Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I think I remember drinking a Coca Cola Blak once. Apparently I didn't hate it because I can't quite taste the flavor in my memory. I was tempted because they had it at Aldi but I guess I'll just stick to off-brand cokes instead. Summit Cola! It's half the flavor for half the price! But the savings you get from all the other things you bought from Aldi give you enough satisfaction that you don't quite care!

Also I got a case of the Belle Vie sparkling lemon and grapefruit each and those are the best sparkling waters I've had in a while. The lemon + malibu on the rocks is insanely delicious. La Croix is twice the price and has like a whiff of the flavor.

I really want the cases of San Pellegrino limonata or blood orange but I don't trust myself. I'd chug it all in like a day. It's too good. It's diabolically good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Merkin Muffley posted:

At my last restaurant, we had a semi-traditional pre-shift drink that was a rocks glass of Coke topped with a shot of espresso. We dubbed it the "short and nasty."

It was OK I guess.

Since that's a restaurant I'm assuming that "Coke" here refers to the narcotic?

On gross work drinks, we came up with a cocktail to rival the Arnold Palmer, it was the "Phil Mickelson", and was UHT milk and Pink Drink (artificial POG flavored koolaid I think?) you had to drink it down fast before it curdled, but it otherwise tasted ok.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like the color scheme and it's what I go for when I frost cupcakes or something, I might in fact frost a cupcake with this stuff, but there are several extremely good reasons I don't have "bite-sized pieces" of just the frosting.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Aardvark! posted:

that is not a lot of ham. That's two deli slices folded over

Which is a normal amount of ham for a sandwich. American sandwich toppings are ridiculous.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Which is a normal amount of ham for a sandwich. American sandwich toppings are ridiculous.
No that sandwich looks like what I make when my fridge is empty. Like you wake up, realize work exists, slap whatever terrible cheap ham you have on those rolls you bought a week ago that are stale as insulation but edible. You put cheese on it hoping it'll help but it's just cheese. It can only do so much. The bread soaks up all the wet ham juice and you put condiments on it but they just made soggy bread goo so you have a wet dry soggy chewy sandwich that's unsatisfying and makes you grumpy.

Calling that a Cubano would get you slapped in most of Florida and it should.

e: Man I'm angry about the terrible sandwich I made myself for lunch today. Dang.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 12:03 on Apr 10, 2021

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Elviscat posted:

Since that's a restaurant I'm assuming that "Coke" here refers to the narcotic?

On gross work drinks, we came up with a cocktail to rival the Arnold Palmer, it was the "Phil Mickelson", and was UHT milk and Pink Drink (artificial POG flavored koolaid I think?) you had to drink it down fast before it curdled, but it otherwise tasted ok.

My son is a big fan of a nice lukewarm Almond Palmer

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

spankmeister posted:

I think you've just been fooled by those prepackaged sandwiches they sell all over europe where it's like two half-slices shoved way to the front of the bread to make it look like a good sandwich but the rest is empty. Those sandwiches suck. I don't like the kind where it's like an entire pound of deli meat you can't even fit in your mouth, but 2 slices is a pretty sad sandwich.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
a lot depends on the quality of the ingredients. like this sandwich here only has a few thin slices of meat but heck

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

spankmeister posted:

Buddy: ridiculous is good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think you've just been fooled by those prepackaged sandwiches they sell all over europe where it's like two half-slices shoved way to the front of the bread to make it look like a good sandwich but the rest is empty. Those sandwiches suck. I don't like the kind where it's like an entire pound of deli meat you can't even fit in your mouth, but 2 slices is a pretty sad sandwich.

I don't eat those. But a sandwich with a literal inch of meat and another inch of cheese is wasteful and unhealthy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you have good bread you don't need all the toppings. Not much good bread in the states.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Oh god I just had a mouthful of that "ruby" chocolate stuff and it's absolutely foul.

It's like bitter and sour and tart all at the same time, urgh.

Like if a raspberry hosed a chocolate bar, but like, in a bad way where it takes the worst parts of both flavours.

What is the worst part of the flavor of a raspberry? wtf, theres no bad part. There's no bad part to the taste of chocolate either!!!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

"Any steak thicker than 1 centimeter is symbolic of American excess"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

augias posted:

What is the worst part of the flavor of a raspberry? wtf, theres no bad part. There's no bad part to the taste of chocolate either!!!

I dunno I like both raspberry and chocolate and I also like strawberry creams, but this is somehow just... gross? Like it just tastes horrible. It's like you get the initial bite and you think "ah, chocolate" and then before the chocolate flavour completes you get this weird loving fruit flavour and it just makes you feel like there is something wrong with it.

Like it's not chocolate and raspberry it's like, half of the flavour of chocolate and half of the flavour of raspberry, so you're just tasting two lovely attempts at good flavours.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 13:55 on Apr 10, 2021

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

If you have good bread you don't need all the toppings. Not much good bread in the states.

