Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Used to be on the left, that was the style at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

When you wear your onion on your belt is it hanging against your left leg or your right.

With modern technology, you can just get a belt buckle that says "onion" and have all the magical properties without the trouble of replacing your onion when it gets moldy.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
The onion talk blew through page 1054 so fast we didn't have time to make any jokes about schisms.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We've still got 1378 and 1521 to look forward to now that the great "should you eat onions raw" schism is over

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
this thread will become a pale shadow of itself long before then, on page 1204

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Gaius Marius posted:

We've still got 1378 and 1521 to look forward to now that the great "should you eat onions raw" schism is over

1378 will be the great hot dog debate schism.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

The onion eaters will never be in full communion with the potato eaters.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

We onion eater need to be on guard, we may have struck down the anti raw faction, but I've heard reports of Cooking, Roasting, Frying, and mincing. Even more disturbingly I'm hearing reports out of the Americas of something known as the "Bloomin' Onion"

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
We also have to consider cultural factors regarding onions. Just like Indian food has to tone down the spices when selling to midwestern Americans, different cultures are going to have different opinions on how “strong“ raw onions are.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

ughhhh posted:

In india and nepal, a common meal/snack is chapatti (flat bread), rawonions (usually red/sharpest kind you can get), cucumbers and whole chili.

Also at McSorley's, one of the oldest irish bars in nyc, one of the snacks is a plate of sharp cheddar, raw onions and homemade mustard. Want to go back one I get the vaccine.

Yeah this is the kinda food I'm picturing, and it comes in many different forms in many different countries, though I mostly know about Indian food. I haven't read any sources about it and it's not like peasants wrote anyway, but I feel like most common people in history would have had their mouths water at the idea of a raw onion.

Maybe the Don was just being picky, perhaps even compared to the actual Knights who went on campaigns and would run into much worse logistics issues.

Here's a common side dish in India, especially with Tandoori food, you don't need to add all the ingredients:

1 chopped raw onion, whichever type you want but red is favoured, ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder, ½ to 1 teaspoon chaat masala, 1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves (or coriander leaves) and salt as required

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 8, 2021

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Grand Fromage posted:

Go for it, I only shut it down if it's both crazy off topic and going on for too long. This thread started as Roman history specifically so the entire middle ages are included as far as I'm concerned. The Roman Empire is still in living memory in 1492, which is the typical end date for medieval Europe when people feel the need to specify one.

Which is now making me wonder if there were any people born in the Roman Empire who visited the Americas. There's a few decades in there where it could've happened.

The last known Palaiologos/ person who claimed to be one died in the Barbados.

Mr Havafap
Mar 27, 2005

The wurst kind of sausage
Eyy, move over Pompeii:

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/egypt-lost-city-rise-of-aten-scli-intl-scn/index.html

Edit: drat did any of you hear of this earlier? Seems the news only broke a day so , how do they keep stuff like this under wraps for what must have been months of excavations?

Mr Havafap fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 9, 2021

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr Havafap posted:

Eyy, move over Pompeii:

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/egypt-lost-city-rise-of-aten-scli-intl-scn/index.html

Edit: drat did any of you hear of this earlier? Seems the news only broke a day so , how do they keep stuff like this under wraps for what must have been months of excavations?

I assume an NDA where you get swallowed by the mummy's curse if you talk about it would keep it from leaking until they're ready.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

sbaldrick posted:

The last known Palaiologos/ person who claimed to be one died in the Barbados.

My great-great uncle (I think?) claimed to be a Palaiologos. Complete bollocks but the weird family tree he made is pretty interesting.

IIRC he mostly just tried to use it as a way of not paying parking tickets

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

All hail Emperor Whorelord, the true heir to Augustus' legacy

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress if I tried to ticket a guy and he snapped back that he was the last of the clan Palaiologos I wouldn't loving do it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whorelord posted:

My great-great uncle (I think?) claimed to be a Palaiologos. Complete bollocks but the weird family tree he made is pretty interesting.

IIRC he mostly just tried to use it as a way of not paying parking tickets

There are still a good number of living Palaiologoi, but whether they're actually imperial descended, related to the family some other way, or just bullshitters is pretty hard to say. My guess is all of the above and the records just aren't there to say for sure. Various members of the imperial line moved around Europe and intermarried so there's probably at least a few old nobility types who have imperial Palaiologos ancestry.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah all of the extant Romanovs (and through them probably all the royal houses of Europe) would be able to reliably trace back to Zoe Palaiologina, which is at least a female descent. Now I'm curious if there's a patrilineal line though

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mr Havafap posted:

Eyy, move over Pompeii:

The understanding that within 30 minutes of someone mentioning it at a bar or online there's going to be 10+ looters beelining too itm

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Page 1066 is going to be wild.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

cheetah7071 posted:

My understanding is that Caesar had his supporters (or slaves? idk) read his works aloud in the forum, to make sure his exploits stayed fresh in the minds of the citizens who he was trying to woo. Definitely not the same as printing a hundred thousand copies for all the middle class inhabitants of the city, but it was a mass market work.

I wonder how often these readings were punctuated by advertisments and reminders not to poo poo on the streets

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress if I tried to ticket a guy and he snapped back that he was the last of the clan Palaiologos I wouldn't loving do it.

He got arrested for brandishing a sword at one point.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Whorelord posted:

He got arrested for brandishing a sword at one point.

Checks out, he's legit

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/DigitalMapsAW/status/1380914545170997248

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

Page 1066 is going to be wild.

Pick a page, pick a year. 1492 is when they really start to get long, of course:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1055

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If we let loose on some more culinary chat we could make 2021 before Dec 31.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Oh hell yes.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Gotta check out that Japanese restaurant.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
https://twitter.com/art_mohn/status/1380578580539830276?s=19

There is no way this isn't what it looks like, is it?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
For pyramid diet, while we can't replicate the bread exactly, you can get pretty close if you remember to chew on sand between bites of your bread of choice. Don't forget to die early of horrific dental disease.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Shellception posted:

There's probably no way we can ever know for sure. I can however gurantee someone's stuck that up their rear end.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Shellception posted:

There's been lots of them found in Egypt, and they're all about this size:

so probably not.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

so probably not.

This, people, is why context is important

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Deteriorata posted:

so probably not.

I see. That makes sense, thanks for the info!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

so probably not.

Even I could take that one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I do not retract my claim.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Any dildo's an amulet if you're brave enough.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Origin posted:

Any amulet's a dildo if you're brave enough.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Deteriorata posted:

so probably not.

It is interesting that the carved details on the ends of these seem to duplicate the palm/papyrus leaf designs on the tops of Egyptian columns. Did ancient Romans or Greeks do anything similar on their personal artifacts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Deteriorata posted:

so probably not.
This is one of the little thingies you see on the outside of Official Scrolls and poo poo in drawings of ancient times, right?