Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I just started an INT/FYS playthrough, and I find myself with the ability to punch a small child to advance, but not the will to do so. Is there anything worth seeing for perpetrating child abuse, or should I just deal with the insults and move on?

E: Also, is there any evidence I could gather to convince Kim that I'm the real killer? I had high hopes for that check but Kim just shrugs it off and Ive got nothing

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nix Panicus posted:

I just started an INT/FYS playthrough, and I find myself with the ability to punch a small child to advance, but not the will to do so. Is there anything worth seeing for perpetrating child abuse, or should I just deal with the insults and move on?

If you succeed at KILLING HIM according to Half Light, whose advice you should always follow he respects you.

If you fail You swing and miss HARD, and you get a new quest to make truce with him by finding and giving him smokes which also gives you XP and gets you access to whatever knowledge he has.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

EorayMel posted:

If you succeed at KILLING HIM according to Half Light, whose advice you should always follow he respects you.

If you fail You swing and miss HARD, and you get a new quest to make truce with him by finding and giving him smokes which also gives you XP and gets you access to whatever knowledge he has.

I've never had the second offered to me. But usually I either succeed or don't try. Hmm.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Those things appear, those events occur, because of what you did. And it also makes you think about what you're not seeing because of your choice.

And it's not just stats. There are SO many small, seemingly inconsequential things that end up becoming throughlines that tie everything together. Running jokes, callbacks,, metaphors, references. Picking some silly option because it sounds good in the first ten minutes of the game has an actual impact on conversations you'll be having 20 hours later! It's unbelievably cool, and it really makes it feel like even the low stakes choices genuinely matter.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a comprehensive list of the possible names you can have? Obviously there's the big three - Harrier, Costeau, and Sunset. But can't you roll with "The Officer" as well? I'm not sure if there's other less common ones available.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
One of the things about Evrart discussion from a couple pages back I've noticed is: a lot of people seem to have missed the conclusion to his story, where it becomes clear that he didn't actually want a war and that was posturing made to intimidate wild pines into giving up without a fight. Even the drug trade stuff is more complicated than it seems, because he deliberately played it up so that you would share it and the trade itself he's running seems to be aimed at undercutting an existing and horribly murderous network in greater revachol. Which is part of why Ruby thinks you've been sent by the drug kingpin in Jamrock.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I finished the game like 3 times so far and it is incredible how the entire thing seems like a prequel to Disco Elysium 2- Jamrock Shuffle or something. There's so much backstory and so much interesting setting teased that I just immediately want to continue playing with harry and kim in jamrock. I really hope they make a direct sequel in a few years.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know, I do hope we get to see Jamrock in it's entirety some day. But that might be a tall order, it is big:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/discoelysium_gamepedia_en/images/7/70/Revachol_-_Jamrock_District.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20191025213735

The entire gameworld of DE is right there, at the top and you can even get a good scale of it: that island there is the one in the bay, for instance.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

NewMars posted:

One of the things about Evrart discussion from a couple pages back I've noticed is: a lot of people seem to have missed the conclusion to his story, where it becomes clear that he didn't actually want a war and that was posturing made to intimidate wild pines into giving up without a fight. Even the drug trade stuff is more complicated than it seems, because he deliberately played it up so that you would share it and the trade itself he's running seems to be aimed at undercutting an existing and horribly murderous network in greater revachol. Which is part of why Ruby thinks you've been sent by the drug kingpin in Jamrock.

I... don't think anyone missed any of this?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

NewMars posted:

You know, I do hope we get to see Jamrock in it's entirety some day. But that might be a tall order, it is big:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/discoelysium_gamepedia_en/images/7/70/Revachol_-_Jamrock_District.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20191025213735

The entire gameworld of DE is right there, at the top and you can even get a good scale of it: that island there is the one in the bay, for instance.

It's quite abstract, I've got to say

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Nix Panicus posted:

as noted above, punching the twelve year old's lights out will lead to an unexpected friendship. you can then steal drugs for him. afterwards you can brag about the entire affair to disgusted, shocked rené

but you can deal with the situation like a noncrazy person, and just ignore the childish insults i guess

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, this is a great one:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5dr1EHvfwpNZ5nYHgJtTgRr4no7m-UWY

The guy often pauses to ramble about political side topics the game got him thinking about, and he's pretty lefty

Thanks!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Doing a little do-over shortly into a new game, already noticing a lot of different lines simply going from 2/3/4/3 to 2/4/4/2

I missed the necktie and welcome the new voice acting for it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Someone linked me a graph of all passive checks for skills which Ive since lost, and all skills get real chatty at 4 points

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Tiler Kiwi posted:

People rightly talk up DE's writing for being extremely good, but I want to see more people recognize that its mechanical choices are also extremely good.

[snip]

Not only that, but this second (and third) playthrough, where I'm more detached from the game's story and know much of what there is to know, who hides what, what a Revachol is etc... and am focusing more on the gameplay itself rather than being thoroughly immersed in it all is making me *very* impressed by how deeply everything is really interconnected, especially the dialogues. Those arborescences and checks must look like a schyzophrenic conspiracy theorist's whiteboard. Like, Harry picks up one bit of contextual information from this person, and now when that person says A Thing he puts 2 and 2 together and his own replies are shaped by that, even when it's purely for flavour ; or he can now ask one more thing from yet another person, depending on the order he picked up the info...

