Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it doesn't look like a trek uniform because it is a decent design for clothing a person might be willing to wear.

The collar looks impossibly uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

infernal machines posted:

Her husband, who would later lose an election to Barack Obama, tried to force her to participate in sex clubs against her will.

What was that thing where trump could directly be related to jeri ryan being hired on trek?

or am i misremembering and it was obama winning the election.

i specifically remember a reddit r/conspiracy theory about this

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Do the arms go all the way to the floor?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

alexandriao posted:

What was that thing where trump could directly be related to jeri ryan being hired on trek?

or am i misremembering and it was obama winning the election.

i specifically remember a reddit r/conspiracy theory about this

Are you thinking of this post?

quote:

Star Trek: Voyager was not as well received as previous Star Trek series. In 1997, producers decided to add a new character in an attempt to boost ratings. Actress Jeri Ryan was brought in to play Seven of Nine.

Jeri's frequent separations from her husband, Jack Ryan, due to her acting schedule contributed to their decision to divorce in 1999.

In 2004, Jack Ryan became the Republican nominee for an open Senate seat in Illinois. During the campaign, the proceedings from Ryan's divorce became public, and contained details of his sex life that did not make him look good.

The scandal forced Ryan to drop out of the Senate race in July, leaving the GOP time to only find token opposition to Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

Obama's landslide victory in the Senate race helped launch him onto the national stage, allowing him to pull off an upset victory in the 2008 Democratic primary and win the presidential election.

TL;DR- The lackluster writing of Star Trek: Voyager helped pave the way for the Obama presidency.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Collateral posted:

Do the arms go all the way to the floor?

She accidentally put on Saru's coat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

Oh I figured they left once they solved the problem.

nah brian fuller was the one who set it in TOS and he was kicked off before the show started and tbh it's pretty obvious none of the other writers ever wanted to be in TOS so they just went 'gently caress it' and just moved the setting permanently to the 32nd century where they can blow up the federation all they want

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm less offended by Discovery now that they are in the 32nd century, but the show isn't really any better.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

everyone in tos was sweating like crazy because of the lighting. using large, intense and radiantly hot lights during all indoor scenes was just how the filming worked. with a few exceptions (gorn), the costumes weren't particularly heavy or restrictive.

I was talking about the movie uniforms with the last part.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, yeah. those always looked very heavy and layered.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

oh, yeah. those always looked very heavy and layered.

ah. terrellian fashion.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It’s genes future, why are there even clothes at all?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

these are the voyages of the uss struggle bus. *crying* today was hard...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, picard and kirk had their problems but when the alternative is a captain who constantly cries in public general aloofness starts looking pretty good.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

reminds me of when mst3k did king dinosaur and they were mocking the fact that all the strong lady scientists were constantly crying or too scared to care about science plus they were all wearing culottes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I don't want to mock people for crying in their workplace because I've seen it enough IRL. But it's always been in the worst, most toxic workplaces. It's not to my knowledge something people want to be doing.

You can make your sci-fi characters human without them breaking into tears every episode. At some point it just becomes cheap pathos.

All that said, no one is visibly crying in that screenshot.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Stargate is really good and Teal'c owns. Especially his love of ice cream.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

Stargate is really good and Teal'c owns. Especially his love of ice cream.

His sense of style was pretty good too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Big fan of forehead jewelry?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

His clothes you dork.

Every time they go out he's like "better cover my head and dress low key" but always rocks outfits that would draw attention.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

that episode (edit: the thaw) should have been fifteen minutes long and ended with the crew wishing harry a tearful goodbye as they leave him to sustain the evil clown forever

they can always get a new harry later, probably

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rectal Death Deft posted:

Or the time they got annoyed at the happy sitcom life the Doctor was enjoying and told him it needed to be more realistic before killing his daughter.

Right up there with the entire command staff just breaking in on Barclay's holodeck time using their security overrides when he is late for work instead of finding a replacement on a military ship with over a thousand people that has like four entire shifts worth of manpower.

Look, it's the frigging holodeck, if someone doesn't leave at their appointed time you probably need to send in a team to help them escape from the clutches of holosatan.

Rectal Death Deft
Jan 10, 2020

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Borg Queen's origin was in a deleted First Contact scene where Georgi accidentally asked the holodeck computer for a woman that could defeat Commander Riker

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sounds more likely that Riker asked the holodeck for a sexy robot who won't quit.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
riker would be perfectly happy to be defeated by a sexy lady.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't like the VOY/early DS9 uniforms. The blue turtleneck undershirt thing sucks poo poo.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Dabir posted:

I don't like the VOY/early DS9 uniforms. The blue turtleneck undershirt thing sucks poo poo.

I think you’ll find that it is in fact you who is the one that sucks

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
jumpsuits suck poo poo in general.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

jumpsuits suck poo poo in general.

I think you'll find this is a speed suit

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The only good uniform was picard's jacket and blue sweater combo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

First Contact uniforms>TOS movie unis from WoK-forward>everything else

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Early tng dress uniforms 💯

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
McCoy's disco suit, and the rest are trash.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the disco suit wasn't a uniform even though it really should have been.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

the disco suit wasn't a uniform even though it really should have been.

<First Contact with V-Ger probe>
<Ilia points at McCoy"
"This carbon-based unit fucks"

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

What luck that they managed to beam up Disco Mcoy in the two and a half seconds he wasn’t currently pantsless and boning down.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

They keep a pair of pants stored in the transporter buffer just in case. This became known as Code Blue Balls under transporter Chief O'Brien.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Got to the Voyager where they go to the Delta Quadrant's version of Risa and Janeway is unwilling to either gently caress the dude who's offering the tech to get them home OR make a deal with the other dude who only wants the Federation's library in exchange, basically forcing several senior staff members to go behind her back. First episode where I've seen the way-too-othodox Janeway people talk about.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Man, ENT: Harbinger is horny even for Enterprise.

B-plot? How about three people rubbing each other?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

They do it more than once.

It's never any less desperate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Enterprise figured out exactly what would get them off broadcast TV with regards to how much of Jolene Blalock's naked body they could show, and then pulled the camera back 0.5° so they could air it.

Going to spoiler it even though this was on network TV. Enterprise had exactly no shame.