "his last name".

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'm just getting started as a killer. It's at trip to see people at lowly level 18 like me but they're decked out in purple everything and clearly play well.

That said, my steady diet on Otzdarva videos over the past year gave me a lot of fundamentals. I absorbed a lot before I ever bought the game. My mechanics are super weak and my desperate attempt to play nurse for some challenge was laughable. I'm just going to give up on those things and just play fundamentals for a while.

I'm feeling pretty good even when not doing well though. Celebrate if I hook anyone, if not, enjoy if I get a hit or two in. Surprised by how much fun Trapper was when someone stepped on my rando traps. Then I started to steer them toward them and you could see the appeal.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

rydiafan posted:

End game chat censorship is so weird. Just played against a Scratched Mirror Myers on Lerys. Tried to have a nice talk afterwards and when I said I always love playing against Scratched Mirror Myers, "Myers" was censored. I tried to explain "You can say Michael, but his last name is censored" and it literally censored out the phrase "his last name".

I'm a dumb idiot and just say little things pre-game sometimes, "benis" is censored, spacing the characters censors it, I think even ben is was censored lmao, I had to type out like beee n is for it to take.

Also new survivors, one thing to learn is that if you're at a loop with a pallet and all, if the killer starts playing the middle point dance and trying to come around to whatever side you're angling, that's actually a mostly good thing, he's wasting time and as long as you keep mirroring him you're safe for at least a whole loop usually even if he gets the first speed up, you wanna try and get the most out of every loop, when possible, don't throw the pallet down immediately if he's coming at you, make him do a loop or two as safe enough for the distance, then drop it and make for the next spot you can guess or see. Being chased is all about wasting the most time or until he breaks from you for objectives again.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 8, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ape Agitator posted:

That said, my steady diet on Otzdarva videos over the past year gave me a lot of fundamentals. I absorbed a lot before I ever bought the game. My mechanics are super weak and my desperate attempt to play nurse for some challenge was laughable. I'm just going to give up on those things and just play fundamentals for a while.

I tried playing Nurse once because the only killer tome missions I have open are Nurse missions (hit survivors 4 times right after blinking and down 6 survivors with the Stridor perk). I figured how hard can it be? Down six survivors? Pffft, easy.

I downed one guy. One. And got five-genned.

quote:

I'm feeling pretty good even when not doing well though. Celebrate if I hook anyone, if not, enjoy if I get a hit or two in.

Honestly, as long as the game feels ... fair? Good-natured? I don't mind what happens when I'm the killer. Sometimes in horror movies people survive for the sequel, it happens. It's just fun stalking people. Plus the way the game frames it at the end, like "match result: brutal killer" etc, it doesn't feel like anyone really wins or loses. Just a horror story played out.

The only time I mind is when the survivors are just mean-spirited dickheads. Why do you have to be like that? Let's just play the game and have fun, nobody needs to be jerk about it.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The true horror all along was bad manners.

I picked this up on sale over the weekend for PC after messing around with the PS4 version I got free at some point a while back and have been playing exclusively killer. I definitely vibe with the “just do what you can and have a good time” angle. I play a lot of Leatherface right now since he’s my only killer so far with purple BBQ and Chili as I use him to gather BP for some of the others and I love to intentionally slam my chainsaw into the exit gate when the last survivor(s) run through it so I can throw an appropriate Massacre-ending tantrum dance. Any game where I get even one sacrifice feels like a good time, and I’ve had enough 4k games to have a great time now and again too.

I also pretty much hate playing as Nurse right now, but I did discover just how fun she can be in the Silent Hill level since she can just zap up and down between the floors. That helped immensely for me to get through her two challenges on the first page of the Tome.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

When you hit that point where playing Nurse all clicks together, it feels like playing a whole new game, people get scared again when a good Nurse happens

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I tried playing Nurse once because the only killer tome missions I have open are Nurse missions (hit survivors 4 times right after blinking and down 6 survivors with the Stridor perk). I figured how hard can it be? Down six survivors? Pffft, easy.

Just for future reference, the perk objectives generally aren't killer locked. That means once you level the killer enough to buy the teachable and start getting them in other killers' bloodwebs, you can just take a killer you're more comfortable with and roll with that.

Like for Nurse, I got the blink cheeves but lol if you think I could get Thanatophobia + all 4 survivors injured simultaneously on her. I just played Legion with Thanatophobia and got it easy-peasy.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pyrolocutus posted:

Just for future reference, the perk objectives generally aren't killer locked. That means once you level the killer enough to buy the teachable and start getting them in other killers' bloodwebs, you can just take a killer you're more comfortable with and roll with that.