Also the interconnection between dialogues and orbs - you can get new dialogue ideas just by noticing some stuff, and in turn after having been told about something you can now notice it in the world (prime example would be the bollards strewn across the waterfront - Harry thinks nothing of them when you get out of the Whirling, but after you've had a schooling on pétanque, when he passes by them he now thinks "now that's a real man's boule")

It's all impressively forethought and elegant.

GlyphGryph posted:

And it's not just stats. There are SO many small, seemingly inconsequential things that end up becoming throughlines that tie everything together. Running jokes, callbacks,, metaphors, references. Picking some silly option because it sounds good in the first ten minutes of the game has an actual impact on conversations you'll be having 20 hours later! It's unbelievably cool, and it really makes it feel like even the low stakes choices genuinely matter.

Yeah, that, exactly !

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 10, 2021

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Nix Panicus posted:

E: Also, is there any evidence I could gather to convince Kim that I'm the real killer? I had high hopes for that check but Kim just shrugs it off and Ive got nothing

You should punch the child because you won’t do that irl

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

goblin week posted:

You should punch the child because you won’t do that irl

And then shoot the other child so that you can really prove your authority over the children of Martinaise, and so Kim can arrest you and throw you in jail where you belong, you horrible monster.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I read a theory that cunoesse is some kind of cryptid brought on by the pale,it’s just imitating its environment (cuno’s ginger hair,the foul mouth,the woodland language)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

punching cuno goes pretty well iirc

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Fuligin posted:

but... but Kim’s opinion of me...

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

dmboogie posted:

but... but Kim’s opinion of me...

Pretty sure Cuno stays up longer than Kim if that's what's holding you back :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Pssh, who cares what that binoclard thinks

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
To what lengths have people gone to piss off Kim to the point he leaves? I almost don't want to know.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Fuligin posted:

yes this was very much fun

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

To what lengths have people gone to piss off Kim to the point he leaves? I almost don't want to know.

is there even anything that can break him that badly besides calling him a slur in the church

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Good news: finally got past the issue with the car, and got my badge back!

Bad news: I've almost finished with the church quest, but when I climb the monument to check the connections the game just slowly pans out and there are no interaction prompts

Progress, I guess?

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I wonder if anybody else wishes that the story had been less linear and on rails based on your actions throughout the game. I don't think you can avoid the tribunal, you cannot avoid meeting the deserter, Evart, the cops at the end of the game. You have choices, but they mostly affect the flavoring of the plot, the plot itself seems to stay pretty much exactly the same throughout the game regardless of what you do, as long as you manage to move forward. I realize that this is likely a limitation of how much crazier it would have been to make the game with all of those additional vastly separate branches, instead of forcing them into the same path.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 10, 2021

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

I wonder if anybody else wishes that the story had been less linear and on rails based on your actions throughout the game. I don't think you can avoid the tribunal, you cannot avoid meeting the deserter, Evart, the cops at the end of the game. You have choices, but they mostly affect the flavoring of the plot, the plot itself seems to stay pretty much exactly the same throughout the game regardless of what you do, as long as you manage to move forward. I realize that this is likely a limitation of how much crazier it would have been to make the game with all of those additional vastly separate branches, instead of forcing them into the same path.

on top of the logistical issue, I felt like the game did a good job of making it clear - you are just one dude, a cop without much actual power, in a place that's got several groups already in control of all the power. your ability to alter the events that have already been set in motion days/months/years in advance is going to be pretty small.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DreadCthulhu posted:

No. A tightly focused narrative is what makes Disco Elysium good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I think it would undercut the games themes if you were able Great Man of History your way through the aftermath of a drunken bender

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Captain Oblivious posted:

No. A tightly focused narrative is what makes Disco Elysium good.

this. not every good rpg needs to be as open as new vegas and such. disco is basically a game about a detective whos mind gets so loving blasted that he becomes a rorschach test for the player so people can come to different shades of story and different things speak to them even if they hit the same plot points. id sorta compare it to rashoman in some ways. everyone has their own view of the events and harry can somewhat share them with that reflection.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You could argue that it makes it less of an RPG than a visual novel.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

christmas boots posted:

well its a hell of a good one then. i'll take a visual novel like disco over "art" games like everybodys gone to rapture

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

christmas boots posted:

It's very much a similar type of deal to Planescape: Torment, except it gets to take advantage of nearly two decades of video game development and discourse to realize what was good about that game and what was bad and unecessary in order to make a superior product.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

christmas boots posted:

It’s a point and click adventure. Like Kings Quest or Gabriel Knight or Phantasmagoria.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Which disco elysium skill check is the king's quest 5 "throw a pie at the yeti" puzzle

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well its a hell of a good one then. i'll take a visual novel like disco over "art" games like everybodys gone to rapture

I didn’t say that as a criticism of the game

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this game has a way of making you feel frightening from time to time

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

EorayMel posted:

Which disco elysium skill check is the king's quest 5 "throw a pie at the yeti" puzzle

The skill checks are story built upon underlying the point and click structure.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

christmas boots posted:

I didn’t say that as a criticism of the game

i know. i was just being an rear end. i like the game alot and i wish more "art" game makers take notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

frajaq posted:

this game has a way of making you feel frightening from time to time

Get high Half-Light (dunno the cutoff, I had 8). Talk to Gaston about pétanque. He's been holding out on you this whole time, the absolute fucker. Make him tell you what he knows, ALL OF IT.
When good cop/bad cop fails, unhinged cop to the rescue !