Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

No one gave a shot about what Tayshaun Prince had to say

Now you're making me look at win share by year, tayshaun not yet isolayshaun in 04-05 was 9.4 ws. That's only .2 less than league leader karl malone in 1998-99. drat dude. But he still wasn't the best defender on his team. He actually had more than Ben Wallace that year, Chauncey was at 15.5, he was good .

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wallara01.html
What do you guys make of Rasheed Wallace's advanced stats. He was really dominant at times but also didn't mind stepping aside and spacing the floor. He would play defense and box out and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Sheed would be an absurdly good player in the modern NBA

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Sheed would fit in during any era and be very good. One of my all time favorite players.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Sheed is kinda overrated because he was cool and had flashes of all timer type talent but he didn't really put it all together as often as you'd like aside from maybe one Portland season. But other than Billups he's definitely the guy from that team who would hold up the best now. The defense for Big Ben would still play but he wasn't even a good roll man or play finisher and it's harder to get away with a complete offensive zero now

E: prince might be okay, his defensive skill set is even more valuable now but he'd have to shoot to stay on the court as much as he did back then. He had an okay career three point percentage but he was only shooting like 1 a game. And I guess maybe Rip would turn all those mid range jumpers into threes and be fine, he was a good free throw shooter and made lots of long twos so he could probably stretch out, the shot profile he had was just already kinda weird back then and flat out doesn't exist now

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 10, 2021

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Sheed's numbers aren't that impressive but he did play on incredibly slow paced teams. I think his 3pt shooting wouldve been a lot better in this era too.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

League in trouble

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

euphronius posted:

Sixers are toast .

Should have traded for harden

I honestly believe they didn't want Simmons. No way Tilman wanted to run out a team deep in the luxury tax the next 3 years waiting for Wall's contract to expire.
Think about how everyone was baffled after they traded Oladipo and essentially got nothing but picks for Harden. Could of have had Lavert, maybe Allen it was all a sham. They wanted picks and no salary, they just offered Oladipo a contract to look good.

Tl;DR Harden was never going to Philly.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Wait people actually think levert is a good player

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

chilihead posted:

I honestly believe they didn't want Simmons. No way Tilman wanted to run out a team deep in the luxury tax the next 3 years waiting for Wall's contract to expire.
Think about how everyone was baffled after they traded Oladipo and essentially got nothing but picks for Harden. Could of have had Lavert, maybe Allen it was all a sham. They wanted picks and no salary, they just offered Oladipo a contract to look good.

Tl;DR Harden was never going to Philly.

This is true but ignores the fact that they could have flipped Simmons at the trade deadline like they did Oladipo and probably gotten a bigger return.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

League in trouble

Apparently Theresa Weatherspoon was able to convince him to actually take a shot like that. The subtext in his answer is that Zion doesn't like to try things in game that he doesn't have full confidence that he has mastered. Which kind stinks. He needs to experiment and see what more he can do. It's understandable because he doesn't want to hurt the team by trying something he fears he isn't good enough at and failing.

With that said, Zion brought the ball up 35 times last night. SVG said that this is going to be more of a regular occurrence.

Also, Hayes looked comfortable out there on the perimeter against non - bully forwards. Maybe he is the PF of the future and not the center? Working on his corner 3 and it don't look bad, either.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

And I guess maybe Rip would turn all those mid range jumpers into threes and be fine, he was a good free throw shooter and made lots of long twos so he could probably stretch out, the shot profile he had was just already kinda weird back then and flat out doesn't exist now

Ingram enthusiastically takes those kinds of shots now, though he doesn't get them the same way Rip did.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

dokmo posted:

Whenever he gets the ball you just know he will dribble for 12 seconds, never look up, never pass, and take a lovely off-balance shot to end the possession. That's what he does.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
That's a generous "midrange"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kibner posted:

Ingram enthusiastically takes those kinds of shots now, though he doesn't get them the same way Rip did.

Yeah Rip was doing a lot of running around pin downs and poo poo like JJ Reddick but to set up foul line jumpers instead of threes, Ingram is more traditional star iso ball stuff.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MourningView posted:

Yeah Rip was doing a lot of running around pin downs and poo poo like JJ Reddick but to set up foul line jumpers instead of threes, Ingram is more traditional star iso ball stuff.

