Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hopefully I haven't unwittingly been driving a stinkmobile around, at least nobody yelled at me or threw up on me up until I stopped driving with other people a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

learnincurve posted:

My parents refused to believe that their air conditioning filter and gas bottle needed periodically changing on a car they owned for 20 years.

What's a gas bottle?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ford Focus have a bottle for R134 refrigerant which needs topping up (and changing if you haven’t filled it for 20 years) If you don’t then I’m not sure what gets pumped round the car but it smelled like petrol fumes and wet dog.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Atticus_1354 posted:

What's a gas bottle?

The street term is "jenkem".

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

the phrases "here comes the Incredible Hulk" and "there goes the Incredible Hulk" from this old sweatshirt Marvel used to sell

have the same rhythm as the bonus points music from Alien Crush (PCE / TG16, 1988)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi9XOTS7-ZM

... I want it

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I somehow just learned that Dustin Rhodes was Goldust. In my defense, I only occasionally watch wrestling.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Did I know Mick Foley was Mankind and Cactus Jack?!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

And Dude Love

And the best.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
But one time Mankind, Cactus Jack and Dude Love were all in a sit down in interview together! Are you telling me late 90s wrestling would engage in chicanery?!?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Scotland Yard is not actually in Scotland.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Them investigating crimes In london probably shoulda tipped you off.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I just figured it’s full of Scots

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think the misconception comes from all the weird UK stuff. I'll break it down :

The UK (which is Ireland, Scotland, London, and Wales) is all part of England. So Scotland Yard is actually in London in England, while Scotland the country is in the UK which is part of England, but not part of London.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the misconception comes from all the weird UK stuff. I'll break it down :

The UK (which is Ireland, Scotland, London, and Wales) is all part of England. So Scotland Yard is actually in London in England, while Scotland the country is in the UK which is part of England, but not part of London.

Someones asking for a carbomb.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Scotland Yard is not actually in Scotland.

TK-42-1 posted:

I just figured it’s full of Scots

Like the Scots had the best investigative minds and agencies and they just kinda made it an official entity. I don't care if it's not real, it's real to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Like the Scots had the best investigative minds and agencies and they just kinda made it an official entity.

The noted historical documentarian Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has led me wrong

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That’s where they meant to keep all the scots but then they kept getting out and they sent detectives to find out how and then all the scots were gone and it was just the detectives left

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Scotland Yard” started as a form of metonymy. It’s the same thing as when the Prime Minister’s office is referred to as “Downing Street”. London’s police headquarters used to have an entrance on a street called the Great Scotland Yard. The street was, in turn, named that probably because a lot of important Scots resided there way back when, sort of like “Embassy Row” is today in Washington D.C..

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think you should leave the explaining to someone else, buddy

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think a couple of you got whooshed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

You trying to tell me that Scotland Yard isn't located in London in England?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Someone better update the UK venn diagram with London and Scotland Yard. No other way to explain it really.

E. It's axtually just a british englishism in that drives so much confusion imo. Scotland yard is where detectives live while Scotland garden is the yard outside a Scotland house.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Apr 9, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just learned that Samoa effectively time traveled itself two days into the future by switching its time zone to jump the international date line, a fact you'd think I'd remember since it was only a decade ago. And I learned it in the PYF comics thread, no less!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just learned that Samoa effectively time traveled itself two days into the future by switching its time zone to jump the international date line, a fact you'd think I'd remember since it was only a decade ago. And I learned it in the PYF comics thread, no less!

Wouldn’t it be one day into the future? Or 23 hours?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Dross posted:

Wouldn’t it be one day into the future? Or 23 hours?

Because of when they did it, they effectively skipped December 30, going straight from 11:59 PM December 29 to 12:00 AM December 31. (I think that's right; UTC-11 is exactly 24 hours behind UTC+13.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, I was being kinda casual in my phrasing, they effectively skipped a day so I was loosely generalizing jumping from Thursday to Saturday.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Platystemon posted:

“Scotland Yard” started as a form of metonymy. It’s the same thing as when the Prime Minister’s office is referred to as “Downing Street”. London’s police headquarters used to have an entrance on a street called the Great Scotland Yard. The street was, in turn, named that probably because a lot of important Scots resided there way back when, sort of like “Embassy Row” is today in Washington D.C..

Well yeah you want the police quartered there if all those dodgy Scots are around.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Prince Philip was old enough to have a birth registered in Julian calendar, which was month or two behind the actual calendar depending on the country. So his centennial should have been something else than his birthday and subject of a recount similar to the recent US elections.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Der Kyhe posted:

Prince Philip was old enough to have a birth registered in Julian calendar, which was month or two behind the actual calendar depending on the country. So his centennial should have been something else than his birthday and subject of a recount similar to the recent US elections.

So he was at least 270 years old?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

EasilyConfused posted:

he was clearly 440 years old, since the julian calendar went out of use in 1582 duh

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Carthag Tuek posted:

he was clearly 440 years old, since the julian calendar went out of use in 1582 duh

England didn't adopt until 1752.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

I mean

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sean Astin is not James Corden.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EasilyConfused posted:

England didn't adopt until 1752.

your mom didnt adopt it at all so

(also he wasnt english)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Sean Astin is not James Corden.

stop lying

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh, right, sorry. Let's try again: Legally speaking, Sean Astin is not James Corden.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Carthag Tuek posted:

(also he wasnt english)

Ah, didn't realize that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh, right, sorry. Let's try again: Legally speaking, Sean Astin is not James Corden.

tack så mycket, min finska kompis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

EasilyConfused posted:

Ah, didn't realize that.

He was Greek but the Greek royal family was Danish so he was a lot of things.