Oh yes, of course. But I figured that it was quicker to try to play with Nurse than to pump, what 35 or 40 levels' worth of bloodpoints into her to un lock Stridor :v:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh yes, of course. But I figured that it was quicker to try to play with Nurse than to pump, what 35 or 40 levels' worth of bloodpoints into her to un lock Stridor :v:

Fair enough :frogbon:

All of her perks are super on other killers though, so once you're comfortable with it, pump those bloodpoints in and then just leave her until you work up the courage to try learning her in earnest. At least that was my approach :v:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:siren: Trickster buffs incoming :siren:

quote:

Good news, everyone! We’ve prepared some changes to The Trickster in time for the 4.6.1 Bugfix Patch. Our goals with these changes are to make him feel better to play, as well as giving him a slight boost in power without feeling oppressive to play against.

Keep Up

Increased movement speed while throwing knives from 3.68 -> 2.68m/s to 3.86 -> 3.68m/s
Increased Main Event movement speed to 3.86m/s
Decreased Killing Part Chords & Caged Heart Shoes effects respectively

To help The Trickster keep up during a chase, we’ve increased both his maximum and minimum movement speed while throwing knives. The speed penalty from throwing multiple knives is now significantly lower than before. This allows you to lose less ground while using your power and land more knives before losing sight of the Survivor.

Draw Faster

Decreased wind up time (readying knives) from 0.5 seconds to 0.35 seconds
Increased wind down grace period from 1 second to 1.25 seconds

To make his power feel more fluid, we’ve decreased the time it takes to ready his power. This will both feel better to use and give you a larger window to throw knives. As you’ll be able to keep up much better than before, the grace period before you can do a basic attack after cancelling your power has been increased slightly.

More Control

Removed spread on thrown knives
Greatly decreased recoil

Initially, The Trickster launched with both spread (random inaccuracy to each knife thrown) and recoil. As landing multiple hits on a sporadically moving Survivor can be a challenge on its own, we’ve removed spread and significantly decreased recoil. This will give you much more control and make your accuracy more dependent on your own skill.

Miscellaneous Changes

Finally, rounding off the list with some various but still notable changes:

Increased the initial Laceration decay timer from 15 seconds to 20 seconds: This gives you a longer window to follow up with additional blades before the Laceration meter decreases
Decreased post-Main Event cooldown from 10 seconds to 5 seconds
Iridescent Photocard can now injure Survivors

All of the changes listed above are planned for the 4.6.1 Bugfix Patch. Thank you to everyone who left us constructive feedback. As we’ve done with other Killers, we’ll be monitoring The Trickster’s performance and making further updates if necessary in a later update.

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/240987

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Sounds good

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
"gently caress it, we'll do it live" - BHVR's approach to balancing when they have an active public test branch.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

"We've removed spread" my god, they did a cool thing for a bad killer and it didn't take months lol

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
That's word for word what Dowsy asked for in trickster.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

They would of course also nerf the one thing he was kind of good at, baiting people into getting dodge happy with knives and then M1 smacking them.

Meanwhile I'm doing the archive for three Iri Malicious emblems. Figured I'd go easy mode and use Discordance Spirit. 4K (two gen grabs), emblem barely achieves gold :suicide:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

DeathChicken posted:

They would of course also nerf the one thing he was kind of good at, baiting people into getting dodge happy with knives and then M1 smacking them.

eh, if he's as consistent at placing knives as it sounds like, then I think rewarding survivors who can read the killer well enough to dodge knives at close range will make him more fun to play against, and encouraging that play from survivors rewards tricksters that can manage being too difficult to read.

in theory, I think it's fine. but of course we'll have to see how it works out in practice :hai:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

It'd be a lot nicer if his power, which already requires 8 hits to damage someone, didn't have a decay on it at all (like, would require a heal check to remove instead) but this is at least something.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
If his knives are actually threatening now, then readying your knives is going to have the same effect as Huntress readying a hatchet - people will start preemptively maneuvering to dodge them.

Also Maliciousness is partly gained based on hitting the survivors, so gen grabs actually prolly hurt your ability to get Iri maliciousness. I'm not even sure if a grab counts as a hit for Maliciousness purposes, but I'm gonna bet if it does then it only counts as one for grabbing a healthy survivor.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Watched a video where somebody has an interesting idea on laceration decay.

I'm 100% certain that decay is in there so that you can't get everybody to seven knives and then quickly injure and down everybody. That makes sense, but decay existing makes it so that the trickster can't pressure multiple people without wasting all the time they spend hitting the first person seven times.

The video I just watched had the suggestion that if you had hit somebody one to three times they would decay down to zero, but if you'd hit somebody four or more times they would decay down to four. It's a good balance where you don't lose everything on an escape, but you also can't abuse the lack of any decay at all.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

rydiafan posted:

Watched a video where somebody has an interesting idea on laceration decay.