Yeah, agreed. I was mostly talking about shot location stuff where Ingram hunts for those 10-15 foot shots on the baseline, elbow, and free throw line.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

dokmo posted:

Now that he’s not on the nets i can admit that he’s basically just an andrew wiggins who gives about 60% more effort. Still love him though

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rip Hamilton led the league in 3PT% during one of the Flip Saunders’ years. He’s just forever associated with the midrange game because that’s how he established himself and was the leading scorer on a title team.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Sheed would fit in during any era and be very good. One of my all time favorite players.

His tiny hands kept him from being a GOAT.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Henchman of Santa posted:

Rip Hamilton led the league in 3PT% during one of the Flip Saunders’ years. He’s just forever associated with the midrange game because that’s how he established himself and was the leading scorer on a title team.

I remember thinking of him as a 3 point shooter. Is the year he led, the year he shot 1.5 threes per game? Wild how different the game was not that long ago.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

He did but it was also shooting like 1.5 a game so it was probably only when he was like comically open. The year where he had the most attempts per game he shot under 30% and he's generally just kind of all over the place percentage wise because the sample was never very big. For his career it was 34% which isn't anything special but like I said I'm sure he'd be shooting way more of them and working on making it the focal point of his game if he came up now, for the most part anyone who shoots that well on long 2s and free throws can stretch out to the 3 point line fine if they actually work on it.

Spacebump posted:

I remember thinking of him as a 3 point shooter. Is the year he led, the year he shot 1.5 threes per game? Wild how different the game was not that long ago.

Even for his era he was unusually mid ranged focused, at least for a guy who wasn't really dribbling a ton and taking so many catch and shoot jumpers

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 10, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

MourningView posted:

He did but it was also shooting like 1.5 a game so it was probably only when he was like comically open. The year where he had the most attempts per game he shot under 30% and he's generally just kind of all over the place percentage wise because the sample was never very big. For his career it was 34% which isn't anything special but like I said I'm sure he'd be shooting way more of them and working on making it the focal point of his game if he came up now, for the most part anyone who shoots that well on long 2s and free throws can stretch out to the 3 point line fine if they actually work on it.

Even for his era he was unusually mid ranged focused, at least for a guy who wasn't really dribbling a ton and taking so many catch and shoot jumpers

One of the biggest things I remember about him was his ability to use screens to get shots.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the east is lovely enough and the bulls are mediocre enough to finally hurt me again

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I’m about to lose my patience with the Grizzlies FO about Jaren. If he’s healthy, loving play him. This is the first time the office has done something to get me riled up, so I realize what a blessing that is, but I cannot keep watching Dillon Brooks play Kobe.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Jokic (8.8) currently breaking Wilt's record for assists per game in a season as a center (8.6). Getting some boost with Jamal Murray out but good lord can he pass

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Metapod posted:

why didnt zach jump and steal the oop

Lmfao

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

I think that’s why it always felt to me like he would have the quietest 28-point games imaginable. A death by a thousand cuts approach to offense.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1380967415660560389?s=21

Lol

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

If u think about it the original nfts, were cyberdusts

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Why does Anthony Tolliver look like he's a fit 65 year old

NickRoweFillea posted:

I’m about to lose my patience with the Grizzlies FO about Jaren. If he’s healthy, loving play him. This is the first time the office has done something to get me riled up, so I realize what a blessing that is, but I cannot keep watching Dillon Brooks play Kobe.
Tanking poisons the soul

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 10, 2021

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

loving hell

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is Cuban brain damaged ? Should we not make fun of him

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
6 hour probation for calling him a b*llionaire

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
Mavs finally land a superstar free agent in the form of a Kawhi Leonard top shot

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1381016579274641412

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

reading the replies has taught me about all the different kinds of cryptogrift out there

kingcobweb posted:

6 hour probation for calling him a b*llionaire

to be fair mark cuban is a gigantic b-slur

i hope they sell a minority stake to kg

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this owns I hope it happens

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dutchy posted:

Mavs finally land a superstar free agent in the form of a Kawhi Leonard top shot

Danny Ainge was this close to trading two top shots and a signed Faker jersey for Action Comics #1

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1381017992545308674?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Good news . Hopefully they will be able to move the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

euphronius posted:

Good news . Hopefully they will be able to move the team

Please don’t I would like there to remain a team within driving distance from me whose tickets aren’t way too expensive for a lovely team (*glares at Chicago*)

Seattle doesn’t need more pro sports go watch Russell Wilson do some dumb bullshit