There's plenty of great bread in any bakery or supermarket with a bakery though

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I don't eat those. But a sandwich with a literal inch of meat and another inch of cheese is wasteful and unhealthy.

lol what an awful take

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

FFT posted:

:eyepop:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Can you imagine spankmeister seeing a gyro or doner kebab for the first time lmao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FFT posted:

Muffuletta sounds great but I'd have to get it at a place where they sell it by the thin wedge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't object to meat eating but I've never wanted to eat that much deli ham at once.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno I like both raspberry and chocolate and I also like strawberry creams, but this is somehow just... gross? Like it just tastes horrible. It's like you get the initial bite and you think "ah, chocolate" and then before the chocolate flavour completes you get this weird loving fruit flavour and it just makes you feel like there is something wrong with it.

Like it's not chocolate and raspberry it's like, half of the flavour of chocolate and half of the flavour of raspberry, so you're just tasting two lovely attempts at good flavours.
It tastes like someone melted a Whitman's sampler and a bag of white chocolate Lindor truffles together. It's not right, in every possible way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fizzymercury posted:

It tastes like someone melted a Whitman's sampler and a bag of white chocolate Lindor truffles together. It's not right, in every possible way.

Yeah the strawberry lindors is the closest I can get except those are actually nice, whereas the ruby poo poo is horrible. It's weird again how they can be close but very different.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Muffuletta sounds great but I'd have to get it at a place where they sell it by the thin wedge.
This is why a proper muffaletta is served in quarters? What's even the problem

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I remember going to a NYC deli and getting a sandwich that was like someone sliced a salami stick then put a thin slice of rye on either end. I had no idea how to eat it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brawnfire posted:

I remember going to a NYC deli and getting a sandwich that was like someone sliced a salami stick then put a thin slice of rye on either end. I had no idea how to eat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyvOj-ICuAQ

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

spankmeister posted:

Allow me to post like a European for a minute,

That's because your country has disgusting, tasteless meat. :smug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Precisely, and great bit.

Like, who is that for? I mean I definitely demolish small stacks of salami out the fridge but there's a limit.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

timefly posted:

There's plenty of great bread in any bakery or supermarket with a bakery though

A shortage of dedicated bakeries too. Supermarket bakery bread is better than sliced, but it's never amazing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brawnfire posted:

Like, who is that for? I mean I definitely demolish small stacks of salami out the fridge but there's a limit.

Tourists

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well, I guess it worked on us. I'm guessing the point is to alienate them, right?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they're going to the Carnegie Deli it's because they are going to a show at Radio City Music Hall and when they get home will tell the story of the giant pastrami sandwich they ate that they had to wait 2 hours for a table for.

Of course it's out of business now so

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

A shortage of dedicated bakeries too. Supermarket bakery bread is better than sliced, but it's never amazing.

i hate how hard it is to find a bread bakery in most of the sprawl of america. sure i can find a place with 14 kinds of cake in almost any rural city, but they almost never peddle in bread.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Aardvark! posted:

i hate how hard it is to find a bread bakery in most of the sprawl of america. sure i can find a place with 14 kinds of cake in almost any rural city, but they almost never peddle in bread.

Have you tried your local panaderia? Mexican bakeries are everywhere and they make some good cheap bread (and cakes, cupcakes, etc) in my experience.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The economics of bread bakeries was always hosed, there's a reason you had to bring your own bushels of wheat forever. Not surprising brick and mortar bakeries turn to donuts and cake pops to sell sugar at premium prices instead of trying to make 5 cents a loaf.

There's nothing wrong with the soft forever un-stale cake breads sold in grocery stores (and is the basis of the same poo poo they bake in grocery store bakeries) and I'll get it for sandwiches if I'm like on vacation or something. But I've otherwise settled on getting a Trader Joes loaf which is surprisingly real or baking my own.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Bread is good

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The problem is that Bread is Industrialized

And Artisinal Bread costs.

If a two dollar loaf suffices, the eight dollar loaf that tastes better is at a disadvantage.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Morrison's do salt & pepper rolls that are like super tiger rolls and amazing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Pepperidge Farm makes the best bread for sandwiches (potato or sourdough are the best kinds). I've never made a homemade loaf that comes close.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

zedprime posted:

The economics of bread bakeries was always hosed, there's a reason you had to bring your own bushels of wheat forever. Not surprising brick and mortar bakeries turn to donuts and cake pops to sell sugar at premium prices instead of trying to make 5 cents a loaf.

There's nothing wrong with the soft forever un-stale cake breads sold in grocery stores (and is the basis of the same poo poo they bake in grocery store bakeries) and I'll get it for sandwiches if I'm like on vacation or something. But I've otherwise settled on getting a Trader Joes loaf which is surprisingly real or baking my own.

plenty of countries have both brick and mortar dedicated bakeries in addition to fresh bread at the supermarket. not sure why it works in some places but not others tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

baw posted:

plenty of countries have both brick and mortar dedicated bakeries in addition to fresh bread at the supermarket. not sure why it works in some places but not others tho

probably momentum. almost nowhere in america has buying bread direct from a bakery been a normal part of life; you grew up on bagged bread from the grocery store, like your parents. unless you're in a trendy urban environment you'll never make enough money to stay open because people don't even consider it an option