I'm 100% certain that decay is in there so that you can't get everybody to seven knives and then quickly injure and down everybody. That makes sense, but decay existing makes it so that the trickster can't pressure multiple people without wasting all the time they spend hitting the first person seven times.

The video I just watched had the suggestion that if you had hit somebody one to three times they would decay down to zero, but if you'd hit somebody four or more times they would decay down to four. It's a good balance where you don't lose everything on an escape, but you also can't abuse the lack of any decay at all.

I like this because you can do a mass 50% strat, same thing that a plague can basically do.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Does laceration interact with the first aid kit in anyway? I was thinking if laceration didn't decay, but could be healed off with a kit, one meter (durability) for another (laceration) that could be interesting. Survivor has to think "I've got this kit, do I use it to clean the meter so he can't drop me so fast next time he sees me, or wait until he drops me to wounded and then get away to use the kit and get back to healthy, because I don't have enough kit to do both."

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Does laceration interact with the first aid kit in anyway?

It currently does not. There is zero method for manually "healing" laceration, which is why the terrible decay mechanic exists.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aww, I feel bad. I had killed three survivors as Bubba while they'd done one generator. I found the last one, they stopped running and started shaking their head. I figured I'll chainsaw them down to complete my daily ritual, then take them to the door, open the door and carry them out.

But I couldn't open the door. So the end result was some poor rank 20 puppy getting killed when I was trying to throw them a bone :(

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Aww, I feel bad. I had killed three survivors as Bubba while they'd done one generator. I found the last one, they stopped running and started shaking their head. I figured I'll chainsaw them down to complete my daily ritual, then take them to the door, open the door and carry them out.

But I couldn't open the door. So the end result was some poor rank 20 puppy getting killed when I was trying to throw them a bone :(

You can either let them struggle out or pick up/drop them multiple times. They'll eventually get back on their feet.

Alternatively, you can look for the hatch and drop them there. They'll be able to exit via the hatch while in the Dying state.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pinwiz11 posted:

You can either let them struggle out or pick up/drop them multiple times. They'll eventually get back on their feet.

Alternatively, you can look for the hatch and drop them there. They'll be able to exit via the hatch while in the Dying state.

Yeah the hatch would've been my next call but I had no idea where it could have been. Oh well, RIP little puppy, hope I didn't put them off DbD forever.

Or... all things considered... maybe I hope I did so they can live a fulfilling life?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

In these situations you can find the hatch and carry them to it. You'll be able to tell where it is while wandering around once you're down to the last survivor, it has a kind of aura sound.

Do not give hatch to teabaggers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh no, in my most recent Leatherface game I spawned very close to a survivor and saw them almost immediately. Chainsawed them down, hooked them... and nobody turned up to rescue them.

So that poor person died after like 10 seconds of gameplay and finished the round with 200 blood points. On the upside that did get me teachable BBQ & Chili so now I can play more Oni.

Next game: four survivors in a group together, all with Russian names, three with toolboxes, one with a medkit. Yep, I ain't playing that round. I'm not a big fan of queue dodging but loving christ life is too short for that poo poo.

E: next game, four man SWF sweat squad who were a bit too cocky and could have escaped with 1 fatality, but decided to be assholes and ended up getting three of them killed while the gates were open.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 9, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Oh no, in my most recent Leatherface game I spawned very close to a survivor and saw them almost immediately. Chainsawed them down, hooked them... and nobody turned up to rescue them.

So that poor person died after like 10 seconds of gameplay and finished the round with 200 blood points. On the upside that did get me teachable BBQ & Chili so now I can play more Oni.

Next game: four survivors in a group together, all with Russian names, three with toolboxes, one with a medkit. Yep, I ain't playing that round. I'm not a big fan of queue dodging but loving christ life is too short for that poo poo.

Multiple toolboxes with similar names is almost always a given to just dodge, it's not worth the LOL 1 SHORT CHASE THREE GENS DONE bullshit.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I had back to back games yesterday, one was three rank 1s (one was a streamer not notable enough to be famous but enough so I recognized their name). They ate my Spirit alive, the streamer was clicking a flashlight. Next game I went Jumpscare Myers on Midwich, everyone roughly around my level. One DCed, the other three got cocky when they realized I couldn't really chase them. Downed one just before the gates, the other two ran into Blood Warden. Whoops :v:

Literally the first time I've gotten that stupid perk to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It makes me laugh how much people make Blood Warden an excuse. When it works it's the most huge kick in the pants, but like how many people actually run fun things like that, opposed to the same old stuff that always does something.